***The Official University of Minnesota Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwdentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
Can you share your knowledge of why admission would put a huge accent on BCP GPA? Or is not as critical as I think since they consider your growth in the upper-division courses compared to this introductory but fundamentally courses.

Good luck everyone! :)

Last edited:
Just submitted application :) anyone else waiting from the school? is Minnesota early move or slow move school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Based off of last year's thread, interview invites should be going out next week

Based off of last year's thread, interview invites should be going out next week
sounds good. I really have to push my one final LOR to be uploaded. I am getting inpatient ;( Hope she uploads it tonight...

Does the school send a confirmation email when they receive your app and supplemental fee?

Does the school send a confirmation email when they receive your app and supplemental fee?

Yes, they do. The email will include check marks next to the staff they need.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, they do. The email will include check marks next to the staff they need.
Thanks, so since I submitted and paid yesterday, I should probably expect an email back soon?

Thanks, so since I submitted and paid yesterday, I should probably expect an email back soon?

Yes, I would expect by Tuesday.

I received an interview email 30 minutes ago! South Dakota resident with a 3.92 gpa and 22AA

I received an interview email 30 minutes ago! South Dakota resident with a 3.92 gpa and 22AA

Nice, congrats! I guess today was the day for invites.
3 interview invites, impressive :)
What school is your top choice?

Nice, congrats! I guess today was the day for invites.
3 interview invites, impressive :)
What school is your top choice?
Thanks! If I were single, it would be Minnesota because I can get instate tuition. But since I'm not, whichever school that accepts both me and my gf lol

Thanks! If I were single, it would be Minnesota because I can get instate tuition. But since I'm not, whichever school that accepts both me and my gf lol

That is an interesting situation :)
Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you mind letting us know on what date in august the interview is? I'm really hope I can catch this interview cycle!!

Do you mind letting us know on what date in august the interview is? I'm really hope I can catch this interview cycle!!
In the interview invitation email, they informed me I was scheduled for August 20th (first day of Fall semester at my school). I had no say in the matter, which is kinda weird considering how other schools let you pick from a handful of dates.

In the interview invitation email, they informed me I was scheduled for August 20th (first day of Fall semester at my school). I had no say in the matter, which is kinda weird considering how other schools let you pick from a handful of dates.

Yeah, I was kinda afraid something like that might happen me to also. My classes start in late August too and I'd hate to have to choose between an interview and move in day.

Thanks for letting me know, you've been a great help! Good luck!

A little confused on the secondary essay (first one). They do not expect us to write about all of those factors in that essay itself right?

"In evaluating an applicant's potential contribution to diversity, the DDS Admissions Committee considers the following factors"

This means looking at the essays written on the primary application and personal statement?
I have written a draft but read that sentence again and got a bit worried if they wanted all of those mentioned here.

A little confused on the secondary essay (first one). They do not expect us to write about all of those factors in that essay itself right?

"In evaluating an applicant's potential contribution to diversity, the DDS Admissions Committee considers the following factors"

This means looking at the essays written on the primary application and personal statement?
I have written a draft but read that sentence again and got a bit worried if they wanted all of those mentioned here.

"If accepted into the U of M DDS program, how will you contribute to the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry and to the diversity of the program? Please include your contribution to diversity in this essay and be sure to cite important points from your experiences. (STATEMENT OF CONTRIBUTION TO THE PROGRAM/DIVERSITY ESSAY) In evaluating an applicant's potential contribution to diversity, the DDS Admissions Committee considers the following factors: geographic diversity (e.g. rural), first generation college student, financial need, disadvantaged educational background, racial and ethnic diversity, evidence of outstanding leadership, special talents, high academic potential, unique work or service experience, community involvement, experience and/or interest in research or teaching, and interest in providing dental services to underserved areas. The School of Dentistry is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body of thought, interest, background, and intellect. Diversity enhances the educational experience of all students and better prepares our graduates to practice dentistry in today's world. Limit of 6000 characters."

As far as I comprehended, just write about what is applicable to your case. If you are not one of red colored case, you can't make thing up right. But anyone can express something within Blue cases.

So just write about what you can contribute to the class diversity.....:)

Just got an interview invitation today for September 6th!! cGPA 3.52 sGPA 3.48 AA20

• Love
Good luck everyone! I hope everyone can fulfill their dreams!

Interview #3
School:
University of Minnesota
Notification date: 8/8/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: SD
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/21/18
Application complete date: 7/9/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.89, 3.89
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 18AA, 17 TS, 19 PAT, 19 RC
Interview date: September 12

Wow, congrats on getting an interview with these stats!
I have been told by Dr. Lopez (dean) that applicants with high GPA should perform well on DAT to get an interview.
Do you think you had well-written essays or you worked in the research lab for years to get invited for the interview?

Thank you! I was worried about getting interviews with my DAT score, so I am extremely thankful to have received three! I have strong LOR's, conducted research with Delta Dental of SD, have 500+ hours working as a dental assistant in underserved areas, and have 500+ hours of volunteer/community service. I also feel as if I have a fairly strong PS and essays. So I think my EC's and research compensated for my lower DAT score.

That's great! I can see their interest in you!

Would you mind sharing Bio, GenC, and Ochem scores for DAT?
Thank you!

Anyone going interview on 9/20? it looks like they conduct interview every Wed/Thurs starting 8/22.

like 8/22,23, 8/29,30, 9/5,6, 9/12,13, 9/19,20 and so on.

I am not sure how many per day though!

I am beyond thrilled for this opportunity :) I am international as of now!!! OMG.

I need to dig into what kind of interview format UMN does... I heard it's closed!

Anyone going interview on 9/20? it looks like they conduct interview every Wed/Thurs starting 8/22.

like 8/22,23, 8/29,30, 9/5,6, 9/12,13, 9/19,20 and so on.

I am not sure how many per day though!

I am beyond thrilled for this opportunity :) I am international as of now!!! OMG.

I need to dig into what kind of interview format UMN does... I heard it's closed!

Hi,

Here are some notes that I took from the Webinar they held recently on their Interview Day:

350 Interviews for 110 Seats

Interviews from August 2018 to January 2019

Invitations via e-mail

Know yourself (strengths and personal interest)

Know the profession (current trends, topics, and issues in the field)

Know the school (what makes the school unique, why is it a good fit)

Interview attire is formal (recommended: suit)

Picture will be taken on the interview day

Interview Day:

Spend six hours at the School of Dentistry

1st group: 7:00 AM

2nd group: 9:30 AM

Interview:

Two on one

Structured (same questions)

Closed file (interviewers know nothing)

Competency-based or Behavioral-based

Usually lasts around 30-60 minutes

Length does not equal quality

Post-Interview:

December 1st: first day dental schools can send out acceptance letters

They do not fill entire classes on December 1st

Rolling admissions after December 1st, 2018

Padfolio?

No minimum DAT score

Class of 2018:

Academic Average: 20.8 (Range 17-25)

Reading Average: 21.95 (Range 17-30)

PAT Average: 20.35 (Range 15-25)

Total Science Average: 20.53 (Range 16-25)

Think of stories; ANSWER THE QUESTIONS (common mistakes made in the past)

Goal: 10 applicants per interview day

GPAs (Class of 2018):

BCP: 3.5? (Range: 2.93-4.00)

Total: 3.66 (Range: 3.17-4.00)

Science: 3.58 (Range: 2.97-4.00)

110 Seats Breakdown:

In-State: 70 Minnesotans (~65%)

Out-of-State/International: 40 Seats (~35%)

Interviewers are completely blind; don’t see application afterwards

Admissions Committee: Dr. Naty Lopez + other faculty members from SoD

Reactions: 6 users
Hi,

Here are some notes that I took from the Webinar they held recently on their Interview Day:

Invitations via e-mail

Interview Day:

Interview:

Two on one

Post-Interview:

Padfolio?

No minimum DAT score

Class of 2018:

GPAs (Class of 2018):

110 Seats Breakdown:

OMG thank you so much for the notes!! I couldn't attend due to working. Sounds great! Yeah I heard it's about 8-10 per day. Roughly 1:3 ish competition from now!!! So nervous.

What is current topics or trend for dentistry??!!!!!??? Hum.... need to ask around lol

Good Afternoon,

I hope everyone is doing well. I have an interview on 10/8 in the AM. I'm hoping to get a group together to explore the city before the big day!
Let me know!

Thank you

Hi,

Invitations via e-mail

Interview Day:

Interview:

Two on one

Post-Interview:

Padfolio?

No minimum DAT score

Class of 2018:

GPAs (Class of 2018):

110 Seats Breakdown:

Thanks again for sharing the notes. It was very kind of you.
Mine lasted only 30 min (a few min less) and other were more like 45-75min!!!
BUT I can see that "length does not equal quality" makes me calm down.Whoa. I had no follow up questions, which might have contributed the short duration of interview.

Thank again! and good luck to you as well!

Thanks again for sharing the notes. It was very kind of you.
Mine lasted only 30 min (a few min less) and other were more like 45-75min!!!
BUT I can see that "length does not equal quality" makes me calm down.Whoa. I had no follow up questions, which might have contributed the short duration of interview.

Thank again! and good luck to you as well!

If it makes you feel any better, mine was short too! There's really not much to expand on when it comes to situational questions.

If it makes you feel any better, mine was short too! There's really not much to expand on when it comes to situational questions.
I agree! and most questions were from my prepped pool of answers, so I answered every question right away which I think shortened time as well. I've gone through many situations (haha) so there was a lot to share.

Now waiting game! haha.

Do you have any others lined up? I don't have any yet. Well, international.

Anyone knows if they have any pre-dec invites left?

Anyone knows if they have any pre-dec invites left?

They continue interviewing through February I believe. Last year, I received an invite the second week of October for a November interview, if that helps :)

That is good to hear. I'm freaking out because I got my application in by the end of July, but people who applied in August with my same stats were invited weeks ago! I'm in state for Minnesota too! :eek:

That is good to hear. I'm freaking out because I got my application in by the end of July, but people who applied in August with my same stats were invited weeks ago! I'm in state for Minnesota too! :eek:
I believe I have seen that UMN fills OOS first, and then do In state later. (I think they wait till get more application for in state, which is good for in state, since they give preference to in state :) )

I went on 9/20 and out of 10 there were only 2 In state interviewees. All other OOS or international.

I believe I have seen that UMN fills OOS first, and then do In state later. (I think they wait till get more application for in state, which is good for in state, since they give preference to in state :) )

I went on 9/20 and out of 10 there were only 2 In state interviewees. All other OOS or international.

I've heard that this is true but I'm still very stressed out lol. I went to the UMN Dental school for a dental prep course last July and most of the in state D3 and D4 students I spoke to told me they applied pretty late in the cycle and also interviewed pretty late too. (At least two of them interviewed post December.)

Oh well, nothing I can do but hope for best and stay positive!

I don't believe this is accurate. Interviews began back in August, and a majority of interviewees at several of those early dates (that I know of) were in-state. Not that it matters, just wanted to provide some insight.

Thank you for all the info!

They continue interviewing through February I believe. Last year, I received an invite the second week of October for a November interview, if that helps :)
That's good. I thought they filled out their pre-dec.

I've heard that this is true but I'm still very stressed out lol. I went to the UMN Dental school for a dental prep course last July and most of the in state D3 and D4 students I spoke to told me they applied pretty late in the cycle and also interviewed pretty late too. (At least two of them interviewed post December.)

Oh well, nothing I can do but hope for best and stay positive!

For the in state, it's almost like they accept most of them. once you get an interview it means you are almost in lol look at the numbers wow. 79 interviewed and 66 enrolled. I am sure they admitted more, and some went on to other "good" schools in some cases.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 11.38.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 11.38.57 AM.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: 3 users
For those of whom received an invite to interview, do you only fill out those set of questions if you are interested in the summer research fellowship or would you suggest to fill them out anyway

@RMF.8 If you're referring to the Pre-D1 summer research fellowship email, only fill it out if you are considering the program. I had no interest, so I didn't fill it out. It won't hurt your chances of admission.

I got the interview invite half an hour ago!!! Guess there was no reason to panic after all! Feels like a mountain has been lifted from my shoulders, I was OCD refreshing my email all day and then it happened and I almost choked on my food!

Interview #2
School:
University of Minnesota
Notification date: September 28th, 2018
Residency: Minnesota
Application complete date: July 30th, 2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.24, 3.4
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/22/27
Dates available OR your interview date: October 17th

Last edited:
I got the interview invite half an hour ago!!! Guess there was no reason to panic after all! Feels like a mountain has been lifted from my shoulders, I was OCD refreshing my email all day and then it happened and I almost choked on my food!

Interview #2
School:
University of Minnesota
Notification date: September 28th, 2018
Residency: Minnesota
Application complete date: July 30th, 2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.24, 3.4
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/22/27
Dates available OR your interview date: October 17th

Congrats!
How long did you study for your DAT?
Also, did you went to UofM Twin cities?
Thanks

Congrats!
How long did you study for your DAT?
Also, did you went to UofM Twin cities?
Thanks

I studied for 2 months straight, from the start of May all the way to the beginning of July. (There's a detailed breakdown in my signature now!)

I don't attend UofM, I attend a top 50 university on the East coast. I really hope you get an interview also Firik!

I studied for 2 months straight, from the start of May all the way to the beginning of July. (There's a detailed breakdown in my signature now!)

I don't attend UofM, I attend a top 50 university on the East coast. I really hope you get an interview also Firik!

Thank you!
I thought UofM Twin Cities also top 50 university in the US.
Regardless, I know they like applicants who performed well on DAT especially with low GPA, which can tell them that you had a difficult university, but still gained a lot of knowledge!

Hi! I have my interview here in a couple of days and it is my first interview and I am freaking out... can anyone who has already had their interview answer a couple of questions??

1. If you were in the afternoon group, was your interview at the beginning, middle or end of your time there?
2. About how many questions did the interviewers ask you?
3. Were they ALL situational questions?
4. How many people are interviewing the same day?

Thanks guys!!

Hi! I have my interview here in a couple of days and it is my first interview and I am freaking out... can anyone who has already had their interview answer a couple of questions??

1. If you were in the afternoon group, was your interview at the beginning, middle or end of your time there?
2. About how many questions did the interviewers ask you?
3. Were they ALL situational questions?
4. How many people are interviewing the same day?

Thanks guys!!

I interviewed at the UofM a few weeks ago and was in the afternoon group. The interview was the last thing that we did. In my group, there were 4 other applicants, and 6 others interviewed in the morning.

All of the questions were situational, but I don't remember how many there were. My interview lasted an hour.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

Does anyone know what Minnesota is like clinically? Like # of patients, requirements, opportunities for more complicated stuff?

Does anyone know about this rule: Before re-applying for the third time, you must take a year gap and only then you can re-apply for the third time.

Does anyone know about this rule: Before re-applying for the third time, you must take a year gap and only then you can re-apply for the third time.

never heard of it.

Did adcoms increase the number of applicants they interview this year from 226 to 350? I do not believe, because they said they interview 10 applicants per day which means they need to have 35 interview days. Queenki mentioned it's every wed/thur but other posted that their interview on Monday. Based on this forum it's 3 times per month. 8/20, 8/22, 8/30, 9/5, 9/6, 9/20, 10/1, 10/17, 10/29. That would be 120 pre-dec applicants.

Edit: One more pre-dec on 11/14, so 100 pre-dec applicants have been interviewed!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.