You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Tufts C/O 2028
Started by _rae_
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
amandalar845
Full Member
I’ll be declining an OOS seat. Hopefully someone receives good news soon!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For all those that are alternates, 2 years ago the waitlist didn’t move before April 15th. They over admit quite a bit of students so even if some people decline their seat, they don’t dip into the alternate pool that much. I was pulled off the alternate list in July. I know of one other person in my class that was too around the same time. To my knowledge we were the only ones pulled from the alternate list. I know that all sounds discouraging, but don’t give up hope! I had given up hope and in July got off two waitlists so it is possible! I would also recommend all those waitlisted do an application review with Ford because he gives you good information!
so I didn’t apply for the scholarship applications due 2/1 , does that mean I have no shot at receiving any money from them :,(
ctwom24
Full Member
so I didn’t apply for the scholarship applications due 2/1 , does that mean I have no shot at receiving any money from them :,(
I think it just means you might not get your financial package before April 15th but I’m not 100% sure
pommie62856
New Member
Can any previous OOS students talk about their experience at Tufts? Including housing, managing finances, classes. Is there any time to work? What are some good resources for housing? Thanks and congrats to everyone for applying! It is not an easy process.
Can any previous OOS students talk about their experience at Tufts? Including housing, managing finances, classes. Is there any time to work? What are some good resources for housing? Thanks and congrats to everyone for applying! It is not an easy process.
- Housing - There's a Facebook page where people list apartments for rent + looking for roommates, along with a class page. There used to be a housing page managed by Tufts, but I'm not sure if they've done away with that - it was rarely updated during my first year; but that's how I found both of my apartments throughout my time at school. Being OOS as well, it was def easier to start looking earlier rather than later.
- Managing finances - tricky. I'm a work-study student, and that helps a little. I had to apply for some forms of external aid too. I'm happy to discuss that more privately if needed. There is time to work - I had a job at the hospital second year.
- Classes - they're starting a new curriculum with the V28s. But in case it's still similar, there were fewer classes first year - largely based in anatomy and physiology. Everyone balances it differently; I often relied on lecture recordings so I could focus on one subject at a time. I don't think I ever quite figured out a system for myself, but I still made it through didactics. Best advice, though cliche - it's a marathon, not a spring. It's just.. sometimes you'll be sprinting during the marathon.
mleibstein
New Member
when should we expect to hear from admissions if we get pulled off the waitlist? is it not until after April 15th?
dvmhopeful13
Full Member
Would you be willing to share the link to the Facebook group for housing? Thank you
- Housing - There's a Facebook page where people list apartments for rent + looking for roommates, along with a class page. There used to be a housing page managed by Tufts, but I'm not sure if they've done away with that - it was rarely updated during my first year; but that's how I found both of my apartments throughout my time at school. Being OOS as well, it was def easier to start looking earlier rather than later.
- Managing finances - tricky. I'm a work-study student, and that helps a little. I had to apply for some forms of external aid too. I'm happy to discuss that more privately if needed. There is time to work - I had a job at the hospital second year.
- Classes - they're starting a new curriculum with the V28s. But in case it's still similar, there were fewer classes first year - largely based in anatomy and physiology. Everyone balances it differently; I often relied on lecture recordings so I could focus on one subject at a time. I don't think I ever quite figured out a system for myself, but I still made it through didactics. Best advice, though cliche - it's a marathon, not a spring. It's just.. sometimes you'll be sprinting during the marathon.
Kai Shilo
Full Member
Spoke with them today. You won't here anything until after April 15th for both the in state and out of state waitlist.when should we expect to hear from admissions if we get pulled off the waitlist? is it not until after April 15th?
dvmhopeful13
Full Member
Is Tufts Vet school pass/fail grades or still traditional letter grades?
futurevet28
Full Member
Jw has anyone ever been exempted from having to fulfill a prereq when admitted?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
traditional letter grades for most didactic courses at this time; certain courses are pass/fail, but not too manyIs Tufts Vet school pass/fail grades or still traditional letter grades?
nope; I was a few weeks shy of finishing my last pre-req before vet school started, and I had to finish it online during my first semester of vet school.Jw has anyone ever been exempted from having to fulfill a prereq when admitted?
Do you know if Tufts has a date that prereqs are due? Were you given an extension or do they just need to be finished by the time class begin? I just found out where I was going to take my last prereq, Orgo 2, isn’t accepted, so now I have to take it over the summer and I’m terrified the class will be finished too late and tufts will rescind my acceptancenope; I was a few weeks shy of finishing my last pre-req before vet school started, and I had to finish it online during my first semester of vet school.
I would check in with Patty. While my situation wasn’t common, it wasn’t unheard of - I don’t know if I received a formal extension, but I did need to send a transcript at the end of it. And I finished the class mid-September, like I think I finished it the week before my first vet school midterm or something like that. A caveat - they may have been more lenient as the world was still in Covid mode at that point - so I’d touch base with her and see what the current policy is.Do you know if Tufts has a date that prereqs are due? Were you given an extension or do they just need to be finished by the time class begin? I just found out where I was going to take my last prereq, Orgo 2, isn’t accepted, so now I have to take it over the summer and I’m terrified the class will be finished too late and tufts will rescind my acceptance
i have a quick question about financial aid. does filling out the CSS, FAFSA somehow bind us to tufts? i am not 100% committed, but i would like to know what financial aid would look like before i decide
Kai Shilo
Full Member
I'm pretty sure nothing binds you until youi have a quick question about financial aid. does filling out the CSS, FAFSA somehow bind us to tufts? i am not 100% committed, but i would like to know what financial aid would look like before i decide
accept an offer because most financial aid requires enrollment verification.
PhosphodiesterBond
Full Member
Has anyone had a phone appointment with the admissions team regarding feedback on their application? If so, was it helpful? I’d like to get in touch to see how I can improve my application for next cycle
futurevetgirl1212
Full Member
Yes! I applied for the early admission program back when I was a sophomore and was denied and I met with admissions and they gave me really good insight into my application and why I was denied and I was able to improve apon a lot of things when applying this cycle and I was admittedHas anyone had a phone appointment with the admissions team regarding feedback on their application? If so, was it helpful? I’d like to get in touch to see how I can improve my application for next cycle
I saw some people talk about how generous tufts is with financial aid. Is this generally true?? I’m working on discussing my award package with the fa office atm. I didn’t expect to get much, but I also didn’t expect to get nothing… They said it’s based on assets which makes me more confused in how I (even w my mom) wasn’t eligible. The school is way too expensive not to get any aid 😭 I’m scared lol
Last edited:
unfortunately, this is not true for me, or for my close circle of friends here. and i receive federal aid to help make end's meet.I saw some people talk about how generous tufts is with financial aid. Is this generally true?? I’m working on discussing my award package with the fa office atm. I didn’t expect to get much, but I also didn’t expect to get nothing… They said it’s based on assets which makes me more confused in how I (even w my mom) wasn’t eligible. The school is way too expensive not to get any aid 😭 I’m scared lol
that said, i can't speak to the experiences of other people.
Tufts gave me an estimate for a $10,000 grant, which while generous and I am grateful for, is still less than what Minnesota offered me, and UMN OOS tuition is almost $10k less than Tufts IS. I am likely to decline my seat at Tufts at this point (though not entirely certain), so hopefully that $10k can be allocated elsewhere.I saw some people talk about how generous tufts is with financial aid. Is this generally true?? I’m working on discussing my award package with the fa office atm. I didn’t expect to get much, but I also didn’t expect to get nothing… They said it’s based on assets which makes me more confused in how I (even w my mom) wasn’t eligible. The school is way too expensive not to get any aid 😭 I’m scared lol
does anyone know when we'll hear about aid?
futurevetgirl1212
Full Member
We received financial aid packages on Saturday -> it went to spam for a lot ofdoes anyone know when we'll hear about aid?
people so check there if you haven’t gotten it
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pommie62856
New Member
I would email them! In my experience the financial aid office responds quick.I guess I missed the deadline for the form to request a financial aid estimate and didn't receive an email on saturday. Is there any way I can still get an estimate.? It's the main thing holding me up on committing.
futurevet28
Full Member
are you guys talking about FAFSA or the Inlclusive Excellence scholarship? Im international and applied and did not get anything 🙁 did everyone get some financial aid?
Also I'm so surprised they don't do recruitment scholarships for first years!?
Also I'm so surprised they don't do recruitment scholarships for first years!?
My estimated financial aid included a "Cummings School Grant", the IS tuition subsidy, and expected federal loans. This all would have come from my FAFSA info and the CSS application.are you guys talking about FAFSA or the Inlclusive Excellence scholarship? Im international and applied and did not get anything 🙁 did everyone get some financial aid?
Also I'm so surprised they don't do recruitment scholarships for first years!?
pommie62856
New Member
Does anyone know if the inclusive excellence scholarships have been rewarded?
futurevetgirl1212
Full Member
someone mentioned they got it on the groupme…not sure if that means the scholarship offers have all been sent out?
The same thing happened to me. I called them and they were very accommodating! I'd just make sure to get your documents ASAPI guess I missed the deadline for the form to request a financial aid estimate and didn't receive an email on saturday. Is there any way I can still get an estimate.? It's the main thing holding me up on committing.
dvmhopeful13
Full Member
Hello. I am curious about the rental market. I started looking online and see that most places in Worcester and neighboring towns have multiple applications already reported in the listing. How competitive is this rental market for Tufts vet students? Also I see a lot of places require that income must be 3 times the rent. That is obviously not going to be the case of a vet student. How does this all work? This would be my first time renting.
futurevetgirl1212
Full Member
I’ve been living in Worcester for the last four years for undergrad and at least in my experience it tends to be competitive (RE: signing up for leases very far in advance) though there is a ton of housing so you should be able to find something just might not be the best location or the cheapest. In terms of the leases that say like 3x income or whatever most people I know co-sign on the leases with their parents or use their parents income when applying, and then pay it themselves. Not exactly sure what people do without a co-signer but maybe it is not taken that seriously? unsureHello. I am curious about the rental market. I started looking online and see that most places in Worcester and neighboring towns have multiple applications already reported in the listing. How competitive is this rental market for Tufts vet students? Also I see a lot of places require that income must be 3 times the rent. That is obviously not going to be the case of a vet student. How does this all work? This would be my first time renting.
Facebook is a rly good resource for housing. I prefer it to websites like apartments.com or any realtor sites, but I am more comfortable living in apartment houses than complexes or buildings and those tend to be more official online I think. There is a Tufts housing fb group where students and landlords post available leases coming up. There is also a group for the general Worcester area. I find the landlords that rent to students (vet or other from surrounding colleges) tend to be more casual/relaxed in their requirements (i.e. no credit check, no income check, allow pets, etc.). I lived in Worcester for undergrad too and it was competitive, but that was for places directly around our campus. In my time looking for Tufts housing I feel like it's been hard only because leases tend to open up a month or two ahead of time, so it was hard finding availability for July/August in March. But the fb group is becoming more active and will likely blow up more closer to summer. Also, when I was renting in Worcester I found a lot of places were much cheaper, but they were also kind grimey feeling. Maybe that was just my experience, though. Do some digging and you'll find your place. Seems like lots of students live in Millbury as well.Hello. I am curious about the rental market. I started looking online and see that most places in Worcester and neighboring towns have multiple applications already reported in the listing. How competitive is this rental market for Tufts vet students? Also I see a lot of places require that income must be 3 times the rent. That is obviously not going to be the case of a vet student. How does this all work? This would be my first time renting.
futurevetgirl1212
Full Member
Yes I second this on the lease timing thing i’ve yet to be able to find a good apartment near the area because everyone keeps saying they want someone to move in April/May
This is not accurate in my experience with my friends who are first years. I was denied but they both got grants last year (unsure of the amount) and one of them had a tuition bill of almost 90k for the first year which included everything in it. It’s hit or missI saw some people talk about how generous tufts is with financial aid. Is this generally true?? I’m working on discussing my award package with the fa office atm. I didn’t expect to get much, but I also didn’t expect to get nothing… They said it’s based on assets which makes me more confused in how I (even w my mom) wasn’t eligible. The school is way too expensive not to get any aid 😭 I’m scared lol
So, I don't have a co-signer or anything like that - I just rent a house with other students that go to Tufts. My landlord didn't require income or anything like that in the lease because they know they're renting to students. I rented a different house first-year that I eventually got priced out of, but they didn't require an income statement or co-signer or anything like that either.Not exactly sure what people do without a co-signer but maybe it is not taken that seriously? unsure
Do you guys have a Facebook group set up for your class yet? And if you search Tufts Housing on facebook there should be groups that pop up as well. There used to be a separate webpage with listings but I think that's been discontinued.Hello. I am curious about the rental market. I started looking online and see that most places in Worcester and neighboring towns have multiple applications already reported in the listing. How competitive is this rental market for Tufts vet students? Also I see a lot of places require that income must be 3 times the rent. That is obviously not going to be the case of a vet student. How does this all work? This would be my first time renting.
Complexes can be significantly different than renting houses/flats in the student neighborhood, though, and that's where people can run into trouble. I know when I was looking for a place a couple of years ago, some complexes were like $2k for a one-bedroom - there are more affordable options that that. And as a heads up, many complexes also have breed restrictions - that's something I ran into with my husky.
When I talked to Suzanne in financial aid I asked if I could be reassessed for grant eligibility in future years should my financial situation change. She said yes and I would have to fill everything out again. So this probably doesn’t answer your question, but I take it that it’s renewable but the amount could change.Does anyone know if grants are renewable for all four years or if it just applies to first years?
Renee Rodriguez
Full Member
I’ll be declining my OOS seat today! I hope someone gets some amazing news soon 🙂 Good luck to all my fellow future vets 🤍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found my housing through the Tufts DVM/MPH housing Facebook group, you just have to be really quick about reaching out. There are often good finds on Facebook Marketplace rentals in my experience, but later move in dates may not be posted yet. My place isn't too far from campus, but I'm bringing my car anyways to get around the area.To all of the people who are accepted to Tufts, how are you all going on with looking for accomodations? Do you recommend any good websites to look for rents? When do you aim to finish this by?
How are you all planning to commute to the school as well?
dvmhopeful13
Full Member
Has anyone received a financial package yet based on FAFSA if you did not file the CSS?
Declining my IS seat for LMU! It’s such a weird feeling to decline the school that has been my top choice FOREVER, but 🤷🏻♀️ hope someone gets good news soon!!🫶🏻
Just declined my IS for UMN! They offered me a scholarship I'd be silly to turn down and I really just fell in love with the program. Super weird feeling as a non-traditional student who moved to Boston specifically to get MA residency for Tufts. Also hoping someone gets some good news soon! 
