The Republic of Texas XXIII: Our State Can Beat Up Your State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering the same thing myself so I just sent a withdrawal email to all schools I was not interested in. I got emails back from each admissions person within minutes acknowledging my wthdrawal and so now all I have left to rank are my pre-match offer and the schools I'm ranking higher. Takes the guess work out of the instructions.:)

Who did you email to decline your offers? Was it the coordinator/director or the associate dean of admissions? I did the same yesterday but still have yet to receive any confirmation from both my schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how long it takes UTHSCSA to provide an admission decision post-interview for OOS applicants? I interviewed in December and I am wondering when I can expect to hear a decision. Thanks.

No predictable time table that I'm aware of. They're probably a little busy with all the match stuff about to happen. Most likely you're are looking at seeing whether you make the waitlist, which should come out a few weeks after the match. I should add though that UTHSCA is a school that I'm not intimately familiar with, the above is just my general impressions of the last few Tx cycles.:luck:

Anyone know about how many people match who didn't prematch??

Members don't see this ad :)
Who did you email to decline your offers? Was it the coordinator/director or the associate dean of admissions? I did the same yesterday but still have yet to receive any confirmation from both my schools.

I emailed the admissions email that was available on their website (at the bottom of the page). That was for TTUHSC.

Anyone know about how many people match who didn't prematch??

Here was the breakdown for the Feb 2007 match.

1062 matches (does not include out of state, joint degree programs, or special programs)
Accepted with match 183 (17%)
Pre match offers 879 (83%)
477 with multiple offers (54%)
402 with only one offer (46%)
600 ranked offer school number 1 (68%)
279 ranked another school higher (32%)
21 matched to higher ranked school

Here was the breakdown for the Feb 2007 match.

1062 matches (does not include out of state, joint degree programs, or special programs)
Accepted with match 183 (17%)
Pre match offers 879 (83%)
477 with multiple offers (54%)
402 with only one offer (46%)
600 ranked offer school number 1 (68%)
279 ranked another school higher (32%)
21 matched to higher ranked school

Thanks!

Doesn't look good for me...:(

wow, only 21 matched to a higher school...that's kind of depressing. :(

Thanks!

Doesn't look good for me...:(

Please do not lose hope. 2007 was the first time they had pre-matches. All the schools over-achieved on sending out pre-matches and the match ended up being a train wreck for those still hoping for a slot.

Since then, some schools, UTH for one, have much more match spots. Last year's match was not nearly as bad as 2007. Last year there also seemed more movement on waitlists then had been seen in 2006 or 2007.

So hang in there and good luck.:luck:
DoctorMom22

Please do not lose hope. 2007 was the first time they had pre-matches. All the schools over-achieved on sending out pre-matches and the match ended up being a train wreck for those still hoping for a slot.

Since then, some schools, UTH for one, have much more match spots. Last year's match was not nearly as bad as 2007. Last year there also seemed more movement on waitlists then had been seen in 2006 or 2007.

DoctorMom22

Yeah, I should have added the caveat that 2007 was the first year with prematches. School strategy may have changed, though I don't think it has in huge terms, and I'm not so sure last year's match was much if any better in reality (don't have the #'s for it though).

For what it's worth I can also add that of those 183 matches, none were to UTSW and only 15 were with UTMB (me being one of those lucky punks haha).

wow, only 21 matched to a higher school...that's kind of depressing. :(
That could mean a lot of people got accepted to their first choice..

Aside from a few schools that offer lots of match spots (e.g. UTH), there is still waitlist movement to get a spot

Yeah, I should have added the caveat that 2007 was the first year with prematches. School strategy may have changed, though I don't think it has in huge terms, and I'm not so sure last year's match was much if any better in reality (don't have the #'s for it though).

For what it's worth I can also add that of those 183 matches, none were to UTSW and only 15 were with UTMB (me being one of those lucky punks haha).
I have a friend who claims UTSW matched 8 last year.

I have a friend who claims UTSW matched 8 last year.

I would not be surprised... though UTSW will accept more people in April and May when the people who applied through AMCAS decide to go to Baylor or Harvard, Hopkins, Penn and the like, so just wait...

Members don't see this ad :)

DoctorMom22

Thank you! :) That makes me feel a little better.

I'm still trying to figure out at this point if it's better to hope or just expect the fact I may have to find another option for next year.

Anyways, how're things going for people still trying to figure out rankings?? I can't believe it's almost time to finalize things and get ready for the match!! For what it's worth, I had a heck of a time figuring out where I wanted to rank everyone. In the end I just sat down and ranked without thinking about it too much, just to kinda see what my gut feeling was, and I came out pretty happy with what I ended up with.

Thank you! :) That makes me feel a little better.

I'm still trying to figure out at this point if it's better to hope or just expect the fact I may have to find another option for next year.

Anyways, how're things going for people still trying to figure out rankings?? I can't believe it's almost time to finalize things and get ready for the match!! For what it's worth, I had a heck of a time figuring out where I wanted to rank everyone. In the end I just sat down and ranked without thinking about it too much, just to kinda see what my gut feeling was, and I came out pretty happy with what I ended up with.

Did you int at UTH, since they're seemingly going to be the match king?

When I compared schools to rank, I found myself unconciously minimizing the cons of utmb and maximizing the pros. When i finally realized what I was doing, it was pretty clear where I really wanted to go.:luck:

Did you int at UTH, since they're seemingly going to be the match king?

When I compared schools to rank, I found myself unconciously minimizing the cons of utmb and maximizing the pros. When i finally realized what I was doing, it was pretty clear where I really wanted to go.:luck:

Yes I did. I int'd there, SA, UTMB, A&M, and TCOM. I know UTH relies mostly on the match, but I didn't feel that my int there was as strong as my SA or UTMB ones. It was good, but I didn't feel like I knocked it out of the park.

I knew what my first choice was immediately, but it was the rest of the list that was harder for me to do. There were a couple schools that I didn't really care which was where haha. In all honesty, I would be very happy at any school I interviewed at.

Yes I did. I int'd there, SA, UTMB, A&M, and TCOM. I know UTH relies mostly on the match, but I didn't feel that my int there was as strong as my SA or UTMB ones. It was good, but I didn't feel like I knocked it out of the park.

I knew what my first choice was immediately, but it was the rest of the list that was harder for me to do. There were a couple schools that I didn't really care which was where haha. In all honesty, I would be very happy at any school I interviewed at.

Well, I'm sure by now you know that guessing one's int performance and its inportance is basically like trying to read tea leaves. I really wouldn't care much about it...good, bad, or ugly.

Well, I'm sure by now you know that guessing one's int performance and its inportance is basically like trying to read tea leaves. I really wouldn't care much about it...good, bad, or ugly.

I dunno, I'm kind of an expert at reading tea leaves...;)

I dunno, I'm kind of an expert at reading tea leaves...;)

Well, if you pulled 'em out and demonstrated that at any of your int's you're a shoo-in:thumbup:.

Oh, and I hope you rank the schools the best way for you, and I would never want to influence anyone's decision at all, but you should be aware that not ranking UTMB #1 in the match is linked with early breast cancer, incontinence, and rotting in the hotter parts of hell in 4 religions. Its on Pubmed.

Last edited:
Quick question. I interviewed at two schools, UTMB and UTH. Pre-matched to UTMB.

So if I put UTH as 1st and UTMB as 2cnd and get matched to UTH I automatically give up my spot at UTMB.

However, If I put UTMB 1st and UTH second, I have a 0% chance of getting in to UTH since I already "matched" to UTMB.

Do I have this right?

Yes, I think you are right.

Is the deadline midnight today or tomorrow?

Quick question. I interviewed at two schools, UTMB and UTH. Pre-matched to UTMB.

So if I put UTH as 1st and UTMB as 2cnd and get matched to UTH I automatically give up my spot at UTMB.

However, If I put UTMB 1st and UTH second, I have a 0% chance of getting in to UTH since I already "matched" to UTMB.

Do I have this right?

Exactly right.

Rank List Woes :

Oh boy, I am so confused right now. Here's the situation. I am currently living in Dallas with my girlfriend. I have interviewed at Baylor, UTSW, and UTH, and have heard nothing from any of them yet. I now have to decide which to rank higher on my match list, UTSW or UTH. And I am having a very difficult time.

As far as each goes as a school, I liked the facilities better at UTH, and the curriculum better at UTSW. UTSW has the name going for it, I think it could help me more when applying for residency. Overall, if both schools were in the same location I would pick UTSW.

But alas, they are far away from eachother. My girlfriend has been trying to leave the Dallas area for quite some time, Houston would be a better city for her. Also, she is interested in public health, and the only program in dallas is... sub-par. The UTH public health program is ranked #12, which is awesome for her. So if I had to choose a location, Houston wins over Dallas.

This is all moot if I get into Baylor, but I interviewed 12/12, and haven't heard anything yet. Basically, it's too early to tell and I have to wait a long time. I also have to rank schools today...

Is anyone else out there deciding between UTSW and UTH, and if so what were your selling points to each? Am I taking this "name" and "ranking" thing too seriously when I place UTSW over UTH as a school?

Obviously I'm not looking for someone to tell me what to do, but some new perspective would be very welcomed.

One thing I will say to you, Evee, is that this is a girlfriend.. not a fiancee, and not a wife. If you are so serious with each other that the stresses of medical school definitely will NOT break you up, you should take her into consideration. If this is something new and/or not that serious, DO NOT put your future in the hands of a casual relationship. Make the decision that is best for you.

That being said, I don't think the reputation of UTSW will offer a significant advantage over UTH.

In my opinion, it seems you like everything about UTH, except the slightly lower ranking of it compared to UTSW. I think you need to ultimately go where you are happier, and I have a feeling you won't be feeling like kittens and rainbows every day because you're at a higher ranked school.

One thing I will say to you, Evee, is that this is a girlfriend.. not a fiancee, and not a wife. If you are so serious with each other that the stresses of medical school definitely will NOT break you up, you should take her into consideration. If this is something new and/or not that serious, DO NOT put your future in the hands of a casual relationship. Make the decision that is best for you.

That being said, I don't think the reputation of UTSW will offer a significant advantage over UTH.

In my opinion, it seems you like everything about UTH, except the slightly lower ranking of it compared to UTSW. I think you need to ultimately go where you are happier, and I have a feeling you won't be feeling like kittens and rainbows every day because you're at a higher ranked school.

Definitely agree with this. Go where you think you can succeed. The push that school ranking could give you in residency is neglible compared to the benefit of being comfortable and relatively happy during school because you will perform better.

... and I have a feeling you won't be feeling like kittens and rainbows every day because you're at a higher ranked school.

Everyone should listen to this. I know it's especially true for me; part of why I was perfectly okay staying in state with applications, and why I'm so hopeful about TAMHSC for the match, is that I tend to like the schools that are a little lower ranked. At least in my exposure to the students, they're often more my type: bright but personable.

No offense, UTSW/Baylor folks. If you're on here, I'm sure you're wonderful, too. But those classmates / colleagues of yours that are stiffs? Yeah, that's who I'm talking about. :D

Do we have to decide which pre-match to keep by midnight tonight or tomorrow night?

Last edited:
Everyone should listen to this. I know it's especially true for me; part of why I was perfectly okay staying in state with applications, and why I'm so hopeful about TAMHSC for the match, is that I tend to like the schools that are a little lower ranked. At least in my exposure to the students, they're often more my type: bright but personable.

No offense, UTSW/Baylor folks. If you're on here, I'm sure you're wonderful, too. But those classmates / colleagues of yours that are stiffs? Yeah, that's who I'm talking about. :D

What do you guys think the differences are in the student bodies of UTSW and UTHSCSA?

the UTHSCSA students seemed older to me and less "competitive." by competitive i mean they weren't really talking much about grading systems, studying, etc. there were also a lot of married students at UTHSCSA.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm trying to decide between UTH and UTSW too. I think I'm going to go with UTSW because my family and all of my relatives lives in the Dallas area. Besides I have lived there for most of my life. I think having a good support group would help a lot when you're getting adjusted to the rigors of medical school. But if family weren't a major factor, I would have leaned slightly towards UTH...

Wonderful post. Everyone, when making their decisions, should take all the reputation ranking garbage and throw it out the window. A school should be good enough and attractive enough on its own merits to attract the brightest students without some nebulous meaningless ranking to do it for them. Go where you'll be happiest.

Rank List Woes :

Oh boy, I am so confused right now. Here's the situation. I am currently living in Dallas with my girlfriend. I have interviewed at Baylor, UTSW, and UTH, and have heard nothing from any of them yet. I now have to decide which to rank higher on my match list, UTSW or UTH. And I am having a very difficult time.

As far as each goes as a school, I liked the facilities better at UTH, and the curriculum better at UTSW. UTSW has the name going for it, I think it could help me more when applying for residency. Overall, if both schools were in the same location I would pick UTSW.

But alas, they are far away from eachother. My girlfriend has been trying to leave the Dallas area for quite some time, Houston would be a better city for her. Also, she is interested in public health, and the only program in dallas is... sub-par. The UTH public health program is ranked #12, which is awesome for her. So if I had to choose a location, Houston wins over Dallas.

This is all moot if I get into Baylor, but I interviewed 12/12, and haven't heard anything yet. Basically, it's too early to tell and I have to wait a long time. I also have to rank schools today...

Is anyone else out there deciding between UTSW and UTH, and if so what were your selling points to each? Am I taking this "name" and "ranking" thing too seriously when I place UTSW over UTH as a school?

Obviously I'm not looking for someone to tell me what to do, but some new perspective would be very welcomed.

I just finished deciding between these two schools as well. It took writing down details for each, side by side, to realize that my heart was more into one than the other.

Ultimately, there wasn't that many major differences for me between them. One of the more notable differences that may or may not mean anything to you is the class schedule and testing. UTH has ~4 classes at a time with tests in each class every 6-8 wks, while UTSW has ~2 classes at a time with tests every 2-3 wks (someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I gathered from handouts and info from current students). Does one of these styles suit you better?

In regards to the girlfriend thing, Armybound has provided sage advice that you should definitely take into consideration. Medical school will be a long journey and having a companion who will support you in whatever decisions you think are best is reassuring to say the least.

Good luck.

the UTHSCSA students seemed older to me and less "competitive." by competitive i mean they weren't really talking much about grading systems, studying, etc.

Not to be rude, but at my UTSW interview some of the 3rd and 4th years on the student Q&A panel were downright cocky. Not saying that's a bad thing, but come on it's med school not Special Forces training.

Not to be rude, but at my UTSW interview some of the 3rd and 4th years on the student Q&A panel were downright cocky. Not saying that's a bad thing, but come on it's med school not Special Forces training.

That's strange because during my interview the students on the panel were almost too laid back. They joked around so much that it was difficult to get real answers to some of the questions being asked.

Just going to add my $0.02 and say I agree with this. I have a girlfriend that I've been with for going on 4 years next month, so by any measure, this is a "serious" relationship. However, she understands that our hometown school (UTHSCSA) might not be the best place for my medical studies (not that I don't think it's a great school; it's going to be either no. 2 or no. 3 on my match list), and if we've got to do the long-distance thing for a while, well that's what we're gonna do. She knows that at this stage of our lives, we each have to take care of our professional aspirations first (she's going to be applying to med school next year), and that if our relationship is strong enough, it'll survive.

All of that said, don't just determine which school to go to based on rankings- but don't decide just based on location either; you have to take everything into account. I'm not a fan of Houston or Dallas, but I love the curriculum and facilities at UTSW and Baylor; hence, that's why those two are my top choices.

I got this feeling as well- however, it was really one or two students and not the whole panel I got that feeling from. In any med school class with 150+ students, you're going to get a couple of gunners, and maybe (for the sake of argument) there are a few more at UTSW; you still choose who you hang out and associate with on a daily basis, so just steer clear of that group.

That's strange because during my interview the students on the panel were almost too laid back. They joked around so much that it was difficult to get real answers to some of the questions being asked.

Yeah my panel was pretty laid back too. Ionno, I feel that there will always be some people that annoy you at any medical school, but as long you find a good niche of people to hang out/study with, then things would be fine.

Edit: Ahh Spurs beat me to it, I'm a slow poster..

People on here sometimes lose sight of what an achievement getting into med school and earning an MD (at a U.S. allopathic school) really is. Sure, most people on here are accepted to med school and it starts to seem mundane, but when out in the general population I find people are quite impressed with people who can get this far (since it is such a tiny percentage of the population and thought to be so tough). People who complain about the cockiness of med students/doctors these days should be very glad they weren't going through it 20-30 years ago.

People on here sometimes lose sight of what an achievement getting into med school and earning an MD (at a U.S. allopathic school) really is. Sure, most people on here are accepted to med school and it starts to seem mundane, but when out in the general population I find people are quite impressed with people who can get this far (since it is such a tiny percentage of the population and thought to be so tough). People who complain about the cockiness of med students/doctors these days should be very glad they weren't going through it 20-30 years ago.
the complete opposite has been my experience. when I tell friends that I've been accepted they seem completely unimpressed, like getting into medical school is just like applying for a job or getting into undergrad. most seem utterly clueless about what becoming a physician is like... the most common question is if I'll be getting my MD or if I'm going into a specialty, like you don't get an MD, then specialize. Most think you go straight into residency instead of going to school first.

Do we have to decide which pre-match to keep by midnight tonight or tomorrow night?

Just called TMDSAS and the lady told me we have until midnight tomorrow night (Jan. 15)

the complete opposite has been my experience. when I tell friends that I've been accepted they seem completely unimpressed, like getting into medical school is just like applying for a job or getting into undergrad. most seem utterly clueless about what becoming a physician is like... the most common question is if I'll be getting my MD or if I'm going into a specialty, like you don't get an MD, then specialize. Most think you go straight into residency instead of going to school first.
same here

I'm not a fan of Houston or Dallas, but I love the curriculum and facilities at UTSW and Baylor; hence, that's why those two are my top choices.

What do you like about UTSW's curriculum and facilities above other TX schools? To me, it seemed like UTSW's facilities aren't as shiny and new as the other TX schools. Also, the differences in curriculum seem modest among the med schools (with the exception of UTMB).

same here

And here. I get a little bit of oh-good-for-you niceties, but typically not from people who understand that statistically, the odds are stacked against you from the very beginning: sub-50% acceptance rate throughout the country, typically lower than that for many individual schools.

But of course, I say that as an interviewee only, as I am currently getting my ass handed to me by said odds. :laugh:

Yeah. Not to sound elitist, but only my friends who went to 4 year universities with lots of pre-meds and my family really know what it takes. The rest of my friends know on some abstract level that it's "hard," but they don't realize how competitive it is.

I really think what medicine needs is a reality show or mainstream documentary. Something along the lines of ABC's "Hopkins," but that's more long-term and follows the process from AMCAS/TMDSAS to residency and beyond. Maybe I'll get a cheap video camera and make that my side project when I start school.

Last edited:
haha... ive thought about that too- a documentary of getting into med school and your experience through it. i think the general public might be interested... depending on how its done

honestly, i dont think the general public- including my own friends, family friends, etc. understand how hard it is to get in. and really, it's not their fault- they just assume that getting into med school is like getting into any other grad program- difficult. but what they don't really know- and cant really know- is that for most people this is a life long endeavor. most of you, have probably always been a hardworking student- whether in 3rd grade or a junior in college. also, they dont understand the emotional component to applying and waiting ...and how psychologically trying it can be.

oh well. ive learned that i cant try to explain it. i just have to know it myself...and share my revelry with the few that actually get it...

What do you like about UTSW's curriculum and facilities above other TX schools? To me, it seemed like UTSW's facilities aren't as shiny and new as the other TX schools. Also, the differences in curriculum seem modest among the med schools (with the exception of UTMB).

I guess there are really just nuanced differences in the curricula in the first two years; what I really like about UTSW is Parkland and how 3rd and 4th years is structured. True, it may not be as "shiny" as some of the other schools, but I just like the idea of working at a county hospital that serves as large of an area as Dallas- Parkland gets some really weird pathologies. The one thing I think really sets UTSW apart from the other schools is that the med students actually take 30-36 hour call as an MS3, and while I'm sure that's exhausting, it just sounds like a great experience from an educational standpoint. Also, research has always been important to me, and I think UTSW is the best place in the state to do research, even better than Baylor.

I guess I'm kind of personally invested in UTSW, having done research there for 2 summers; I think the things that truly set it apart are probably the chance to take call as an MS3 and MS4 and the research, and the rest is all probably personal attachment :oops: It just "feels" right for me.

I guess there are really just nuanced differences in the curricula in the first two years; what I really like about UTSW is Parkland and how 3rd and 4th years is structured. True, it may not be as "shiny" as some of the other schools, but I just like the idea of working at a county hospital that serves as large of an area as Dallas- Parkland gets some really weird pathologies. The one thing I think really sets UTSW apart from the other schools is that the med students actually take 30-36 hour call as an MS3, and while I'm sure that's exhausting, it just sounds like a great experience from an educational standpoint. Also, research has always been important to me, and I think UTSW is the best place in the state to do research, even better than Baylor.

I guess I'm kind of personally invested in UTSW, having done research there for 2 summers; I think the things that truly set it apart are probably the chance to take call as an MS3 and MS4 and the research, and the rest is all probably personal attachment :oops: It just "feels" right for me.
From what I understood at the interview UTH students take call also.

Status
Not open for further replies.