Tuskegee c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've heard about students living in Auburn over Tuskegee, but more due to Tuskegee not having things to do. Never heard about safety issues.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm waiting on my interview time before I decide. If it's late in the morning I can just skip the hotel and drive from home :)

I live in Auburn, but I go to Tuskegee. It's about a 20-25 minute drive. I carpool with a girl that happens to live in my mobile home park (totally the way to go, btw!), but I know of another group down the street that also carpools. Same with TU students that live in The Greens, The Reserve, or any other large apartment complex. If you get accepted and added to the C/O 2018 email list, you can get an idea of who's living near you or that is looking for a roommate. If you want to live in Tuskegee, the email list is where you'll start seeing ads for houses available to vet students to rent--they don't really advertise them online.

When you come for your interview, you'll see the differences between the two cities. Take a few minutes to drive around Tuskegee and see the historical sites. It's not really the crime that is the issue--if you want to go to any large grocery store, the gym, dog park, bars, etc. it's all in Auburn.

Also, I made the mistake of thinking I could just pop into a cheap motel (I was totally broke at the time) in Tuskegee and stay the night. Uhhh, get a room at the Kellogg Center or just stay in Auburn.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Auburn, but I go to Tuskegee. It's about a 20-25 minute drive. I carpool with a girl that happens to live in my mobile home park (totally the way to go, btw!), but I know of another group down the street that also carpools. Same with TU students that live in The Greens, The Reserve, or any other large apartment complex. If you get accepted and added to the C/O 2018 email list, you can get an idea of who's living near you or that is looking for a roommate. If you want to live in Tuskegee, the email list is where you'll start seeing ads for houses available to vet students to rent--they don't really advertise them online.

When you come for your interview, you'll see the differences between the two cities. Take a few minutes to drive around Tuskegee and see the historical sites. It's not really the crime that is the issue--if you want to go to any large grocery store, the gym, dog park, bars, etc. it's all in Auburn.

Also, I made the mistake of thinking I could just pop into a cheap motel (I was totally broke at the time) in Tuskegee and stay the night. Uhhh, get a room at the Kellogg Center or just stay in Auburn.
Thanks for the advice! So the Kellogg Center is on campus? Trying to decide whether I want to stay there or at a hotel in Auburn and commute. Of course I have no idea what time my interview will be.

How are the interviews? Any words of advice?

The Kellogg Center is on campus near the entrance. It's a nice little hotel with a Starbucks across the street near the bookstore. It really doesn't matter where you stay to be honest. I saved a bit by just staying at the Econolodge in Auburn and hopped on the freeway in the morning.

Before the interview, a few first or second year students will be hanging out in the waiting area with you to answer any questions. During the interview, you'll sit down with two professors. They're pretty straightforward and you'll be okay as long as you're honest. They'll ask you about bad grades and you'll have a chance to discuss them. It's beneficial really--this gave me a chance to explain why I got a D in community college and some Cs in undergrad. They asked me about my research paper and if there are any areas of veterinary medicine I prefer. One of the professors asked me if I knew what "pathology" was, but I suppose that's because he taught that.

Be prepared for an ethical question. Mine involved a client bringing in a healthy dog that the owner wanted to put down because it reminded him of his wife who had just divorced him. Your clinic is too overwhelmed to find it a new home. Would you euthanize or not? Is it ethical to euthanize? If not, what if the owner takes the dog home and shoots it in the head? Was it your fault? What if you euthanize and the owner kills himself out of regret for his decision? Similarly, a friend of mine was asked if they were driving and there was a baby, a dog, and a tree in a road, which would you hit? While there's not a wrong answer, you have to be able to explain your decision beyond "I don't want to do it." They'll ask your opinion on terminal surgeries, which are still done at Tuskegee.

Altogether, the interview was about 30-45 minutes. It was long, but much less stressful than my LSU interrogation.

Just got an email with my interview time. I am at 9:50 am on the 27.

interview at 9am on the 26th! Hotfillyky....maybe I'll see you there! (btw...HI! I'm new to SDN heh)

12:20 on the 28th... ready to get this over with and get a final answer!

I will be wearing a dark grey suit with black boots. I am a bit older than the norm and I usually am pretty chatty with people :)

Does Tuskegee do a white coat ceremony?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, to those that are taking the animal nutrition or intro to animal science courses, do you know the exact date we need to have them completed? I know it has to be by the end of spring semester but unsure of exact date.. I'll e-mail Amy and ask if no one is for sure.

Oh yes....I'd like to know that too! If you get an answer please share! :)

And Hotfillyky, I'll be on the lookout for a charming person with a gray suit and dark boots! :D

I just emailed Amy to decline my interview invitation after getting accepted elsewhere. Good luck, you guys!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I e-mailed Mr. Elwalid Suliman, and he said we need to have the Animal Nutrition and Intro to Animal Science courses completed by the end of May AND have transcripts sent and received by the end of May.

Anyone have any insight for filing FAFSA and whether there is any benefit in including your parents information? I feel like I heard somewhere that if you do include their information, it makes you eligible for more scholarships?

I just know that at one school I applied to requires parental info on FAFSA unless you are over 30 or married. There are also some other special circumstances where that may be waived, but I would say to include your parents info if you can. And you can always ask the financial aid folks at Tuskegee or wherever you're applying to, but if they're like most other places, they will need parental info to maximize your aid package.

I just know that at one school I applied to requires parental info on FAFSA unless you are over 30 or married. There are also some other special circumstances where that may be waived, but I would say to include your parents info if you can. And you can always ask the financial aid folks at Tuskegee or wherever you're applying to, but if they're like most other places, they will need parental info to maximize your aid package.
I figured I would end up needing to contact the schools financial aid office. Thanks!

Good luck this week everyone! I'll be making my way down on Wednesday for my interview Thursday morning.

Good luck ya'll! I am heading that way today for tomorrow's interview.

I had my interview yesterday, and it was really relaxed and kind of fun. I got to talk with a bunch of different students before I went in which helped keep me calm a lot. Good luck everyone!

Called today to cancel my interview after getting into my top choice. Good luck to everyone else!

Anybody that has already interviewed have any insight/advice?

lol....I wondered the same thing! I was there pretty early this morning. I thought it went just fine. They asked a few questions that took me a bit off guard but nothing terrible. What time was your interview?

Had an amazing experience interviewing at Tuskegee today!

Don't be nervous! It is totally relaxed! They were so nice and comforting that I actually had fun!

If anyone interviewing today (Friday) wants to chat, I'll be the super tall girl.

I had my interview yesterday morning and I think it went really well! It was a very relaxed interview and although I was asked a few questions that threw me off, I felt completely comfortable! I really liked the campus, although the town of Tuskegee made me feel a little uneasy, so I can see why most people recommend living in Auburn. Sucks that we now have more waiting.. Good luck to everyone! And if you're interviewing today, just relax! Be yourself and answer honestly..that's really all you need to do!

lol....I wondered the same thing! I was there pretty early this morning. I thought it went just fine. They asked a few questions that took me a bit off guard but nothing terrible. What time was your interview?

My interview was at 9am so I was there at 8am and sat around talking with people. Were you one of them?! haha

And yes, I totally agree with everyone who said to relax and be honest. My interviewers said they really appreciated that I mentioned flaws in my application in my personal statement because they liked my honesty. They were very nice and I look forward to one day calling them my teachers if I get in! They even remembered the doctor that wrote my letter of recommendation (who is a Tuskegee alumnus) and told me to say hi to her!

Goodluck everyone! :D

My interview was at 9am so I was there at 8am and sat around talking with people. Were you one of them?! haha

And yes, I totally agree with everyone who said to relax and be honest. My interviewers said they really appreciated that I mentioned flaws in my application in my personal statement because they liked my honesty. They were very nice and I look forward to one day calling them my teachers if I get in! They even remembered the doctor that wrote my letter of recommendation (who is a Tuskegee alumnus) and told me to say hi to her!

Goodluck everyone! :D

Could be! I was wearing a dark grey suit with an animal print top. My hair is short (with some grey :(). What were you wearing? I went on the tour with Sam afterwards.

I really loved the current students & my interviewer. Hope I get accepted!

Same here! I had Drs Eljak and Khazal and they were so nice and not-intimidating and I want to be there student if I don't get off the wait list for my IS.

I had Dr. Anderson and Dr. Martin and I really liked them!

I had Dr. Eljak and Dr. Khazal too. I had several scenario type questions. The time flew by!

I had Dr Gilbreath and Webster and they were amazing! I didn't have any really tough questions though which is strange because most everyone else did. Did anyone else have them?