UC Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know about UC Riverside? Is it a good/bad undergrad school? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I read that they're trying to open a medical school for UCR! They plan to finalize the proposal this summer.

really? do u have a link to an article?

Members don't see this ad :)
dr_keki said:
I read that they're trying to open a medical school for UCR! They plan to finalize the proposal this summer.

wow! any idea of when it would open?

at my ucsd interview, the dean told us that they are planning on opening the entering 2007 classes for each UC med campus by about 10%, including new PRIME programs. I guess this is going to be the hardest year to get into the UC med schools, but I also think its about time that they opened up some more spots.

Sorry, dont have a link to it. I saw this about a week ago in the LA Times.

It's true that there are plans for a UCR med school in the future. The four years of medical school for the UCR Biomed program would most likely occur at UCR, rather than having the clinical years be completed at UCLA.

didn't know that UCR might get a med school in the future.

but does anybody have anything to say about UCR's undergrad program??

Hi,

My brother goes to UCR. Most of the students there HATE it. The social life is pretty lame because the majority of the students go home for the weekend.

A lot of people think of UCR as a low-tier UC school.

The campus is really nice! So are (some) dorms!

bpost137 said:
didn't know that UCR might get a med school in the future.

but does anybody have anything to say about UCR's undergrad program??

my sister goes there and she says that because of the Biomed program with UCLA the pre-med program is pretty competitve

anystream said:
my sister goes there and she says that because of the Biomed program with UCLA the pre-med program is pretty competitve

im confused, the 7-yr program w/ucla is different than the regular 4-yr undergrad premed route. so the premed program may be competetive, but it cant be bc of the biomed program bc u have to apply to get in the biomed.

anystream said:
My counselor recommended UC Riverside because UCR has some sort of premed program where you can easily get into UCLA med school or something. Is the 7yr biomed program what he is referring to? I don't think I'd be eligible for that since I'll be a transfer student.

My CC has a program that guarantees transfer admission into some UC schools (as well as CSU), such as UC Davis, UCSB, UCR, and a few others (no UCI unless you're in some honors program, and no UCLA).

I thought UC Davis might be a good choice, then my counselor told me about UCR. I'm going to apply to UCLA, UCI, and Stanford anyway, but if I don't get accepted, I'll have UC Davis to fall back on.

bpost137 said:
My counselor recommended UC Riverside because UCR has some sort of premed program where you can easily get into UCLA med school or something. Is the 7yr biomed program what he is referring to? I don't think I'd be eligible for that since I'll be a transfer student.

My CC has a program that guarantees transfer admission into some UC schools (as well as CSU), such as UC Davis, UCSB, UCR, and a few others (no UCI unless you're in some honors program, and no UCLA).

I thought UC Davis might be a good choice, then my counselor told me about UCR. I'm going to apply to UCLA, UCI, and Stanford anyway, but if I don't get accepted, I'll have UC Davis to fall back on.

the UCR 7 year biomed program is fairly easy to get into but extremely hard to stay in...the program is very competitive but UCR itself is a pretty poor school imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone in it and it is in fact quite competitive. UCR is also widely regarded as the worst of the UC's.

jeffsleepy said:
I know someone in it and it is in fact quite competitive. UCR is also widely regarded as the worst of the UC's.

thats pretty subjective, worst in what, academics? santa cruz, santa barbara, merced (haha, jk about last one) have lower academic standards according to incoming freshman gpa/acceptance rate...

Uhm.. before considering UCR, try visiting Riverside... many people (ok, me) finds it an incredibly depressing area, and would never want to live there.

I live in Redlands, which is near Riverside.

Put it this way, UCR offered me a scholarship to attend there for undergrad but I said hell no and ran off to UCLA =P

jtank said:
thats pretty subjective, worst in what, academics? santa cruz, santa barbara, merced (haha, jk about last one) have lower academic standards according to incoming freshman gpa/acceptance rate...

Yeah, my comment was based purely on academics since I've never actually been to Riverside. But unlike medical schools, which have more or less similar standards, the academic difference between UCR and an upper tier UC is huge. I can easily see people choosing between Berkeley, LA, and SD based on non-academic factors, but IMO you would need a really good reason to go to UCR and the direct path to UCLA isn't it.

My bro brought me the UCR newspaper to show me the med school info in it. If i remember correctly, they said they are going to make a joint program with UCLA...

bpost137 said:

I would not necessarily consider UC Davis as a school to fall back on because it is a really good academic science school. UCLA is big and confusing, and although there are great opportunities there as well, UC Davis has the BEST internship and career center of all the UCs. Just thought you should know

Jaydiggity21 said:
I would not necessarily consider UC Davis as a school to fall back on because it is a really good academic science school. UCLA is big and confusing, and although there are great opportunities there as well, UC Davis has the BEST internship and career center of all the UCs. Just thought you should know
Interesting. Did you go to UC Davis?

At least UCLA has good sports teams =D

Pewl said:
I live in Redlands, which is near Riverside.

Put it this way, UCR offered me a scholarship to attend there for undergrad but I said hell no and ran off to UCLA =P

Lol, same here. I'm from Redlands, and UCR offered me money, but I became a Bruin instead. :D

bpost137 said:

Yes, he's referring to the 7-year program. He's mistaken in thinking that it's an easy program, though. It starts out with ~200 students and is narrowed down to 24 who will end up at UCLA SoM.

Also, it is no longer a 7-year program. It is now an 8-year program.

Pewl said:
At least UCLA has good sports teams =D

this year atleast...UCLA had crappy teams the past few years

thanks for this thread. i too was trying to chose which uc to go to. other than ucla and davis which other uc's are considered good all things considered? how is uc santa barbara?

docknyn said:
thanks for this thread. i too was trying to chose which uc to go to. other than ucla and davis which other uc's are considered good all things considered? how is uc santa barbara?

berkeley obviously.
i like irvine too, but im biased =p
it really doesnt matter which uc u go to as long as u get a good gpa there.
but let me just say ucsb contains more hot girls than u know what to do with. ;)

bpost137 said:
Interesting. Did you go to UC Davis?
I am going to Davis right now, actually have an interview at their medical school on monday...I love the school and would recommend it to any wanna be MDs, because they have great networking opportunities (internships/research/etc)

Jaydiggity21 said:
I am going to Davis right now, actually have an interview at their medical school on monday...I love the school and would recommend it to any wanna be MDs, because they have great networking opportunities (internships/research/etc)
I know Davis is one of the better UC schools and is one of my top choices. If I don't get into UCLA or Stanford, I'd still be happy to have guarrenteed admission into Davis. Like I said before, one reason I want to go to UCLA is because it offers a Physiological Science major. What Davis like? Lots of back-stabbing premeds? :)

I attended UCR for an entire year, which was horrible. I felt like I had wasted it when I transfered. The classes were huge and little was learned. Played games, hung out with friends, volunteer in student government and in the community definitely, but little in the way of learning things.
Many professors at UCR were awful, especially in the Department of Mathematics. I found some exemplary ones, there are some wherever you go, and UCR is no exception. However, Riverside has only a few, whereas many of the other schools I've attended (including Cal State LB) have impressed me with one after another.
In the end, as with almost everything else, visit! If you enjoy the environment, that's what's most impt. But do go during a normal day of class and check it out, you'll get a better feel for it.
Best of luck!