The "threads" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinki

Sassy Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Super trivial and inconsequential, but for the ladies, how dressy is the night before your interview resident meet-n-greet? My inclination is a nice pair of tailored jeans, a nice sweater and low-heeled boots. But I'm out west where tube tops and flip flops are de rigueur and am unsure what the southern and east coast programs might call proper (uh, I'm deft enough to know tube tops aren't proper at any function ... thank you Stacy and Clinton!) ... First impressions count, people!

Members don't see this ad.

Ha ha! Nicely done. You are a woman after my own heart. Anyone who knows Stacy and Clinton is a friend of mine. :)

Anyway, as someone who also obsesses about this kind of thing, these are my thoughts: I think it's always better to be slightly overdressed and chic rather than underdressed. I also, however, hate looking like I "tried too hard". My personal happy medium: skirts. They are awesome, flattering, can be made casual or dressy with accessories and shoes (ballet flats vs heels) and also show a lot of character. The skirts out for fall are so pretty too, feminine and flowy.

I'm from the South and lived in the East for a while, and at least in the cities I've been (Dallas, New York) it seems everyone dresses up for everything. i'd think it's DEFINITELY better to dress up more than less. I personally would not wear jeans. If the get together is at some bar or super casual place, I would consider a pair of trouser-style or darker-wash jeans which (as you mentioned) are tailored, but I'd probably choose capris (if warm) or skinny leg trousers with boots over jeans just in case. Or dress up a casual pair of pants with heels and jewelry. And of course, the coat and shoes carry everything, regardless of what you wear.

Of course, I'm sure you know this but I wouldn't wear anything too risque, cleavage-baring, short, etc. etc....you never know where it might lead. (I'll bet the alcohol flows quite freely at these events, and beer goggles always seem to do more harm than good) Case in point = first episode of Grey's Anatomy :laugh:

I better stop going on and on about this - I promise I'm really not terribly superficial! I just love clothes way too much for my own good, and am a tad bored at the moment, is all. :D

Maybe you can tell me how to dress out West, since I've never been there before and am hoping :thumbup: to have interviews out there soon...

The East Coast, especially in the larger cities, is much more tailored and dressy than California and you would not do wrong to follow this when interviewing there.

I agree with the poster above, I would not wear jeans. That said, I would not wear a suit either, although people do. Tis better to be overdressed than to be too casual. To me, jeans just reflect too casual of an attitude when you are essentially being interviewed (despite it being presented as a social event). A twin set, or blouse and soft blazer (depending on weather) along with a skirt (if you're comfortable) or some nice trousers would be fine.

Again, as noted above anything Stacey and Clinton would approve of...(the jeans obviously would have to be a dark wash, straight leg with a heel! ;) ) but treat this event as more like an interview than a casual night out with friends (which is what the jeans and boots sound like).

The rest of the usual advice goes (no flip flops, sweats, midriff baring or ass crack baring clothes, multiple piercings, etc.)

Agree with all above. I wore black pants, some sort of sweater (all my interviews were in cold places - could replace with a blouse for warmer weather), and the same heels that I brought to wear with my suit the next day. A few of mine were at upscale bars and some people did wear jeans, but I just preferred to be safe rather than sorry - imagine how self conscious you would be if you ended up being the only one in jeans. I think it's hard to go wrong with black pants and a sweater.

Reminds me of the "Leave it to Beaver" episode I saw this morning: The Beav was getting an award at a sports banquet and insisted on wearing his everyday school clothes (which we know were a lot more dressy back then than they are now) when his parents and brother tried to get him to wear a suit.

Boy was he embarassed when all the other athletes were wearing suits and he had on a sweater and casual pants! Don't be The Beav!:smuggrin:

I am just going to throw in yet another vote against jeans, for all the above stated reasons. (I actually remember than two places specifically said NO JEANS on the invite) You don't want to be the most underdressed OR overdressed person there, but you do have to look polished and put together, even if the event is "casual."

Since I was wearing a black suit, I had my two standard "night before" outfits, tweed and winter white "casual cut" dress pants with a rotation of sweaters and knit tops, depending on the weather.

I found a good guide for ladies (even of you don't like the clothes, but in terms of "dressiness") is to go to
www.anntaylor.com >> Outfits >> Relaxed Work
www.bananarepublic >> women >> Boutique >> Work

And FWIW, this is NOT a trivial topic! What to wear was one of my biggest stresses when I interviewed!

OK...who in the world are Stacy and Clinton?

Edit: oh wait...are they from TLC's What Not To Wear?

At the risk of sounding too metro...Is Clinton new? Wasn't that guy Lukas on before?

what are guys supposed to wear to the night before the interview dinner/outing?

OK...who in the world are Stacy and Clinton?

Edit: oh wait...are they from TLC's What Not To Wear?

At the risk of sounding too metro...Is Clinton new? Wasn't that guy Lukas on before?

Hmmmm...I've been watching that show for years and don't recall a Lukas - it's always been Clinton since I've been watching.

what are guys supposed to wear to the night before the interview dinner/outing?

Most of the guys I saw had on khakis or dress pants with a shirt and tie or nice sweater. Some of the more casual events (i.e. at a bar) saw a few polo shirts.

so no jeans even at a bar (for guys)?

so no jeans even at a bar (for guys)?

I think you will find yourself dressed more casually than the other applicants. And remember, depending on the city in which you interview and the "hipness" of the bar, you may not be allowed in in jeans and/or sneakers. My ex still has a pair of dress shoes he calls his "club shoes" because he wasn't allowed into a place in Vegas with his Vans on and had to buy these to get in.:laugh:

Anyway, when in doubt talk to the program coordinator or some current residents at the program. IMHO, you can't go wrong wearing some khakis but you might find yourself the only one in jeans (except the current residents, some of whom may even come in scrubs).

i guess it's always better to be a little overdressed than underdressed. thanks for the advice.

but while we're on the topic of appearance... is it better to just be clean shaven for interviews even if you normally have facial hair? i normally have facial hair and use a trimmer (no huge beard or anything).

i guess it's always better to be a little overdressed than underdressed. thanks for the advice.

but while we're on the topic of appearance... is it better to just be clean shaven for interviews even if you normally have facial hair? i normally have facial hair and use a trimmer (no huge beard or anything).

I think it depends on the field and its inherent casualness. "Back in the day" apparently the former Chair at my residency program did haircut and beard checks. No residents were allowed to have hair that touched their collar nor were they allowed to have facial hair. Things are much more lenient now, but surgery is still fairly conservative although there are some cowboy fields (most notably trauma) where longer hair and tats are ok.

I think you'll find a lot of applicants cut their long hair, shave off the beard, etc. while interviewing but I'm not sure there's a lot of sense in doing this although I can understand the paranoia about fitting in. Others can certainly weigh in but I think a nearly trimmed beard is probably fine in most specialties at most places. I would do what YOU are comfortable with (except wearing jeans! ;) and not worry about it too much.