UCONN News, Acceptances, and Waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Has anyone gotten their financial aid package? Loreen

Hello Loreen,

I have not received from financial aid yet. You're not alone.

Members don't see this ad.

ncb, i was kind of surprised by the whole thing (thought i was pretty competitive there especially being an in-stater), but i think it's cause i had a drinking violation in college. that might have turned them off. who knows with these things though, i may have just rubbed my interviewer the wrong way. it's frustrating to lose the potential in-state tuition, but it's such a random process. hope all you guys get in, it seems like a great place with some really good teams if you're a college sports fan.

Thanks, Karen. These threads were really helpful :) I guess we all need to hang in there till June 1st to know our exact rankings, but I am hopeful there will be waitlist movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am new to the forum. So based on the trend from previous years, they don't usually make it through the whole high alternate list?

As far as I know, they didn't go through the whole high alternate list last year and two years ago. Keep in mind that some high alternate candidates may no longer be interested in UCONN or they may be accepted and going elsewhere without letting UCONN know. This would work in our favor.

If past trends can predict current trends, we can say that if you are in the middle of the alternate list, make other plans.

If we can assume things to be random, then two years of little alternate list movement suggests we should see a lot of movement at some point -- perhaps this year?

If you are on the low alternate list, I say forget about getting an acceptance this year. Move on the to the next cycle or move to go to school elsewhere.
Middle -- make other plans because you will most likely not get in, but ... (!) you never know what's going to happen especially if you are close to the top of the middle alternate list. If you are about 15 positions down the list as you may find out in June (ranking), your chances are very very low.

High -- the odds seem in your favor, especially if you are close to the top of the list.

Guessing, guessing, guessing.

By the way, schools are supposed to work with each other and communicate about who is accepted where (True after March 1st). Do they and would it be relevant? Maybe.

Karen thx for posting all the info about acceptance. Good luck to all of us still waiting to hear.

I keep forgetting how small UCONN's class is, would anybody mind letting me know if I am wasting my time?

I graduated high school in CT about 5 years ago, but am no longer a state resident. Have around a 3.7 GPA and 35 MCAT.

Do I have somewhat of a chance because of prior residency?

**Edit***
Ugh, after looking further through the thread it looks like my stats have little chance in comparison to some of the in-staters getting waitlisted/rejected. Would have liked to return to Connecticut, even if only for an interview but it sounds like I'll just be wasting my money in the end. Thankfully I moved to a 'better' state with more schools.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting how small UCONN's class is, would anybody mind letting me know if I am wasting my time?

I graduated high school in CT about 5 years ago, but am no longer a state resident. Have around a 3.7 GPA and 35 MCAT.

Do I have somewhat of a chance because of prior residency?

**Edit***
Ugh, after looking further through the thread it looks like my stats have little chance in comparison to some of the in-staters getting waitlisted/rejected. Would have liked to return to Connecticut, even if only for an interview but it sounds like I'll just be wasting my money in the end. Thankfully I moved to a 'better' state with more schools.

I would say you have a chance as an out of state applicant with great numbers. Having a connection to the state might work slightly in your favor, I think, because you may be able to satisfactorily show that you would like it here in CT. The selection process is difficult to understand because high numbers are not everything, but they are generally required (unless your presence in the class will make UCONN look more diverse, which is among the school's goals). Everyone will tell you that you need "more." And then no one will tell you exactly what this "more" is. Think of the admission cycle as a lottery. With your numbers, chances are high that you would enter the drawing. If you get invited to the interview, it means your name will be somewhere among hundreds of others that qualified for the drawing. Some applicants have an easier job getting in because of important personal connections (like everywhere else). Others have to win "the lottery" to gain acceptance. Things will change eventually, but who has time to wait until it is less competitive again.

Of course, I do not think that anyone actually draws ballots there, but it may be helpful to think of the process in terms of a lottery.

I agree, this whole admission thing in general (not just UConn) seems more or less a lottery especially once you get the interview.

Frustrating, but I guess everybody else has to go through it too

Thanks for your feedback. I don't think I'd add much diversity to the class anyway, I think I'll just apply to UVM instead...I think my luck would be better there

I agree, this whole admission thing in general (not just UConn) seems more or less a lottery especially once you get the interview.

Frustrating, but I guess everybody else has to go through it too

Thanks for your feedback. I don't think I'd add much diversity to the class anyway, I think I'll just apply to UVM instead...I think my luck would be better there

I don't know your individual situation, but if I were you, I wouldn't eliminate UCONN based on your numbers because they are actually very competitive. If you can afford to, you should probably apply to both state schools (in addition to 10 or so other programs). I am assuming you now reside in Vermont.
Once again, your MCAT + GPA are very high. Congratulations.

I don't know your individual situation, but if I were you, I wouldn't eliminate UCONN based on your numbers because they are actually very competitive. If you can afford to, you should probably apply to both state schools (in addition to 10 or so other programs). I am assuming you now reside in Vermont.
Once again, your MCAT + GPA are very high. Congratulations.

I actually am a resident of Texas now...i just hear Vermont is very OOS friendly and I figure can whip out my New England ties to justify myself there.

Thanks for the encouragement...maybe I will apply, I guess the only guaranteed way I wont get in is if I don't even apply.

I actually am a resident of Texas now...i just hear Vermont is very OOS friendly and I figure can whip out my New England ties to justify myself there.

Thanks for the encouragement...maybe I will apply, I guess the only guaranteed way I wont get in is if I don't even apply.

When you said that you now live in a "better" state, I thought --
Florida, Ohio or Texas.

I think Texas is actually the best. Vermont seems more OOS friendly than Uconn. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone off the alternate list yet?

Nothing from my end. I think we won't hear anything until at least May 15th. Keeping my fingers crossed that a lot of people will forego their UConn acceptances that day.

yeah, i hope so too. i'm gearing up to apply again - definitely not going to count on my middle alternate status, but hey, there's always a chance!

Karen - what's your status? are you high alternate like whatnow?

well, i hope you come off the list soon whatnow! maybe they'll get to some middle alternates this year. i'm gearing up to apply again - not going to count on getting off the list.

Karen - what is your status? are you high alternate with whatnow?

good luck everyone.

oh weird - sorry for the double post - it told me the first one didn't go through.

Does anyone know how much merit aid does UConn typically gives out?

Any news, guys? May 15th has come and passed. I wonder how many accepted students chose UConn definitively on Friday.

From looking at previous years' threads, it seems that there are about 20-30 people in the high alternate list. Even if UConn's retention rate is as high as 80%, that means that as many as 17 out of the 85 seats may not be filled. Hence, the likelihood of getting in if we're on the high alternate list may be as high as 57- 85%.

I'm clearly rationalizing as much as possible to keep myself going, but I can't help it. Waiting till June 1st for the ranking of the list is so frustrating.

The first acceptance off the waitlist on SDN last year was May 21st. Any day now...

Apparently, according to Lynda, the committee is meeting one more time on the 26th (this Tuesday) to rank the list. She couldn't tell me how many people were in each tier. Dr.Sanford will be sending out an email to all of us by June 1st. I'll call her back on Wednesday to see if she has anymore info. Hang in there guys!

Thanks for the update. Seems like they are taking extra long this year.

Hey Guys,
So I just wanted to let you all know that the waitlist is moving! I was on the high alternate list and received an email today from Dr. Sanford saying I had a spot! Goodluck to everyone!

Congratulations! And thanks for letting us know that the waitlist is moving. Good luck everyone :)

Does anyone know how much merit aid does UConn typically gives out?

I wonder that myself. I have read on earlier threads a posting from someone who got a scholarship...mostly I have seen need-based (I think) grants. You should contact the financial aid office via email (I have never gotten ahold of them by phone). I have emailed all three fin aid ppl at once and then usually one of them will get back to you w/in a few days.

I've dropped my UConn acceptance.

I really hope one of y'all gets the spot! Good luck guys! :)

Could someone enlighten me on when the first day of classes is at UConn? I might have missed it but I couldn't really find this info on their website.

I don't have my acceptance yet, but I'm sure they accepted some people from the high alternate list.

Anyone hear anything from the admissions office about where they are on the list?

No, I don't have this information. Anyone else?

Expect the school to be reluctant in giving you exact numbers. Eventually (mid July), you may get something like, "you are about 20 positions down the middle alternate list" --- several people will get such message

You may officially be # 15 or # 20, but your position most likely will not be rigid because the school has to meet certain requirements in their student body (so I was told). For instance, if two people from background X decline a spot and the school needs to have people from background X, candidates from background Y might be pushed down the list whereas those from background X will move up, changing the rank.

Last year, some knew that they were "#1" or "#5" on the high alternate list and as the summer weeks went by, they got accepted.

I'm on the high alternate list. I emailed to ask if they could tell me my rank within the list since June 1st has passed and the reply I got back didn't give my rank but stated that they are getting close to my position. Anyone else hear something similar?

They are annoyingly vague in giving out information (not that I'm surprised).

Could someone enlighten me on when the first day of classes is at UConn? I might have missed it but I couldn't really find this info on their website.

I recently received my welcome packet. According to the mailing, the first day of orientation is Thursday August 20th 2009, the white coat ceremony is Friday August 21st and the convocation is Monday August 24th and the first day of classes is Tuesday August 25th at 8 am --> :(

I can't wait to start!

Thanks for the info.

I can't wait to get my acceptance letter.

Waitlist is definitely moving. I got accepted from the high alternate list yesterday! I am so excited and can't wait to start!!

Congratulations and thanks for posting.

How did you find out?

got my acceptance today via snailmail. I'm very excited. good luck to all!!

Congrats to those recently accepted, especially Karen12345! We all know you worked hard to get to where you are. Celebrate!

An aside, anyone from previous application cycles know if the June 15th date to email Dr. Sanford will provide us with any valuable information as to where we stand on the list? Just curious. I'm middle alternate list which doesn't really look favorable, but I still want to know.

i checked in with keat about my middle alternate status and how the list was moving and all he said was to check back in mid-july....nothing new

i checked in with keat about my middle alternate status and how the list was moving and all he said was to check back in mid-july....nothing new

I'm going to echo the same thing with the addition that he also mentioned to me that they're still in the top 1/3 of the list.

Question for all of you who have ever reapplied:
Since the essay questions haven't changed in the secondary app is it ok to use your same answers? I really don't think the quality of my secondary had anything to do with the waitlist decision but I also don't know if recycling my answers will reflect poorly. I thought they were well written and thoughtful and still hold true for this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.