The Republic of Texas XXXVI: You may all go to hell, and I will go to a Texas medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I enjoyed these Republic of Texas threads when I was an applicant in 2008 and glad to see the tradition continues. I was wondering if the new DO school in SA with Incarnate Word took applications this year. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know what time tomorrow emails could should go out? (is it worth staying up until midnight? LOL)

I’m general, my understanding is it’s best to check the TMDSAS portal at 8AM! Results will be listed there.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. I enjoyed these Republic of Texas threads when I was an applicant in 2008 and glad to see the tradition continues. I was wondering if the new DO school in SA with Incarnate Word took applications this year. Good luck everyone.

Yes they did, though they aren’t part of TMDSAS! Their inaugural class began Fall of 2017.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m general, my understanding is it’s best to check the TMDSAS portal at 8AM! Results will be listed there.

This is correct (I'm a reapplicant). Know that everyone is trying to log-in at that time and it took about 10 minutes for me last year to finally get through. Good luck everyone!

I didn't realize they already started their first class. I just went to their website and their tuition is $55,000 per year! I cannot imagine who would choose a brand new DO school on the south side of SA that is very expensive.

I've been somewhat following (with trepidation) the explosion of new medical schools opening.

I didn't realize they already started their first class. I just went to their website and their tuition is $55,000 per year! I cannot imagine who would choose a brand new DO school on the south side of SA that is very expensive.

I've been somewhat following (with trepidation) the explosion of new medical schools opening.

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm fairly positive they gave scholarships to the inaugural class. As far as location, though, UIW isn't really on the south side. It's in the Alamo Heights area - which is one of the wealthiest/most rapidly developing areas in SA. If anything, the cost of living could be a bit of a turnoff, as it is a bit higher around there compared to other parts of town.

But yeah, new schools are popping up left and right. TX alone is gonna see an overall jump from 8 schools in 2015 to 12 schools in 2019 (Dell, RGV, UIW, UNT/TCU).

As far as location, though, UIW isn't really on the south side. It's in the Alamo Heights area - which is one of the wealthiest/most rapidly developing areas in SA. If anything, the cost of living could be a bit of a turnoff, as it is a bit higher around there compared to other parts of town.
The UIW undergrad and pharmacy campuses are in Alamo Heights but the medical school is on the far south side.

The UIW undergrad and pharmacy campuses are in Alamo Heights but the medical school is on the far south side.

Oh damn, that's news to me. My mistake!

Scanning an empty horizon right now, cowboys. Expecting a stampede of news through these parts tomorrow, though. Good luck to everyone!
dea81cfc1c22ca2f2ab249537516bac3.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Good luck everyone! *anxiety intensifies*

Reactions: 4 users
I’ve had no appetite today. My stomach has this churning feeling all day. Yikes!

Reactions: 3 users
Goodluck to everyone tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a trick: plan a wedding the whole time you're applying for medical school. It makes the days/weeks/months fly by

Reactions: 2 users
AMUtxHf.png

When the clock hits 7:59 AM

Reactions: 12 users
I work at 8AM tomorrow so I honestly don’t know when I’ll be able to check!

Best wishes everybody! :)

I just hope the website doesn't crash tomorrow morning.

Waiting on the match is almost as bad as waiting on the army to release me from Active duty....so much in the air

I have separation orders and approved terminal leave, but I’m still in constant fear that somehow I won’t be able to get out in time to start school. I definitely feel your pain. Good luck.

IM NOT NERVOUS, YOU’RE NERVOUS

Totally in shock. Matched at Dell just now. Whoa.

Reactions: 9 users
Matched at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L Foster School of Medicine at El Paso :highfive:
Top choice!!! so pumped!!!:soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Officially going to San Antonio! I pre-matched and it was my #1 (for various reasons), but I couldn't shake that maybe I did something wrong to mess it up :laugh: Good luck and congrats to you all who match today! And if you don't remember that there is still plenty of time for waitlist action! You got this!

Reactions: 7 users
McGovern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
I'm gonna cry, I matched. I love you beautiful Texans.

I really hope everyone who posts regularly checks in today with their news (as well as those who don't post regularly - the more the merrier!) I know it might be hard for those who didn't get the result they were seeking today, and if that's the case, it ain't over yet! Even if we've never talked directly, I've been paying attention to posts in all the Texas school threads as well as here. Where are you @biochemgirl22 ? ;)

I matched TCOM today (pre-match). :)

Reactions: 5 users
Hate to bring anything but good news to this thread, but no match for me. Interviewed at 3 schools - the wait continues I suppose.

Congratulations to everyone that matched today!!!

Hate to bring anything but good news to this thread, but no match for me. Interviewed at 3 schools - the wait continues I suppose.

Congratulations to everyone that matched today!!!

I can assure you that there WILL be waitlist movement over the next four months! Keep your head up - I'm cheering for you! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Officially going to San Antonio! I pre-matched and it was my #1 (for various reasons), but I couldn't shake that maybe I did something wrong to mess it up :laugh: Good luck and congrats to you all who match today! And if you don't remember that there is still plenty of time for waitlist action! You got this!

Lol I had the same thoughts. Still going to UTSW. Life is all good

I am OOS, but was accepted at and will attend a Texas school. So I feel very attached to you all matching.
(I’ve been waiting forever to find out I have classmates )

Seriously though, congratulations to everyone, I am so happy for you all!
To anyone waitlisted, keep your heads up. As posted above, there is still 4 months for that thing to gain some movement!

P.S. Will you guys accept me as one of your own and let me into the Texas club now?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

P.S. Will you guys accept me as one of your own and let me into the Texas club now?

Depends. Do you like barbecue, Tex-mex, and/or the Dallas Cowboys? One of the three is a requirement.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends. Do you like barbecue, Tex-mex, and/or the Dallas Cowboys? One of the three is a requirement.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Cowboys are actually my number 2 team! (The Chicago Bears will forever be my #1, no matter how bad they are).

I'm Texan, born and bred, but I almost don't fit your criteria! ;) I love breaking all the Texas stereotypes, though :)

How realistic is it to expect a WL acceptance? Didn’t match this morning and I’m a little unfamiliar with how common it is to come off the WL.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Cowboys are actually my number 2 team! (The Chicago Bears will forever be my #1, no matter how bad they are).

I’ll accept you on a pity vote due to being a Bears fan.

Jk though! Congrats on your acceptance. Welcome to TX!

How realistic is it to expect a WL acceptance? Didn’t match this morning and I’m a little unfamiliar with how common it is to come off the WL.

Very realistic. There is a decent amount of WL movement between now and school starting.

Interviewed at 4 schools early on. No match today. Congratulations to everyone who did match! Here's hoping!

Matched. I’m actually going to become a doctor :soexcited:

Immediately after seeing match: “Yay I’m going to be a doctor!”
About five minutes later: “Oh my god, IM GOING TO BE A F****** DOCTOR”
About thirty minutes later: *crying* (words inaudible)

I posted this not the Dell thread as well so I apologize in advance for the double post.

Matched this morning to Dell. Feeling incredibly blessed and humbled right now.

For those out there still waiting - Keep your heads up. Last year I applied and received 0 interview invites. Fast forward to this year getting a prematch to one school, and then matching to my top choice. You never know what is in store for the future, but if you quit pursuing your dreams than they will definitely never come true.

I don't want to be super cheesy but I also feel compelled to say thank ya'll to everyone who has been posting on this thread and the other threads for Texas Schools. Every single one of you has been a constant source of support, encouragement, and information which I know I have benefitted from. We are definitely stronger supporting each other and seeing people come together like this is an inspiration.

Okay cheese over, lets party!!!!!!!

I really hope everyone who posts regularly checks in today with their news (as well as those who don't post regularly - the more the merrier!) I know it might be hard for those who didn't get the result they were seeking today, and if that's the case, it ain't over yet! Even if we've never talked directly, I've been paying attention to posts in all the Texas school threads as well as here. Where are you @biochemgirl22 ? ;)

I matched TCOM today (pre-match). :)

Big congrats to youuu! :) you've been incredibly supportive and helpful! I matched TT Lubbock today! :) My second choice! I'm very excited and grateful! I prematched there. I was hoping for UTSW but still going to hold out hope. Congrats to everyone who matched today and also to everyone who has not heard anything yet as we have all endured a lot to even be where we are today. There is still LOTS of time and LOTS of waitlist movement that will happen over the next few months. Stay positive! :) We are all going to be doctors one day! I wish you all the best.

I matched to A&M!! I am holding out some hope there will be waitlist movement at UTMB or San Antonio but I am just so happy I will actually be a doctor!

Is there any way to find out about your position on the waitlist?

I matched to A&M!! I am holding out some hope there will be waitlist movement at UTMB or San Antonio but I am just so happy I will actually be a doctor!

+1! My top choice, so I'm stoked.

Congratulations to everyone who matched!! To those who didn't, there is still lots of time. It's not over until its over.

Only interviewed at UTSW, no good new this morning :(

Status
Not open for further replies.