***The Official University of Minnesota Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just turned down my seat. Good luck to those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
officially deposit made! Looks like about 5-15 seats are still not filled?

Wow the admissions office must have sent out a ton of acceptances this month. I sent my deposit about two weeks ago and there were only like 45 people in the class profile document then.

Seems kinda odd considering that admissions officially continues into spring. Like how long could it take them to fill 10-15 more seats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it say how many seats are left when you pay the deposit? I had my interview December 12th, 2018 and left feeling confident that I aced my interview. Had some very good discussion with both dental students and professors but now i'm feeling uneasy lol. I called a few days after my interview and was told the admission office wont send out more acceptances until mid-late January. I wish they could update everyone on a bi-weekly basis or something.

Does it say how many seats are left when you pay the deposit? I had my interview December 12th, 2018 and left feeling confident that I aced my interview. Had some very good discussion with both dental students and professors but now i'm feeling uneasy lol. I called a few days after my interview and was told the admission office wont send out more acceptances until mid-late January. I wish they could update everyone on a bi-weekly basis or something.

On the class document there are currently 100 students that have sent in deposits and claimed a seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
On the class document there are currently 100 students that have sent in deposits and claimed a seat.
Hoping and praying I make it into one of the last 10 seats left then lol.

Anyone heard back from UMN? My interview was in October but I’ve yet hear back from admission...does this mean that I’ve been waitlisted (being hopeful here) or is it too soon to assume that? Thanks!

Anyone heard back from UMN? My interview was in October but I’ve yet hear back from admission...does this mean that I’ve been waitlisted (being hopeful here) or is it too soon to assume that? Thanks!

If you haven’t heard anything it means that you are still under consideration. They have until 2 weeks after school starts to fill a space. Generally you will be accepted/waitlisted/rejected by mid June. Last year, I was waitlisted mid June and found out the day before orientation that the class was definitely full.

Does it say if the ten remaining spots are for in state or out of state? Similarly, out of the 100 seats claimed, can you tell how many from in and how many from out of state?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

If you haven’t heard anything it means that you are still under consideration. They have until 2 weeks after school starts to fill a space. Generally you will be accepted/waitlisted/rejected by mid June. Last year, I was waitlisted mid June and found out the day before orientation that the class was definitely full.

were you a pre or post dec. interview?

Does it say if the ten remaining spots are for in state or out of state? Similarly, out of the 100 seats claimed, can you tell how many from in and how many from out of state?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
There are now 105 students listed on the class document. It doesn't say anything about whether they are IS or OOS. I have heard that they might be making the class size a little larger this year, but I am not sure about the credibility of that information.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are now 105 students listed on the class document. It doesn't say anything about whether they are IS or OOS. I have heard that they might be making the class size a little larger this year, but I am not sure about the credibility of that information.

Who did you hear from about making class size larger? Was it another applicant or someone from the dental school?

Who did you hear from about making class size larger? Was it another applicant or someone from the dental school?
I do not remember exactly where I heard the rumor that they were thinking about making the class size larger. It was not from another applicant though - either a current student or practicing dentist. I'm sorry I don't remember, but don't put too much weight in this rumor. It is probably not true because they didn't say anything about it when I interviewed.

I do not remember exactly where I heard the rumor that they were thinking about making the class size larger. It was not from another applicant though - either a current student or practicing dentist. I'm sorry I don't remember, but don't put too much weight in this rumor. It is probably not true because they didn't say anything about it when I interviewed.

I understand! Hopefully we get some good news soon--I heard their last group interview day was yesterday, so they should be sending out some more acceptances next week...!

Admissions committee meets on Tuesday. Should be more acceptances going out after that. Possibly that day they said.

Admissions committee meets on Tuesday. Should be more acceptances going out after that. Possibly that day they said.

Haha, looking at previous years, I narrowed it down to either Tuesday or Thursday! Thank you for confirming! :)

In light of the polar vortex in Midwest, do you think if the committee will still meet up and send out decisions this week? All this waiting is stressing me out Y’all stay warm up there!!

Wow that’s really late. I was hoping they’d send us a decision a little sooner than that. Have you heard back from them this year?

In light of the polar vortex in Midwest, do you think if the committee will still meet up and send out decisions this week? All this waiting is stressing me out Y’all stay warm up there!!

That's what I was thinking about. I'm stressed too, haha.

Got rejected unfortunately. 3.4 masters gpa and 20AA. Good luck to you all

Did anyone hear back from the U of MN lately? I was hoping we would hear something back on February 1st, since the application cycle closed, but nothing...:(

I received an email yesterday stating that I’ve been offered a spot in the alternate pool. I interviewed there just last week. Assuming it’s a nice way of saying thanks but no thanks, we’ll put you on the waitlist. Still hopeful though!

Who sent you the e-mail? :/ I haven't heard anything from the school; at least you are waitlisted:(

Wow that’s really late. I was hoping they’d send us a decision a little sooner than that. Have you heard back from them this year?

Nope, haven't heard back yet this year. Having been waitlisted last year and not hearing anything yet this year is driving me nuts.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob on this website. But how do people know how many slots are still left? Can people see this information without being accepted, or is it just people who have made the deposit who can see how many spots are left?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob on this website. But how do people know how many slots are still left? Can people see this information without being accepted, or is it just people who have made the deposit who can see how many spots are left?

People who have been accepted get access to an online document that tells us who will be our classmates. Right now there are 108 people in that document, the university usually accepts something like 110 new D1's each year.

People who have been accepted get access to an online document that tells us who will be our classmates. Right now there are 108 people in that document, the university usually accepts something like 110 new D1's each year.
Well I guess not hearing back yet is good news since people have been put on waitlists and declined admissions already. This wait is killing me tho and is all I can think about btw i'm an international student (shout out to Canada), is anyone else who hasn't heard back international as well?

Well I guess not hearing back yet is good news since people have been put on waitlists and declined admissions already. This wait is killing me tho and is all I can think about btw i'm an international student (shout out to Canada), is anyone else who hasn't heard back international as well?

Would you say not hearing anything at all is better than being waitlisted? I was thinking: [Acceptance] > [Waitlisted] > [Nothing] > [Rejected]

Would you say not hearing anything at all is better than being waitlisted? I was thinking: [Acceptance] > [Waitlisted] > [Nothing] > [Rejected]

Looking at past forums, they keep adding to the waitlist as people are taken off (whether they decline their spot on the waitlist or are given a spot in the class). So not hearing back is somewhat positive. The students on the waitlist have until Feb 15 to accept their alternative position...so they might add more people on it then.

I thought waitlists are only for alternate positions? I'm not sure how it works because on my interview email it said "You are interviewing for a direct open spot and not an alternate spot " so being waitlisted would mean you are on the alternate list? I have no idea lol

Oh man. Two spots left. That's really quite disappointing to hear...

Last edited:
Update: There are now 111 students listed on the class document.

Update: There are now 111 students listed on the class document.

Wow so I guess the rumors are true, class will be a bit bigger this year! The Class of 2023 document has 126 slots in it total but I didn't think they would fill the whole thing. Who knows what could be happening now...

When will we be able to go in and see/accept financial aid? When we receive our login information maybe?

Hey guys, I was accepted in December and would be willing to answer any questions about interviews or anything like that. My main question is is there a Facebook group yet for U of MN’s class of 2023? Or a different thread somewhere?

When will we be able to go in and see/accept financial aid? When we receive our login information maybe?

So I talked to them yesterday about financial aid/FAFSA stuff. They said you will be awarded both direct unsubsidized and GradPLUS around July when they send out the awards. As far as login info goes, ya I’m not sure when you get that. I would just call OneStop if you have any questions.

So I talked to them yesterday about financial aid/FAFSA stuff. They said you will be awarded both direct unsubsidized and GradPLUS around July when they send out the awards. As far as login info goes, ya I’m not sure when you get that. I would just call OneStop if you have any questions.
Do you know if scholarships were given out already?

Do you know if scholarships were given out already?

I’m not sure about MN, but another school I was accepted to offered me scholarship with the acceptance letter so I assume it can already be given out? Unless this is some other scholarship that you’re still applying for, in which case, I’m not sure. Is there a specific scholarship you’re looking at? But as far as login info goes, they said they won’t give you a student ID, which you need to login I guess, until you’ve given them everything on that checklist and fully matriculated.

I’m not sure about MN, but another school I was accepted to offered me scholarship with the acceptance letter so I assume it can already be given out? Unless this is some other scholarship that you’re still applying for, in which case, I’m not sure. Is there a specific scholarship you’re looking at? But as far as login info goes, they said they won’t give you a student ID, which you need to login I guess, until you’ve given them everything on that checklist and fully matriculated.
Thanks for the reply! I was just wondering about D1 scholarships in general.

Thanks for the reply! I was just wondering about D1 scholarships in general.

Unfortunately, most of them were given out during December 3rd. They mentioned if those with a scholarship decline the offer then it will be given to the next qualified applicant.
I am also thinking, maybe, they will give very few with fafsa award package.

Does anyone know how many seats are still available for the 2023 class?

Does anyone know how many seats are still available for the 2023 class?

So I just looked and there are currently 114 students and I think someone else said there was maybe (and that’s a strong maybe) 116 spots this year? So my guess is either there are 1-2 spots still available or it’s full.

So I just looked and there are currently 114 students and I think someone else said there was maybe (and that’s a strong maybe) 116 spots this year? So my guess is either there are 1-2 spots still available or it’s full.

Thank you for checking!

Hi,

Here are some notes that I took from the Webinar they held recently on their Interview Day:

350 Interviews for 110 Seats

Interviews from August 2018 to January 2019

Invitations via e-mail

Know yourself (strengths and personal interest)

Know the profession (current trends, topics, and issues in the field)

Know the school (what makes the school unique, why is it a good fit)

Interview attire is formal (recommended: suit)

Picture will be taken on the interview day

Interview Day:

Spend six hours at the School of Dentistry

1st group: 7:00 AM

2nd group: 9:30 AM

Interview:

Two on one

Structured (same questions)

Closed file (interviewers know nothing)

Competency-based or Behavioral-based

Usually lasts around 30-60 minutes

Length does not equal quality

Post-Interview:

December 1st: first day dental schools can send out acceptance letters

They do not fill entire classes on December 1st

Rolling admissions after December 1st, 2018

Padfolio?

No minimum DAT score

Class of 2018:

Academic Average: 20.8 (Range 17-25)

Reading Average: 21.95 (Range 17-30)

PAT Average: 20.35 (Range 15-25)

Total Science Average: 20.53 (Range 16-25)

Think of stories; ANSWER THE QUESTIONS (common mistakes made in the past)

Goal: 10 applicants per interview day

GPAs (Class of 2018):

BCP: 3.5? (Range: 2.93-4.00)

Total: 3.66 (Range: 3.17-4.00)

Science: 3.58 (Range: 2.97-4.00)

110 Seats Breakdown:

In-State: 70 Minnesotans (~65%)

Out-of-State/International: 40 Seats (~35%)

Interviewers are completely blind; don’t see application afterwards

Admissions Committee: Dr. Naty Lopez + other faculty members from SoD
Hey are you sure the finish interviews january?

Status
Not open for further replies.