**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Invited for interview.......18 AA, 20 TS, 19 PAT......2.82 overall, 2.85 science post bacc: 3.65 Graduate: 3.10........Can anybody tell me what is the video questions interview about from Kira? Scheduled for Sept 22, 2018 at 8 am.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If anyone interviewing on Sept 8 want to meet up the day before, message me!

Invited for interview.......18 AA, 20 TS, 19 PAT......2.82 overall, 2.85 science post bacc: 3.65 Graduate: 3.10........Can anybody tell me what is the video questions interview about from Kira? Scheduled for Sept 22, 2018 at 8 am.

We reached the general consensus on the forum that we're not sharing questions from the video interview. They're not hard, just prep as you would for any interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
the questions are pretty straightforward and don't require much preparation! they also give you some time to think about your response before it starts recording you so it's not too bad.
Thx for the info I will start them tommorow.

I got an email stating this:
Dear Applicant:

The Dental Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and the next step in the process is an interview. Interviews help us gain information about the applicant which is not found in the application. At the same time, the interview gives the applicant a chance to discuss factors not easily written on an application and the opportunity to learn more about our school.

Some applicants live far away from Detroit and we understand that a trip here could be expensive and time consuming. However, we feel that selection of a dental school is something that cannot be done from a catalog. You owe it to yourself to speak with faculty and students, as well as to see our school.

Please email me at: [email protected] to schedule your interview appointment. The dates available are Saturday September 22, 2018 at 8:00a.m.(Limited seats open) Saturday October 6, 2018 at 8:00 am or 11:30 a.m. (Limited seats open). Email as soon as possible to schedule your interview as the dates fill up fast. Also allow up to 72 hours for a response before you make your travel arrangements. A confirmation email will be sent.

If you are not able to schedule your interview or no longer interested in our program, please have the professional courtesy to email us and let us know.

There is a mandatory one step process that you must complete before your scheduled interview date. You will be receiving an email from Kira stating "You been invited for an interview for the Class of 2023", please complete the recorded video questions by no later than a week after it has been received; please check your spam/junk inbox. If it not completed during that time, the Office of Admissions will reschedule your interview to a later date.

Please note: We must receive your Application Processing Fee of $125 as well as your 2" X 2" (passport-sized) photograph with signature and CAS ID on back prior to the interview. If the fee is not received, your interview will be rescheduled to a later date.

Once your interview is confirmed, we will NOT reschedule unless you have a valid reason (ie: death in family, poor weather conditions, illness - we will require documentation). You were given a choice of dates, so it is your responsibility to ensure that you arrive on the date YOU chose.

Does that mean its the real UDM interview for the class of 2023?

I got an email stating this:
Dear Applicant:

The Dental Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and the next step in the process is an interview. Interviews help us gain information about the applicant which is not found in the application. At the same time, the interview gives the applicant a chance to discuss factors not easily written on an application and the opportunity to learn more about our school.

Some applicants live far away from Detroit and we understand that a trip here could be expensive and time consuming. However, we feel that selection of a dental school is something that cannot be done from a catalog. You owe it to yourself to speak with faculty and students, as well as to see our school.

Please email me at: [email protected] to schedule your interview appointment. The dates available are Saturday September 22, 2018 at 8:00a.m.(Limited seats open) Saturday October 6, 2018 at 8:00 am or 11:30 a.m. (Limited seats open). Email as soon as possible to schedule your interview as the dates fill up fast. Also allow up to 72 hours for a response before you make your travel arrangements. A confirmation email will be sent.

If you are not able to schedule your interview or no longer interested in our program, please have the professional courtesy to email us and let us know.

There is a mandatory one step process that you must complete before your scheduled interview date. You will be receiving an email from Kira stating "You been invited for an interview for the Class of 2023", please complete the recorded video questions by no later than a week after it has been received; please check your spam/junk inbox. If it not completed during that time, the Office of Admissions will reschedule your interview to a later date.

Please note: We must receive your Application Processing Fee of $125 as well as your 2" X 2" (passport-sized) photograph with signature and CAS ID on back prior to the interview. If the fee is not received, your interview will be rescheduled to a later date.

Once your interview is confirmed, we will NOT reschedule unless you have a valid reason (ie: death in family, poor weather conditions, illness - we will require documentation). You were given a choice of dates, so it is your responsibility to ensure that you arrive on the date YOU chose.

Does that mean its the real UDM interview for the class of 2023?
Yes. Congrats!

I got a question does anyone know about the INBDE? Do they have Deck Cards and First Aid similar to NBDE Part I and II?

The video interview questions are not hard, don’t worry. They know many of you will be nervous so it is ok. I didn’t do too well on my video interview but I still was accepted if that makes anyone feel less nervous.

Reactions: 3 users
Just finished my Kira interview. First 2 questions I was a little nervous and kinda rambled, but 3rd I did ok and 4th and 5th I killed it. Best advice is to just get it over with if you haven't already. I applied here during the 2017 cycle, but got waitlisted. Got a job as a dental assistant and did a lot of volunteering since then and now I'm back for round 2!

Reactions: 1 users
Just finished my Kira interview. First 2 questions I was a little nervous and kinda rambled, but 3rd I did ok and 4th and 5th I killed it. Best advice is to just get it over with if you haven't already. I applied here during the 2017 cycle, but got waitlisted. Got a job as a dental assistant and did a lot of volunteering since then and now I'm back for round 2!
Did you interview anywhere else during the cycle?

I only applied here and UofM which was a mistake. More schools=more chances but it also=more $$$. Only got the interview for here.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the interview style of UDM? like is it open file, closed file, MMIs and so on?

If anyone interviewing on Sept 8 want to meet up the day before, message me!

Hey, I'm Interviewing on September 8 as well. I can't message you, your account settings might be different.

Where are the rest of you planning on staying? The hotels there seem to be pretty expensive.

Who is interviewing on Sept 22nd? I am.

What is the interview style of UDM? like is it open file, closed file, MMIs and so on?

It is an open file interview and you will likely be interviewed by two faculty members. They have your application in front of you which they have already gone through prior to your interview. Questions can range from traditional questions such as "why dentistry/why UDM" to activities in your application such as "how has activity X helped you in your pursuit of dentistry/what important lessons have you learned from this experience".

The interview is natural so you can expect to have follow-up questions to specific things mentioned during your interview. For example, if you discuss a specific activity such as dental shadowing in your application and comment on some of the positive experiences, they could follow-up and ask you something such as "what was one of the biggest challenges/drawbacks you observed".

There are also specific ethical/situational questions that they have in their interview package that I think they ask all applicants.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to comment/PM me if you need anything clarified. Good luck to all applicants!

It is an open file interview and you will likely be interviewed by two faculty members. They have your application in front of you which they have already gone through prior to your interview. Questions can range from traditional questions such as "why dentistry/why UDM" to activities in your application such as "how has activity X helped you in your pursuit of dentistry/what important lessons have you learned from this experience".

The interview is natural so you can expect to have follow-up questions to specific things mentioned during your interview. For example, if you discuss a specific activity such as dental shadowing in your application and comment on some of the positive experiences, they could follow-up and ask you something such as "what was one of the biggest challenges/drawbacks you observed".

There are also specific ethical/situational questions that they have in their interview package that I think they ask all applicants.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to comment/PM me if you need anything clarified. Good luck to all applicants!
Will they ask me this question "What am I going to bring to UDM?"

Hey, what do you mean by interview packet? They provided questions?

Where do you find the interview package at?

Sorry for the confusion. The faculty members interviewing you have a package and within that package, there are specific questions they ask.

Sorry for the confusion. The faculty members interviewing you have a package and within that package, there are specific questions they ask.
U mean my online application package?

Where do you find the interview package at?
The faculty members have an interview package, not you. Each faculty that interviews you gets a package that details your application, and there are questions on there that they will need to ask you .

The faculty members have an interview package, not you. Each faculty that interviews you gets a package that details your application, and there are questions on there that they will need to ask you .
U mean my online application one?

Does anyone know how long the interview lasts?

I am scheduled for the 11:30am interview session and am hoping to take a flight out at 5:50pm that same day. Does this seem feasible or cutting it too close?
I think you should be ok. Intervjew day usually ends at around 3.

Did u interviewed and accepted at UDM? If so stats please?

last year cycle UDM interviewed about 800 applicants for 140 spots , they made total of 260 offers from 800 interviewees so that is only 5.7% . They place everyone they interviewed, and not offered initial acceptance, on the wait list => so only 120 applicants from about 500 students on waitlist got in.
If you have an interview and low stats do not count on being accepted. If you are on the UDM waitlist and have low stats do not count on being accepted. Minimum GPA~=3.5 , minimum DAT ~= 20.
DAT & GPA count the most !! ( about 90% towards the decision )

cystinosis, A moment ago

last year cycle UDM interviewed about 800 applicants for 140 spots , they made total of 260 offers from 800 interviewees so that is only 5.7% . They place everyone they interviewed, and not offered initial acceptance, on the wait list => so only 120 applicants from about 500 students on waitlist got in.
If you have an interview and low stats do not count on being accepted. If you are on the UDM waitlist and have low stats do not count on being accepted. Minimum GPA~=3.5 , minimum DAT ~= 20.

cystinosis, A moment ago

Where did you get these stats from? The official guide does not have any information about how many people were interviewed last year. If you have the proofs share them please.

Where did you get these stats from? The official guide does not have any information about how many people were interviewed last year. If you have the proofs share them please.

Based on the official guide, the GPA range of enrolled applicants was very wide, so was the DAT.

I wouldnt take what he says seriously. If it didnt come directly from adcoms, then it doesnt mean much.

What I posted are official statistics compiled for all dental schools!

Does anyone know how long the interview lasts?

I am scheduled for the 11:30am interview session and am hoping to take a flight out at 5:50pm that same day. Does this seem feasible or cutting it too close?
From what I heard, it goes until 4/ 4:30ish. That will be cutting it close as you will be fighting traffic out of the city to the airport and the airport is at least 20 min. from the school [really depends on traffic]. Plus DTW is a large airport...

In the ADEA guide, it says UDM interviewed 759 students for 143 seats (including international students) so you're not far off. However, I don't believe the chances of getting accepted with subpar scores are as low as you're claiming. Students have gotten in with GPAs significantly lower than 3.5.

And ~90%? If UDM's top priority is high GPA/DAT scores, why bother invite the others to interview in the first place? Sounds like a total waste of time.

In the ADEA guide, it says UDM interviewed 759 students for 143 seats (including international students) so you're not far off. However, I don't believe the chances of getting accepted with subpar scores are as low as you're claiming. Students have gotten in with GPAs significantly lower than 3.5.

And ~90%? If UDM's top priority is high GPA/DAT scores, why bother invite the others to interview in the first place? Sounds like a total waste of time.

Agreed! I think that if you are offered an interview, you tick off all boxes to potentially be accepted! Your interview is largely a determinant, and those “points” you receive during your interview will be reviewed to determine your final acceptance. You wouldn’t have received an interview without ticking those boxes.

I’m just trying to help you guys and when I post something it’s from official stats.
I went through the whole cycle last year and am now D1.
I got invited to 7 interviews: UDM , U Mich, NOVA, U Minnesota, Case W, U Buffalo, U Colorado . I decided to go only for 4 interviews: UDM , U Mich , Nova and Buffalo. I can answer question related to the procees and I know the stats too .
From all dental schools UDM places most students on their wait list.(Lots of hope and dissapointments too) You should read all previous years threads for UDM & get some good info that will help you.

Agreed! I think that if you are offered an interview, you tick off all boxes to potentially be accepted! Your interview is largely a determinant, and those “points” you receive during your interview will be reviewed to determine your final acceptance. You wouldn’t have received an interview without ticking those boxes.
This is what I was told on interview day as well, more or less.

Hi everyone! I’m interviewing on August 25th at 11:30. Would whoever is in charge of the group chat that’s going on PM me so I could join? Or if anyone has any instructions on how I may be able to PM that person let me know how? Thank you!!

Hi everyone! I’m interviewing on August 25th at 11:30. Would whoever is in charge of the group chat that’s going on PM me so I could join? Or if anyone has any instructions on how I may be able to PM that person let me know how? Thank you!!

Yo there’s a group? Can I have an add too?

Oh yes!
Most of applicants on UDM wait list do not get accepted. UDM places basically everyone they interview on the waitlist and they interview a lot of applicants, close to 800

Oh yes!
Most of applicants on UDM wait list do not get accepted. UDM places basically everyone they interview on the waitlist and they interview a lot of applicants, close to 800
I'm aware. That's not what I was disputing. I'm only saying 90% of the decision can't be based solely on the DAT and grades. Why waste your time interviewing students with lower scores if you're just going to toss them to the back of the line, regardless of how well the interview went? Find a way to stand out and your chances should improve greatly.

Please note that UDM states importance of following criteria when they evaluate for admission:
Science GPA: very important
Overall GPA: very important
DAT Quantitative: somewhat Important, DAT AA & all other sections: Very Important
INTERVIEW : Somewhat Important
LETTERS OF RECOM-MENDATION: Somewhat Important
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE : Somewhat Important

So you can see that GPA and DAT are main factors when UDM makes a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.