Tufts c/o 2022 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question: what did you all wear to your interview? Mine's on the 30th and I'm so nervous! I can only wear my special sneakers because of a foot issue, so heels (or even flats) are out of the question.
I wore a dress and black tights with a cardigan, most people wore pant suits but there were a few skirts with blouses too

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when we start hearing back about admissions decisions?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was kind of an idiot and kept meaning to send a thank you note to my interviewers because they were SO nice and I really enjoyed talking to them but then life got crazy and I never sent them a note! My interview was 2 weeks ago -- would it be too late at this point/look worse than not sending one at all? I've gotten mixed advice from "it's better late than never" to "it's too late now" so I'm torn as to what to do. Does anyone have thoughts?! I keep kicking myself that I didn't send one right after the fact :barefoot:

I never even sent a thank you note, and I was in the first group of interviewees to be admitted, so I think you're fine! :)

I never even sent a thank you note, and I was in the first group of interviewees to be admitted, so I think you're fine! :)

Thank you!!! I ended up just sending a note and they both replied and were really nice so I don't think it made a difference :)

Hi guys! Anyone set on Tufts?
I’ll potentially be moving here in the Fall for dental school and was interested in looking for a female roommate!! PM me if interested

Hi guys! Anyone set on Tufts?
I’ll potentially be moving here in the Fall for dental school and was interested in looking for a female roommate!! PM me if interested

Just FYI, the vet school is out in Grafton (which is like 45min-1hr away from Boston on the commuter rail!), the dental school is in downtown Boston I believe (near Chinatown?)! Unless you're looking to live outside of Boston, I think most vet students usually live near/around the Grafton area !

Just FYI, the vet school is out in Grafton (which is like 45min-1hr away from Boston on the commuter rail!), the dental school is in downtown Boston I believe (near Chinatown?)! Unless you're looking to live outside of Boston, I think most vet students usually live near/around the Grafton area !

Thank you for that info!! Looks like I was on the wrong thread .

Quick question: what did you all wear to your interview? Mine's on the 30th and I'm so nervous! I can only wear my special sneakers because of a foot issue, so heels (or even flats) are out of the question.

Hi! I wore a pencil skirt and a sweater and definitely felt a little out of place because most other people were wearing pant suits. But my advice is to just wear what you feel most comfortable in, because the interview definitely seemed more about getting to know who you are as a person.
As far as the tour, i took both A and B at the end of the day, so I wore my interview outfit all morning and then changed into jeans and boots for the tour (it was snowing and really cold outside the day I interviewed) and no one seemed to mind at all

Anyone else interview yesterday? I thought it was a pretty fun day, hope we hear back soon :)

Anyone else interview yesterday? I thought it was a pretty fun day, hope we hear back soon :)
Yeah, I did. I really enjoyed the day too. I took a tour A in the AM with Pam and she was super nice. I interviewed with Drs. Ruttger and Mezan and they were very nice, who did you have? My 4 legged child and I could definitely enjoy being at Tufts for 4 years...

Reactions: 1 users
I had Dr. Mahony and Dr. Whittier - they were both super welcoming and great! Actually, everyone at Tufts was so friendly. I walked around the cafe area that morning, and several people noticed me wearing a suit and wished me good luck!

After being waitlisted for an interview and never getting an invite, I officially got my rejection letter today. Very interesting as I was waitlisted an interview last year, got an interview, and was then waitlisted last year. Just goes to show how every application cycle is different.

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Does anyone have an idea of when we're hearing back?

When I interviewed I asked Ford and he said best case scenario we would hear mid-February and worst case scenario end of the month.

Anyone else jump out of their seat when the email for the DVM/MPH application came through? Can't even think about filling out another form before knowing my DVM admission status :D

Reactions: 10 users
Has anyone been able to access the MPH application? For some reason the links don't work for me and both contact emails sent me auto-replies that they'll be out of the office.

Has anyone been able to access the MPH application? For some reason the links don't work for me and both contact emails sent me auto-replies that they'll be out of the office.

You should be able to access the questions from your application portal!

Anyone else jump out of their seat when the email for the DVM/MPH application came through? Can't even think about filling out another form before knowing my DVM admission status :D
When I got the email I had a mini heart attack. I was like yes finally a decision. I want to know so bad!

OOS acceptance!! Sooo pumped!!

Reactions: 2 users
!!! Accepted OOS, but doesn’t feel like real life

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to all those accepted. I got put on the alternate list. Guess I have to play the waiting game for a little bit longer.

Second year applying, second year on the alternate list :/ Based on my discussion with Ford last year it sounded like people rarely get off the alternate list at Tufts because they over-admit to account for the usual amount of people who turn down their acceptance...
Congratulations to those who were accepted!

OOS accepted. Will most likely be declining my seat for a slightly cheaper OOS spot.
Congratulations everyone. What a ride this has been,

Reactions: 4 users
Second year applying, second year on the alternate list :/ Based on my discussion with Ford last year it sounded like people rarely get off the alternate list at Tufts because they over-admit to account for the usual amount of people who turn down their acceptance...
Congratulations to those who were accepted!
Also oos alternate. I'm not seeing the form I need to fill out to confirm that I want to stay on the alternate list. Anyone else having that problem? Or can someone please point me to it?

OOS accepted!! Tufts is my dream school I’m so excited!

Reactions: 5 users
Also oos alternate. I'm not seeing the form I need to fill out to confirm that I want to stay on the alternate list. Anyone else having that problem? Or can someone please point me to it?

My alternate form was a link at the top of my application status page that showed up once I went back after opening the decision update.

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page already made?

OOS Accepted!! So happy right now!:happy: I can't believe this is actually happening!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted IS! I burst out crying at work when I got the email yesterday. I'm so excited!

Reactions: 5 users
Also an alternate. Liked Tufts, but got accepted elsewhere, so oh well :rolleyes:. Congratulations, and good luck next year, everyone!

BTW OOS Accepted. I love everything about the program, but wasn't thrilled about the lack of a town center or college town feel in North Grafton. I'm also concerned about the lack of sun, especially in the winter, and how that will affect my mood. (#SADS)

Can any current students speak to this? Are there things to do in the area/how do you deal with the weather?

Does anyone know if they pull from the alternate list at all? I know the e-mail said most people accept their invites and I know that they over-accept people in general, so I wasn't sure if that meant they never end up pulling from the alternate list or if they only pull a few from the list

BTW OOS Accepted. I love everything about the program, but wasn't thrilled about the lack of a town center or college town feel in North Grafton. I'm also concerned about the lack of sun, especially in the winter, and how that will affect my mood. (#SADS)

Can any current students speak to this? Are there things to do in the area/how do you deal with the weather?

Im not a current student but I have lived in MA since I was 2 so I know the area well. North grafton is very close to Worcestor, framingham, and natick which has a lot more to do: fun restauraunts and bars and lots of activities (my friends and I just went to worchestor to do an escape room). Youd also be able to take day trips to Boston.

In regards to weather, it is difficult. My boyfriend has a hard time mood wise during the winter as it is often grey outside. So it is defintely a thing to consider. I dont think theres really a solution to dealing with it though besides staying indoors more.

Hope this helps ! Maybe see you next fall!

Hey guys! Quick question- does anyone remember the learning style Tufts uses? (more book heavy, PBL, etc?) Thanks!

I need opinions on living situations! I would really like to live with my boyfriend who got accepted to Suffolk Law School in Boston. We originally planned on just living half way in between so that the commute would be about a half hour for each of us. After doing some research, it seems that would be about Framingham or Natick. I am just worried of course about being that far away but it isn't really fair to him to live closer to me but further from him. Do you guys think it is feasible to commute a half hour? Would it be a deal breaker for you??

Hi everyone! Congrats to all of you who have been accepted here, and to other schools. I know it is a ton of hard work (and a lot of waiting) and you should all be super proud. I am a current member of the V20 class at Tufts.

ASCvet: As far as the weather here, it can be cold and gloomy during the winter, but I think that is an issue at many vet schools. They seem to like to build schools in places with lots of land and cool climates. With that being said, yesterday it was 71 out and I studied outside, so you never know! Some winters are colder and snowier than others here, but you normally have a few warm days sprinkled throughout to give you hope that spring will come again. Spring, Summer, and Fall here are beautiful with a great campus to walk around in, lots of nearby parks, and hiking trails, and several waterways if you are into kayaking, etc. I live in Worcester, and have not had any problems finding things to do, considering how much time I spend studying. There are a ton of restaurants in Worcester (and several more coming this year), there is bowling nearby, lots of shopping areas, and it is super easy to train or drive into Boston where there are plenty of activities! If you're into sports, it is fun to go out and watch Patriots practices in the fall.

DVet1996: We have about 90% classic didactic learning and labs here. Throughout your first year you have 1 P/F PBL style class as an introduction to clinical thinking, but everything else is in the classroom, anatomy or microbiology labs, etc. There is a lot of case integration into lectures, especially second year. I personally love this teaching style, because it gives you the opportunity to apply your learning, while also tackling material in the methodical way that most people are used to from undergrad. We have very few required textbooks here and many classes work with "syllabi" for additional support, that are written by the professors of the courses, and can be accessed for free online.

adeane7: My long term boyfriend has a job in Boston, so I understand this struggle. I do know of a few people that lived farther away from school during the first few years and made it work. All of our lectures are recorded here, so if the weather is bad you would be able to stay home (unless there is a mandatory lab or something that day). We personally have lived in Worcester for the past two years. It is one of the least expensive places you can live (we live in Wexford Village which is about 10 minutes from campus and has its own gym, pool, and tennis courts). Although the commute is long for him, he has made it work by taking the commuter rail in from the Grafton station and finishing up emails, listening to podcasts etc. on the ride. Ultimately, after school we will likely move closer to his work to make it easier for him, but for now taking the train and eliminating the stress of driving has helped make the commute a little better.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone! Congrats to all of you who have been accepted here, and to other schools. I know it is a ton of hard work (and a lot of waiting) and you should all be super proud. I am a current member of the V20 class at Tufts.

ASCvet: As far as the weather here, it can be cold and gloomy during the winter, but I think that is an issue at many vet schools. They seem to like to build schools in places with lots of land and cool climates. With that being said, yesterday it was 71 out and I studied outside, so you never know! Some winters are colder and snowier than others here, but you normally have a few warm days sprinkled throughout to give you hope that spring will come again. Spring, Summer, and Fall here are beautiful with a great campus to walk around in, lots of nearby parks, and hiking trails, and several waterways if you are into kayaking, etc. I live in Worcester, and have not had any problems finding things to do, considering how much time I spend studying. There are a ton of restaurants in Worcester (and several more coming this year), there is bowling nearby, lots of shopping areas, and it is super easy to train or drive into Boston where there are plenty of activities! If you're into sports, it is fun to go out and watch Patriots practices in the fall.

DVet1996: We have about 90% classic didactic learning and labs here. Throughout your first year you have 1 P/F PBL style class as an introduction to clinical thinking, but everything else is in the classroom, anatomy or microbiology labs, etc. There is a lot of case integration into lectures, especially second year. I personally love this teaching style, because it gives you the opportunity to apply your learning, while also tackling material in the methodical way that most people are used to from undergrad. We have very few required textbooks here and many classes work with "syllabi" for additional support, that are written by the professors of the courses, and can be accessed for free online.

adeane7: My long term boyfriend has a job in Boston, so I understand this struggle. I do know of a few people that lived farther away from school during the first few years and made it work. All of our lectures are recorded here, so if the weather is bad you would be able to stay home (unless there is a mandatory lab or something that day). We personally have lived in Worcester for the past two years. It is one of the least expensive places you can live (we live in Wexford Village which is about 10 minutes from campus and has its own gym, pool, and tennis courts). Although the commute is long for him, he has made it work by taking the commuter rail in from the Grafton station and finishing up emails, listening to podcasts etc. on the ride. Ultimately, after school we will likely move closer to his work to make it easier for him, but for now taking the train and eliminating the stress of driving has helped make the commute a little better.

Thank you for your help! If I do decide to commute, for how long do you think it might be possible before becoming a problem? I know a lot of the time during rotations they require you to be a certain distance away if you are on call. Do you know the rules about that?

Thank you for your help! If I do decide to commute, for how long do you think it might be possible before becoming a problem? I know a lot of the time during rotations they require you to be a certain distance away if you are on call. Do you know the rules about that?
No problem! It wouldn't be an issue at all until the March of your third year. I believe that they require you to live within 15 minutes of campus when you are on call during your ER shifts, but most other rotations don't care. I personally know someone who made it through all four years living in Uxbridge about 30 minutes from campus though and never had an issue even on ER rotation!

I decided that another school that I was admitted at was a better fit for me so I just declined my offer to Tufts. Hopefully that leads to some waitlist movement for y'all!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if Tufts has a dress code ? I know a lot of school are business casual/ jeans only (no leggings et c).

Can any current students chime in about what you use for technology? I really love the idea of an iPad Pro with the Apple pencil + keyboard, but I found a tech requirement page that states “laptop computer”, so thinking a tablet might not be acceptable?
I do currently have a MacBook Pro, but it’s going on 10 years old and has given me some issues lately, so I definitely need some sort of replacement. Ideally if a laptop is absolutely needed, I could keep the MacBook around for that purpose, but I don’t trust the reliability of this old thing So if a tablet isn’t sufficient, I would just forgo the iPad altogether and likely choose a new MacBook.