The Republic of Texas XXXIII: Lone Star State Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is jumping the gun by a few years, but what does the PGY1/PGY2/PGY1 Only/Categorical mean? I know PGY1 or PGY2 means the first or second year of residency, but if it says someone matched to Neurology-PGY2, does that mean they just jumped right into year 2? Or did they do their first year of residency (general IM stuff) at their current school, then went on to residency? Or...?
As I understand it, some residencies require a traditional rotating internship before you enter the specific program as a PGY2. They could have also done transitional year if they didn't match and entered as a PGY2. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you that the A&M wait list emails were sent out today. I'd like to know if anyone got a UTSW wait list email.

I believe UTSW automatically puts everyone on the wait list and doesn't further notify.

Reactions: 1 user
This is jumping the gun by a few years, but what does the PGY1/PGY2/PGY1 Only/Categorical mean? I know PGY1 or PGY2 means the first or second year of residency, but if it says someone matched to Neurology-PGY2, does that mean they just jumped right into year 2? Or did they do their first year of residency (general IM stuff) at their current school, then went on to residency? Or...?

Every residency requires an intern year (PGY1) either in medicine, surgery, or a transitional year. Many residencies have that intern year built in to the program (these are called categorical programs) so you do all of your years in one program. Some residencies are separate, so you have to apply for an intern year in addition to the residency programs (radiology, neurology, ophtho, etc...are often like this).

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone who matched! "Y'all done good." :D I'm super happy for my friend who got matched to UTMB.

PLFSOM sent out alternate list emails!

I'm your friend, right? :D
I meant someone else I personally know, but of course you can count as that friend, too. ;) I'm applying next cycle, so I reckon I'll be hopping back to this thread by then.

I meant someone else I personally know, but of course you can count as that friend, too. ;) I'm applying next cycle, so I reckon I'll be hopping back to this thread by then.
haha I know. That's cool though. I wish you luck! Don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything.

haha I know. That's cool though. I wish you luck! Don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything.
Thanks! I find the app process overwhelming and daunting (mostly bc I haven't gotten to the point of finishing all the prereqs and taking the MCAT yet), but I'm grateful for the wealth of wisdom and resources on SDN. I consider it my online pre-med advisor.

Thanks! I find the app process overwhelming and daunting (mostly bc I haven't gotten to the point of finishing all the prereqs and taking the MCAT yet), but I'm grateful for the wealth of wisdom and resources on SDN. I consider it my online pre-med advisor.
SDN has been my only premed advisor as a nontrad and I got two acceptances so far, so I guess it worked. This is absolutely a daunting process... Long and stressful. Keep going... It is so worth it when you hold that acceptance letter in your hand and know that you are going to be a doctor.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, 2015-2016 cycle applicant here. Congrats to all who matched and best of luck to those on waitlists! I'm rooting for you guys.
For those who wish to help, I'd like to get your opinions on my LORs and which would be best to submit. My pre-med advisor is useless and I'm a non-trad anyway, so you are my best resource!

For TMDSAS, I'll be submitting individual letters. I have several letters that I can choose from: 2 that I have been "hoarding" for lack of a better word since graduation 2 years ago, 1 new letter from a BCPM class taken within the last year, and 1 new letter from a physician (MD). The 2 old letters are dated as 2013 and it is very unlikely that I will be able to get them updated because both professors have moved on (one to another school, one retired) and I have no contact with either.

One old letter is from a math professor I had for 3 classes (math major here), and I earned an A, A, and A+ in his courses. I requested the letter after the A+ grade and was told, "I never write letters of recommendation unless it is for a top student and I make sure that my letters explain how difficult I make my classes." Therefore, I think this letter likely speaks highly of my commitment and hopefully has other positive attributes. My concerns about this letter are the 2013 date and whether or not it will be accepted as a letter from a "science" professor, even though math is included in BCPM. The other old letter is from an English professor (I also had a concentration in English) and I believe this is a very strong letter, as well. Again, my concern is just the old date of the letter.

I absolutely want to include the new letter from the BCPM class taken within the last year. I would also really like to include the letter from the physician. I first met this doctor through scribing and eventually requested to only scribe with him because of how much he taught me each shift. He truly became a mentor to me through this scribe-physician relationship and there are many attributes of his practice that I would like to emulate myself as a physician. He knows me and my abilities extremely well and I have worked at least 500 hours exclusively with him.

I understand that TMDSAS states the following about LORs: It is recommended that your evaluators be current/former professors that can speak to your academic ability in the sciences. Here is where I need opinions: which letters would you send? I really cannot decide if it is worth sending 3 letters, considering the third is "not recommended." I've seen posts from individuals who sent 3 and witnessed no repercussions and I've seen posts from individuals who argue the "Why do something that is not recommended?" line. I know that one of my two letters will be from the recent BCPM professor. Who would you recommend fills my second letter requirement and would you recommend I send three?

Almost finished here, I promise. As for Baylor, they specifically state that if you have not attended college for 1+ year(s), one letter needs to be from a direct supervisor. I can get this letter and I believe it will be positive, as well. They then ask that a second and third letter be from current or former professors and that letters cannot be more than 1 year old. This rules out either of my two old letters and leaves me one letter short. I do have another science professor lined up for a new LOR, but I have not spoken to him in a while. Has anyone had experience in emailing Baylor's admission office and asking if X letter outside the restriction would be accepted? Specifically, in a perfect world, I would like Baylor's letters to be: 1. new BCPM letter, 2. MD letter, 3. direct supervisor letter.

If you've made it this far, I thank you :bow:. Any opinions and/or experiences are appreciated!

I was interviewed at UTH and A&M but didn't match although the interviews went well. 3.7GPA & 33MCAT. Planning to reapply. Any suggestions on research opportunities or other enriching activities in / around Houston for the gap year??

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who matched!

I didn't match anywhere either :(. I interviewed at three schools, and my last two interviews went really well. MCAT is a little low-27, science GPA- 3.8. Any advice? Should I start working on retaking my mcat for next cycle?

I was interviewed at UTH and A&M but didn't match although the interviews went well. 3.7GPA & 33MCAT. Planning to reapply. Any suggestions on research opportunities or other enriching activities in / around Houston for the gap year??

When did you apply and how were you EC's?

I think retaking MCAT will increase your chances. You have a great GPA. Good luck.
I have 2.7 and 33, didn't match anywhere. will reapply next year.

I think retaking MCAT will increase your chances. You have a great GPA. Good luck.
I have 2.7 and 33, didn't match anywhere. will reapply next year.
correcion: I had 3.7GPA and 33

Thanks for your reply @iscream4icecream. I haven't seen that one year old requirement listed for TMDSAS. So you think it would be better for me to try and track down one of the old letter writer rather than include the MD letter? I think his letter would best sum up my potential as a future physician, so I really wanted to include that one...

For TMDSAS, I'll be submitting individual letters. I have several letters that I can choose from: 2 that I have been "hoarding" for lack of a better word since graduation 2 years ago, 1 new letter from a BCPM class taken within the last year, and 1 new letter from a physician (MD). The 2 old letters are dated as 2013 and it is very unlikely that I will be able to get them updated because both professors have moved on (one to another school, one retired) and I have no contact with either.

One old letter is from a math professor I had for 3 classes (math major here), and I earned an A, A, and A+ in his courses. I requested the letter after the A+ grade and was told, "I never write letters of recommendation unless it is for a top student and I make sure that my letters explain how difficult I make my classes." Therefore, I think this letter likely speaks highly of my commitment and hopefully has other positive attributes. My concerns about this letter are the 2013 date and whether or not it will be accepted as a letter from a "science" professor, even though math is included in BCPM. The other old letter is from an English professor (I also had a concentration in English) and I believe this is a very strong letter, as well. Again, my concern is just the old date of the letter.

I absolutely want to include the new letter from the BCPM class taken within the last year. I would also really like to include the letter from the physician. I first met this doctor through scribing and eventually requested to only scribe with him because of how much he taught me each shift. He truly became a mentor to me through this scribe-physician relationship and there are many attributes of his practice that I would like to emulate myself as a physician. He knows me and my abilities extremely well and I have worked at least 500 hours exclusively with him.

I vote for three letters. The admission committees should realize that you've been out of school for a while so they might get a slightly different assortment of letters than a regular applicant fresh out of school. I can't imagine they'd throw your app in the trash just because they have to read one more letter. The letter from the physician would be good for a non-trad to show that you do, indeed, know what you're getting into and you've already made some commitments to medicine. Especially if that wasn't your original goal and you didn't do all the typical pre-med activities that "show you care." Then use the BCPM prof letter since it's recent.

As for the third letter, the math prof would probably be close enough to count as a science prof. But I would go with whoever can speak about you more personally. "Yeah this person is pretty smart and passed my exams" is probably a weaker recommendation than an English prof who can say you really participated, contributed, thought deeply and analytically, expressed yourself well, argued/debated politely with other people, and eagerly tackled difficult material in, say, an intensive English Lit class. Might make you seem more well-rounded. But I don't know your background or your letters, so go with whichever one you think is stronger. I don't think there's a wrong choice.

That's what I'd do, anyway.

FWIW, some non-TX schools ask for something like one letter from a science prof, one from a non-science, and one to speak about you personally. All my letters were science profs, and no one raised a fuss. I think adcoms are flexible as long as your letters demonstrate you're smart and not psychotic.

So some of us get traded for future 1-8th round match picks?
1970648_908962262469129_4341158442975786309_n.jpg

This is exactly what I meant (this was shared by Texas Tech Lubbock SOM's FB page about the Texas Association of Advisors for the Health Professions annual meeting) but it shows that they all know and meet each other, no doubt trading us like baseball cards haha

Reactions: 1 users
1970648_908962262469129_4341158442975786309_n.jpg

This is exactly what I meant (this was shared by Texas Tech Lubbock SOM's FB page about the Texas Association of Advisors for the Health Professions annual meeting) but it shows that they all know and meet each other, no doubt trading us like baseball cards haha
Are those the deans/adcoms from each school?

When did you apply and how were you EC's?
I applied in July and I had very good EC with 100+ clinical research at Rice, 100+ volunteer hours shadow hourd 120hrs+ with lot of leadership roles in different Orgs. I don't know for sure what went wrong though. probably lower Gpa ( it was 3.68 when I applied, now I have 3.71)

Do you think I can take additional classes during this GAP year to improve GPA?

I applied in July and I had very good EC with 100+ clinical research at Rice, 100+ volunteer hours shadow hourd 120hrs+ with lot of leadership roles in different Orgs. I don't know for sure what went wrong though. probably lower Gpa ( it was 3.68 when I applied, now I have 3.71)

Do you think I can take additional classes during this GAP year to improve GPA?

I don't think your GPA is a problem. How many schools did you apply to? And from what I've read over the years, the biggest factor is almost the time you submit your application. It's probably incorrect to say that July is "late", but it's true that the earlier you submit it, the better

anyone haven't sent fall grades yet? I won't be back in my college town until end of this month...does anyone know if there's any kind of deadline on transcripts?

anyone haven't sent fall grades yet? I won't be back in my college town until end of this month...does anyone know if there's any kind of deadline on transcripts?
Can't you order them online? By phone? Fax?

Hi guys. I posted this in the What Are My Chances? forum but I want to post it here to get some input from fellow Texans. I will be applying in the 2015-2016 cycle.

uGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 4.0
gGPA: 2.8 (law school)
TMDSAS cGPA: 3.4

MCAT: 39 (12/13/14)

No volunteering yet. Trying to get started at a couple of places.

Full time ED scribe. Scribes at our hospital are VERY involved and quite possibly do more than scribes at any other hospital in the country. We not only document history, ROS, and PEx, we also input lab and radiology orders for doctors to review and approve, carry their phones and/or Voceras to answer calls from nurses and pages from the front desk, prepare all patient discharge documentation, and much more.

150 hours of genetics research.

Editor on the law review of a top 14 law school.

Extensive work experience from fast food in high school, to cashier/photo tech at CVS and material handler in a factory in college, to legal research assistant during law school, to pharmacy technician and now ED scribe during post-bacc years.

Obviously, my app has very strong points, but also very weak points. I didn't have any student organization participation in college due to working almost full time while attending school. I have no volunteering as of now. I hope to have about 120 hours of volunteering by the time I apply.

1st generation immigrant; ORM.

What are my chances at all the Texas schools? I would strongly prefer MD as I am very skeptical of the usage of OMM/OMT as a therapeutic technique. I would like some input as to whether I can get away with leaving out TCOM.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi guys. I posted this in the What Are My Chances? forum but I want to post it here to get some input from fellow Texans. I will be applying in the 2015-2016 cycle.

Full time ED scribe. Scribes at our hospital are VERY involved and quite possibly do more than scribes at any other hospital in the country. We not only document history, ROS, and PEx, we also input lab and radiology orders for doctors to review and approve, carry their phones and/or Voceras to answer calls from nurses and pages from the front desk, prepare all patient discharge documentation, and much more.

Extensive work experience from fast food in high school, to cashier/photo tech at CVS and material handler in a factory in college, to legal research assistant during law school, to pharmacy technician and now ED scribe during post-bacc years.

Obviously, my app has very strong points, but also very weak points. I didn't have any student organization participation in college due to working almost full time while attending school. I have no volunteering as of now. I hope to have about 120 hours of volunteering by the time I apply.

What are my chances at all the Texas schools? I would strongly prefer MD as I am very skeptical of the usage of OMM/OMT as a therapeutic technique. I would like some input as to whether I can get away with leaving out TCOM.

Seems to me like you have a strong chance. volunteering + community service? Why is your graduate GPA so low? Did you ever work as a JD in any capacity? Why do you want the MD? What, presumably, dissatisfied you about having the JD? Those might be some parts of our application that may make people skeptical but if you have some level of volunteering to show that you actually want to serve others and can provide a credible reason why you left Law school, Law in general, and had such a low GPA then I think you have a very good chance of getting in somewhere.

Seems to me like you have a strong chance. volunteering + community service? Why is your graduate GPA so low? Did you ever work as a JD in any capacity? Why do you want the MD? What, presumably, dissatisfied you about having the JD? Those might be some parts of our application that may make people skeptical but if you have some level of volunteering to show that you actually want to serve others and can provide a credible reason why you left Law school, Law in general, and had such a low GPA then I think you have a very good chance of getting in somewhere.

A 2.8 is not a terribly low GPA for law school. It's actually average. Law school grading is on a fixed curve (at many law schools, the average student has a 2.5 GPA) and the level of competition is intense.

A 2.8 is not a terribly low GPA for law school. It's actually average. Law school grading is on a fixed curve (at many law schools, the average student has a 2.5 GPA) and the level of competition is intense.

Ah see well I didn't know that. I'm used to grad gpas being inflated.

I would say your chances are quite strong, but you simply must beef up your volunteering. Many great apps have been killed by lack of volunteer work. You're also going to need to write a pretty passionate PS for show this is truly your dream, you aren't just looking for something else other than law and decided that medicine pays around the same thing. Please don't misunderstand, I believe you wouldn't be applying and asking for a chance if you weren't passionate, but I'm a whole lot easier to convince than jaded adcoms. Beyond that, I think you should look into TCOM a little more... Many DOs specialize and never look at OMM again. That's just an extra trick in the book, but the DO philosophy of looking for the root causes of disease from a holistic perspective is pretty cool. That's not to say you wouldn't get in to another state school, but this whole application game is so unpredictable that you need to expand your options as much as possible. If your heart is really set against TCOM, though, then you might consider a few private schools like Tulane to expand your options further. Overall, I think if you add volunteering, you'll find yourself an MS0 this time next year. ;)

I would say your chances are quite strong, but you simply must beef up your volunteering. Many great apps have been killed by lack of volunteer work. You're also going to need to write a pretty passionate PS for show this is truly your dream, you aren't just looking for something else other than law and decided that medicine pays around the same thing. Please don't misunderstand, I believe you wouldn't be applying and asking for a chance if you weren't passionate, but I'm a whole lot easier to convince than jaded adcoms. Beyond that, I think you should look into TCOM a little more... Many DOs specialize and never look at OMM again. That's just an extra trick in the book, but the DO philosophy of looking for the root causes of disease from a holistic perspective is pretty cool. That's not to say you wouldn't get in to another state school, but this whole application game is so unpredictable that you need to expand your options as much as possible. If your heart is really set against TCOM, though, then you might consider a few private schools like Tulane to expand your options further. Overall, I think if you add volunteering, you'll find yourself an MS0 this time next year. ;)
Oh yeah, and did you mention shadowing? That's definitely necessary too.

Oh yeah, and did you mention shadowing? That's definitely necessary too.

I have 40 hours of shadowing a PCP. I have gotten permission from a gastroenterologist to shadow him and I just need to get it set up. Hopefully another 20 hours at least.

You'll get in without issue. Buff up the volunteering though like you mentioned. I'm assuming schools will view your uGPA and gGPA in different lights. If they do, then UtSW and Baylor are definitely within reach once you add volunteering.

I don't think that your GPA was the problem since mine was lower than that. Was your MCAT decent? I would take a look at your personal statement and rethink over your rec letters to see if you went wrong somewhere there, and also apply the 1st week of June. When you say lots of leadership roles, were some of them quality leadership roles? I think that they look more for commitment to something rather than president of a bunch of premed organizations. Read over how you wrote about those experiences, and see what they say about you. Maybe you could improve just by changing the way that you described an experience.
Thanks for the advice. I had 33MCAT. Actually I applied in Jun but was "completed" in July. I am sure completing late could be a reason. Will work on my LORs and ECs. I applied all IS MD schools this time. Will applied. Got interviews from UTH, A &M and Baylor only. Not sure why the others didn't get me an II :(

I don't think your GPA is a problem. How many schools did you apply to? And from what I've read over the years, the biggest factor is almost the time you submit your application. It's probably incorrect to say that July is "late", but it's true that the earlier you submit it, the better
Thank you, I will apply earlier next time. I applied to All IS MD schools this time. Now I regret not applying to the DO school.

It's been too quiet! Has anyone received a waitlist acceptance for a Texas school? It appears that most movement is in May, but there will surely be some trickling in each month. My thinking is that the 2 week mark from match day might bring a few waitlisters in.

I wish. I'm thinking the first movement won't be til March at least though...just based on previous years.

Does anyone know if any schools are underfilled / overfilled? That has a huge factor on the trickle down / up spots opening. I know that El Paso "filled the class" with pre-match + match, but that might mean they are at 130/100 or 100/100. As someone waiting on waitlists, I'm hoping that the schools played it safe this year and still have openings to fill!

Does anyone know if any schools are underfilled / overfilled? That has a huge factor on the trickle down / up spots opening. I know that El Paso "filled the class" with pre-match + match, but that might mean they are at 130/100 or 100/100. As someone waiting on waitlists, I'm hoping that the schools played it safe this year and still have openings to fill!
The match system completely fills each class. Openings will only occur if a person goes to another school

The only school I know of so far with openings is TCOM bc they are waiting for the med sci students to have their finals grades posted

The match system completely fills each class. Openings will only occur if a person goes to another school

The only school I know of so far with openings is TCOM bc they are waiting for the med sci students to have their finals grades posted

I was under the impression that they accepted over their class size because of the A&M incident years ago where they gave out too many acceptances that people actually kept.

I feel you have a strong chance based on numbers alone. You might get questions due to the law school GPA, but just tell them the average law school GPA. Also, you can contact schools in advance and ask how they see graduate GPA. I would apply to TCOM just in case unless most of the Texas schools say that they ignore graduate GPA.

Hi guys does anybody know if i can apply early without having my MCAT yet? as in May 1st for TMDSAS. I'm taking the MCAT June 20th, am I considered late for this cycle if i get my scores back till July? I'm interested in applying to all the TX schools as well.

Hi guys does anybody know if i can apply early without having my MCAT yet? as in May 1st for TMDSAS. I'm taking the MCAT June 20th, am I considered late for this cycle if i get my scores back till July? I'm interested in applying to all the TX schools as well.
You can apply without your MCAT score. There is a spot on the application where you can indicate future test dates. Your application will probably not be considered until it is complete. I would suggest that you submit it along with all of your transcripts so that you are verified and ready to go the moment that your MCAT score is released.

Looks like one person got in off the waitlist at UTHSCSA a few weeks ago. I haven't seen anything else happen at all.

Looks like one person got in off the waitlist at UTHSCSA a few weeks ago. I haven't seen anything else happen at all.
I have noticed multiple people joining the fb group here and there. Idk if they are late joiners or are just now getting accepted.