Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalongo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
FYI some matriculation data came via email (just immuno, insurance, registration, etc)

Can't find it, which email is the data in?

Members don't see this ad.

dadoc1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's definitely before Mr. Ruiz became the admissions director. Now we just have to wait and see what dadoc1990 says.

I was waitlisted by email. Mr. Ruiz said the only thing that's mailed is the admissions packet for accepted students.

Members don't see this ad :)

dadoc1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have an idea of how long the wait list is?

Not sure exactly what you are asking but theoretically It can run into the first week of classes. Mr. Ruiz also told me that there are roughly 100 people on the wait list.

G

gmcguitar4

crickets??

Wow, 100 people on it already. That's pretty long. Do they rank the waitlist?

For any info on last years waitlist just go to last years class thread. It is probably slightly different though since they have a new guy running the show.

herewego2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been wait-listed at Touro and accepted at another school. Touro has been my top choice bc of the location, research opportunities, and I just felt good about the school in general. However, I really want to talk to a current Touro student about your experience there. I am also curious about where Touro students do their rotations and if there is any opportunity for international field work or rotations. The website is not very informative and it seems this school has a lot of room to grow, which I don't necessarily mind.

If you're a current student or have a good knowledge base about my questions, would you please message me? Thank you!

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been wait-listed at Touro and accepted at another school. Touro has been my top choice bc of the location, research opportunities, and I just felt good about the school in general. However, I really want to talk to a current Touro student about your experience there. I am also curious about where Touro students do their rotations and if there is any opportunity for international field work or rotations. The website is not very informative and it seems this school has a lot of room to grow, which I don't necessarily mind.

If you're a current student or have a good knowledge base about my questions, would you please message me? Thank you!

I would talk to DocEspana, as he is graduating this year and probably has a lot of info.

As far as international field work goes, I know they are planning a trip to Nicaragua, and they have many trips still in the setting up/planning phase where they could potentially go to other parts of Latin America, Africa, and southeast Asia.

Member 500700

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
....anddddddddddddd
just got an ii for 4/15. pretty much interviewing for the wait list?

gbilla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

If anyone who interviewed here could recommend a nearby, cheap hotel to stay in it would really help me out! The hotel list given in the email sent by the school is quite long and I'm in a rush against the clock to book flights/rooms as I was offered an interview this morning for next Monday (4/15).

Sorry, I'm sure this has come up before earlier in this thread but I'm afraid if I took the time to read through all 19 pages the flight prices are gonna jump again :/ Man I really want to go to medical school but seriously, arranging a last minute trip from CA to NY at a weeks notice is quite the pain.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)

gbilla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like we'll be interviewing for the waitlist together if you decide to go lol. Have you figured out where you're gonna stay yet?

Edit: This was in response to the poster above me

Member 500700

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like we'll be interviewing for the waitlist together if you decide to go lol. Have you figured out where you're gonna stay yet?

Edit: This was in response to the poster above me

i live in queens =D

liegepk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Just a quick question here.
I live in Long Island, and I was wondering if commuting via train would be good idea??
I know it's a long way off, but the benefits of living with my parents there and not worrying about cooking, and rent and bills outweigh the long commute time...
Any suggestion?

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Just a quick question here.
I live in Long Island, and I was wondering if commuting via train would be good idea??
I know it's a long way off, but the benefits of living with my parents there and not worrying about cooking, and rent and bills outweigh the long commute time...
Any suggestion?

1) One person in my class did do it. She make it work, but complained non-stop about her commute. She did it because she was engaged to someone who by job description could not be outside of nassau county.

2) see the bolded text. It is absolutely *not* going to outweigh it.

3) Don't do it unless you have no other choices. You likely have other choices.

Buffalo2891

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just an update from the admission process!

I interviewed April 8th, was waitlisted April 18, and then called by Mr. Ruiz the next day to let me know I had been taken off the waitlist and was accepted!

fluoropHore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just an update from the admission process!

I interviewed April 8th, was waitlisted April 18, and then called by Mr. Ruiz the next day to let me know I had been taken off the waitlist and was accepted!

Congrats! I will be withdrawing my acceptance in favor of staying in Philly. :) That should open up a spot for someone here. :)

DrEnderW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is first day of orientation and class?

They haven't told us yet.

Judging from past years, it looks like between July 29th and early Aug would be the best bet.

Classes start early because of all the Jewish holidays that the school observes in the Fall.

Melomare17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone gotten in who have had multiple MCAT scores??

pglo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone gotten an ii in May?

Mar3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an ii.. so confused now.. I thought I was done with this cycle.. I dont know too much about the school but the location appeals to me as it will be close to family in toronto and philly. I just happen to be in Toronto visiting so I could just go for the interview...I dont know would I be interviewing for a waitlist spot at this point? I currently an set at KCUMB.

pglo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would give it up if you are set at another school. Some people are still waiting for these last minute interviews.

thndrbrd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Go to the interview. I chose Touro over KCUMB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

flypanam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I made this account just now because yesterday I found out I got accepted at Touro for the fall. I am usually not a forum-going person, and I didn't really check ANY of these pre-med forums during my application process. I really wish I knew they existed because they would have made my life so much easier.!I'm not a traditional applicant, I graduated in 2010, and through this process I had no adviser or anyone to guide me... so I applied everywhere really late and only really made the deadlines with everything for osteopathic schools and st george u in grenada since their cutoffs are later.

I interviewed April 29, and got my acceptance yesterday by email. Nothing yet in the regular mail.

I do have a bit of information for you guys... On April 29, I saw on Mr. Ruiz' whiteboard that out of 135 spots, about 90 were filled, and 98 people were on the waitlist. That was a couple weeks ago, so I'm sure it's changed a bit, but what made me optimistic was that even this late in the cycle there were at least 40 spots open! Some spots definitely filled up, but I'm sure some of the filled spots will drop out as well, so there's definitely hope for anyone waitlisted or still waiting to hear back.

And @Mar3, what I like about Touro is that everything is really new, technologically-oriented, and progressive. The school only graduated a few classes so far. The location is brand new, the facilities are shiny and not spoiled by years of abuse, the library is nice and modern looking, the cafeteria sucks, the lecture halls are modern and accommodating, etc. When I asked one of my interviewers what he thought one of the best things about the school was, he agreed with my view on how progressive it is. The classes aren't taught lecture-style. You listen to lectures at home at your leisure, using slides and audio files, and when you come to class it's all interactive so you're not sitting there with your mind wandering for 8 hours of boring lecture. Also the curriculum is very malleable, as one of the faculty put it, compared to their old school where it could take months to change the smallest thing in the curriculum, and in the end it gets vetoed anyway by the 60 year old professor who doesn't want to change the slides he's been using for 15 years. At Touro they are always innovating, and the test results from each new class show that these methods work.

The thing I like least about Touro is the physical location, though it's not that bad. A short walk to the subway and a 5 minute subway ride will get you to nicer areas. I was born in Manhattan, grew up in queens, and lived in Jersey most of my life except my undergrad in Baltimore, so I'm familiar with the city. Touro is in an interesting area, and harlem now is nothing like it was 20 years ago, but there's still no campus, and no beauty of any sort. I took my post-bac classes at Columbia, which is in the same general area but a few blocks SW. Harlem is cool but not the safest at night. During the day it's fine, though. Compared to the area of Baltimore I lived in, Harlem isn't bad at all in my opinion.

G

gmcguitar4

Dude the physical location is pretty good. 15 min walk to the 4,5,6..right in between ACE and 123 subway. The food is damnn cheap all around. Apartments are relatively cheap. The area isn't dangerous I would say, but it definitely keeps you on your toes at night. Always some interesting characters..more amusing than dangerous though IMO. Any area of the city can be sketchy at night though. Just have to be smart about it. They are building a bunch of new apartment complexes all over and the area is changing pretty fast. Not to mention there is a costco/target/marshalls supercenter just a 15 min bus ride away.

DwightSchruteDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do have a bit of information for you guys... On April 29, I saw on Mr. Ruiz' whiteboard that out of 135 spots, about 90 were filled, and 98 people were on the waitlist. That was a couple weeks ago, so I'm sure it's changed a bit, but what made me optimistic was that even this late in the cycle there were at least 40 spots open! Some spots definitely filled up, but I'm sure some of the filled spots will drop out as well, so there's definitely hope for anyone waitlisted or still waiting to hear back.

congrats on your acceptance!

out of the 135, anywhere from 15-35 spots are reserved for people in Touro's master of science (post bach) program and people who deferred from last year; not including people who have to repeat a year since the academic year is not over yet...this may affect the waitlist movement.

I would say every year there are only about 100-110 seats for outside applicants out of the 135.

AlabamaPop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
congrats on your acceptance!

out of the 135, anywhere from 15-35 spots are reserved for people in Touro's master of science (post bach) program and people who deferred from last year; not including people who have to repeat a year since the academic year is not over yet...this may affect the waitlist movement.

I would say every year there are only about 100-110 seats for outside applicants out of the 135.

I was under the impression out of 70 masters students, 50+ usually get in...not a max of 35.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression out of 70 masters students, 50+ usually get in...not a max of 35.

I don't think there's a set "max". The impression I got from Mr. Ruiz is that they simply reserved spots for MSHS students that make the cutoff. Out of the 70 or so that are enrolled, its usually ~45 that make the cutoff and matriculate at TouroCOM.

I would say at least 35 seats are reserved for MS students, but it varies each year and depends on who actually makes it. They usually estimate the number they need to reserve based on how the students do first semester, and like I said, its usually around 45.

AlabamaPop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's a set "max". The impression I got from Mr. Ruiz is that they simply reserved spots for MSHS students that make the cutoff. Out of the 70 or so that are enrolled, its usually ~45 that make the cutoff and matriculate at TouroCOM.

I would say at least 35 seats are reserved for MS students, but it varies each year and depends on who actually makes it. They usually estimate the number they need to reserve based on how the students do first semester, and like I said, its usually around 45.

That makes sense! Are you applying this year to Touro?

AlabamaPop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess I applied this year, but really it was last cycle (2012-2013) :). They have a great program and a great building, so you all should be excited.

I am matriculating at another school in the fall.

What made you pick X school over Touro?

dadoc1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone still have an interview coming up for Touro? Also if any of you call the school, be sure to ask when is the last day they consider off the waitlist. I can't find any clear information on the 2013 calendar for the following academic year.

edthe3rd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone still have an interview coming up for Touro? Also if any of you call the school, be sure to ask when is the last day they consider off the waitlist. I can't find any clear information on the 2013 calendar for the following academic year.

I was told when I called Admissions that their last interview was on Monday, May 13th.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im so old nowadays, but back in my day the number of masters students was around 20. Ive heard 35 thrown around for the last 3 years though. first im hearing about 40-anything.

Showmetheinvites

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
They haven't told us yet.

Judging from past years, it looks like between July 29th and early Aug would be the best bet.

Classes start early because of all the Jewish holidays that the school observes in the Fall.
When I was there for my interview, they said orientation is July 29 (full day) and July 30 (half day) with classes starting July 31. I BELIEVE. I misplaced my notes from the interview. I remember July 29th being the first day we would need to be there though.

ksg19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am new to this forum! I got accepted on Thursday and I am really excited to be part of the school. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a page for the accepted students?
Also, during my interview, there was a presentation regarding the F Edward Hebert Armed Forces scholarship. Is anyone here thinking about applying to this program/scholarship?

jerris2011

Perseverance til the end!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm currently in the Master's program. I live VERY close to school and will have a free bedroom available July 1st in my 2 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment. I'm looking for a female roommate . If anyone is interested PM me without any hesitations!

edthe3rd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am new to this forum! I got accepted on Thursday and I am really excited to be part of the school. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a page for the accepted students?
Also, during my interview, there was a presentation regarding the F Edward Hebert Armed Forces scholarship. Is anyone here thinking about applying to this program/scholarship?

I also received my acceptance last Thursday. Were you interviewed on May 13th? I was and I'm curious if we were in the same interview cohort. There is a Facebook page. Just search for "Touro COM Class of 2017". I sent my request to join but it has yet to be accepted.