Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been completed since early October... :( What about you?

I was completed beginning of this month. I knew that I was a little late in the game, but now I'm starting to think that I have no chance...considering my stats aren't stellar.

Members don't see this ad.

I was completed beginning of this month. I knew that I was a little late in the game, but now I'm starting to think that I have no chance...considering my stats aren't stellar.

I've been complete since September with a 3.2, 3.77, 26 and I've heard nothing.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any insight on how the waitlist works here? how they rank it? when they start doing looking offering waitlist acceptances? etc.

does anyone have any insight on how the waitlist works here? how they rank it? when they start doing looking offering waitlist acceptances? etc.

Take a look at last year's thread. I believe I remember seeing that they re-evaluate it every day and send out wait list acceptance offers every day by phone during the latter part of the cycle.

Cancelled an interview for February 4th at 1:00. A little late notice but maybe one of you can take advantage of the open spot.:)

Take a look at last year's thread. I believe I remember seeing that they re-evaluate it every day and send out wait list acceptance offers every day by phone during the latter part of the cycle.

yea according to last years thread they started sending out two different types of emails to people who were waitlisted. A cryptically worded email and a "high priority" around mid march. People who got the cryptic email were getting acceptances around late april early may. It seemed most people on the wait list received the "high priority." I don't really understand the false sense of hope but that's how it seems. According to the thread, they don't hold much weight on the gpa.. the main determining factor for priority on the waitlist was the MCAT score..especially bio section.

It could be slightly different this year with the new director of admissions.

I just got the Supplemental application, is it still worth it to submit it? I have a 3.53 GPA, 3.3sGPA, and 27R.

I just got the Supplemental application, is it still worth it to submit it? I have a 3.53 GPA, 3.3sGPA, and 27R.

It is way late to submit. You will be basically be applying for a waitlist spot. I would say go for it, but it is a $200 fee.. did you already apply to schools this cycle or did you just get all your stuff togethor and thought you would give touro a shot but were planning on applying next cycle?

It is way late to submit. You will be basically be applying for a waitlist spot. I would say go for it, but it is a $200 fee.. did you already apply to schools this cycle or did you just get all your stuff togethor and thought you would give touro a shot but were planning on applying next cycle?

I was complete awhile ago and just received the supplemental from Touro, not sure why it took so long. I had my secondaries out for many schools by the beginning of November, which I know is still late. I'd really like to attend TouroCOM NY, so I'm contemplating whether to submit it or now. The $200 is a lot of money for it, but I don't mind it in the big scheme of things.

i believe that they are a little behind when the flooding was going on, so it may not be too late

i believe that they are a little behind when the flooding was going on, so it may not be too late
Hey guys! I'm a Second Year student at TouroCOM who has worked with Mr. Ruiz before. He is tough and a stickler for details and process, but very fair. Because of Hurricane Sandy, and the fact that Mr. Ruiz just took over, there has probably been a delay in the admissions process this year.
Mr. Ruiz actually sent me and a couple of other students the instructions to the e-mail process he wrote you about in order to get a student perspective.
And, in terms of your choice to send a supplemental application, if you are really interested in TouroCOM, it might be a good idea to send one in. $200 is a lot of money, but if you haven't gotten interviews or acceptances to other schools yet, it might be worth it. That choice though, is ultimately up to you.

Good luck to all!

Hey guys! I'm a Second Year student at TouroCOM who has worked with Mr. Ruiz before. He is tough and a stickler for details and process, but very fair. Because of Hurricane Sandy, and the fact that Mr. Ruiz just took over, there has probably been a delay in the admissions process this year.
Mr. Ruiz actually sent me and a couple of other students the instructions to the e-mail process he wrote you about in order to get a student perspective.
And, in terms of your choice to send a supplemental application, if you are really interested in TouroCOM, it might be a good idea to send one in. $200 is a lot of money, but if you haven't gotten interviews or acceptances to other schools yet, it might be worth it. That choice though, is ultimately up to you.

Good luck to all!

Thank you, this really helps with my decision. I'd really like to have a chance at TouoCOM, so it's great to know that I may still have a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed Monday: 1/28
Motha f'in accepted: 1/31

First acceptance after trudging through a bunch of rejections.....I. will. be. a. doctor.

Congrats!!! It's exciting when you find out that all you have worked for is going to be realized!
Did you interview in the morning or afternoon session? I interviewed on the 28th also. I haven't heard anything from them though. Am hoping for the best, but I feel like I bombed the interview. Fingers crossed!

I interviewed in the morning sesh...such a relief to have some good news for once...not another "We regret to blah blah blah"

but as everyone told me along this journey, keep ur head up, stay on the grind, and good news is around the corner

Anyone know how far behind this school is in interviewing?....how many accepted? How many interview days.... Anything?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Anyone know how far behind this school is in interviewing?....how many accepted? How many interview days.... Anything?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
As of 1/28, they had filled 70 seats out of 135. I am not sure how far behind they are in interviewing, but I know of another 2 dates of interview (the upcoming two Mondays), and each date has 2 sessions. Don't know how many more dates after that there are.

Good luck!

Last edited:
As of 1/28, they had filled 70 seats out of 135. I am not sure how far behind they are in interviewing, but I know of another 2 dates of interview (the upcoming two Mondays), and each date has 2 sessions. Don't know how many more dates after that there are.

Good luck!
That's quite a few spots to fill!

Interviewed in the morning on 1/28 accepted today via email 2/1

Good luck!

Wow! I was imagining a lot more spots filled already. That gives me some hope!

I've been complete since September with a 3.2, 3.77, 26 and I've heard nothing.

Good luck!

Yeah same here, this is VERY frustrating! I received an e-mail in late September saying my file was complete, THEN I received the same e-mail (without realizing it) in mid November. When we got the e-mail about the new admissions coordinator, I sent an e-mail inquiring about my application status...still waiting.:thumbdown:

Yeah same here, this is VERY frustrating! I received an e-mail in late September saying my file was complete, THEN I received the same e-mail (without realizing it) in mid November. When we got the e-mail about the new admissions coordinator, I sent an e-mail inquiring about my application status...still waiting.:thumbdown:

I sent an email asking my application status and didn't get a reply. Did you get one?

I interviewed in the afternoon. Received acceptance today! So excited!

It really is a relief to get that acceptance letter!

Again, congrats!!! Now you can relax until classes start.

Wow, quick turnaround. I thought they said 3-4 weeks for notification via mail, not 2 days via email! Congrats. I interviewed in the PM also. Hope I hear some good news soon!

Anyone else who interviewed on 1/28 receive any good news?

they also reserve spots for the master's students who are able to maintain a 3.5 and pass a comp exam. i am part of the master's class this year with hopes of being with you guys next year. i currently shouldn't have an issue getting in, but just so you all know they do leave those spots open for us. there are i think 60 something of us, but i am not positive how many make it in. they say they take anyone who can get the GPA and pass the comp exam, so i guess we'll find out! i don't know if this clears anything up at all in terms of why they have so many spots open still.

With the new admissions inquiry process, are we not allowed to call the school? Has anyone emailed and gotten a response.

PS congrats to those who interviewed on 1/28. I interviewed in the AM session, but i'm still EAGERLY waiting my letter/email/pigeon mail

I interivewed on February 4th and am patiently waiting. Anyone have any news?

I also emailed the school regarding the status of my application but I still haven't heard anything from them...has anyone gotten a response? Thanks!

Reading from last Monday's thread, people were accepted via snail mail or email 3 or 4 days after they interviewed. Hoping tomorrow I will hear some good news.

Just out of curiosity, for all TouroCOM students and prospective students, are you concerned at all about the rapid expansion of the school? Last month, Touro announced plans to matriculate an additional 135 students per year in Middletown, NY. By supply and demand principles, TouroCOM would have to reduce admission standards to accommodate the rapid class expansion. Do you think this will dilute the value of a degree from Touro? Maybe not on a national scale but it would at least devalue the degree in New York State as there would be a huge surge of TouroCOM graduates.

The anticipated rotation spots for the Middletown campus are small community hospitals that see a very limited amount of patients; most advanced trauma cases are flown to other hospitals in the area. Do you think Touro is expanding too rapidly without taking into account the quality of education and the effects on degree holders?

Just out of curiosity, for all TouroCOM students and prospective students, are you concerned at all about the rapid expansion of the school? Last month, Touro announced plans to matriculate an additional 135 students per year in Middletown, NY. By supply and demand principles, TouroCOM would have to reduce admission standards to accommodate the rapid class expansion. Do you think this will dilute the value of a degree from Touro? Maybe not on a national scale but it would at least devalue the degree in New York State as there would be a huge surge of TouroCOM graduates.

The anticipated rotation spots for the Middletown campus are small community hospitals that see a very limited amount of patients; most advanced trauma cases are flown to other hospitals in the area. Do you think Touro is expanding too rapidly without taking into account the quality of education and the effects on degree holders?

This has been discussed at nauseum years ago on this thread. Expansion is only bad if you bumble it. The fact of the matter is admission standards wouldn't fall because the number of still highly qualified students that go to Caribbean or take a year off to try again. That number is much larger than the number of spots added.

And then additionally new schools don't show up and scrape the bottom of the student pool. Because school selection is a complex process there will always be enough highly qualified people who would choose to go to any location that balances out the number who, honestly do exist near the bottom of the pool of applicants. It balances out to a higher average admission than you would think, though yes opening a new school will cause a transient overall average admitted student score drop.

As for ORMC: I'm from that area. Your description, while not completely wrong (it is a community hospital and its not a level 1 trauma AFAIK) it is strongly mischaracterizing. ORMC is a pretty big hospital made from the merger of three hospitals over the last 10 years. The place has a huge catch range and should get plenty of pathology just because the population served is huge even if the life limb mangling trauma goes to Westchester medical center, you realize something after enough rotations: unless you want to do trauma surgery and want 10+ traumas per day, these level 2 centers see all the trauma you would want to see anyway, because the level 1 centers are for massive disasters and for those who are severely injured but semi stable after midnight. If its an unstable trauma it goes to the nearest level 2 or 1. If its a semi stable trauma during work hours it goes to the nearest level 2 or 1. Level 2s are supposed to be able to handle any trauma.... just not 24 hours a day. Its level 3s who have to filter who they take.

Last edited:
NYC is very disconnected from the rest of the state. The Southern Tier and area south of Albany does not have any Medical School and the population is growing because of the new jobs in alternate energy. The new campus is needed. Touro Harlem also serves NJ and NJ does not have that many medical schools. I wouldn't worry about Touro's reputation.

I guess its worth adding that there is a very large untapped resource right across the river in the two hospitals of Poughkeepsie (and really all three big ones of dutchess county). Gossip among some of the staff has made it clear the school wants students in these hospitals as no one is in them now (since NYMC is gonna be Touro Westchester soon there is literally no medical school presence but Touro from the Bronx to Albany).

With that said, gossip means absolutely zero, Nothing, Nada, until its actually accomplished. And it could through. But its clearly the gameplan.

I also emailed the school regarding the status of my application but I still haven't heard anything from them...has anyone gotten a response? Thanks!

Having sent numerous emails/voicemails to Mr. Sow in the past with no response, I emailed them as soon as we got the announcement about Mr. Ruiz's appointment. Then I sent another email inquiry once we received the email about format of inquiries. I received an email response Friday night saying that someone will get back to me on Monday. Having not heard back, I called on Wednesday and ended up speaking with Mr. Ruiz who explained the process of application review and the delay in responding to inquiries. My conversation with him was very pleasant and I really appreciated the fact that he took the time to speak with me and to answer all of my questions. I am sure that many of these inquiries will receive responses soon. I only called because I thought I may have missed the promised call/email from Touro admissions. I would really love to interview there and hope to hear some good news from them soon.

I am excited that TouroCOM is opening up a campus in Orange County. As DocEspana stated, there aren't many schools between NYC and Albany (other than NYMC), so the fact that TouroCOM is doing so, with a focus on rural medicine, is a great opportunity for the area.
With regards to having to reduce admission standards, in comparison to other schools (i.e. NYCOM, LECOM, PCOM, NOVA), Touro is on the low end of first-year enrollment (many times less than half of the others). Those schools don't have lax admissions standards, even though they have high first year enrollment numbers. I don't foresee TouroCOM doing any different.
It's great that more highly qualified individuals will have the opportunity to become doctors.

I am excited that TouroCOM is opening up a campus in Orange County. As DocEspana stated, there aren't many schools between NYC and Albany (other than NYMC), so the fact that TouroCOM is doing so, with a focus on rural medicine, is a great opportunity for the area.
With regards to having to reduce admission standards, in comparison to other schools (i.e. NYCOM, LECOM, PCOM, NOVA), Touro is on the low end of first-year enrollment (many times less than half of the others). Those schools don't have lax admissions standards, even though they have high first year enrollment numbers. I don't foresee TouroCOM doing any different.
It's great that more highly qualified individuals will have the opportunity to become doctors.

Any new school would want to have a strong first class. Assuming that they would have lower standards for an inaugural class is a common misconception. I am quite certain they would not have a shortage of qualified applicants and will be quite picky in who they accept.

Has anyone who interviewed on the 4th of February heard back?

ii received 11/28!!!!!!
interview date 1/28.

anyone else interviewing this day?

stats: cGPA 3.45, sGPA 3.18, MCAT 26

I have very similar stats to you and have not heard anything from Touro. I submitted all my materials late October. Are you a NY resident? I'm wondering why I still haven't heard anything???

I have very similar stats to you and have not heard anything from Touro. I submitted all my materials late October. Are you a NY resident? I'm wondering why I still haven't heard anything???
+1

Similar stats and heard nothing. But, I'm from SC.

It appears as though Touro admissions uses some sort of a screening algorithm that selects which candidates will be offered an interview, which will be rejected pre-interview and which will be placed in a pre-interview hold and re-reviewed regularly. I believe those of us who have been complete for a few months now and have not heard anything yet may be in the limbo pool (app not strong enough for an interview yet not weak enough for a rejection). Wish I had applied during the time when secondary invite = interview. Oh well...

The stats aren't everything. I have been seeing DO applicants with a 23-25 MCAT getting accepted. Are you EC's weak? Maybe your personal statement wasn't great? They view applicants as they treat patients..holistically.

Anyone who interviewed on February 4th hear back yet?

Nope. I interviewed in the afternoon on Feb 4th and I haven't heard anything yet.

Wow, I forgot, they interview 20ish people once a week. The competition is fierce indeed. I called and they said they will make decisions Thursday and Friday.

Does anybody know how many more interview dates there are? I just got an email from them saying I've been waitlisted. I interviewed Feb 4th.

I applied to a lot of schools, and this was the only school that didn't send me a secondary. Actually they didn't even reply to my Primary, lol. I did get that random email saying they changed Administration though. Kinda wanted to go here because I lived in NYC for 10 years and can handle going to school on 125th street in Harlem, ah well.

I am so nervous. This is essentially my last hope.

The stats aren't everything. I have been seeing DO applicants with a 23-25 MCAT getting accepted. Are you EC's weak? Maybe your personal statement wasn't great? They view applicants as they treat patients..holistically.

No, my EC's are definitely not weak. I have been out of college for 5 years and have been involved in lab and clinical research since college. I have more EC's than can fit on the application so I don't think that is the problem. I do not believe that my personal statement is weak, but I guess that is pretty subjective. My weakest link is my MCAT but it appears that people with similar MCAT scores are being considered. I guess I will wait and see what happens. Thanks for responding.

Respectfully declined my acceptance here. Hope it comes around to help one of yall out