UC Davis c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I the only one who was actually rejected, then later invited for an interview? I'm in state BTW

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who was actually rejected, then later invited for an interview? I'm in state BTW

How did they explain this series of events to you? Or did they not even try?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got rejected via email ... 2/21 ~450p

I'm IS.

Best of luck everyone!

I hate it when I'm right.......

about something I do not like :(

Just got rejected via email ... 2/21 ~450p

I'm IS.

Best of luck everyone!

I am so sorry, pdjy. I really wish you the best of luck for the rest of the cycle. :xf:

I am so sorry, pdjy. I really wish you the best of luck for the rest of the cycle. :xf:

Thank you very much mooshagen ... really!

Fortunately, I have some OOS options.

To everyone invited to interview, crush your interview!!

Thank you very much mooshagen ... really!

Fortunately, I have some OOS options.

To everyone invited to interview, crush your interview!!

Thanks for the support. I'm a not-trad in LA, too. Have we met?? :rolleyes:

The one thing I asked, was not to get a rejection on my birthday. So much for that. Oh well, I'm not actually that sad about it, now I can move on. Sorry to all my fellow rejects, and good luck to all those who got interviews!

Rejection letter at 4:49pm on 02/21/12; IS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my rejection email (IS) at 4:47. At least it is finalized. Now to move on. Hoping my Oregon State alternate status changes for the better.

Finally I can stop checking my email every minute of every day. FTB- maybe we will be classmates at Western ;)

:( Sorry about the rejections, guys!

For others - good luck to those who have interviews tomorrow. Kill 'em with your amazingness!

That's a wrap for me too! Best of :luck: to everyone! I'm headed to FL! :D:cool:

How did they explain this series of events to you? Or did they not even try?

They said a couple spots opened up because some people cancelled their interviews. Kind of weird that I got rejected pretty much before everyone else. I don't care!! It's awesome, I'm excited, I hope it goes well. ...because getting rejected twice in the same year would be messed up!

They said a couple spots opened up because some people cancelled their interviews. Kind of weird that I got rejected pretty much before everyone else. I don't care!! It's awesome, I'm excited, I hope it goes well. ...because getting rejected twice in the same year would be messed up!

This is one of the few cases in life in which the path taken doesn't matter so much, so long as you get there. And you will get there. :luck:

Finally I can stop checking my email every minute of every day. FTB- maybe we will be classmates at Western ;)

Thats exactly how I feel! Its more of a relief now. Maybe I'll see you both at Western :)

Can any current Davis students provide some insight on proper interview attire for the guys? Specifically regarding the need to wear a jacket or not. I was planning on not wearing a full suit, only a nice shirt, tie and suit pants. After all, we're in California. It gets hot. I want to be comfortable for the interview and feel overdressed in a full suit. Am I making a mistake adhering to this perspective? Thanks. :bow:

Can any current Davis students provide some insight on proper interview attire for the guys? Specifically regarding the need to wear a jacket or not. I was planning on not wearing a full suit, only a nice shirt, tie and suit pants. After all, we're in California. It gets hot. I want to be comfortable for the interview and feel overdressed in a full suit. Am I making a mistake adhering to this perspective? Thanks. :bow:

I'd say that most of the guys I've seen heading to their interview are wearing a full suit and tie. I don't think it would be a terrible mistake to not wear a jacket as long as you were dressed professionally. It's not like you plan on showing up in jeans and a t-shirt from your favorite band. ;)

Perhaps a compromise would be to bring the jacket with you and wear it when you enter and greet the interviewers and then take it off and hang it on the back of your chair.

I'd say that most of the guys I've seen heading to their interview are wearing a full suit and tie. I don't think it would be a terrible mistake to not wear a jacket as long as you were dressed professionally. It's not like you plan on showing up in jeans and a t-shirt from your favorite band. ;)

Perhaps a compromise would be to bring the jacket with you and wear it when you enter and greet the interviewers and then take it off and hang it on the back of your chair.

Thanks, Sharon. Of course I went out and bought a nice outfit with dark blue pants, as I felt that black was too formal. Yet all of my suit jackets are black. :eek: Decisions, decisions... I really don't want to have to go out and buy another jacket. :(

Thanks, Sharon. Of course I went out and bought a nice outfit with dark blue pants, as I felt that black was too formal. Yet all of my suit jackets are black. :eek: Decisions, decisions... I really don't want to have to go out and buy another jacket. :(

Go buy black pants instead :D

Black pants + black jacket + black shoes = wedding or funeral, no? :confused:

I saw tons of guys in black suits. Maybe wear a blue or green shirt underneath and then it wouldn't look wedding or funeral-ish at all?? In my opinion at least? I know what you mean about black though. I went with grey to try and be "different"... unfortunately I ended up as part of the majority since all us smart pre-vetters think the same! :D;)

I just thought black pants would be the cheaper route lol... I'm cheap!

I'd agree with Sharon - the guys do tend to be in full suits.
Teach yourself to sew?? ;)

I saw tons of guys in black suits. Maybe wear a blue or green shirt underneath and then it wouldn't look wedding or funeral-ish at all?? In my opinion at least? I know what you mean about black though. I went with grey to try and be "different"... unfortunately I ended up as part of the majority since all us smart pre-vetters think the same! :D;)

I just thought black pants would be the cheaper route lol... I'm cheap!

Since the pants are dark blue, I think I will just bring the black jacket and hope no one notices. Take it off and put it on the back of the chair. Very diplomatic. We're science people, not fashion students. :shrug:

I'd agree with Sharon - the guys do tend to be in full suits.
Teach yourself to sew?? ;)

In the orientation video, Dr. Lefevre made it sound like so long as you don't wear jeans and look professional you will be fine. No belly shirts, either, if I recall correctly. This is obsessive stuff! :help:

100% consensus from guys on our facebook that you should wear a full suit. :) My interviewers were also in full suits if that helps with your decision....

100% consensus from guys on our facebook that you should wear a full suit. :) My interviewers were also in full suits if that helps with your decision....

Thanks!! Ideally, I wish it did not matter whether I wore a jacket or not. However, if that is how we gotta play it, a full suit it shall be. Respect. ;)

Well, I'm glad that's all sorted out :)

G'luck!

I'm assuming some people have already done interviews! How did it go? Or are you not telling :)

Watching the video now.... it makes me SO happy that I'll be up there Friday! I'm so in love :love:

I'm assuming some people have already done interviews! How did it go? Or are you not telling :)

Watching the video now.... it makes me SO happy that I'll be up there Friday! I'm so in love :love:

I can't wait until my interview so I can stop posting on this godforsaken site. The locals are starting to turn on me. :lol:

Hello, all! I had my interview yesterday and it was great! As you probably know, it's open file and a three-interviewer panel. They only interview one person at a time (unlike many other schools where you're one of many interviewing in your time slot). The waiting room was empty when I got there, except for the admissions administrator, who was very nice. She had her little dog there, who was a great cuddler. :) They took my picture before the interview (so look nice!) and then I waited to be shown in.

Overall, it was very relaxed. They introduced themselves first. Then they asked me a few questions related to things I had in my application and all of them seemed genuinely interested in the answers. They also asked me some basic questions about my field of interest (food animal) like where are most of the dairy cows in California? What are some basic vaccinations given to cattle? Simple things. They also asked me a few specific questions about diseases that I didn't know the answers to, but admitting that I was not sure didn't seem to hurt me at all (they always prefaced those with, "Now it's okay if you don't know this, but..."). They joked with me throughout the interview when I said something one of them found funny or disagreed with (I told them I hated my micro lecture but liked lab, and one of them laughed and agreed, "No, but micro sucks. I hate it.").

There wasn't time for me to ask them questions, but the admissions administrator was very friendly and helpful, able to answer the questions I had. I also visited the library (the librarian was very nice and friendly), bookstore, and cafeteria. Overall, I was impressed with the instructional building (I was not able to tour the small animal/large animal facilities) and the facilities in general (much nicer than the last time I was there!).

If you haven't yet interviewed, don't stress out! Enjoy your visit and good luck!

HappyCows, sounds like your interview went really well! Congrats!

Thanks HappyCows!!! This really helps. Hopefully mine will go just as well as yours! Congrats on an A+ interview

Yay happy cows! I had my interview the same day. We probably had the same interviewers. They were incredibly nice, but they asked me a lot of clinical questions. I think because I don't have as much experience as the average applicant. They weren't mean, but just kept asking about each experience. I think they wanted to make sure I was paying attention at each place. It went well, and I really hope I get in.

How did interviews go today?! :)

I will not lie. The interview was a bit more nerve-racking than I had anticipated. Sitting at one end of a rectangular table with 3 extremely brilliant interviewers that must have at least 200 years on this planet among them and letters after their name that I can't even comprehend, was a bit jarring. Nonetheless, they were very reasonable, professional and cordial. A truly positive experience. I only hope that they were even close to an impressed with me as I was with them.

If anyone has any specific questions about my experience, feel free to ask. And best of luck to all... especially me. :clap:

Interview in less than 12 hours and I'm like this

me: "I want to wear the pink shirt"
bf: "then wear the pink shirt...."
me: "are you sure it's not too frilly?"
bf: "not when you button the top button of your jacket."
me: "WHY DO YOU HATE ME???!!!"

cue hysterical tears and hair-pulling. I'm gonna be glad when this is all over...I hope. Plus, going to see the Secret World of Arietty after I'm done. Treat yo' self!

Interview in less than 12 hours and I'm like this

me: "I want to wear the pink shirt"
bf: "then wear the pink shirt...."
me: "are you sure it's not too frilly?"
bf: "not when you button the top button of your jacket."
me: "WHY DO YOU HATE ME???!!!"

cue hysterical tears and hair-pulling. I'm gonna be glad when this is all over...I hope. Plus, going to see the Secret World of Arietty after I'm done. Treat yo' self!

HAHAHA!!! Something I would totally be doing. Are you wearing a full suit?

hey all :)

I had my interview last Friday. Im a guy and i wore a full black suit with a yellowish white shirt and slanted diagonal tie. the interview was nerveracking as they did ask me questions about animal science like about what's a good ram like and some.common disease questions. also i worked through a question with them that i didn't know the answer to off the bat but they hadme think about it and i was able to get the right answer. so they are nice if you don't know an answer. they also asked me an ethical question about convenience euthanasia. we even got.on the subject of food recipes and i shared one of my favorite jalepeno popper recipes. so we had a few laughs and overall it was a very conversational tone. so my advice to everyone is to calm down and just know your app( even little parts) and enjoy it! lets hope a lot of us get in! hope this has helped. oh and Im food animal/poultry interest. :)

I hope my previous post was not perceived as me finding the interview experience to be an unpleasant or overwhelmingly intimidating one. Maybe I was just tired from a long day of rental cars, flights and all. After all, I chose to fly in and out for my interview all within a span of 8 hours on the same day. I also prefer to just walk into situations like this and get the show started. The waiting part just before the actual event is the hard part for me. I am much less anxious once I sit down and can focus on the task at hand. I am sure that colored my experience as well. Overall, the day went as well as I could have hoped. I have always been extremely impressed by the pride displayed by the students at Davis which seems to surface in all that they do. Not just one, but three of their students really extended themselves to making my experience as pleasant as could be. Not because they were assigned to do so. In fact, the volunteer list for interviewee mentors was overbooked quickly, from what I was told. I even had two of their students take time out of their demanding schedules, sitting in the waiting room as I interviewed just to greet me and bid me farewell when I was finished. Can't say enough good things about this school. Best of luck to all with interviews scheduled in the coming weeks. :luck:

I just had my interview this morning :). I think it went okay. It helped me that one of the Doctors on the panel knew one of my LOR writers from school (he giggled a little about their shenanigans). I was surprised how many ethical questions they threw my way! It seemed like every question ended with an ethical dilemma. It was pretty chill though. I know I'm going to think over those questions a hundred thousand times before the end of March actually gets here.

I was really impressed with my mentor as well. She was really nice and showed me to the interview room and then I ate some lunch with her and some other c/o 2015 students. They were so friendly and funny, it made me feel like I belonged :oops:. They were able to answer a lot of my questions. I'm so glad I got a mentor.

Really hope we all get some good news :love:. Especially August...but not really. Mostly me.

I just had my interview this morning :). I think it went okay. It helped me that one of the Doctors on the panel knew one of my LOR writers from school (he giggled a little about their shenanigans). I was surprised how many ethical questions they threw my way! It seemed like every question ended with an ethical dilemma. It was pretty chill though. I know I'm going to think over those questions a hundred thousand times before the end of March actually gets here.

I was really impressed with my mentor as well. She was really nice and showed me to the interview room and then I ate some lunch with her and some other c/o 2015 students. They were so friendly and funny, it made me feel like I belonged :oops:. They were able to answer a lot of my questions. I'm so glad I got a mentor.

Really hope we all get some good news :love:. Especially August...but not really. Mostly me.

Heard a few comments from current students that this year's interviewees seemed especially easy-going and good-humored. Could just have been being polite. But I am envisioning a pretty cool Class of 2016, for what it's worth. And I hope all of us get to be a part of it. :D