**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that UDM states importance of following criteria when they evaluate for admission:
Science GPA: very important
Overall GPA: very important
DAT Quantitative: somewhat Important, DAT AA & all other sections: Very Important
INTERVIEW : Somewhat Important
LETTERS OF RECOM-MENDATION: Somewhat Important
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE : Somewhat Important

So you can see that GPA and DAT are main factors when UDM makes a decision.

> Be UDM School of Dentistry
> Claim GPA and DAT are the two most important selection factors by far
> Invite applicants that don't meet either standards

Nice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Please note that UDM states importance of following criteria when they evaluate for admission:
DAT Quantitative: somewhat Important, DAT AA & all other sections: Very Important

This is not true. When I interviewed someone asked about this and this is how Dr. Jeffers responded:
DAT/GPA and the application itself will consist of 40% of the score they will give you (which is out of 20). The rest depends on your interview which includes the online interview. They higher your score, they higher the chances of getting in.

Reactions: 1 users
This is not true. When I interviewed someone asked about this and this is how Dr. Jeffers responded:
DAT/GPA and the application itself will consist of 40% of the score they will give you (which is out of 20). The rest depends on your interview which includes the online interview. They higher your score, they higher the chances of getting in.

Honestly man, no body REALLY knows exactly how they are evaluating people. I felt like i bombed my interview but still got it and with others they felt like they did everything right and still didn't get it. They change it up probably from year to year. All in all, and this is coming from a DS1 at UDM, I think the admissions process is poorly handled at UDM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
[

That is exactly what UDM published.
But then again who knows for sure

Last edited:
So DAT/GPA is out of 20 itself?

UDM published above information. Believe me, last year stats indicate that GPA & DAT are the most important factors (unless you were superior to other applicants by discovering a major cure for some disease).
Also in-state admitted applicants had lower overall stats than OOS because UDM gives preference to in state ( which my interviewer told me last year).

If anyone interviewing on Sept 8 want to meet up the day before, message me!
Hey, I'm Interviewing on September 8 as well. I can't message you, your account settings might be different.

Where are the rest of you planning on staying? The hotels there seem to be pretty expensive.
I am also interviewing September 8. However, my interview is at 11:30 and I live in Ann Arbor (just a bit over half an hour away), so I will be commuting to and from the interview the day of.

If you are considering UDM be prepared to pay one of the highest tuitions. Just to compare 1st year tuitions:
UNIVERSITY OF DETROIT-MERCY In-state $ 70,686 OOS: $ 70,686
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN In-state: $ 32,817 OOS: $ 51,312

If you are considering UDM be prepared to pay one of the highest tuitions. Just to compare 1st year tuitions:

we been knowing, move along

Yeah, if you are a MI resident, I heard in their interviews, they especially try to sniff out those who simply want to treat them as a backup to Michigan. But given this fact, if they also get into Michigan, then unless UDM gives them enough scholarships to make attending UDM a better option financially, chances are they will choose Michigan. And if they don't get into Michigan, but get into UDM and some other OOS schools, there won't be much of an incentive for them to remain in MI.

we been knowing, move along

not all know it.
I am just thinking why you want UDM?? Assuming from your name you are Canadian. then you can go into a Canadian dental school for as little as CD$ 5K at McGill or Montreal for CD$3 K or BC for CD$ 18K (I just looked it up on ADEA).

not all know it.
I am just thinking why you want UDM?? Assuming from your name you are Canadian. then you can go into a Canadian dental school for as little as CD$ 5K at McGill or Montreal for CD$3 K or BC for CD$ 18K (I just looked it up on ADEA).

we dont all have mcgill grades, bro. canadian dental schools are more competitive than canadian medical schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
not all know it.
we dont all have mcgill grades, bro. canadian dental schools are more competitive than canadian medical schools.
Adding onto this: we also have smaller class sizes in certain schools (ie Prairie provinces) and getting in out of province is extremely hard. GPA averages at around 3.8-3.9. Just as an example, UofT had a 3.93 average interview GPA, and 22AA.

Adding onto this: we also have smaller class sizes in certain schools (ie Prairie provinces) and getting in out of province is extremely hard. GPA averages at around 3.8-3.9. Just as an example, UofT had a 3.93 average interview GPA, and 22AA.

ontario students are at a huge disadvantage too, since our schools accept out-of-province students without mind, yet when we apply to out-of-province schools, we are only considered for 1-3 seats. i have meh stats, there's no shot in hell i'm getting into Canadian schools. However, I have FOUR interviews to American schools, supportive parents, and line-of-credits/loans that are available to me. I'd love to live in the States as well, so its the best case scenario!

ontario students are at a huge disadvantage too, since our schools accept out-of-province students without mind, yet when we apply to out-of-province schools, we are only considered for 1-3 seats. i have meh stats, there's no shot in hell i'm getting into Canadian schools. However, I have FOUR interviews to American schools, supportive parents, and line-of-credits/loans that are available to me. I'd love to live in the States as well, so its the best case scenario!
Same with MI students. Michigan is the only state school in MI, and while they do give some favoritism to OOS students, they are more OOS friendly than many other state schools around the US.

On the last year's thread there was a Canadian who got into UofT with 3.8 GPA and 20 DAT so gave up the spot in May.

we have a groupme chat for people interviewing on aug25, dm me your name&phone number i can add you to our group
what about Sept 22nd interview?

what about Sept 22nd interview?
sorry, no idea. you should make a post to ask about that or make a group yourself. would be great to make some friends pre and post interview

sorry, no idea. you should make a post to ask about that or make a group yourself. would be great to make some friends pre and post interview
I think we should do the same thing as for the August 25 interview.

We should make a groupme for ppl interviewing on Sept 22nd. Do yall agree with that? Inbox me ur number asap.

On the last year's thread there was a Canadian who got into UofT with 3.8 GPA and 20 DAT so gave up the spot in May.
tbh i feel like uoft is such a luck-based draw. Watching threads of people who did and didnt get accepted is a real rollercoaster when you see a supposed 3.96 not get an interview but a 3.7 did, when their DATs are the same or worse. :/

tbh i feel like uoft is such a luck-based draw. Watching threads of people who did and didnt get accepted is a real rollercoaster when you see a supposed 3.96 not get an interview but a 3.7 did, when their DATs are the same or worse. :/
Are u interviewing at UDM on 9/22? If so, can we make a groupme chat so dm ur number asap???

Same with any dental school in the US. Basically, applying to dental school is pretty much like applying to the Ivies for college. For every dental school, there are people with amazing stats who you wonder why they were rejected, and people with mediocre or even low stats who you wonder how in the world did they get accepted.

Hi everybody. Was wondering if there are any Canadian applicants here. I read in previous year's forum that they needed to send their high school transcripts? But I can't find any info on it on the school's website. Please help!!!! panicking a little lol
"Canadian applicants, in addition to the application fee and photo, are also required to send their High School transcripts and official DAT scores to our office."
this was in the first email they sent to me telling me they have begun looking at apps and that they have received my app

"Canadian applicants, in addition to the application fee and photo, are also required to send their High School transcripts and official DAT scores to our office."
this was in the first email they sent to me telling me they have begun looking at apps and that they have received my app

thank you for the reply!!

Got in interview invite today!

October 6th

Last edited:
Interview: November 10

DAT: 21AA, 20 PA, 21 QR, 25 RC, 19 Bio, 21GC, 18 OC, 19 TS

cGPA: 3.58 sGPA: 3.51

Also got a interview invite today.

Reapplicant 21AA 22TS 3.43 GPA.

Interview #1
School: UDM
Notification date: 8/23/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: US Applicant
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/29/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.39, 3.29
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): (22/23/21/23/ none below 20)

Interview #1
School:
UDM
Notification date: 8/23/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: US Applicant
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/29/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.39, 3.29
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): (22/23/21/23/ none below 20)
When is ur interview?

For people who got interviewed,
Any interview insight on the interview?

Who else is interviewing on Oct 6th? Anyone interested in splitting the fee? Hotel, Uber, etc.
PM me if interested. I am male by the way.

Did my interview today at 8am. Was very laid back and conversational. They asked some questions about my app and a few scenario/ethics questions. From what I've seen people who interviewed later on in October had a complete opposite experience in that the interview felt generic/scripted.

Just finished my supplemental questions did anyone else freak out when they couldn't think of anything else to say and quickly hit space to end the video?lol

Who's interviewing 8th Sep?

We should make a groupme for ppl interviewing on Sept 22nd. Do yall agree with that? Inbox me ur number asap.
I am trying to direct message you because I got an interview for the Sept 22nd date, and I wanted to be added to the groupme. However, SDN isn't allowing me to direct message you. Any advice on how I can get you my number for the groupme?

Status
Not open for further replies.