The Republic of Texas XXXVI: You may all go to hell, and I will go to a Texas medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. UTSW (Prematch)
2. McGovern (Prematch)
3. TT Lubbock (Prematch)
4. Long SOM
5. UTMB (Pre-match --> withdraw)

To all those without a prematch to their top choice, may the odds be in your favor!
@Carmiche, where did you match today?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
#1 UTMB
#2 TT El Paso
#3 TCOM

Fortunate enough to have matched to UTMB.

Reactions: 1 users
Share your news, y'all! Some of you have but I have seen tons of new accounts just created today to share match news. C'mon, regular posters :)

The more good news the better! Give it up ya'll :clap:

1. Long SOM
2. Texas A&M
3. Texas Tech
4. UTRGV (prematch)
5. UNT (prematch)

matched to UTRGV

Reactions: 4 users
I have separation orders and approved terminal leave, but I’m still in constant fear that somehow I won’t be able to get out in time to start school. I definitely feel your pain. Good luck.
spoke with branch today....packet is sitting in the email in box for final signature approval....last I heard he leaning in my favor along with my GO's recommendation (She was his boss previously)....fingers crossed.

This is a hell of the thread bump, but coming from a non-traditional path, I was wanting to see if I'd be eligible to apply for 2019 matriculation (TMDSAS 2018) if I'd still be working on prerequisites through the spring semester of next year. I was also wanting to put off taking the MCAT until I had at least one semester of organic chemistry under my belt, which I won't be taking until this fall. I've read that the "processing of an application may be delayed if grades from prerequisite courses or MCAT scores are not included at the time application". I don't know what that means though or if schools would even accept applications from people still working on prerequisites required for admissions.

This is a hell of the thread bump, but coming from a non-traditional path, I was wanting to see if I'd be eligible to apply for 2019 matriculation (TMDSAS 2018) if I'd still be working on prerequisites through the spring semester of next year. I was also wanting to put off taking the MCAT until I had at least one semester of organic chemistry under my belt, which I won't be taking until this fall. I've read that the "processing of an application may be delayed if grades from prerequisite courses or MCAT scores are not included at the time application". I don't know what that means though or if schools would even accept applications from people still working on prerequisites required for admissions.

You don't need to have all your prerequisites done by the time of application or interview. You only need to have them done before matriculation. For example, if you apply, interview, and are offered a spot and you are missing Gen. Bio 2, then you can take Gen Bio 2 the spring semester or first summer session before the start of class in late July or early August.

The offer will only be rescinded if you don't have the Gen. Bio 2 done before classes start.

Last edited:
My GPA is less than stellar, but I've have showed quite a trend of improvement from my undergrad years. No idea where it will average out at currently, but I've made nothing but A's in every course I've taken since graduating (which is a significant amount of classwork). I just wonder if not having an MCAT score on my application potentially until January of 2019 would hurt, considering my less than stellar GPA and the fact that I will not have completed all the prerequisite coursework when I apply.

Does anyone know how GPA is calculated on the TMDSAS?

The TMDSAS Application Handbook will help you determine what you GPA will be: https://www.tmdsas.com/Application Handbook EY 2018.pdf

If you plan to apply in May 2018 and matriculate in July 2019, then you will need to take the MCAT in the Spring 2018. Your 2018 TMDSAS application will not transmit to the schools without a MCAT score.

Share your news, y'all! Some of you have but I have seen tons of new accounts just created today to share match news. C'mon, regular posters :)

Sorry, still basking in my pre-match lol. A&M for me :)

My GPA is less than stellar, but I've have showed quite a trend of improvement from my undergrad years. No idea where it will average out at currently, but I've made nothing but A's in every course I've taken since graduating (which is a significant amount of classwork). I just wonder if not having an MCAT score on my application potentially until January of 2019 would hurt, considering my less than stellar GPA and the fact that I will not have completed all the prerequisite coursework when I apply.

Does anyone know how GPA is calculated on the TMDSAS?

Doing coursework until spring of 2019 is fine. The problem is the MCAT. The latest testing date you'll be able to submit with an application for this coming cycle would be September 2018. In other words, your app would be voided for the 2018-2019 cycle if you didn't take the MCAT until January 2019.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing coursework until spring of 2019 is fine. The problem is the MCAT. The latest testing date you'll be able to submit with an application for this coming cycle would be September 2018. In other words, your app would be voided for the 2018-2019 cycle if you didn't take the MCAT until January 2019.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll need to do some self teaching to prepare. I know the MCAT isn't something to take lightly. Two chances, and you're done, but I'm going to treat like I only have one.

Meaning you wouldn't take the MCAT until January 2019, since that will be the first time available after completion of the fall semester? You won't get interviews without an MCAT score, and TMDSAS interview season, as well as the 2019 TMDSAS match, would be complete before you received your score. Maybe I read that wrong, but if not, it would be better to wait to apply in the 2020 cycle.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed where someone basically already said this.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll need to do some self teaching to prepare. I know the MCAT isn't something to take lightly. Two chances, and you're done, but I'm going to treat like I only have one.

I don’t believe you’re limited to two chances. That said, I think self-teaching not only most of o chem, but bio chem as well (I’m assuming?) is kind of a heavy load just to complete an MCAT in time for this upcoming cycle (not to mention that your app wouldn’t even technically be complete until the MCAT is submitted, so you’ll essentially be submitting late which *also* works against you). I’d advise just holding off on applying till the 2019-2020 cycle so you can take a later MCAT and prepare properly. If I have to reapply, I personally plan on skipping a cycle and re-taking the MCAT in January so that I have ample time to improve. And that’s having taken all my prerequisites as well.

I guess the prudent thing to do would be to hold off. I just wish I was younger or discovered my interest in medicine a few years earlier. Every year that passes is lost time practicing and I'd like to have a family somewhere along the way. I always wanted to feel "established" by 30. If I'm even able to get into a Texas school (I doubt I'll apply to any out of state schools; the debt incurred isn't worth becoming a doctor to me), I'll be just starting my journey at 30.

I really think I'm in it for the right reasons, but I've lurked here long enough to understand just how big of a sacrifice it is to make. It's a little overwhelming to be honest. And then you come across people here that dream of going, but just can't make the cut. There are plenty of people here that want it more than I do. It sounds cliche, but taking it one step at a time is the only way I can push forward without feeling snowed under.

I should probably create a blog or buy a diary. Nobody signed up to hear my moments of self reflection haha.

A fellow non-trad here. This is how I've felt throughout the app process... I also had a lot of anxiety about feeling "established" (compared to the friends I graduated college with, I am behind), potentially delaying having a family, lost wages while pre-med/in school and the associated financial woes, etc. I was a reapplicant this year, got multiple interviews, and was finally accepted. All the anxiety I've felt - and sometimes still feel - pales in comparison to my excitement now. We have to keep faith that it will all be worth it in the end. Taking it one step at a time is the way to do it. The time will pass anyway, so why not keep at your dream? Before you know it, you'll be there.

I guess the prudent thing to do would be to hold off. I just wish I was younger or discovered my interest in medicine a few years earlier. Every year that passes is lost time practicing and I'd like to have a family somewhere along the way. I always wanted to feel "established" by 30. If I'm even able to get into a Texas school (I doubt I'll apply to any out of state schools; the debt incurred isn't worth becoming a doctor to me), I'll be just starting my journey at 30.

I really think I'm in it for the right reasons, but I've lurked here long enough to understand just how big of a sacrifice it is to make. It's a little overwhelming to be honest. And then you come across people here that dream of going, but just can't make the cut. There are plenty of people here that want it more than I do. It sounds cliche, but taking it one step at a time is the only way I can push forward without feeling snowed under.

I should probably create a blog or buy a diary. Nobody signed up to hear my moments of self reflection haha.

If you're interested, check out the TMDSAS non-traditional group on FB. You're not alone.
I'll matriculate in a few months at 32. Just stay the course. The time will pass anyway.

Fellow non-traditional here as well. I know you have already gotten a lot of advice but I had a very similar experience. Last cycle I decided to try and rush my application in to submit for the 2016-2017 application cycle. My thinking was the same as yours (i.e. I'm already 30 only so many years left to practice, etc.) So I decided to rush taking the MCAT in June 2016 and self study (I had not taken OCHEM 2, Bio Chem, or either physics) to be able to get my app in. What resulted was that I did ok on my MCAT but definitely could have done better having the actual classes underway belt. The schools also received my app in August waiting on test scores, and class grades to come in from the summer. Long story short - no interview invites. This year I as able to take my time focus on strengthening my application as opposed to just getting it complete, talked to advisors and medical school admissions staffs, and utilize other resources and get my application in early and complete. Even though I will now be starting Medical School this year at 32 I feel like I am more prepared to be successful than if I would have started a year prior. I get that at this point it feels like every year is critical but with that same thought in mind since these years are critical use the time to focus on what is going to help you be most successful. The only thing I'd really advise is reaching out to some of the med school admissions staffs, or your undergraduate/graduate professional school advising offices and have a sit down with them to help you decide what is best for you at this time.

Rambling over, I'll go back to shutting-up now!

Reactions: 2 users
If you're interested, check out the TMDSAS non-traditional group on FB. You're not alone.
I'll matriculate in a few months at 32. Just stay the course. The time will pass anyway.

Looks like a great resource. I sent my request to join the group.

I'm matriculating in 2018 at the age of 37 after an unsuccessful cycle last year. The stress and money spent rushing just isn't worth it, and I know this from experience. :) I'd put money on it that you (and anyone, really) would be much happier doing it right the first time without having to re-apply, even if it means one more year. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone provide insight on what a reapplicant workshop is generally like? Do schools give a presentation on general things to improve or do they take the time to review specifics with each candidate?

I'm matriculating in 2018 at the age of 37 after an unsuccessful cycle last year. The stress and money spent rushing just isn't worth it, and I know this from experience. :) I'd put money on it that you (and anyone, really) would be much happier doing it right the first time without having to re-apply, even if it means one more year. Good luck!

To UNT, no? I very well may be meeting you in the fall!

Assuming neither of us pop off a waitlist elsewhere, of course :p

To UNT, no? I very well may be meeting you in the fall!

Assuming neither of us pop off a waitlist elsewhere, of course :p

Yup! I miss your cat avatar, by the way!

Question:
I had more than one prematch offer prior to match, and thought that after match I'd get automatically removed from the list of schools below my top match. Today, however, I got an email from one such school about transcripts.
Do I need to send them an email declining the acceptance?

All schools outside of the school you matched to should fall off

Question:
I had more than one prematch offer prior to match, and thought that after match I'd get automatically removed from the list of schools below my top match. Today, however, I got an email from one such school about transcripts.
Do I need to send them an email declining the acceptance?

I got the same email. And matched at another Texas school. Was wondering the same thing. Perhaps it was a mass email sent to everyone who prematched at that school.

All schools outside of the school you matched to should fall off

Just one clarification. Only schools below the school you matched should disappear. Ones above your match will remain available and you will be placed on their waitlists unless you are rejected outright.

Ex of Rank:
1) TT Lubbock
2) UTMB (matched)
3) UTRGV (pre-matched)

On February 1, you matched to UTMB. Therefore, UTRGV disappears even though you prematched because you matched UTMB, a higher ranked school. Now you will be placed on the waitlist at TT-Lubbock unless you received an outright rejection email from Lubbock. Barring that, you will be attending UTMB unless you come off the waitlist at Lubbock later in the cycle.

GPA of average matriculant seems to have not changed at all compared to last year. Average MCAT seems to have gone up because less people used <2015 MCAT scores.

GPA of average matriculant seems to have not changed at all compared to last year. Average MCAT seems to have gone up because less people used <2015 MCAT scores.
You are right, not much change in the GPA from last year. It is still remarkable that 81% have a GPA of 3.6 or better, and 88% have a GPA of 3.51 or better. The other thing I noticed is that although the stated upper limit of OOS students in TMDSAS schools is 10%, there have only been 7% OOS matriculants for the last 2 years.

It's crazy how only 918/2022 with a 3.76-4.00 GPA were accepted. What do people that get rejected with such high stats do?

It's possible that while some applicants in the 1104 (2022-918 = 1104) were rejected outright from TMDSAS schools based on factors other than high GPAs, others might have been accepted to AMCAS schools and TMDSAS didn't take those into account in its statistics...

It's crazy how only 918/2022 with a 3.76-4.00 GPA were accepted. What do people that get rejected with such high stats do?
My guess is they were mostly OOS applicants. Some were no doubt accepted at Baylor, which is not a TMDSAS school. And a few more were those superstar Texans who succeeded in gaining admission to OOS AMCAS schools.

Is the new TCU/UNT med school still set to open for this next cycle?

Is the new TCU/UNT med school still set to open for this next cycle?
The New Fort Worth school is still in "candidate" status. This is one step up from "applicant" status, and requires one more committee visit and evaluation before a decision is made to advance to preliminary accreditation. As a candidate school they are not yet allowed to solicit applications. If the committee visit and a positive decision happens this spring, they might be able to accept applications for the 2019 entering class. They plan to start with 60 students. Read all about the process here http://lcme.org/about/accreditation-process-overview/

The New Fort Worth school is still in "candidate" status. This is one step up from "applicant" status, and requires one more committee visit and evaluation before a decision is made to advance to preliminary accreditation. As a candidate school they are not yet allowed to solicit applications. If the committee visit and a positive decision happens this spring, they might be able to accept applications for the 2019 entering class. They plan to start with 60 students. Read all about the process here

My question is what are the tuition rates going to be like? Will TCU charge a premium since it is a private university, even though it will be in a partnership with UNT?

UNTHSC just needed more money, that’s the real reason they’re opening the TCU school ;)

When I was at TCOM during my interview, I specifically asked the student ambassadors and the admissions member giving us the hospital tour whether they were concerned at all about the new school cannibalizing rotations/residencies from their DO graduates. Just something to think about...

When I was at TCOM during my interview, I specifically asked the student ambassadors and the admissions member giving us the hospital tour whether they were concerned at all about the new school cannibalizing rotations/residencies from their DO graduates. Just something to think about...

I think it would be a larger issue with classes that enter the same year as the MD class. Classes this year (and possibly next year) won’t be competing with the MD class for the same M3/4 rotations and it likely won’t be an issue.

I do have a concern that it may become problematic in the future. JPS is a big hospital, but it’s not huge. Cooks is the same story. It’s weird to think that TCOM will no longer have a monopoly on Fort Worth clinicals.

I can’t help but think that’s going to make them the last choice for most applicants - that tuition is way too high compared to other instate schools. Will they be on TMDSAS or AMCAS? I wonder if after accreditation they will lobby to the Texas legislature like Debakey did on behalf of Baylor College of Medicine to get subsidized tuition. That’s why BCM can actively compete with UTSW for top Texas applicants

I can’t help but think that’s going to make them the last choice for most applicants - that tuition is way too high compared to other instate schools. Will they be on TMDSAS or AMCAS? I wonder if after accreditation they will lobby to the Texas legislature like Debakey did on behalf of Baylor College of Medicine to get subsidized tuition. That’s why BCM can actively compete with UTSW for top Texas applicants

They will be AMCAS just like BCM.

People are going to flock to the name recognition, regardless. Many Texans will scoff at the price-tag, but there are enough people, both IS and OOS, with enough money to fill the class who really like the TCU brand. I know pre-nursing students who are "TCU or bust" and are willing to incur the debt just for the name. Plenty of Texas applicants apply through AMCAS to OOS schools with similar tuition rates (I did). TCU med will likely have great scholarships available, it's a desirable location, you mentioned the potential for petitioning for subsidized tuition in the future - they will find a way to compete.

Texas Roundup time!
I'm going to start my Texas Roundup threads now for this application season. I watch all the Texas school threads daily and will make note of WL movement (offers of admission to students who have been on a WL). I have no inside information and anyone on SDN could come up with the same info by checking carefully on posts. I will not name names on here, I will just say things like "WL offer from school Diamond, giving up a spot at school Ruby". We should then expect to see someone else say they got in off the WL at school Ruby, eventually. Of course I can only see what folks share, so share your news, cowboys!

When a person decides to accept a WL offer, if that person already had a spot elsewhere, their "old" spot now needs to go to someone else. This will start a domino effect, unless the lucky person who gets that freshly available spot did not have any previous acceptances.

Cowboys, don't forget to think carefully, and if you are switching, accept the new WL offer FIRST, and THEN notify your former school kindly of your regrets.

Texas Roundup March 10
3/7 2 offers from WL by McGovern, one student will be relinquishing a spot at Long SOM and the other a spot at Wayne State
3/9 1 offer from WL by Long SOM, student will relinquish a spot at TTech Lubbock

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Texas Roundup time!
I'm going to start my Texas Roundup threads now for this application season. I watch all the Texas school threads daily and will make note of WL movement (offers of admission to students who have been on a WL). I have no inside information and anyone on SDN could come up with the same info by checking carefully on posts. I will not name names on here, I will just say things like "WL offer from school Diamond, giving up a spot at school Ruby". We should then expect to see someone else say they got in off the WL at school Ruby, eventually. Of course I can only see what folks share, so share your news, cowboys!

When a person decides to accept a WL offer, if that person already had a spot elsewhere, their "old" spot now needs to go to someone else. This will start a domino effect, unless the lucky person who gets that freshly available spot did not have any previous acceptances.

Cowboys, don't forget to think carefully, and if you are switching, accept the new WL offer FIRST, and THEN notify your former school kindly of your regrets.

Texas Roundup March 10
3/7 2 offers from WL by McGovern, one student will be relinquishing a spot at Long SOM and the other a spot at Wayne State
3/9 1 offer from WL by Long SOM, student will relinquish a spot at TTech Lubbock

Thank you @wysdoc, I’ve seen you do this in previous years and think it’s wildly helpful!

Texas Roundup 3/20
It's a drought here, y'all. Yep, waiting is hard.
3/19 an offer from WL by UTRGV
3/20 a former lurker announced that they had been accepted to Baylor on 3/7, in-state. Don't know if this person will switch from their TX match to Baylor, we shall see!
Now, back to your regularly scheduled studying. Cook yourself some dinner. Chin up.
drop.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.