Touro Univeristy - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, can any current medical students tell me what its like here? This is one of my top choices right now.

what stats are you guys applying with?
The deadlines in Feb and I was wondering if applying with stellar ECs, LORs, sgpa3.3 and (expecting) High mcat score will be OK if I apply in December. I am retaking a class in the fall that I got an F in and need to wait for the grades to be released.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email saying my primary was received and theyll send out the secondary in 10-14 days

Reactions: 1 user
judging by what it says, can we assume they screen us?
I'm pretty sure they do a screen based on the wording of the email and also their website mentions that the minimum for an interview is a 3.00/23

Yes I did get a duplicate email. Time to get working on that $100 fee...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, can any current medical students tell me what its like here? This is one of my top choices right now.

I'm not a current student, graduated in 2011 and did an ACGME residency in internal medicine. In a fellowship now at USC. I felt like I was trained well. I worry about the financial debt I have accrued and the high interest rate which is something to consider. If I had to do it again I would go back to Touro. However if going to a public school where you can get public tuition rates I would highly opt for that. I also did the MPH degree simultaneously which I could have gotten along the way for free with some IM residencies which probably would have saved me $50K or more.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not a current student, graduated in 2011 and did an ACGME residency in internal medicine. In a fellowship now at USC. I felt like I was trained well. I worry about the financial debt I have accrued and the high interest rate which is something to consider. If I had to do it again I would go back to Touro. However if going to a public school where you can get public tuition rates I would highly opt for that. I also did the MPH degree simultaneously which I could have gotten along the way for free with some IM residencies which probably would have saved me $50K or more.

Thanks for the info! Yea, money is an issue for me as well. In fact, I havent been able to go to any kind of grad school recently because of it. (Doesnt matter too much as the only grad school I want to go to is med school) I had a full ride in my undergrad.

Here's the secondary for this year:

Please draft responses to the questions/prompts below, then save and upload your responses as a single document for inclusion with your supplemental application.

Responses to the following should be limited to 250 words or less:

· Within the last seven years, do you have any academic or legal records available under a different name? If yes, please provide any additional names under which your academic records may be listed.

· Are you a re-applicant who has previously interviewed? If yes, what was the result of that interview and what changes, if any, have you made which should affect a different outcome?

· What is the size of your home town or area – 2,500 to 10,000, 10,000 to 50,000, 50,000 to 100,000, 100,000 to 500,000, 500,000 to 1,000,000+), or Other (please specify)?

· Do you have any relative who is an Osteopathic Physician? Please list their name, relationship to you, COM attended, and year of graduation.

· Please list your favorite hobbies and/or non-academic pursuits.

· Within the last three years, please provide the name of previous employers, your occupation(s), and the duration(s) of your employment.

· Within the last three years, have you been engaged in any volunteer experiences? Please include the type of experience, sponsor, duration, and position.

· Within the last five years, what awards or recognitions (academic or other) have you received?

· Why have you chosen to apply to the TUC College of Osteopathic Medicine?

· Why should the Committee accept you into this year’s class?

Responses to the following should be limited to 500 words or less:

· Please describe the personal characteristics you possess and the life experiences you have had that would contribute to your success at becoming an outstanding Osteopathic Physician. Please include information that will enable the Admissions Committee to understand your unique qualities.

· Please describe your exposure to and understanding of Osteopathic Medicine. Content may include your initial introduction to the profession, its history, use in medical practice today, or any other aspects that may highlight Osteopathic Medicine’s uniqueness and synergy with your envisioned future practice of medicine.

nvm

Last edited:
I am getting worried now. I havent gotten one.

They said it takes 10-14 days so I'm sure you'll get it soon

I did not get a secondary from here yet either.

For some reason it bypassed the payment screen and I submitted the application without paying. I e-mailed them to let them know, it said on the receipt “waiver” but as far as I know I don’t have a waiver.

I haven't gotten a secondary from here. I drove through their campus a week ago. I'm not overly impressed with the facilities. If I have to go to a DO in Cali, I would prefer Western in Pomona.

I haven't gotten a secondary from here. I drove through their campus a week ago. I'm not overly impressed with the facilities. If I have to go to a DO in Cali, I would prefer Western in Pomona.

Funnily enough I've heard the opposite haha.

Funnily enough I've heard the opposite haha.

You will find out for yourself when you actually visit the campus. Half of the information given on sdn about school facilities end of being bs. That's my observation so far.

You will find out for yourself when you actually visit the campus. Half of the information given on sdn about school facilities end of being bs. That's my observation so far.

I can agree with that.

I actually have to get a Interview from there first though... and I havent even gotten a secondary yet.

Does anybody mind posting their stats who have gotten a secondary from here? I'd love to come here and was wondering if I have a chance... thanks in advance! :)

Do you guys know if this school averages multiple MCAT scores or not?

For some reason it bypassed the payment screen and I submitted the application without paying. I e-mailed them to let them know, it said on the receipt “waiver” but as far as I know I don’t have a waiver.

Same thing happened to me when I submitted today. I emailed them as well. Do you know what address we are supposed to send our transcripts to?

How many people have received secondaries? My stats are above the cutoff and I'm reaching the 10 day mark, unless they mean business days.

How many people have received secondaries? My stats are above the cutoff and I'm reaching the 10 day mark, unless they mean business days.

I'm wondering the same thing.

My stats are well above the cut off and I havent gotten anything yet.

Don't mind waiting on them. I still have a couple more I have to finish haha.

Well I guess call them after the 10-14 day review period is up. Which for me is about to be up. I'm sure its the same for both of you.
Yeah the 14 day mark for me will be this Friday.

Reactions: 1 users
Same thing happened to me when I submitted today. I emailed them as well. Do you know what address we are supposed to send our transcripts to?
You only send them if they're not on your aacomas app

I received the secondary 26 mcat, 3.01c 3.23s, Hispanic

I don't have my hopes too high because I know I'm below their average but I'm happy to have the chance.

I wouldn't stress it, it's still very early and I'm willing to bet things were slowed down with the recent holiday.

Wondering if I will have a chance here. Did anyone get in with a 27 MCAT? Their average is approaching 31..