Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if this has been mentioned but I have been going to planet fitness for some time now and last week I saw that the Touro sign was coming off. Even when I went today I didn't see any sign of a replacement. Does any one know what is going on?

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I have been going to planet fitness for some time now and last week I saw that the Touro sign was coming off. Even when I went today I didn't see any sign of a replacement. Does any one know what is going on?
Let's hope they're putting up a newer, cooler looking sign..

Members don't see this ad :)

Nothing gets done quickly in the city. Did they even have scaffolding up? Anyways, it'll end up taking a while, but hopefully it'll be up soon!

Just recieved an interview invite for February 4th!!!

3.06 GPA and 29 mcat

Just recieved an interview invite for February 4th!!!

3.06 GPA and 29 mcat

Congrads! Im still hoping for one, 3.3gpa and 30mcat, did u try to contact them before the invite?

So apparently august 2014 will see the opening of a (slightly) upstate branch of TouroCOM-NY.

http://hudsonvalley.ynn.com/content/top_stories/629187/new-medical-school-coming-to-orange-county/

(Link is different from text below)

Touro to launch med school in Middletown

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine's planned campus in Middletown, N.Y., which will offer a four-year degree program for physicians, is the school's largest-ever expansion. The osteopathic medical school will accommodate about 500 students when it is fully operational.

Rotations for about 135 medical students have been arranged with hospitals in Orange and Sullivan counties. The opening class, set for August 2014, will have about that many students. "That's a big class for a medical school," said Dr. Jay Sexter, chief executive of Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine.

The new school will be an extension of Touro's Harlem campus and will share the same curriculum, with an emphasis on primary care. However, in contrast to Harlem's focus on urban medicine, the Middletown site will home in on rural medicine, with its catchment area of the Hudson Valley and Catskill regions. Students can take advantage of both campuses, said Dr. Sexter. The school also is considering training physical and occupational therapists, nurses and pharmacists.

The total project cost for Touro is about $28 million, including $3.5 million to equip the school, and a $24 million investment to renovate the facility, which Touro will lease from the property's owner, the Danza Leser Group. Touro received $1 million from the state's Regional Council Program, but had requested $1.5 million. The college hopes to attract additional state money but plans to use private funding for the venture.

Dr. Sexter said that the best lecturers in the Touro medical school system will record their lessons for students to view at their own pace. Students will use class time for exams and for discussions. The Touro college and university system, together with New York Medical College, which is sponsored by Touro, enrolls about 5,300 health sciences students annually.

Apply for a spot in Fall of 2015. Since it is a newer school it will be easier to get into?

I don't know if that'll be the case... Touro is well established, there's no risk going to a new school under their banner. On top of that, the first class is the most important as people will be looking at their performance as an indicator for the quality of the school (like a first impression). That may mean they will foremost seek individuals that they know will perform well on the COMLEX, rather than the usual heterogeneous mix of Students (non trads, smp) they probably normally strive for. Just my opinion, I obviously really don't have any idea what will actually happen.

Will Turo take in special circumstances when they chose you admit you? For example if you're a NY resident but can't leave the state because of a family illness, situation, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will Turo take in special circumstances when they chose you admit you? For example if you're a NY resident but can't leave the state because of a family illness, situation, etc?

Well Touro is in New York, soo...

Just because they're in NY doesn't mean that they'll look at special circumstances for why you need to stay in NY.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your question. You live in NY, so you want to stay in NY, correct? Touro is in NY, so I'm not seeing where you leave NY in this situation..

Edit: are you asking if they'll be more likely to admit you because you have to stay in state?

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your question. You live in NY, so you want to stay in NY, correct? Touro is in NY, so I'm not seeing where you leave NY in this situation..

They're asking if Touro gives preference to in state applicants.

I'm not sure anyone here can truly answer that question. Maybe try to do a seach for in state apps : oos apps vs in state enrolled : oos enrolled

They're asking if Touro gives preference to in state applicants.

I'm not sure anyone here can truly answer that question. Maybe try to do a seach for in state apps : oos apps vs in state enrolled : oos enrolled

I have a couple of family friends very well connected with touro. They told me the only non-stat factor they take into account is if you are jewish or not. It has a pretty big influence on the decision.

I have a couple of family friends very well connected with touro. They told me the only non-stat factor they take into account is if you are jewish or not. It has a pretty big influence on the decision.

Just curious, how do they know if you're Jewish beyond if you wrote about it in your statement or have ECs tied to Judaism? Did we self report religion on the AACOMAS? I can't remember...

Patently false.

Edit: are you asking if they'll be more likely to admit you because you have to stay in state?

bingo

Gotchya. I was reading your question totally wrong haha. I would be careful to talk about family illness and whatnot that may restrict you in any way. It may sound to them like you might be too busy to commit to medical school at the time, and you don't want to ever give that impression. Instead, send them a letter of intent after your interview saying that you love the school for other reasons, but don't mention the family illness.

Just got this secondary....contemplating the $200 fee. Think I should fill it out? I know I'm late to the party.

Just got this secondary....contemplating the $200 fee. Think I should fill it out? I know I'm late to the party.

What are your stats? and when did you submit your primary app? I was complete back in November, never heard back...

What are your stats? and when did you submit your primary app? I was complete back in November, never heard back...

3.4cGPA, 3.7sGPA, 28Q. EC's focus on serving in underprivileged communities in a major metropolitan area.

well you definitely seem like a competitive candidate, perhaps call them up and ask them what percent of the class is full?

Does anyone know the e-mail address for the admissions office? I can't find it on their website

How many people have interviewed thus far? I'm still waiting on mine

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Was hoping that someone might be able to help me out. I had read in last year's thread that by the end of January they are most probably just admitting to the waitlist, and that most people that interview will be put on the waitlist (on varying levels of assessment). Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Also, does anyone have some sort of idea how many that are interviewed are accepted?
Thanks!

okay i really need to hear something from this school....i just want an excuse to go to NY!! :(

hi everyone. I am currently a first year at tourocom ny. as you'd imagine, I dont exactly have loads of time to monitor the forums, but if you pm me, ill be happy to help anyway i can. Good luck!

Has anyone been successful in checking their application status? I submitted my secondary and LORs in November and have been trying to contact Mr. Sow via phone and email since then to no avail. Is there someone else I could call to make sure that my application is complete? Thanks in advance.

for those of you who attend or have interviewed here what is the campus like? i just google imaged it and realized that its just a pretty tiny building and wondering what the inside was like.

Has anyone been successful in checking their application status? I submitted my secondary and LORs in November and have been trying to contact Mr. Sow via phone and email since then to no avail. Is there someone else I could call to make sure that my application is complete? Thanks in advance.
Received this today, might be why we haven't heard anything.

Dear Applicants,

It gives me great pleasure to introduce Emil S. Ruiz as Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine- New York's new Director of Admissions. Mr. Ruiz brings an organizational talent and staunch dedication to his new position which will undoubtedly help each and every one of you continue to navigate the application process.
If you have any questions for Mr. Ruiz, please feel free to call TouroCOM's Office of Admissions at (212) 851-1199 ext. 2544 or via e-mail at [email protected].

On behalf of the Deans and Administrative staff here at TouroCOM, we wish you the best of luck throughout the duration of this year's admissions process.

I interview on Monday at 1pm. Anyone else with me?

Also, I am anxious to see what Touro asked in previous interviews. Please share if you remember the content of the interview. The only thing I remember reading from previous posts is to make sure I review the essays I wrote and understand their mission statement.

Also, I am anxious to see what Touro asked in previous interviews. Please share if you remember the content of the interview. The only thing I remember reading from previous posts is to make sure I review the essays I wrote and understand their mission statement.
Relax! It's very low stress and conversational. Make sure you have and answer for why DO and why Harlem. Other than that, it's mostly conversation regarding your application. Use the interview feedback info on this site as well. Best of luck!!

Do you mind telling us when you submitted your secondaries and how long it took for you to hear back?

Received this today, might be why we haven't heard anything.

Dear Applicants,

It gives me great pleasure to introduce Emil S. Ruiz as Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine- New York's new Director of Admissions. Mr. Ruiz brings an organizational talent and staunch dedication to his new position which will undoubtedly help each and every one of you continue to navigate the application process.
If you have any questions for Mr. Ruiz, please feel free to call TouroCOM's Office of Admissions at (212) 851-1199 ext. 2544 or via e-mail at [email protected].

On behalf of the Deans and Administrative staff here at TouroCOM, we wish you the best of luck throughout the duration of this year's admissions process.

Yeah. When I got the email from Touro COM Admissions, I thought I finally got an II. I was crushed. Lol

I got the invite back in October for secondary but I didn't submit secondary until mid December. Got the invite right before Xmas to interview.
I work in New Jersey and I was born and raised in upstate New York. 27 mcat and 3.4. Looks like I Match up roughly with other people that shared their stats.

I got the invite back in October for secondary but I didn't submit secondary until mid December. Got the invite right before Xmas to interview.
I work in New Jersey and I was born and raised in upstate New York. 27 mcat and 3.4. Looks like I Match up roughly with other people that shared their stats.
It's interesting because I applied to this school thinking they didn't show regional preference (I live in SC). But, it kind of seems like they do. I've followed this forum closely since I've always wanted to move to NY and this school was one of my top choices.

It's interesting because I applied to this school thinking they didn't show regional preference (I live in SC). But, it kind of seems like they do. I've followed this forum closely since I've always wanted to move to NY and this school was one of my top choices.

I don't think its a regional bias so much as there is probably a ton more applicants from the region