The Republic of Texas XXIII: Our State Can Beat Up Your State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One more FAFSA question: My parents said they won't even get their W2 forms until the end of January and probably won't do their taxes for a couple months. Can I use their info from last year?

Members don't see this ad.

One more FAFSA question: My parents said they won't even get their W2 forms until the end of January and probably won't do their taxes for a couple months. Can I use their info from last year?

No. You have to use their information from the most recent tax year, which would be 2008.

No. You have to use their information from the most recent tax year, which would be 2008.
you can estimate now and update when you do 2008's taxes. do your FAFSA now if at all possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can estimate now and update when you do 2008's taxes. do your FAFSA now if at all possible.

I don't necessarily agree. I had one school (not TMDSAS) explicitly say not to estimate your 2008 taxes and to wait until you have the info. There have been warnings in this thread against waiting too long, but the examples given were in like June or July. I'm personally going to wait until I get my W2 forms at the end of January and file in February.

If you want the best advice, I'd get in touch with the financial aid office at the schools you are looking at. The financial aid officers seem very willing to help prospective/accepted students.

I guess I still don't understand how they can *require* your parents income on your FAFSA if you're going into professional school. I have been out of college for almost a year now, supporting myself and I'm getting married this summer - how in the world is my parents income relevant to anything in my life right now?

If anything my fiancee's income should be more relevant, since he will be helping me through school.

here at UTMB parents info is not required unless you are applying for need based scholoarships I believe. I called when i had to fill it out and I believe thats what I remember them telling me. I imagine it would be similar for most other schools.

I think I submitted mine in march and had no problems so waiting a bit should not be a problem.

I guess I still don't understand how they can *require* your parents income on your FAFSA if you're going into professional school. I have been out of college for almost a year now, supporting myself and I'm getting married this summer - how in the world is my parents income relevant to anything in my life right now?

If anything my fiancee's income should be more relevant, since he will be helping me through school.

I completely agree. My parents haven't given me a cent since I graduated from undergrad (6 years ago)....and my wife's teaching salary doesn't exactly set the world on fire. I guess that is the way it goes though.

Exi, did you decide to take that Houston interview?

I had to reschedule it to this month - but that date had a waitlist, and the waitlist never moved. :(

Well I guess you will have to settle with being my classmate at A&M come the 1st.

I had to reschedule it to this month - but that date had a waitlist, and the waitlist never moved. :(
Damn, I can't think of anything that I would reschedule an interview for. That's some ****ty luck!

I agree it's stupid. I'm 35, will be married soon, haven't lived at home in 15 years and my mom lives 5000 miles away! I'll have to estimate her income based on the current exchange rate. But it seems as though there is nothing to lose by including my mom's data. Regardless of my EFC it seems as though I will still be able to borrow sufficient Stafford Loan money and there is a CHANCE of getting some needs based loans/scholarships.

Was a bit embarrassing having to ask my mom about her income and savings though!

Was a bit embarrassing having to ask my mom about her income and savings though!

No kidding. I'm 34. "Uh, mom? Yeah, sorry I haven't called in awhile. Ummm...what's your AGI?" "How much would you say is in your bank account right now?" "Could I get a copy of that?"

Members don't see this ad :)
No kidding. I'm 34. "Uh, mom? Yeah, sorry I haven't called in awhile. Ummm...what's your AGI?" "How much would you say is in your bank account right now?" "Could I get a copy of that?"

That is so absurd.

Wouldn't need-based scholarships make more sense if they were based off the income that helps us? aka....what *we* make determines what we need?

So, how does it work with parents who are divorced? I just include my mom, since I lived with her through highschool, and stepdad (on disability)? Or do I REALLY get the short straw and include my other parents?

This is insane, haha.

I would imagine they require the parents' financial information to prevent abuse. Let's pretend my parents make $3 million per year and I'm not required to say anything about it. I won't be working during school and will qualify for the same need-based financial aid as everyone else.

The reality is that your parents' income does influence your need. In my ficticious example, I certainly have a better fallback than someone whose parents earn 30k per year and I should qualify less for need-based aid. So while their expected contribution may be zero, their possible unexpected contribution may not and that might be what they're looking to measure.

I think they should take into account your undergraduate debt as well. I'm sure they have access to how much you owe in federal loans. I'd say my debt is a pretty good indicator that my parents aren't helping me pay for school.

Well but if my parents make 3 million a year and aren't giving me a dime, then what's the difference?? It doesn't matter how much they make if you're self-sufficient. Once you turn 18 your parents don't owe you a thing. Case in point, my dad cut me off after my freshman year in undergrad just because he wanted to piss off my mom. So I didn't get anything from him even tho he was making over 150,000 a year. And it's especially ridiculous for those of y'all that are married and whatnot. But no one asks me when they make up the rules...;)

And aggie, you don't have to include both parents if they are divorced, but whichever one you use you have to include their spouse if they have one.

I would imagine they require the parents' financial information to prevent abuse. Let's pretend my parents make $3 million per year and I'm not required to say anything about it. I won't be working during school and will qualify for the same need-based financial aid as everyone else.

The reality is that your parents' income does influence your need. In my ficticious example, I certainly have a better fallback than someone whose parents earn 30k per year and I should qualify less for need-based aid. So while their expected contribution may be zero, their possible unexpected contribution may not and that might be what they're looking to measure.
That sounds reasonable. If they did not look at parent's income, then everyone would claim that their parents weren't supporting them, since the incentives would favor that.

That being said, any system that exists to prevent abuse inevitably screws some people in the middle.

There was a pretty good discussion on this whole thing in a thread over fafsa. Paraphrasing what someone said there:

Basically the schools/gov cannot afford to give loans to all med students and for the majority (i'd guess and say 90%) they are on their own without parental support. So instead of putting the burden of loans directly on the state/gov they assume if your parents make 100s of thousands than you should be able to strike up a loan deal with them to help with the loans. I doubt having parents that make a lot will keep someone from getting ANY loans though. Anyway, just my thoughts.

I think they should take into account your undergraduate debt as well. I'm sure they have access to how much you owe in federal loans. I'd say my debt is a pretty good indicator that my parents aren't helping me pay for school.
Right, but when they measure need they're likely bundling capability with it. If "it" hits the fan, the person without capable parents likely needs the financial aid more.

Right, but when they measure need they're likely bundling capability with it. If "it" hits the fan, the person without capable parents likely needs the financial aid more.
Just like someone's parents might be below the poverty line but their rich uncle is funding their school. Parental income isn't the only thing that matters, but I agree that it should still be taken into consideration.

I called UTHSC San Antonio today and asked about the FAFSA and parental income. I was told that if the FAFSA considers you an independent, then you do not have to include their income. There is a section which ask about scholarships and other outside contributions where you would have to but how much your parents were going to contribute, if the contribute anything.

I would suggest calling your respective school to find out exactly what the requirements are when it comes to the issue of parental income.

College Station folks/hopefuls: trouble in Aggieland.

An Army helicopter crashed near the corps quad. :(

I got a "code maroon" update about this earlier - so sad. (I don't how to cancel my "code maroon" since I graduated, haha).

No students were injured, though, so that's good.

It's on Duncan Field - where the Corp practices some of their marching occasionally. Usually it's just students playing football and stuff, though. Good thing school wasn't in session, there could have very well been people out there.

Man, I drove by the helicopter crash site on my way home from work...that thing is smashed to bits. How awful...:(

just got an email from TMDSAS for applicants holding pre-match offers saying to accept/decline your offers.

i don't have multiple offers though so i don't know why i got this email since i can't accept/decline anything on TMDSAS.

?

If i rank my schools on the tmdsas website can I still change their order before the 15th or is it a one time deal after you press submit...?

If i rank my schools on the tmdsas website can I still change their order before the 15th or is it a one time deal after you press submit...?
you can keep updating it until the 15th

I don't get the email though.. if I have a pre-match offer from my #1, do I just put that school #1 and leave the rest blank, or do I still have to list the others since I didn't officially withdraw from them?

I guess since I haven't officially withdrawn I have to list them?

I don't get the email though.. if I have a pre-match offer from my #1, do I just put that school #1 and leave the rest blank, or do I still have to list the others since I didn't officially withdraw from them?

Instructions in the e-mail:

1. Click on the "Enter Match Preference" link at the bottom of the 2nd column
on "Applicants/General Information" page, log on and click "status" button.
2. Click 4th bullet "Choose Medical School Pre-Match Offers" and select
"Accept" or "Decline" for all schools indicated and click "SAVE" button.
Once you have chosen the one offer to hold, you must then submit a match
preference ranking to finalize the admission process, even if the one offer you
are holding is your number one choice. The deadline for submitting your final
match preference is January 15, 2009. Please follow the instructions above, but
click on the third bullet "Enter Medical School Preferences". The following
instructions apply to submitting your match preferences.
1. You must rank all schools where you interviewed except those that you
declined an offer or withdrew from after you interviewed.
2. If the one offer you are holding is your number one choice and you have
declined offers or withdrew from all other schools at which you interviewed,
submit your preference listing the school you are holding an offer from as
your number one school and nothing else.
3. If you interviewed at a school (or schools) from which you did not receive a
pre-match offer, you may rank that school (or schools) higher than the school
you are holding the offer from for the final match. If you match to a higher
ranked school you will be automatically withdrawn from the school you are
holding the offer and all schools ranked lower and still remain open at all
schools ranked higher. You will not lose the offer that you are holding unless
you match to a higher ranked school. There is no risk of losing that offer even
if you rank other schools higher in the final match.

yeah I read the instructions, they just aren't extremely clear. I didn't know if a withdraw was an official withdraw or if you can basically withdraw by not listing them on the match.

no big deal.
ah i misread your post as saying -- 'i didn't get the e-mail'

my bad

Yeah there doesn't seem to be much of a point in listing them for you, but you might as well just to be specific...it would suck if there was some weird error that ended up matching you at your 2nd or 3rd choice.

Yeah there doesn't seem to be much of a point in listing them for you, but you might as well just to be specific...it would suck if there was some weird error that ended up matching you at your 2nd or 3rd choice.

They told us you had to list them all unless you officially declined or actually withdrew (like before you got your acceptance). It was mostly just a housekeeping thing. Silly, yes, but it apparently helps them out

I think if you choose "Decline" for one of the schools that you pre-matched to on the "Choose Medical School Pre-Match Offers" site, then you've officially declined their offer.

So say if UTH is your number one choice, you would "Accept" their offer on that page and "Decline" all other offers. Then, all you have to do is go to the "Enter Medical School Preferences" site and fill in UTH for your number one choice and leave everything else blank.

I have to rank tomorrow and am still unsure. I pre-matched at UTSW and UTH (and UTHSCSA) There are a lot of things I really liked about both UTSW and UTH.. I am in at Baylor and am leaning towards there, but with financial and political issues still looming I want a solid back-up or maybe even will end up going elsewhere. Any advice thoughts about UTH and UTSW would be appreciated! (And Baylor too for that matter)

How are ya'll ranking? How did you decide? Thanks so much!:D

Best of luck to you all on match day!

I have to rank tomorrow and am still unsure. I pre-matched at UTSW and UTH (and UTHSCSA) There are a lot of things I really liked about both UTSW and UTH.. I am in at Baylor and am leaning towards there, but with financial and political issues still looming I want a solid back-up or maybe even will end up going elsewhere. Any advice thoughts about UTH and UTSW would be appreciated! (And Baylor too for that matter)

Choose UTH 'cuz I want to go to UTSW :)

I suspect other people might advise you on particular aspects of each school, so here's a (perhaps) another way of looking at it --

UTH and Baylor are IMO more similar to each other than each to UTSW (i.e. location, involvement in TMC, etc). If you choose UTSW, you will maximize the diversity in your choices (i.e. more polarizing the decision you will have to make later). This will make your decision easier in many ways later on because it is easier to decide between two extremes than between things that are close together.

yeah I read the instructions, they just aren't extremely clear. I didn't know if a withdraw was an official withdraw or if you can basically withdraw by not listing them on the match.

no big deal.

I was wondering the same thing myself so I just sent a withdrawal email to all schools I was not interested in. I got emails back from each admissions person within minutes acknowledging my wthdrawal and so now all I have left to rank are my pre-match offer and the schools I'm ranking higher. Takes the guess work out of the instructions.:)

Financial and political issues at Baylor are a non-issue. I would not let that be a factor in your decision.

Financial and political issues at Baylor are a non-issue. I would not let that be a factor in your decision.

To be honest the only concern that would really make me question going to Baylor would be with Rice Merge. Not the merge itself, but how it would affect tuition. Since Baylor has been state funded all these years its tuition is obscenely low for what you get, but I am afraid a merge with privately run Rice might raise tuition costs after next year. Have you heard anything about that? Thanks

On my "Enter School Match Preferences" page on TMDSAS, there's a "Last Updated:" spot with a date of 10-06-08. The thing is, I've been messing around with my matchlist preferences since then (changing and saving my order a couple times). Since that date hasn't changed, am I to assume that it's just some TMDSAS clerical thing? Or is that actually a reference to whenever I saved my match preferences (which would be outdated, like I previously stated, b/c I have changed/saved my ordering plenty of times since then, including a bunch in the last couple of days)?

And speaking of the Match, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on how to order my preferences. There are just 2 schools that I really like, and would be happy at either. I won't bore y'all with the specifics, but I'm wondering (and this is to make sure I understand how Match works) what happens if you don't get matched on Feb 1st to your #1 school? Assuming your #2 school wants you, will the Match computers automatically give you #2 then on Feb 1st? Are you eligible for waitlists even if you Match? If you end up getting waitlisted at a higher-preferenced school and get in, are you automatically bumped into it or would you have to manually accept? I know that's a lot of questions so thanks in advance.

Got a scholarship from UTMB today, anyone else?

On my "Enter School Match Preferences" page on TMDSAS, there's a "Last Updated:" spot with a date of 10-06-08. The thing is, I've been messing around with my matchlist preferences since then (changing and saving my order a couple times). Since that date hasn't changed, am I to assume that it's just some TMDSAS clerical thing? Or is that actually a reference to whenever I saved my match preferences (which would be outdated, like I previously stated, b/c I have changed/saved my ordering plenty of times since then, including a bunch in the last couple of days)?
When you open up the page, does it remember the choices that you want? If so, it's probably safe.

what happens if you don't get matched on Feb 1st to your #1 school? Assuming your #2 school wants you, will the Match computers automatically give you #2 then on Feb 1st?
If you don't get matched to your choice, you get matched to the highest ranked choice that accepted you.

Are you eligible for waitlists even if you Match?
Yes

If you end up getting waitlisted at a higher-preferenced school and get in, are you automatically bumped into it or would you have to manually accept?
You have to manually accept.

Got a scholarship from UTMB today, anyone else?

Wow...what are you going to do now. Money would be tough to pass up at this point for me.

Here is a question for people who have pre-matched at only one school. When you pull up the pre-match page on TMDSAS, does it still say you do not have multiple pre-match acceptances? Mine does, which leads me to believe all I have to do from here is rank my preferences...correct?

Does anyone know how long it takes UTHSCSA to provide an admission decision post-interview for OOS applicants? I interviewed in December and I am wondering when I can expect to hear a decision. Thanks.

Wow...what are you going to do now. Money would be tough to pass up at this point for me.

Here is a question for people who have pre-matched at only one school. When you pull up the pre-match page on TMDSAS, does it still say you do not have multiple pre-match acceptances? Mine does, which leads me to believe all I have to do from here is rank my preferences...correct?

That's what happened for me also... I think we don't have to do that section of the site.

Having pre-matched to only one school (UTMB), my pre-match status page is the same as yours.

That's what happened for me also... I think we don't have to do that section of the site.

Ok, thanks. I guess that only leaves ranking my list...luckily its a cut and dry decision for me. Good luck to everyone else trying to weigh their options.

correct

Status
Not open for further replies.