UC Davis c/o 2018!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha i guess I spoke to soon! emails are out! lol conrats guys! thats so cool that they show you your waitlist rank... I wish other schools did that!
 
i'm on the waitlist..🙁
i wonder they said they offered 150 offers for 138 positions. Does that mean only 12 persons in waitlist?
 
i'm on the waitlist..🙁
i wonder they said they offered 150 offers for 138 positions. Does that mean only 12 persons in waitlist?

Unfortunately, no. They offered 150 people a seat in the class. That means they assume at least 12 people will decline, which also means those 12 people have to decline their spot before they begin offering seats to those on the waitlist. So position #1 is really #13 (someone correct me if this is no longer the case). But they always dip into the waitlist, so it's not over till it's over!

To everyone accepted, CONGRATS!! I'm a 2013 grad and have mad pride for UC Davis.
 
Unfortunately, no. They offered 150 people a seat in the class. That means they assume at least 12 people will decline, which also means those 12 people have to decline their spot before they begin offering seats to those on the waitlist. So position #1 is really #13 (someone correct me if this is no longer the case). But they always dip into the waitlist, so it's not over till it's over!

To everyone accepted, CONGRATS!! I'm a 2013 grad and have mad pride for UC Davis.

You are correct, 12 will decline before they start pulling from the list.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was waitlisted too.
The portal says my position is 1, so I guess I will be the first one to know once they start dipping into the waitlist?
I will let you guys know once mine changes.
Good luck everyone 🙂
 
Waitlisted. 🙁 I'm super sad. I really wanted to go to Davis. Oh well. Congrats to everyone else! 🙂
Yeah but Davis was (is) my IS. I wanted to be close to my fam and friends. But I guess, it doesn't really matter since I have one acceptance. So I really shouldn't be sad. Bah. *slaps self* I'll get over it.

I feel ya, girl. I was crushed last year when I got waitlisted. Hugs!
 
Congrats, Davis peeps! Especially, Jerseyshoregirl 🙂 Know what's awesome about SDN? Watching us all go through this process together, from start to finish. I recall creating the 'where did you apply' thread way back in June of 2013. Cadisetrama, you were one of the first people to throw your name up there on that board, along with me. I distinctly recall your 'Toph' avatar (from 'Avatar: The Last Airbender). I'm really sorry that Davis didn't work out in your favor, at least for first round acceptances (one never know what the waitlist holds). I like to see folks get what they want. You've got an acceptance to CSU- a first rate school! Don't let this setback get you down!
 
I was waitlisted too.
The portal says my position is 1, so I guess I will be the first one to know once they start dipping into the waitlist?
I will let you guys know once mine changes.
Good luck everyone 🙂

thanks ~~~ u must be able to be in! congrats!
hope to know when they start dipping soon~!
 
I was waitlisted too.
The portal says my position is 1, so I guess I will be the first one to know once they start dipping into the waitlist?
I will let you guys know once mine changes.
Good luck everyone 🙂

Yes. Definitely let us know! I would be very grateful. Thanks mikewazowski. 🙂

I feel ya, girl. I was crushed last year when I got waitlisted. Hugs!

Thanks gugoodoll for the e-hug! And congrats on your acceptance to Cornell! 🙂

Congrats, Davis peeps! Especially, Jerseyshoregirl 🙂 Know what's awesome about SDN? Watching us all go through this process together, from start to finish. I recall creating the 'where did you apply' thread way back in June of 2013. Cadisetrama, you were one of the first people to throw your name up there on that board, along with me. I distinctly recall your 'Toph' avatar (from 'Avatar: The Last Airbender). I'm really sorry that Davis didn't work out in your favor, at least for first round acceptances (one never know what the waitlist holds). I like to see folks get what they want. You've got an acceptance to CSU- a first rate school! Don't let this setback get you down!

Thanks Lab Vet! You're super sweet. 🙂 (Btw, if you couldn't already tell, Toph Beifong's my fav char in ATLAB). I hope you get into your top choices as well. Good luck!
 
Congrats, Davis peeps! Especially, Jerseyshoregirl 🙂 Know what's awesome about SDN? Watching us all go through this process together, from start to finish. I recall creating the 'where did you apply' thread way back in June of 2013. Cadisetrama, you were one of the first people to throw your name up there on that board, along with me. I distinctly recall your 'Toph' avatar (from 'Avatar: The Last Airbender). I'm really sorry that Davis didn't work out in your favor, at least for first round acceptances (one never know what the waitlist holds). I like to see folks get what they want. You've got an acceptance to CSU- a first rate school! Don't let this setback get you down!
thanks lab vet! you are so always so supportive.... i hope you get into your top choices too - which are they btw?

cadiestrama - you should be so proud to have gotten into CSU - that is a huge accomplishment. i'm sure it's statistically harder to get into CSU OOS than Davis IS, so you shouldn't feel discouraged at all! And you never know what will happen with the wait list. i know what it's like to want to stay close to home though... my close ones are counting on my Penn interview (which is tomorrow) even though I think I would be happier at Davis which is 3000 miles away from home!

mikez- congrats on the #1 wait list spot as well! that's a huge feat. also i saw that you got into cornell, so big congrats on that too! they wait listed me 🙂

looking at all of our acceptances/declines/WL, the process really is so arbitrary! it's amazing...
 
thanks lab vet! you are so always so supportive.... i hope you get into your top choices too - which are they btw?

cadiestrama - you should be so proud to have gotten into CSU - that is a huge accomplishment. i'm sure it's statistically harder to get into CSU OOS than Davis IS, so you shouldn't feel discouraged at all! And you never know what will happen with the wait list. i know what it's like to want to stay close to home though... my close ones are counting on my Penn interview (which is tomorrow) even though I think I would be happier at Davis which is 3000 miles away from home!

mikez- congrats on the #1 wait list spot as well! that's a huge feat. also i saw that you got into cornell, so big congrats on that too! they wait listed me 🙂

looking at all of our acceptances/declines/WL, the process really is so arbitrary! it's amazing...

Congrats Jersyshoregirl! did you accept at Davis? Great school...
 
Congrats Jersyshoregirl! did you accept at Davis? Great school...
thanks! not yet... i am still going to go to my Penn interview tomorrow - hopefully I will hear back quickly whether I get in there. Davis and Penn are my top 2 choices. and i may still attend my tufts interview in feb... now i'm not sure! i fell in love with Davis when i was there, so for me it's my #1, but i am also taking into my account my SO's opinion since he will be moving with me.... while on the subject, he would potentially be working in petaluma if i accept davis, so we would be looking for somewhere to move in b/t. is anyone somewhat local to the area and have any advice for where to live? we looked on the map, and picked out fairfield and vacaville as potentials. We passed through both towns when we were there for my interview - vacaville was super cute, but fairfield seemed a little sketchy (but much more affordable)... any thoughts?
 
thanks lab vet! you are so always so supportive.... i hope you get into your top choices too - which are they btw?

That's sweet of you to say 🙂 I have my interview at Utah State on January 22nd and am waiting to hear back from NCSU and Wisconsin (these two don't interview at all). In all honesty, I would be over the moon to attend ANY of these institutions. They are all wonderful schools. My application strategy was to apply only to those institutions I would be 100% willing to attend: Financially, geographically, and with respect to program/curriculum. Should I have the good fortune of having a choice, I will have a difficult decision to make. I'll cross that bridge if and when it comes to that 😉

I completely agree that the admissions process can seem very arbitrary. I'm sure that there is a method behind the madness, but it's difficult to discern from this side of the curtain. These past few months sure have been a crazy ride.
 
Thanks Lab Vet! You're super sweet. 🙂 (Btw, if you couldn't already tell, Toph Beifong's my fav char in ATLAB). I hope you get into your top choices as well. Good luck!

I'm a big ATLAB fan myself. My favorite characters are 'Uncle Iroh' and 'Zuko.' I guess you can say I'm a big fan of the Fire Nation...at least the good guys 😉 Thank you for your well wishes. I'm hoping things turn out for the best.
 
thanks! not yet... i am still going to go to my Penn interview tomorrow - hopefully I will hear back quickly whether I get in there. Davis and Penn are my top 2 choices. and i may still attend my tufts interview in feb... now i'm not sure! i fell in love with Davis when i was there, so for me it's my #1, but i am also taking into my account my SO's opinion since he will be moving with me.... while on the subject, he would potentially be working in petaluma if i accept davis, so we would be looking for somewhere to move in b/t. is anyone somewhat local to the area and have any advice for where to live? we looked on the map, and picked out fairfield and vacaville as potentials. We passed through both towns when we were there for my interview - vacaville was super cute, but fairfield seemed a little sketchy (but much more affordable)... any thoughts?

I lived in Fairfield for a few months and didn't think it was bad/sketchy at all. I also have a couple of friends who live there and they quite like it. Though it's not too interesting (in terms of doing stuff). It's kind of boring and also doesn't have really good food. No real good boba or froyo. It gets super hot and dry in the summer (as does most of CA). However, it is pretty close to SF (well about an hour-drive) and close enough to Point Reyes (2 hr-drive) if you ever want to visit it.

Good luck on your Penn interview! (And Tufts!)

I'm a big ATLAB fan myself. My favorite characters are 'Uncle Iroh' and 'Zuko.' I guess you can say I'm a big fan of the Fire Nation...at least the good guys 😉 Thank you for your well wishes. I'm hoping things turn out for the best.

OMG YES! I LOVE FIRE NATION! I think I really like Uncle Iroh and Azula. HAHA. I used to like Zuko but then... the live action movie ruined it for me (only watched a clip from it).
 
Last edited:
thanks! not yet... i am still going to go to my Penn interview tomorrow - hopefully I will hear back quickly whether I get in there. Davis and Penn are my top 2 choices. and i may still attend my tufts interview in feb... now i'm not sure! i fell in love with Davis when i was there, so for me it's my #1, but i am also taking into my account my SO's opinion since he will be moving with me.... while on the subject, he would potentially be working in petaluma if i accept davis, so we would be looking for somewhere to move in b/t. is anyone somewhat local to the area and have any advice for where to live? we looked on the map, and picked out fairfield and vacaville as potentials. We passed through both towns when we were there for my interview - vacaville was super cute, but fairfield seemed a little sketchy (but much more affordable)... any thoughts?
UPenn is another fantastic institution! I haven't seen the downtown campus, but I did tour New Bolton while I was in undergrad. Very impressive. Are you a large animal/equine person? Davis has it all, of course 😉
 
UPenn is another fantastic institution! I haven't seen the downtown campus, but I did tour New Bolton while I was in undergrad. Very impressive. Are you a large animal/equine person? Davis has it all, of course 😉
I'm small animal (for now, at least).. I actually have zero (and I mean, zero) large animal/equine experience, but I'm excited to get some! I'm excited to visit penn tomorrow because I've never been to the veterinary portion of the campus... I don't think I'll get to see Bolton though since I'm SA. Both great institutions, for sure. I'm not thrilled about Penn being in an urban area... After living in NYC for 2 years, I'm not really a city person anymore.... Hopefully Philly is less high paced, and we would be living in the suburbs anyway. I love everything about Davis from the town and the people to the vetmed program itself though... We'll see! I don't know much about any of the schools you applied to... Somehow out of the 13 schools I applied, none of our schools overlap!

Cadiestrama - that's good to hear about Fairfield! Is there any particular section that you recommend? Thanks so much!
 
I was waitlisted as well. Yeah, I'm a little disappointed to not have done better on the MMI. It was my first ever MMI though, so I'm trying not to be too disappointed...
 
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I was super excited to finally find out! Anyone happen to be a UCD student? We should have a party/celebration downtown!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted. 🙁 I'm super sad. I really wanted to go to Davis. Oh well. Congrats to everyone else! 🙂
I'm pulling for you!! I've been stalking the CSU and Tufts pages just to see what's going on out there and I've seen your name on floating around! You're amazing and I know everything will work out for you!! Keep us updated on your waitlist position 🙂
 
Unfortunately, no. They offered 150 people a seat in the class. That means they assume at least 12 people will decline, which also means those 12 people have to decline their spot before they begin offering seats to those on the waitlist. So position #1 is really #13 (someone correct me if this is no longer the case). But they always dip into the waitlist, so it's not over till it's over!

To everyone accepted, CONGRATS!! I'm a 2013 grad and have mad pride for UC Davis.
That's disappointing... I'm kind of far down on the waitlist already 🙁. I wonder how far down the waitlist they usually go. Their message said about 30 people declined last year, but I wonder if everyone on the waitlist will choose to stay on the waitlist.

Davis seems like an amazing school. Congrats to everyone who got in!
 
I'm small animal (for now, at least).. I actually have zero (and I mean, zero) large animal/equine experience, but I'm excited to get some! I'm excited to visit penn tomorrow because I've never been to the veterinary portion of the campus... I don't think I'll get to see Bolton though since I'm SA. Both great institutions, for sure. I'm not thrilled about Penn being in an urban area... After living in NYC for 2 years, I'm not really a city person anymore.... Hopefully Philly is less high paced, and we would be living in the suburbs anyway. I love everything about Davis from the town and the people to the vetmed program itself though... We'll see! I don't know much about any of the schools you applied to... Somehow out of the 13 schools I applied, none of our schools overlap!

Cadiestrama - that's good to hear about Fairfield! Is there any particular section that you recommend? Thanks so much!

Edit:
To be honest, I don't know much about Fairfield. I only went out a couple of times I was there. It's a little sketch at night. Cordelia and Green Valley aren't too bad. It all depends on what you're used to... But it's definitely shadier, both figuratively and literally, relatively speaking. The best thing to do is to visit the area yourself (for a longer period of time) and perhaps talk to the current locals? and see if it's safe enough for you.

I'm pulling for you!! I've been stalking the CSU and Tufts pages just to see what's going on out there and I've seen your name on floating around! You're amazing and I know everything will work out for you!! Keep us updated on your waitlist position 🙂

Thanks PhatHippo49 and congrats on your acceptance to Davis! 😀
 
Last edited:
Congrats to those accepted and best of luck to those on the wait list and those who haven't heard anything yet. Can't wait to see some of you rotate through the clinic as first years!
 
Ok so now that I've been accepted into both it's UPenn vs UC Davis for me... I am completely torn since I love both programs. I'm OOS for both but Penn will turn out to be about 100k more over 4 years. Penn is ideal for my SO since we are from NJ and it would be nice to stay close of friends and family. Davis would be an adventure and I fell in love with the program and the town while I was there! Does anyone have any advice that will help make my decision easier? Any current Davis students??
 
Ok so now that I've been accepted into both it's UPenn vs UC Davis for me... I am completely torn since I love both programs. I'm OOS for both but Penn will turn out to be about 100k more over 4 years. Penn is ideal for my SO since we are from NJ and it would be nice to stay close of friends and family. Davis would be an adventure and I fell in love with the program and the town while I was there! Does anyone have any advice that will help make my decision easier? Any current Davis students??


Congrats!
just choose one by instinct!
 
Ok so now that I've been accepted into both it's UPenn vs UC Davis for me... I am completely torn since I love both programs. I'm OOS for both but Penn will turn out to be about 100k more over 4 years. Penn is ideal for my SO since we are from NJ and it would be nice to stay close of friends and family. Davis would be an adventure and I fell in love with the program and the town while I was there! Does anyone have any advice that will help make my decision easier? Any current Davis students??

UC Davis. and not because I go here. 100k is a TON OF MONEY. There is absolutely no reason to take out that much more. Seriously. This isn't even a question!

(FYI - an extra 100k is ADDING $1,000/month to your repayment amount - that is $12,000/year - HUGE)
 
Last edited:
I agree with heylodeb. Both TAMU and Davis are considered in state for me. As much as I love Davis (the town itself, the location, the school, the program, the people), and as much as I want to be close to my family (20 minutes), I would go to TAMU because of the $100k difference in tuition. It's not even a question in my mind.
 
Ok so now that I've been accepted into both it's UPenn vs UC Davis for me... I am completely torn since I love both programs. I'm OOS for both but Penn will turn out to be about 100k more over 4 years. Penn is ideal for my SO since we are from NJ and it would be nice to stay close of friends and family. Davis would be an adventure and I fell in love with the program and the town while I was there! Does anyone have any advice that will help make my decision easier? Any current Davis students??

I think that I kind of agree with Chenolay. You can always flip a coin and assign one side to a school and the other side to the other school and by the time it falls and lands, you probably already know what school you actually want to go to (regardless what side it lands on).

I do agree that tuition/money is important though since 100K is a big difference. And because you love Davis' program, school and town (do you like the city that Penn is in?), I think you should consider going to Davis, especially since it'll only be 4 years and you can always go back to the East Coast in the future. I am biased towards Davis but I think if you consider Davis as an adventure, it would be good for you. 🙂

Of course, you should also discuss it over with your SO.

Edit:
If you think you'll be happier in Davis, I would say go for Davis. If you think you'll be happier at UPenn, then go to UPenn.

Saying that, I just looked at what people posted in the UPenn thread.. and I also think what they posted also makes sense. The amount you pay for tuition/fees also depends on how much financial aid each school gives.
 
Last edited:
Ok so now that I've been accepted into both it's UPenn vs UC Davis for me... I am completely torn since I love both programs. I'm OOS for both but Penn will turn out to be about 100k more over 4 years. Penn is ideal for my SO since we are from NJ and it would be nice to stay close of friends and family. Davis would be an adventure and I fell in love with the program and the town while I was there! Does anyone have any advice that will help make my decision easier? Any current Davis students??
Davis! In the words of a first year student going there, "it is the Hogwarts for animal lovers." If that isn't convincing enough, I myself will be there, and with no friends in the area either, we can commiserate in our lack of friends together :laugh:
 
I was waitlisted too.
The portal says my position is 1, so I guess I will be the first one to know once they start dipping into the waitlist?
I will let you guys know once mine changes.
Good luck everyone 🙂

did anyone's position on the waitlist change tonight? mine got pushed in the wrong direction (pushed to a higher # 🙁 ) and i'm wondering why/if this happened to anyone else
 
did anyone's position on the waitlist change tonight? mine got pushed in the wrong direction (pushed to a higher # 🙁 ) and i'm wondering why/if this happened to anyone else
Ugh mine got doubled and plus some lol it must be a mistake!
 
did anyone's position on the waitlist change tonight? mine got pushed in the wrong direction (pushed to a higher # 🙁 ) and i'm wondering why/if this happened to anyone else
Mine did too! It almost doubled for me as well, so maybe there's something weird going on with their portal. That would be really odd for a school to move people the wrong way on the waitlist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS.
GPAs: Overall-3.74, Science- 3.83, Last 45-3.81
GRE: Quant-161, Verbal-160, Analytical-5
Vet hours (small animal) ~4200, Research hours (wildlife) ~ 200

I'M SO SCARED FOR MMI. :bigtears: I found myself staring at two necklaces in a store yesterday for 15 minutes trying to decide the pros and cons of each, and analyzing what each one "said" about me. This process is driving me to insanity.

Don't fret it. Just give yourself adequate time to prepare with practice scenarios. If you need a good MMI book to help you develop a framework to the MMIs and with practice scenarios check out the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) for the Mind prepbook. It's primarily geared towards premed students but effective for prevet students too. Google or search it on Amazon.