The Republic of Texas XII: The Match Process, A New Hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UTMB: TheRealMD, zakp, Dr.Acula, hookemhorns88, mauraholcomb, crlyfry686, socko34, nomoreplz, bluesTank, itsgood, karmapolice, crunchymilk, Jaymz, drmccodell, NYUM, Haro4130Frame, TRanger

UTSW: alfred4442, hookemhorns88, Newsom, skyes, nomoreplz, poppinfresh, bluesTank, crlyfry686, itsgood, karmapolice, KublaiKhan, justmoi, NYUM, TRanger

UTHSCSA: JolieSouth, ELutris, hookemhorns88, mauraholcomb, pattheaggie, tx1227, poppinfresh, crlyfry686, dtrainer, phatmonky, jsol, Jaymz, bluesTank, Hawk126, nomoreplz

UTH: DianaUT06, ELutris, hookemhorns88, nomoreplz

A&M: zakp, Dr.Acula, ELutris, hookemhorns88, Newsom, mauraholcomb, skyes, poppinfresh, crlyfry686, itsgood, karmapolice, KublaiKhan, crunchymilk, jsol, cpa2md, Jaymz. drmccodell, Brandnewsaves, NYUM, Bowtie

Tech: skyes (MD/MBA), crlyfry686, marichar, itsgood, KublaiKhan, Jaymz

TCOM: zakp, Dr.Acula, hookemhorns88, Newsom, skyes, tx1227, bluesTank, Jace's mom

Like zakp, I've been super blessed with 4 acceptances, and will of course be declining 3 ASAP. So, more spots for everyone!

It's really interesting talking to different people about their perceptions of each school, like that experience/exposure chart drawn up above and the different things people use to measure the pros/cons of a school. I talked to someone today who said he had heard that the people at UTH sucked. What?? They were some of the nicest people I met on the interview trail. I don't get it.

Members don't see this ad.

Have a fun trip Diana! To the rest who are getting their acceptances, Congratulations! And to those who are doing their research to turn down the acceptances they don't want, Thank you!

Ok folks...kind of planning / passing the time away here. It's way to early to be too trigger happy on things like this, but are any of you thinking of your options if you don't get in this season? I hate to say it, but my mind can't help but ponder the options. Kaplan course? Apply OOS? More volunteer exp? More DO programs?

I think we have great chances at getting into programs we will be happy with this season, but I was curious if any of you have pondered your options.

Members don't see this ad :)
UTMB: TheRealMD, zakp, Dr.Acula, hookemhorns88, mauraholcomb, crlyfry686, socko34, nomoreplz, bluesTank, itsgood, karmapolice, crunchymilk, Jaymz, drmccodell, NYUM, Haro4130Frame, TRanger, midn

UTSW: alfred4442, hookemhorns88, Newsom, skyes, nomoreplz, poppinfresh, bluesTank, crlyfry686, itsgood, karmapolice, KublaiKhan, justmoi, NYUM, TRanger, midn

UTHSCSA: JolieSouth, ELutris, hookemhorns88, mauraholcomb, pattheaggie, tx1227, poppinfresh, crlyfry686, dtrainer, phatmonky, jsol, Jaymz, bluesTank, Hawk126, nomoreplz

A&M: zakp, Dr.Acula, ELutris, hookemhorns88, Newsom, mauraholcomb, skyes, poppinfresh, crlyfry686, itsgood, karmapolice, KublaiKhan, crunchymilk, jsol, cpa2md, Jaymz. drmccodell, Brandnewsaves, NYUM, Bowtie

TCOM: zakp, Dr.Acula, hookemhorns88, Newsom, skyes, tx1227, bluesTank, Jace's mom

Congrats on the acceptances!!!
So are you still going to go those interviews, or is one of your top choices UTSW or UTMB?

Thanks!

I'll be declining both of those interviews, but that doesn't mean I wasn't glad to see them finally respond! While I have heard great things about UTH on this site, I'm overall not too wild about Houston as a city so I had them 4th or so on my list. UTHSCSA is in the same boat. I figure I might as well give those interview spots to somebody who'd want them more.

Before yesterday UTSW and UTMB were #1 and #2 respectively but I was absolutely amazed by A&M during their interview and have them neck and neck with UTSW now. So while I'll be doing a little more research on UTMB in the next few days before I get the official letter just to make sure, I'll be declining them as soon as I get it. I figure since I'm still hoping for an A&M acceptance I'd be a complete hypocrite if I didn't help out the UTMB people.

Thanks!

I'll be declining both of those interviews, but that doesn't mean I wasn't glad to see them finally respond! While I have heard great things about UTH on this site, I'm overall not too wild about Houston as a city so I had them 4th or so on my list. UTHSCSA is in the same boat. I figure I might as well give those interview spots to somebody who'd want them more.

Before yesterday UTSW and UTMB were #1 and #2 respectively but I was absolutely amazed by A&M during their interview and have them neck and neck with UTSW now. So while I'll be doing a little more research on UTMB in the next few days before I get the official letter just to make sure, I'll be declining them as soon as I get it. I figure since I'm still hoping for an A&M acceptance I'd be a complete hypocrite if I didn't help out the UTMB people.

You're a good man TRanger, a good man (or woman, no offense).

Hey all I have been very blessed with 3 acceptances and I will be giving up one of my spots ASAP!:D

Hey all I have been very blessed with 3 acceptances and I will be giving up one of my spots ASAP!:D
Jace's mom does a hand-wavy thing and gives her best Jedi Stare: "You want to give up your A&M spot...you want to give up your A&M spot...you have no need of an A&M acceptance..."

:D

Jace's mom its like you read my mind.:)

UT Houston's website says Jan. 9th is their last interview date. Does anyone know if that is still correct?

So I called TMDSAS today to ask about how the match thing works and I spoke to the director. The shocking part of what happened was that he told me that he thinks UT Houston is thinking of sending more acceptancs out which I was very suprised about. Does anyone here think that could be true?:D

So I called TMDSAS today to ask about how the match thing works and I spoke to the director. The shocking part of what happened was that he told me that he thinks UT Houston is thinking of sending more acceptancs out which I was very suprised about. Does anyone here think that could be true?:D

Interesting, this is the first of it that I hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be annoying but I wanted to hear what others think. I applied everywhere in Texas but got no pre-match offers. I just wanted to find out what yall think, should I be concerned/suprised?

Stats:
UT grad/ 3.8/ MCAT 33/All bells and whistles/ Interviews went great

On another note did any else find the post-interview letter that UTH sent out misleading?

I feel sick to my stomach right now. I just got back from my Baylor interview. I'm really worried I won't get any more love. :(
Congratulations to all of you that did get in.

AggieSean I'm sure you will get in somewhere! Your stats are great and you interviewed at alot of schools.:)

UTMB: TheRealMD, zakp, Dr.Acula, hookemhorns88, mauraholcomb, crlyfry686, socko34, nomoreplz, bluesTank, itsgood, karmapolice, crunchymilk, Jaymz, drmccodell, NYUM, Haro4130Frame, TRanger, midn, omgmedschool

UTSW: alfred4442, hookemhorns88, Newsom, skyes, nomoreplz, poppinfresh, bluesTank, crlyfry686, itsgood, karmapolice, KublaiKhan, justmoi, NYUM, TRanger, midn

Yeah Sean, I only interviewed at one school. You're in great shape and you'll get in somewhere. Be patient (even though it's easier said than done, but hey, i'm in the same boat as you .... actually i'm one boat behind, you got in TCOM, right?) ;)

Yeah, I got in at TCOM. I'm just worried that there is some deeper red flag to my application. My interviews at A&M and UTMB went really well. Maybe it's just random. Oh well. No need to worry. Heh. Yeah. Right.

I feel sick to my stomach right now. I just got back from my Baylor interview. I'm really worried I won't get any more love. :(
Congratulations to all of you that did get in.

I read over your MDapp and noticed all the positive feedbacks your interviewers gave you. I am sure that you'll get into an MD program this year. If not pre-match, then the match :) Keep your chin up!

Yeah, I got in at TCOM. I'm just worried that there is some deeper red flag to my application. My interviews at A&M and UTMB went really well. Maybe it's just random. Oh well. No need to worry. Heh. Yeah. Right.

If there was a red flag of some sort you wouldn't have gotten all those interviews, no?

My only thought is that the match really will offer a ton of acceptances. Honestly, I don't see why schools pre-match in the first place. None of the schools have any idea who's going to their school. Sure it makes all of you with acceptances feel relieved but is that the only rationale for pre-matching?

Not to be annoying but I wanted to hear what others think. I applied everywhere in Texas but got no pre-match offers. I just wanted to find out what yall think, should I be concerned/suprised?

Stats:

On another note did any else find the post-interview letter that UTH sent out misleading?

When did you apply? How many interviews did you get?

J-munch, did you get in anywhere this time???

Hey all, was wondering if you guys could give me some info on the texas schools as I am an out of state applicant. I was just kind of wondering if there was some kind of consensus regarding which schools were better than others. From what I hear baylor and southwestern would be up there, but what about the others? I ask because I've had interviews at UTMB and san antion, and A&M in a few weeks. Have I not heard from Tech or houston because they are more competitive? Thanks!

Hey all, was wondering if you guys could give me some info on the texas schools as I am an out of state applicant. I was just kind of wondering if there was some kind of consensus regarding which schools were better than others. From what I hear baylor and southwestern would be up there, but what about the others? I ask because I've had interviews at UTMB and san antion, and A&M in a few weeks. Have I not heard from Tech or houston because they are more competitive? Thanks!

As far as competitive admissions, its Baylor and UTSW, then everybody else is pretty close together.

Stats:

What are some of your ECs?

Various Clubs/volunteering, Tons of Clinical (I'm a scrub tech),research in Neuroscience and lots of sports.

I'm not saying anything stands out as overthetop impressive (it seems like all you guys have great credentials) but in reality its like what the hell do you have to do?

Does anyone really know what % of people match vs. pre-match?

UTMB: TheRealMD, zakp, Dr.Acula, hookemhorns88, mauraholcomb, crlyfry686, socko34, nomoreplz, bluesTank, itsgood, karmapolice, crunchymilk, Jaymz, drmccodell, NYUM, Haro4130Frame, TRanger, midn, omgmedschool, Real Name

A&M: zakp, Dr.Acula, ELutris, hookemhorns88, Newsom, mauraholcomb, skyes, poppinfresh, crlyfry686, itsgood, karmapolice, KublaiKhan, crunchymilk, jsol, cpa2md, Jaymz. drmccodell, Brandnewsaves, NYUM, Bowtie, Real Name

Tech: skyes (MD/MBA), crlyfry686, marichar, itsgood, KublaiKhan, Jaymz, Real Name

TCOM: zakp, Dr.Acula, hookemhorns88, Newsom, skyes, tx1227, bluesTank, Jace's mom, Real Name

When did you apply? No matter what your credentials are late applicants are always at a disadvantage. As for EC's I've done research for over 4 years (in places like the Mayo Clinic and Tufts), have one publication coming out, and a lot of other bells and whistles. I got accepted everywhere I interviewed. I think that you have to remember that yes your interviewers are there to get to know you, but they also want to talk about themselves.

Ok folks...kind of planning / passing the time away here. It's way to early to be too trigger happy on things like this, but are any of you thinking of your options if you don't get in this season? I hate to say it, but my mind can't help but ponder the options. Kaplan course? Apply OOS? More volunteer exp? More DO programs?

I think we have great chances at getting into programs we will be happy with this season, but I was curious if any of you have pondered your options.
My mind is all over the place thinking about what I can start doing for next cycle. I know everyone will tell me its not over yet but I can't help feeling the need to start getting prepared just in case. I definitely need to take the MCAT again but Im not sure what to do since I will wait til after February obviously but I need to take it before May but I wanted to take a prep course so I'm not sure what I'll do. Just rambling here......

When did you apply? No matter what your credentials are late applicants are always at a disadvantage. As for EC's I've done research for over 4 years (in places like the Mayo Clinic and Tufts), have one publication coming out, and a lot of other bells and whistles. I got accepted everywhere I interviewed. I think that you have to remember that yes your interviewers are there to get to know you, but they also want to talk about themselves.

emt57 applied 7/14, which is early so I had to make sure ECs were good.

UTMB: TheRealMD, zakp, Dr.Acula, hookemhorns88, mauraholcomb, crlyfry686, socko34, nomoreplz, bluesTank, itsgood, karmapolice, crunchymilk, Jaymz, drmccodell, NYUM, Haro4130Frame, TRanger, midn, omgmedschool, Real Name, UTMBMD2012

A&M: zakp, Dr.Acula, ELutris, hookemhorns88, Newsom, mauraholcomb, skyes, poppinfresh, crlyfry686, itsgood, karmapolice, KublaiKhan, crunchymilk, jsol, cpa2md, Jaymz. drmccodell, Brandnewsaves, NYUM, Bowtie, Real Name

Tech: skyes (MD/MBA), crlyfry686, marichar, itsgood, KublaiKhan, Jaymz, Real Name

TCOM: zakp, Dr.Acula, hookemhorns88, Newsom, skyes, tx1227, bluesTank, Jace's mom, Real Name

UTMB: TheRealMD, zakp, Dr.Acula, hookemhorns88, mauraholcomb, crlyfry686, socko34, nomoreplz, bluesTank, itsgood, karmapolice, crunchymilk, Jaymz, drmccodell, NYUM, Haro4130Frame, TRanger, midn, omgmedschool, Real Name, OMFB

UTSW: alfred4442, hookemhorns88, Newsom, skyes, nomoreplz, poppinfresh, bluesTank, crlyfry686, itsgood, karmapolice, KublaiKhan, justmoi, NYUM, TRanger, midn, OMFB

My mind is all over the place thinking about what I can start doing for next cycle. I know everyone will tell me its not over yet but I can't help feeling the need to start getting prepared just in case. I definitely need to take the MCAT again but Im not sure what to do since I will wait til after February obviously but I need to take it before May but I wanted to take a prep course so I'm not sure what I'll do. Just rambling here......

...yeah. I'm in that boat too! Sorry to interrupt the positive flow for all who are already receiving offers - wow! I am going OUT of my MIND because I have had my application complete since July and haven't heard a peep from any one school yet. Is this bad? WHEN do I get something? I would even be relieved in a way to get a rejection at this point. Why would they wait this long just to reject me? :scared:
(perhaps there's another thread I should be aware of? Am I alone out here?)

This has probably been asked a million times but what is the situation with UTHSCSA in terms of how many prematch acceptances they gave and are they giving in waves, etc.? i'm hoping they still have some acceptances left because i'm interviewing in late november. thanks.

i dont mean to burst your bubble or be negative but i had a similar experience last fall with SA. i interviewed on nov 28, i think it was their next to last interview date. during the interview the dean told us that they had already sent out 150 acceptances, but not to worry because there were still considering us and the next batch of interviewees for those remaining 50+ spots and that they would have more spots to offer once pple declined them. i really believe that was a bunch of crap....it makes sensee that pple who interview earlier have a better chance of getting into that school for the simple reason that medical schools tends interview students with better stats before they interview students with lower stats. so basically, i would go to the interview knowing before hand that they have already sent out the majority of their acceptances and even if they were to have more available due to pple rejecting them, those acceptances would most likely go to higher ranked applicants who did not get accepted the first time and who interviewed at an earlier date......again, this is my first-hand experience and my opinion...

Thanks!

You would really take A&M over #19 Southwestern?!?!? What's the rational behind that? You or anyone can answer that question?

You would really take A&M over #19 Southwestern?!?!? What's the rational behind that? You or anyone can answer that question?

Not that I would have the choice between the two, but.... If I did have a choice, there would be no contest: A&M. My biggest factor would be proximity to my family in Houston. A&M also has some incredible opportunities at Scott and White. The facilities are pretty amazing as well. UTSW is an incredible school from what I've been told, but it would be A&M for me. Rankings are only part of the reason someone might choose a school.

Rankings are only part of the reason someone might choose a school.
Agreed. In fact, I didn't even apply at UTSW or Baylor. True, while my GPA is good, my MCAT is not really strong enough for either of those schools, but I also had a pretty good idea from reading up on both that neither was the kind of school I wanted to attend. I think both are fantastic programs, but they tend to be more competitive/focus more on research, that kind of thing, and that isn't what I'm looking for. Since I don't have family near either of those schools and have no other compelling reason to attend there, I didn't apply.

J-munch, did you get in anywhere this time???

No. I'm worried the main problem is my junior college gpa bringing down my overall gpa. It's dissapointing because since I matured and figured out what I wanted to do, my performance has pretty darn good.

Also, my interviewing probably could have been better.

i dont mean to burst your bubble or be negative but i had a similar experience last fall with SA. i interviewed on nov 28, i think it was their next to last interview date. during the interview the dean told us that they had already sent out 150 acceptances, but not to worry because there were still considering us and the next batch of interviewees for those remaining 50+ spots and that they would have more spots to offer once pple declined them. i really believe that was a bunch of crap....it makes sensee that pple who interview earlier have a better chance of getting into that school for the simple reason that medical schools tends interview students with better stats before they interview students with lower stats. so basically, i would go to the interview knowing before hand that they have already sent out the majority of their acceptances and even if they were to have more available due to pple rejecting them, those acceptances would most likely go to higher ranked applicants who did not get accepted the first time and who interviewed at an earlier date......again, this is my first-hand experience and my opinion...

your thoughts are much appreciated. thanks man.

UTMB: TheRealMD, zakp, Dr.Acula, hookemhorns88, mauraholcomb, crlyfry686, socko34, nomoreplz, bluesTank, itsgood, karmapolice, crunchymilk, Jaymz, drmccodell, NYUM, Haro4130Frame, TRanger, midn, omgmedschool, Real Name, OMFB

UTSW: alfred4442, hookemhorns88, Newsom, skyes, nomoreplz, poppinfresh, bluesTank, crlyfry686, itsgood, karmapolice, KublaiKhan, justmoi, NYUM, TRanger, midn, OMFB

A&M: zakp, Dr.Acula, ELutris, hookemhorns88, Newsom, mauraholcomb, skyes, poppinfresh, crlyfry686, itsgood, karmapolice, KublaiKhan, crunchymilk, jsol, cpa2md, Jaymz. drmccodell, Brandnewsaves, NYUM, Bowtie, Real Name, nkh2007

What do you mean by getting validated? I got an email from Filo but I'm still quite unsure?! You might be laughing but this is too unreal!!!!

What do you mean by getting validated? I got an email from Filo but I'm still quite unsure?! You might be laughing but this is too unreal!!!!

Validated is just another one of those mystery TMDSAS things that no one truly has a clue about. If you got an email from Filo (or Shandala, but with Filo's name on it) saying congratulations, you're accepted, then you are.

Congratulations!! Start the party!:hardy:

No. I'm worried the main problem is my junior college gpa bringing down my overall gpa. It's dissapointing because since I matured and figured out what I wanted to do, my performance has pretty darn good.

Also, my interviewing probably could have been better.

Just looked at your MDapps. Tough situation. Tech still needs to send out most of its ffers, right? A&M sent 246 for their smallish class....wonder how many more they'll need (didn't someone say they usually end up sending 3 per spot?). I think your chances at UTMB are slim, except for the waitlist...just based on how they seem to be donig things and last year. Don't know 'bout SA. It would suck to be waitlisted again..but that's a long way off...maybe someone will email you in 30 min or so :).

So I was thinking, on the 15th about 1000 or so offers were extended, right? But to how many unique persons were those offers sent to? 500, maybe 600 at most. So thats still only half the class. I think by the time it's all said and done many more people should get acceptances. Do you guys agree or is my logic flawed?

So I was thinking, on the 15th about 1000 or so offers were extended, right? But to how many unique persons were those offers sent to? 500, maybe 600 at most. So thats still only half the class. I think by the time it's all said and done many more people should get acceptances. Do you guys agree or is my logic flawed?

From the whole little speech I got at UT San Antonio earlier in the week it doesn't sound that far off. The dean said that most schools interview about 1000 candidates and their are 1200 spots in the state, so those 1000 generally overlap at a bunch of schools. His point was that if you are interviewed at a texas school your chances are fairly descent to get in somewhere. Now I think this applies mostly to texas residents, which I am not! But good luck to everyone :luck:

Its a different year...but maybe last year's results can help a little.

4083 applicants ↑3.9% from last year
2222 interviews (54%)
1062 matches (does not include out of state, joint degree programs, or special programs)
Accepted with match 183 (17%)
Pre match offers 879 (83%)
477 with multiple offers (54%)
402 with only one offer (46%)
600 ranked offer school number 1 (68%)
279 ranked another school higher (32%)
21 matched to higher ranked school (7.5%)

Here is my thought on this whole process. Prematch is from 11/15-12/31. UTSW and UTMB seem to have given out the most offers on Nov 15th so the chances of hearing from them throughout the prematch is slim. As for Tech, A&M, and SA, they are given it out in batches, so there is still hope to hear from them. There will be some students who will immediately decline offers if they got an offer from the school of their choice. However, many students will hold on to all their offers until Jan 15 to allow as much time to decide on the school they want to go to (understandable). Schools know this and so will give out more offers than their class size in order to compensate for students who will choose to go to other schools. With this in mind, it seems like 90% of the class will be filled during the prematch and 10% in the match. Depressing, I know. Let me conclude on a good note. We all know that UTH believes in the match so there's definitely still hope for them :)

I agree with Jetpuff considering last years cycle. There wasn't a lot of match movement because of the pre-match. But there are some variables this year, notably UTH which will be predominately match. This might affect things to a certain degree, but who knows how much? Also, a lot of people aren't considering the record amount of applicants this year who are more qualified than any previous years. This is why schools are increasing the number of interview dates but they aren't adding a substantial number of seats to their incoming class to help with the load.

Just to summarize previous posts:
TCOM - will give out another batch of offers before Dec. 31
SA - will give another round in 2 weeks
Tech - anyone know?
UTH - gave out 10% prematch, but dont know if they gave out all of the prematch on Nov. 15
UTMB - gave out all offers on Nov. 15
UTSW - gave out all offers on Nov. 15
A&M - I'm confused on whether they are going to give another round or not because they said in interview that their would be 3 batches of 135 or so, but their batch on Nov. 15 was 235.