Timing to tell your work place..

Started by yann
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yann

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To all the non-trads out there who have been working full-time (or part-time on a regular basis), and got accepted to vet school this year....have you told the people at work, including your boss?

I'm v hesitant about telling my boss, the LVT manager, because I have been told from more than 1 person at work that she has pushed people to quit after being told they got accepted to vet school. One specific example: Girl worked a year before I came in got accepted to her top choice IS school. While most of her colleagues were very happy and excited for her, after she informed my boss, she began to create a hostile working environment for her...picking on tiny irrelevant mistakes and blowing it out of proportion, humiliating her in front of her colleagues...basically giving her hell. Girl quit way before she meant to, and she hasn't contacted or visited the hospital since. I've been told of this from a colleague who is in really good terms with my boss, so the authenticity, to me, is pretty valid. Not to mention this was also the same person who pushed a good friend of mine at work to quit, mainly because they never saw eye to eye.

I had to run my pet's rabies titer test the other day, and since she was the only one who knew how to give employee discount I could not avoid the topic. I basically vaguley mentioned that I may got to vet school this year, and she completely overreacted...her first response: "When were you planning on telling me this??"....she changed the tone of her voice right after because I think she noticed how she sounded, but she still made me feel nervous and uncomfortable.

Everyone at work that I trust (more or less) and know about my acceptances, including the doctors, told me that it's best not to tell her, and it is my information and I have every right to keep it to myself until I give her my 30 days notice. I agree, but at the same time I don't want to leave on bad terms since it would be nice to visit them or possibly even do an externship there in the future.

Anyone going through similar situation, or been through something like this in the past? Apologies for the dawdling post.
 
I haven't been in your shoes and don't really any advice... but just wanted to say I'm sorry for the unfortunate situation and that's a big bummer. 🙁 Congratulations on your acceptance, though!
 
To all the non-trads out there who have been working full-time (or part-time on a regular basis), and got accepted to vet school this year....have you told the people at work, including your boss?

I'm v hesitant about telling my boss, the LVT manager, because I have been told from more than 1 person at work that she has pushed people to quit after being told they got accepted to vet school. One specific example: Girl worked a year before I came in got accepted to her top choice IS school. While most of her colleagues were very happy and excited for her, after she informed my boss, she began to create a hostile working environment for her...picking on tiny irrelevant mistakes and blowing it out of proportion, humiliating her in front of her colleagues...basically giving her hell. Girl quit way before she meant to, and she hasn't contacted or visited the hospital since. I've been told of this from a colleague who is in really good terms with my boss, so the authenticity, to me, is pretty valid. Not to mention this was also the same person who pushed a good friend of mine at work to quit, mainly because they never saw eye to eye.

I had to run my pet's rabies titer test the other day, and since she was the only one who knew how to give employee discount I could not avoid the topic. I basically vaguley mentioned that I may got to vet school this year, and she completely overreacted...her first response: "When were you planning on telling me this??"....she changed the tone of her voice right after because I think she noticed how she sounded, but she still made me feel nervous and uncomfortable.

Everyone at work that I trust (more or less) and know about my acceptances, including the doctors, told me that it's best not to tell her, and it is my information and I have every right to keep it to myself until I give her my 30 days notice. I agree, but at the same time I don't want to leave on bad terms since it would be nice to visit them or possibly even do an externship there in the future.

Anyone going through similar situation, or been through something like this in the past? Apologies for the dawdling post.


I'm going through something similar. I work as a contract (6 months at a time) for a pharmaceutical company, and my contract is set to be renewed April 11th. I am going to try to not tell anyone until at least after that date. I don't want my contract to not be renewed and be out a job until vet school. Even then, I am pretty sure I will only give a month or two's notice, so that they don't cut me short and dry. Each situation is different, in the end, for me, the company I work for is great, but ultimately, they are gonna do what's best for them... so I'm gonna do what's best for me! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It sucks you have a boss like that. A good luck would have been much more appropriate from your boss than a "when were you gonna tell me"?!

Anyways at least you can always relish in the idea that YOUR GOING TO VET SCHOOL in August! Woohoo!
 
To all the non-trads out there who have been working full-time (or part-time on a regular basis), and got accepted to vet school this year....have you told the people at work, including your boss?

If you're concerned about possible consequences, I don't think anyone could fault you for giving two week's notice. 30 days would be generous.

I let my boss know months and months in advance, but only because we had quite a bit of work to do for a smooth exit (transitioning projects, getting me laid off instead of quitting, etc.). I actually ended up full-time employed through Nov 4, which made my vet school start a bit tricky. Free piece of advice to everyone: Don't make that particular mistake (trying to balance vet school with a full time job).

But don't feel bad giving them 2 weeks.
 
Last edited:
I had a similar experience so I am going to throw in my 2 cents. It sounds like this person is just jealous. It sounds like she or he can't stand that all the people she thinks ought to be subordinate to her are becoming her "superiors." So, having dealt with this type of person and given her behavior I say don't tell her until the 30 days. If you don't tell her you won't have to worry about outbursts from her because she won't know. At the 30 day mark when you tell her she probably will be less hostile since she will already know you are leaving. I don't think this will impact your future with the clinic. If you go back for an externship you won't be working for her, you'll be a doctor (so make sure to leave on good terms with Drs. and admin). Not to mention, if you don't have to put up with her and she doesn't feel as hostile since you are already leaving, you might leave on pretty good terms with her which would make visiting easier....
 
If you're concerned about possible consequences, I don't think anyone could fault you for giving two week's notice. 30 days would be generous.

I let my boss know months and months in advance, but only because we had quite a bit of work to do for a smooth exit (transitioning projects, getting me laid off instead of quitting, etc.). I actually ended up full-time employed through Nov 4, which made my vet school start a bit tricky.

But don't feel bad giving them 2 weeks.

I agree! Two weeks is considered a respectable amount of time.
 
My boss knows, but in your situation, I'd go with 2 weeks notice! I actually got hired back on to help out temporarily at my former place of employment (before I got the job at the vet clinic) and my boss is just happy I'm back and wants me to stay as long as possible but is very understanding that my job is not my dream job and has worked with me every step of the way from scheduling my work hours around classes to hiring me back temporarily until I go off to vet school. The emergency clinic where I worked treated me like how your boss is treating you, but then when I said I was quitting they changed their tune and wanted me to stay 😕, so I have stayed on working some Weekends.

If you're worried, I vote give 2 weeks notice only, that's standard notice and should suffice.
 
Thought I'd throw in my two cents. Depending on what type of job you have, you may want to give 30 days notice. It sounds like you're working as a tech/asst. in a vet hospital though, so I would think two weeks would suffice. If you had some type of job that would require you to transition someone else into your position over a longer period of time, I'd say 30 days.

Either way, congrats on the acceptance!
 
Thought I'd throw in my two cents. Depending on what type of job you have, you may want to give 30 days notice. It sounds like you're working as a tech/asst. in a vet hospital though, so I would think two weeks would suffice. If you had some type of job that would require you to transition someone else into your position over a longer period of time, I'd say 30 days.

Either way, congrats on the acceptance!

While I know most places two weeks is the standard, you might want to get in touch with your HR person (if you are at a workplace that has one). I know that for my current place of work (as I am trying to decide when to quit as well!), while two weeks is perfectly acceptable, in order to maintain good standing with HR you must put in 30 days. So if this is a place you would consider going back to for employment, see what the company considers "good standing" and maybe give at least that.

Rant: I literally wish I could quit tomorrow! My job feels like it's sucking the life out of me and I'm constantly treated like a machine that can do 80 things at once. That whole "need make money thing" is the only thing keeping me there. I can't wait to leave for school!!! 🙂 sorry I just need to get that it (frustrated hair pull)
 
Three out of four of my LORs came from vets I currently work with, so they'd probably be the first to know after my family and close friends. 🙂

But in your situation, yeah, I'd keep it hush-hush until you are contractually obliged to give notice. If there's no such contract, two weeks is plenty in a situation you know will become hostile (or if you run the risk of being "let go") after breaking the news.
 
That's a sticky situation. I have a little bit of a different perspective to offer. If you wait to tell her until you give your 30 day/2 week notice, don't you think she'll be hostile that you hadn't told her earlier? Not in a professional way as I do think that's plenty of time for notice, but in a coworker camaraderie kind of way. And it may become clear to her that everyone else in the office knew of your great news (congrats, by the way!). If that happens, do you think an externship would be any less awkward or hostile in the future? I realize she won't be happy to hear your news whenever she hears it and I do see the benefit of keeping it to yourself in order to maintain a tolerable work environment. I just think that not telling her until you give your notice may create a potentially unpleasant environment for an externship if you choose to do that in the future.

Good luck! :luck:
 
To all the non-trads out there who have been working full-time (or part-time on a regular basis), and got accepted to vet school this year....have you told the people at work, including your boss?

I'm v hesitant about telling my boss, the LVT manager, because I have been told from more than 1 person at work that she has pushed people to quit after being told they got accepted to vet school. One specific example: Girl worked a year before I came in got accepted to her top choice IS school. While most of her colleagues were very happy and excited for her, after she informed my boss, she began to create a hostile working environment for her...picking on tiny irrelevant mistakes and blowing it out of proportion, humiliating her in front of her colleagues...basically giving her hell. Girl quit way before she meant to, and she hasn't contacted or visited the hospital since. I've been told of this from a colleague who is in really good terms with my boss, so the authenticity, to me, is pretty valid. Not to mention this was also the same person who pushed a good friend of mine at work to quit, mainly because they never saw eye to eye.

I had to run my pet's rabies titer test the other day, and since she was the only one who knew how to give employee discount I could not avoid the topic. I basically vaguley mentioned that I may got to vet school this year, and she completely overreacted...her first response: "When were you planning on telling me this??"....she changed the tone of her voice right after because I think she noticed how she sounded, but she still made me feel nervous and uncomfortable.

Everyone at work that I trust (more or less) and know about my acceptances, including the doctors, told me that it's best not to tell her, and it is my information and I have every right to keep it to myself until I give her my 30 days notice. I agree, but at the same time I don't want to leave on bad terms since it would be nice to visit them or possibly even do an externship there in the future.

Anyone going through similar situation, or been through something like this in the past? Apologies for the dawdling post.

I work full time. and only a few people know that I applied for and have intentions of leaving if accepted. I think it would totally depend on your boss, and obviously, yours is not very understanding of the situation...as much as we ALL like to keep things smooth and simple, sometimes it just does not work out that way. I think a lot of times bosses think (and sometimes they have a right) that when people KNOW they are leaving performance goes down. But nine times out of ten I can bet that someone with a strong enough work ethic to apply and be admitted into verterinary school has higher standards and would not do that. Your boss should know that. As great as it would be to tell her NOW and give her plenty of time to find someone for the spot, since you know her attitude...two weeks notice is fine in my eyes. You could even go all out and explain WHY you were hesitant to tell her if you really dont mind burning that bridge! Good luck!
 
For me it comes down to what is in my best interest. We are taught early on and good students to be honest. Tell the truth and I think many of us are pretty open to sharing our happy news.

But WAIT… don't spill the beans. That's my advice and here is why.

It doesn't matter if you give 30 days, 2 weeks or six months notice this person is never going to be happy for you because she lacks basic skills. Also sounds like she wanted to be a Vet but hasn't busted her butt to make it happen.

There are a lot of hatters in this world and many of them love to create hostile work environments which by the way is super hard to prove in court so it's really not worth the hassle. Keep in touch with the Doctors after you leave and the door will stay open. She may have power over you now but soon you'll be in a whole other "club" and that will shift that dynamic. Plus think of all the opportunities you are going to have through school you may never need to return to the place for an externship.

Bottom-line don't give her the opportunity, and CONGRADUALATIONS!!!
 
I'm going through something similar. I work as a contract (6 months at a time) for a pharmaceutical company, and my contract is set to be renewed April 11th. I am going to try to not tell anyone until at least after that date. I don't want my contract to not be renewed and be out a job until vet school. Even then, I am pretty sure I will only give a month or two's notice, so that they don't cut me short and dry. Each situation is different, in the end, for me, the company I work for is great, but ultimately, they are gonna do what's best for them... so I'm gonna do what's best for me! 😀

Wait... so you are going to hold off on telling your employer so they renew your contract, with full intent to leave before your six months is up on October 11? Something about that doesn't sound right to me. Are you allowed to break your contract without consequences?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait... so you are going to hold off on telling your employer so they renew your contract, with full intent to leave before your six months is up on October 11? Something about that doesn't sound right to me. Are you allowed to break your contract without consequences?

It's a very loose contract that basically means they have enough work for me for another six months. It's nothing that I personally sign into. In fact, we are not even asked to give notice when we leave. My employer knows I have applied to veterinary school and am waiting to hear, and they have already told me I will be fine to leave in July, but I have to look out for myself first and at least make sure I have a job until then. Another girl just left a week ago and its not a big deal, they know we are looking for other permanent jobs and may leave at any time. So "contract" here might be different than most places. We are "temps" that get "hired back on" six months at a time basically. I am planning on giving them at least two months notice so someone can be trained for my position (it takes a lot of training), but not until after April.
 
I'm in a similar awkward position. My current job, the clinic I have been at for 6 years, has recently had some management changes and working there has become nearly unbearable, so I am looking for a new job. I don't want to lie to potential employers, but saying I am only going to be here until August doesn't look good.
 
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice! I really appreciate it. Sometimes I just need an outsider perspective because people at work can lose common sense of the rest of the world as opposed to common sense at work (and I mean social common sense, not medical).

I think I'm going to stick to what everyone has advised me here and to not tell her until May. She already picks on me for "leaving soon anyways", even thought I haven't told her I got accepted anywhere, so I don't think I'll be doing myself much good by being honest anyways.

Thanks again!