UCONN News, Acceptances, and Waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does UCONN send acceptances by email? do they call? snail mail? anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

i received my acceptance from UConn via snail mail only, but skimming through this discussion, I also noticed that someone received an email from dr. sanford. good luck!

I found out through a friend who goes to UConn med school now that they haven't yet prioritized the wait list - as of probably a week and a half ago they were still interviewing people! So I was told by Linda Fox, who works with Dr. Sanford in some capacity.

It does say on UConn's website that they will try and give you as good an estimation as they can once the waitlist is prioritized as to where you fall on it.

Oh and I have discovered that if you want to talk to someone about your application, call her (Linda) rather than Sanford. Maybe you all figured this out already, but he seemingly never answers his phone - I tried to call him a bunch of times and didn't get through once. He probably saved me on his caller ID and now i'll never get through. Linda I called once and she picked up. Her number is here:

http://studentservices.uchc.edu/admissions/index.html

Good luck to everybody.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know UCONN's last interview date? I spoke to Linda at admissions today, who said she wasn't sure.

I just talked to Lynda(who really is super helpful). She says that Dr.Sanford should have a list ready in the next two weeks which is when he plans on sending out emails to everyone. Apparently they are still looking at applicants who interviewed back in January. Hang in there everyone :)

thanks for the update! i'm losing my mind with the wait so it's good to know an end is in sight.

I know how you feel- I'm one of the people who interviewed back in January and I still haven't heard anything!

UConn Second Look weekend for accepted students was last weekend. Wouldn't this mean that they have already accepted all of their students that are not going to be on the waitlist?

UConn Second Look weekend for accepted students was last weekend. Wouldn't this mean that they have already accepted all of their students that are not going to be on the waitlist?

yeah apparently, because I just found out that I'm waitlisted

Your application for admission to the University of Connecticut School of Medicine has been carefully reviewed by our Admissions Committee. We regret to inform you that we are not able to offer you a place in our 2009 entering class.
You can be confident that the decision on your application was made with careful attention to your academic record, MCAT performance, extracurricular activities, and letters of recommendation. Rest assured that your application received a thorough, sensitive, and judicious review. We received over 2,750 applications this year; selecting 85 students from this pool necessitates a complicated and time consuming effort on the part of our faculty and staff. While many of the applicants are judged by the committee to be well qualified and capable of completing the medical school program, the final selection remains especially difficult.
If you would like to discuss your credentials, you may call and set up a convenient time for us to meet after May 15th at 860-679-4306, or you may email me at [email protected]. Due to the volume and pace of activities in this admission cycle, I have not been able to complete individual communications with each and every applicant during the review process. We do appreciate your interest in our program and wish you success in your future plans.
Sincerely,
Keat Sanford, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean - Medical Student Affairs and Admissions
University of Connecticut School of Medicine

:(

keat just emailed me and said they "had been delayed" but "expect a firmer decision on applicant status by the end of April". fingers crossed.

keat just emailed me and said they "had been delayed" but "expect a firmer decision on applicant status by the end of April". fingers crossed.

Are you that optimistic or desperate? Really? UConn is a alright school and all, but is it worth the stress?

Oh, Hummm. They're denying me - an in-state student of 30 years. NO state love, and all I have to say is, "Thank you." I'll love going to school in NYC and spending my TAX dollar$ there. Farmington is not that great of a hospital. St. Fran or HH are better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this thread alive??? Has anyone heard anything good, bad, or indifferent??
I sent an email asking Dr. Sanford about my spot on the alternate list last week and haven't heard a thing since.

Anyone else?

there were some 150 applicants in the hold/alternate list file to be reviewed as of two weeks ago

decisions were supposed to be made last week and this week (Tuesdays)

people should hear something toward the end of this week

that's all I've got

there were some 150 applicants in the hold/alternate list file to be reviewed as of two weeks ago

that's all I've got

Does decisions mean whether to reject or put you on waitlist? or does this just mean the ranking of the waitlist? I'm still confused by this Hold/alternate nomenclature

that's all I've got

Does decisions mean whether to reject or put you on waitlist? or does this just mean the ranking of the waitlist? I'm still confused by this Hold/alternate nomenclature

It usually means the ranking of the waitlist.

ADCOM will meet next Tuesday evening to make decisions again.

We should hear about alternate list placement or possible rejections within the next few days (last year, I got an email on Friday so maybe some of us will hear tomorrow).

Interviews are over for the season.

Many of us will not hear until some time in May.

Acceptances are unlikely to be given any time soon. Several (lucky) people may get in between May and August.

Many people called the admissions office to ask about status this week, but no decisions were given.

Dr. Sanford emailed to say that they should have "firmer" word from the committee by the end of the month regarding Alternate status...
so by Thursday?????

The ADCOM should be meeting again tonight. They meet on Tuesdays.

I haven't heard from the ADCOM yet about my status on the alternate list... I'm not sure what to think.

Has anyone heard anything yet? They definitely met yesterday.

Nothing yet. Believe me, I'll be posting when I do hear anything.

I think we will get emails from Sanford on Friday.

Do any In-Stater's mind sharing their stats? If you don't want to post, PM me it would be much appreciated!:)
Good luck guys!

Nothing for me either, but I'm not surprised!

Hi, Has anyone gotten their financial aid package? Loreen

Loreen,
I think most of us on this thread haven't even gotten notification (accept,reject,alternate list spot) since months ago. You may be more successful asking on the allopathic thread for UCONN Class of 2013.
Or try facebook.

Just got notification of high alternate hold. What are the odds of acceptance given a high alternate status?

I just talked to Sanford and he said the emails are going out today and tomorrow about the High/Med/Low status for alternate/waitlist

Just got notification of high alternate hold. What are the odds of acceptance given a high alternate status?

The odds are pretty high. You are in, as long as someone declines his or her offer, which is likely to happen around May 15 and then again throughout the summer as applicants are given better offers and give up their other spots. Of course, there are many people like you. 20? 30? 40?

You may want to search through earlier posts in this thread. Last year (or even 2 years ago), someone posted some information about the number of people in each third of the list. I suspect it's similar this year.

Good luck.

Anyone know how many people are actually on the wait list?

middle alternate status for me...
sounds like a rejection
: (

it just doesn't make sense...

I'm in Middle-Alternate purgatory, too
I would venture to say that the trends from previous years are even more irrelevant given the state of the economy. Who in their right mind would turn down a UConn acceptance anyway? :p

Who in their right mind would turn down a UConn acceptance anyway? :p

1) someone with high MCAT and GPA with a full ride scholarship to their preferred choice.
2) an out of stater accepted to his or her state school
3) someone with partial scholarship from another school he or she preferred over UCONN

Is it a bad sign if we don't hear from Keat today? when do you think he's finished sending out today's emails and when will he start tomorrow's batch? If we don't get an email from him tomorrow, should we assume rejection?

You heard a long time ago that you were placed on the alternate list. So you are not in the group of people who waited for months to hear. Looks to me that you were not supposed to hear today.

If back then, you were informed about hold/alternate placement, you will most likely hear tomorrow.

Don't assume anything. Just wait like everyone else.

I got the Mid-Alternate List email today. What did everyone's email say, specifically? Mine says "we often go into the middle third of our list...". Is that true??? Or should I just plan on elsewhere?​

I got the Mid-Alternate List email today. What did everyone's email say, specifically? Mine says "we often go into the middle third of our list...". Is that true??? Or should I just plan on elsewhere?​

you can never be sure, but it seems like thats giving a little false hope. From past year's threads it doesn't seem like the middle list was even reached not to mention no one knows where they rank on these lists or how long they are- sorry to be a debby downer

just withdrew, even though was on the lower list, hopefully it helps somebody out there. no in-state love, hopefully they're not passing on a lot of us connecticutians so that they can collect more tuition in the weak economy. good luck to all you guys still waiting.

little late to post, but I found out yesterday that I too am a middle alternate. alas. good luck to us all.

DavidLee4MVP, how could you not have been accepted? UConn admissions committe is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.