***The Official University of Minnesota Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to reschedule my interview and they offered me dates on Mondayw all the way up into November. So Monday interviews are definitely a thing. (In addition to Wednesday interviews.) I don't know if Thursday interviews are still happening.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an interview invite today for October 29th! I’m a reapplicant this year, in state, was waitlisted last year.

Reactions: 1 users
What exactly is meant by a "situational interview?" Could anyone give a couple sample questions? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview invite today for October 29th! I’m a reapplicant this year, in state, was waitlisted last year.

Did you go to UofM for undergrad?
Do you know the reason for being waitlisted? Did you have pre-dec interview last cycle?

What exactly is meant by a "situational interview?" Could anyone give a couple sample questions? Thanks

That would be examples:
Tell me about a time you were in a leadership role, and how you handled it.
Tell us about a time when you had to step up between two parties to resolve a problem.
When was the last time you apologized to someone?

Did you go to UofM for undergrad?
Do you know the reason for being waitlisted? Did you have pre-dec interview last cycle?

I did not go to U of MN for my undergrad. I went to Hamline University. I’m a non-traditional applicant. My interview last year was in early November. No, they do not give you a reason for being waitlisted other than that they have filled the seats in the class.

I did not go to U of MN for my undergrad. I went to Hamline University. I’m a non-traditional applicant. My interview last year was in early November. No, they do not give you a reason for being waitlisted other than that they have filled the seats in the class.

Oh no, I though pre-dec interview is almost a sure thing.
I don't think Hamline's reputation would be a huge factor, but definitely, you didn't compete with 300 students for an A in ochem.
So, this is your second year applying correct?
I believe inviting you for a second time is a sure deal. I don't think you bombed an interview, so it must be your metrics that made your overall score a little lower. You should be great this time!

Did adcoms increase the number of applicants they interview this year from 226 to 350? I do not believe, because they said they interview 10 applicants per day which means they need to have 35 interview days. Queenki mentioned it's every wed/thur but other posted that their interview on Monday. Based on this forum it's 3 times per month. 8/20, 8/22, 8/30, 9/5, 9/6, 9/20, 10/1, 10/17, 10/29. That would be 120 pre-dec applicants.
Really?! I hope I get in!

Wait so the odds of getting accepted is higher if we interview on one of those dates listed?

The odds are higher if you had pre-dec interview compared to post-dec interview. The odds are even higher if there are only 120 applicants being interviewed for pre-dec and not 350 interviews as adcoms mentioned during the webinar. Lastly, the odds are highest if you in-state (65%) compared to OSS/International (35%).

The odds are higher if you had pre-dec interview compared to post-dec interview. The odds are even higher if there are only 120 applicants being interviewed for pre-dec and not 350 interviews as adcoms mentioned during the webinar. Lastly, the odds are highest if you in-state (65%) compared to OSS/International (35%).
Oh no im OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who have interviewed already- Have there been any unique or interesting questions? Preparing for an interview and am mainly working on behavioral questions. Hoping I'm on the right track for this years interview question types.

To those who have interviewed already- Have there been any unique or interesting questions? Preparing for an interview and am mainly working on behavioral questions. Hoping I'm on the right track for this years interview question types.
Yes there were unique and interesting questions. One of them even had me emotional to the point of crying. All I can say, and you have probably read it countless times on here, is be yourself. Let the answers flow while being as coherent as possible. You can pass on questions if you do not have immediate answers. The interviewers were extremely nice people so this will make it easier too.

Yes there were unique and interesting questions. One of them even had me emotional to the point of crying. All I can say, and you have probably read it countless times on here, is be yourself. Let the answers flow while being as coherent as possible. You can pass on questions if you do not have immediate answers. The interviewers were extremely nice people so this will make it easier too.

yes it seems like the interviews generally feel a lot more conversational than you might anticipate and I can definitely see how the questions could get you kind of emotional given the situations you choose to use for your answers. thanks!!

"Tell me about a time your failure affected others and what was the outcome?"

"Tell me about a time your failure affected others and what was the outcome?"

Thanks for the response! That’s an interesting one! Definitely allows you to display humility and several other qualities they might be looking for in a dentist. Thanks!!

Thanks for the response! That’s an interesting one! Definitely allows you to display humility and several other qualities they might be looking for in a dentist. Thanks!!
It's coming soon! Good luck!

I had my interview here a week ago, it was actually pretty laid back. My actual interview only lasted like 25 minuets and they gave us an hour to interview so I used the rest of the time to just ask the interviewers questions.

If anyone has any last minuet interview questions I might be able to answer them real quick!

Does applying for research program before dental school increase your chance of acceptance? I don’t know if I should do it.

Does applying for research program before dental school increase your chance of acceptance? I don’t know if I should do it.
The short answer is no, but also kinda. I asked this to a few D4 students, and they said it adds depth to an application, but it's not essential or even preferred. Just like a bonus of sorts. But they aren't the admissions committee so take that with a grain of salt.
Source: I work with them and drill them with questions any chance I get lololol

When you go for your interview you speak to the dean of admissions for a like half an hour with the other interviewees. She asked us if any of us had applied for the summer research program and I was the only one to raise my hand, so I think that made me look like a pretty good applicant for half a second. She told us that UofMN is highly research based also if that means anything.

It seems most people do not apply for a research and out of those that apply they compete for 10 spots. If you get the position then instead of starting in August for school, you will start research in May. I would think just for this reason most applicants would pass on the opportunity and instead enjoy summer traveling.

I had my interview here a week ago, it was actually pretty laid back. My actual interview only lasted like 25 minuets and they gave us an hour to interview so I used the rest of the time to just ask the interviewers questions.

If anyone has any last minuet interview questions I might be able to answer them real quick!
Hardest question you got? Also was it more question/answer or conversational?

Hardest question you got? Also was it more question/answer or conversational?

I think the hardest question for me was something like "Think about a time when you let someone down and how you made it right." or something like that. A lot of the questions seemed focused on asking you about your past mistakes and how you went about fixing them / making them right.

The interview was totally conversational. At some times the interviewers were saying more than I was.

Do the student panels rate you too? The student ambassadors who give you tours and stuff.

I don't really think so, but it never hurts to be friendly to the student guides. You can ask them any question you want while you eat lunch, and that's pretty great.

There were only two dental students available for us to talk to at our interview too, and one of them had to leave after our actual interview session. So I can't imagine that they really ask the dental students too much about what they thought of us.

Hey guys, I am a current D1 at the U so I know what it's like to be in your shoes. If anyone has any questions about the interview or the school feel free to drop me a PM. My stats were 3.69 cGPA, 3.58 sGPA. 21 AA on the DAT. I'm instate too

Hey guys, I am a current D1 at the U so I know what it's like to be in your shoes. If anyone has any questions about the interview or the school feel free to drop me a PM. My stats were 3.69 cGPA, 3.58 sGPA. 21 AA on the DAT. I'm instate too

Thanks for volunteering!
I am interested when did you interview and when did you get an acceptance.
Most importantly, how do you feel your connection with classmates? Honestly... Do people form their own group bubble and stick with it or ...
Also, how do you guys help each other for the tests?
:)

Thanks for volunteering!
I am interested when did you interview and when did you get an acceptance.
Most importantly, how do you feel your connection with classmates? Honestly... Do people form their own group bubble and stick with it or ...
Also, how do you guys help each other for the tests?
:)

I interviewed September 13, I heard from them in mid August. I got accepted on December 1st. Also, we are a great class. We are all super collaborative and have no problem helping others. Dental school is a little cliquey, but I am pretty friendly with everyone and most people are.

I interviewed September 13, I heard from them in mid August. I got accepted on December 1st. Also, we are a great class. We are all super collaborative and have no problem helping others. Dental school is a little cliquey, but I am pretty friendly with everyone and most people are.

Thank you for the response.
Can you tell us something interesting that happened in school so far? (bad and good please)

I just want to know how many percent of students interviewed pre december get accepted on December 1st. (3rd this year)

Just rough estimates
upload_2018-11-20_16-13-44.png

P.S. Look post #37 too

Last edited:
I found this incredible source!!! :)
This is based on the entire Dental School program!

$30M in Tuition ;) for 650 students in an year

upload_2018-11-20_16-20-5.png
upload_2018-11-20_16-18-17.png

Last edited:
is everybody's status still "invited to interview" on aadsas?

Why everyone quite here?
12:43am and silence from adcoms

Emails went out at 2am CST last year

Emails went out at 2am CST last year

That's another hour! Do you plan to stay all night? You have a lot of school to be waiting for :)

That's another hour! Do you plan to stay all night? You have a lot of school to be waiting for :)
Haha that's not the plan, but you might see me poking around because I won't be able to sleep. It's exciting seeing people get accepted!

Haha that's not the plan, but you might see me poking around because I won't be able to sleep. It's exciting seeing people get accepted!
You are the most % interview offered applicant I’v seen this cycle haha did you guys pick one or to top choice for both of you?

I am watching tv and waiting but getting so tired. I am not sure if I can last one more hr haha

Status
Not open for further replies.