UCONN News, Acceptances, and Waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UConn sent me an invitation for their annual Second Look Weekend on April 3rd and 4th. Seems like a really cool program. Anyone on here going to go?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure I can get across country for it, but I haven't ruled it out yet. The more pressing issue for me is whether I start poking around for UCONN housing or wait for Pitt to make a final decision on my waitlist status. If I wait and Pitt doesn't take me, then I'll have missed the good housing opportunities at UCONN. If I jump on a nice place in Farmington/West Hartford now and Pitt takes me mid-summer, then I'm in a financial pickle. Le sigh...

Not sure I can get across country for it, but I haven't ruled it out yet. The more pressing issue for me is whether I start poking around for UCONN housing or wait for Pitt to make a final decision on my waitlist status. If I wait and Pitt doesn't take me, then I'll have missed the good housing opportunities at UCONN. If I jump on a nice place in Farmington/West Hartford now and Pitt takes me mid-summer, then I'm in a financial pickle. Le sigh...

Cross country eh? Wow that would be quite a long trip. Maybe coming to second look will help you narrow down your Pitt wait list v.s. UConn housing decision. The itinerary looks great! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a CT resident, but I go to school in AL. So it'd be a trip. ;) I'll let you know if I can get up there, though.

I don't think you should worry about finding a place to live here. Finding a conveniently located apartment won't be hard assuming you have a car to get to and from school. No reason to search too far in advance.

Maybe, but I like to freak out about living arrangements. I've never left the dorms at my school, so I've always known where I'll be staying in the Fall a semester beforehand. Geez, I'll actually have to get furniture and stuff... :eek:

Does anyone know whether UConn sends out acceptances in batches? Like perhaps 80 first, then more if seats aren't filled? Waiting is sooo frustrating..

Also, which hospitals are going to be new and shiny by the time we get to third year? It looks like Saint Francis is doing some hardcore construction (O'Connell Tower). Are any other affiliated hospitals expanding/upgrading?

I'm convinced that the UConn interview should have included some tours of the area hospitals where we'll be spending most of our clinical hours. Because the Dempsey tour was... less than impressive, honestly. I have no idea what to expect from the Hartford hospitals.

Also, which hospitals are going to be new and shiny by the time we get to third year? It looks like Saint Francis is doing some hardcore construction (O'Connell Tower). Are any other affiliated hospitals expanding/upgrading?

I'm convinced that the UConn interview should have included some tours of the area hospitals where we'll be spending most of our clinical hours. Because the Dempsey tour was... less than impressive, honestly. I have no idea what to expect from the Hartford hospitals.

They gave you a tour of Dempsey? During my interview they didn't give my group a tour of the Dempsey, they just showed us the classrooms and anatomy lab.

Hey I am interviewing in a week and I was curious about the pbl exercise and the interview day.... what does it entail?

also does anyone know what the chances are interviewing this late..I'm in state

They gave you a tour of Dempsey? During my interview they didn't give my group a tour of the Dempsey, they just showed us the classrooms and anatomy lab.
That's what I got too, and that's exactly my point. Other schools gave much more in-depth tours. And it's not like Farmington actually has a campus, so they should have enough time to show us something. A simulation lab. A pretty hallway. A stem cell culture. Something.

I did walk around Dempsey on my own while waiting on my ride, though.

UCONN has more qualified applicants than seats available. Even if they held classes in a barn and had one ugly hospital, they would not have trouble filling their class. They don't have to try hard to recruit applicants. They are nice and seem to care about impressing folks during the interview because that's how things get done, but it's not like they really need to show us anything. Enough qualified students will enroll no matter what.

I submitted my secondary way back in July, and was told I was put on hold to be re-reviewed in January/February. I sent an update letter at the beginning on the month and it's receipt was acknowledged by Dean Sanford. Any idea when I can accept to hear anything i.e. interview (if there are any left) or rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, final notices were sent to some applicants in early September when classes were already in session. You may not hear from them at all, though.

I'll also be attending the Second Look Weekend. Hope to see some of you guys there. Good luck to those still waiting.

does anyone know if UCONN has a day when all notices are made?

So I was placed on the alternate list about a month ago and have already sent an update to Keat back in december, but since then I was accepted to another med school. UConn is my top choice school and I would go there in a heartbeat-- should I write another letter again explaining my interest (and that I would withdraw my acceptance from the other school and that I would matriculate to uconn if accepted)?

So I was placed on the alternate list about a month ago and have already sent an update to Keat back in december, but since then I was accepted to another med school. UConn is my top choice school and I would go there in a heartbeat-- should I write another letter again explaining my interest (and that I would withdraw my acceptance from the other school and that I would matriculate to uconn if accepted)?

I say go for it since you have nothing to lose. Good luck!

I stopped by the admissions office last Friday and there were still many students that were interviewing. They were all in their suits and dresses. I would say about 7 of them.

Yes, it's typical of UCONN to hold interviews still and into early April. They do it every year.

I interviewed at UCONN on January 26th, and the wait to hear their decision is killing me!!!!

It has been 6 weeks, so I am trying to stay calm because they informed me it would take 6-8 weeks, but I want to start planning my life out! It is awful to not know where I am going to be in 3 months (I'm sure many of you can sympathize).

I just emailed Sanford today to inquire about my status, but who knows if he will get back to me. UCONN is by far my top choice (I am a CT resident). I wish they would just tell me their decision already!

Is anyone else who interviewed in January still waiting???

Some of us interviewed in late November and December and we still don't have decisions. Based on my observations over the last few cycles, my own personal experiences, and conversations with current students, if you are accepted, you hear within 2-3 weeks. Otherwise, you either get waitlisted (most likely) or rejected. Sure, there may be exceptions. I am simply telling you what the trends are.

Final notifications should come out by the end of March, which means you can expect to learn about your status in March or more likely in April (because there will be a delay).

If you get waitlisted, you are asked not to check your status until June (top third of the list), July (middle third of the list).

Low third of the list -- pretty much forget about getting in.

i am suspect of this two to three week acceptance trend. this could be very a few top students they take very quickly. plus this is just on SDN and thus a very small sampling of what is going on out there.

I think a 3 week decision time is very quick. It seems impossible for every student who is accepted to be notified in that short amount of time.

I am going to try to stay positive. Sanford just emailed to say they are "a bit delayed"
I have to try to be patient for at least a few more weeks.

by the way, Sanford said that last year they interviewed far too many applicants (into april) and he wants to stop a little earlier this year.

i am suspect of this two to three week acceptance trend. this could be very a few top students they take very quickly. plus this is just on SDN and thus a very small sampling of what is going on out there.

They interview for EDP in August. Then it's September, October, early November -- they accept applicants to slightly overfill the class of 80. Later in the process, they accept very FEW.

Every student I spoke with (about 10) that got accepted was notified within 2-3 weeks. I am not talking about those who were initially waitlisted.

fyi, there is no medical school in this country that accepts all of its applicants within the first few months, and not every applicant will get a response within three weeks post interview. last year, uconn handed out 177 acceptances to secure a class off 85. considering the fact that the school does not interview more than 400 applicants, everyone who has interviewed has a decent chance of admission. dont take my word for it, check it out for yourself at
http://studentservices.uchc.edu/fastfacts/pdfs/facts_enrollment.pdf

dont let people on this forum discourage you. and as one poster put it, sdn is a minute sample size of the applicant pool.

fyi, there is no medical school in this country that accepts all of its applicants within the first few months, and not every applicant will get a response within three weeks post interview. last year, uconn handed out 177 acceptances to secure a class off 85. considering the fact that the school does not interview more than 400 applicants, everyone who has interviewed has a decent chance of admission. dont take my word for it, check it out for yourself at
http://studentservices.uchc.edu/fastfacts/pdfs/facts_enrollment.pdf

dont let people on this forum discourage you. and as one poster put it, sdn is a minute sample size of the applicant pool.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!

I was notified today that I was put on the Hold/Alternate list... what is that???

They said they will re-review my application in March/April and then let me know what the status is (fyi, it's already March!!!)

This is awful. I just got into a Masters in International Health Program that I wanted to defer for, but I can see my chances of deferral (and even acceptance) fading away...

The hold list (aka faux waitlist) is probably the worst spot to be in.
ugh.

I was notified today that I was put on the Hold/Alternate list... what is that???

They said they will re-review my application in March/April and then let me know what the status is (fyi, it's already March!!!)

This is awful. I just got into a Masters in International Health Program that I wanted to defer for, but I can see my chances of deferral (and even acceptance) fading away...

The hold list (aka faux waitlist) is probably the worst spot to be in.
ugh.

hey Shan, sorry to hear that. Don't give up hope! The later in the year, probably in mid spring they review all the applicants on the wait list. UConn then ranks those applicants into "high alternate" "middle alternate" and "low alternate". Dr. Sanford usually tells you which level you are on if you ask him later in the season. If you get placed in "high alternate" there is a very good chance that you will be accepted off the waitlist. They usually take a good amount of students off the high alternate list. So there is definitely still hope! :) Good luck!

Got a rejection email from UCONN tonight. Funny how all emails from them have come on weekend days. Anyway, at least it wasn't a silent rejection.

Got a rejection email from UCONN tonight. Funny how all emails from them have come on weekend days. Anyway, at least it wasn't a silent rejection.

Sorry to hear that. I know Dr. Sanford is in his office on the weekends. I met with him to discuss the admission process on a Saturday morning last summer. This probably explains why you are getting weekend emails.

Being out of state hurt your chances at UCONN. At least you won't be stuck in the alternate list limbo. It's horrible not to know what's going to happen for months and then, in August, you still think they may call you up any day, but they don't. I have done alternate list more than once now and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Good luck to you.

Agreed. I think I am under more stress now that I have no clue what's going on (and deadlines for alternative programs are passing). I wish I was given a decision one way or the other.

At least you know and can now plan for other options.
Best of luck.

Just withdrew from UCONN. I was accepted really early in the cycle, but I realized that I am not going to go there, so I wanted to open up my spot. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist!

Congratulations, iheartcats. Good luck and thanks for posting.

I truly hope that UCONN will not put too many of us on the waitlist this year. Better to know sooner and freely make other plans than to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

UCONN seems unusual in its inability to issue timely decisions to most applicants. I know that expecting answers within let's say 2-3 weeks after the interview might be unreasonable (although many schools manage quite well), but waiting for months is simply ridiculous.

Hi,

My boyfriend and I will be attendeding UConn next year. We are interested in getting a house or condo. Our problem is that we don't really know the area very well. Are there certain areas to avoid (we are looking in New Britain, West Hartford, and Farmington right now)?
Any info would be great. Thanks!:)

Hi,

My boyfriend and I will be attendeding UConn next year. We are interested in getting a house or condo. Our problem is that we don't really know the area very well. Are there certain areas to avoid (we are looking in New Britain, West Hartford, and Farmington right now)?
Any info would be great. Thanks!:)

Wow both of you got in?! WHOA Congrats! West Hartford and Farmington are nice and safe, but the rent/housing costs are high compared to New Britain. New Britain has it's sketchy areas with housing projects, but there are also decent parts. New Britain also has a street name "Hard Hittin New Britain" so take it for what it's worth.

I have another random question... I am attending Second Look and flying into Hartford to get to UConn. Do you all know of a way to get from the airport to the health center? (When I interviewed my parents drove me straight there, but they can't do that this time...) Many thanks for any advice!

I'm guessing that we find out about our student hosts when we get there next weekend? UConn has been silent ever since I sent in my confirmation.

I have another random question... I am attending Second Look and flying into Hartford to get to UConn. Do you all know of a way to get from the airport to the health center? (When I interviewed my parents drove me straight there, but they can't do that this time...) Many thanks for any advice!

Hey Swanface,

Going from the airport (i'm going to assume Bradley Airport) to UConn Med is actually really easy, there is just one major road that directly goes in and out of the airport, I believe that road is called Route 20. About 3 miles down, route 20 East connects to I-91 South, Take I-91 south to I-84 west. On I-84 west go until the exit for FARMINGTON ROUTE 4 (I think it's exit 39), you will see signs directing you to the UConn Health Center, plus it's really huge and hard to miss. All in all the trip should take around 25-30 min. Good Luck! I'm going to second look also! :laugh:

Hey Swanface,

Going from the airport (i'm going to assume Bradley Airport) to UConn Med is actually really easy, there is just one major road that directly goes in and out of the airport, I believe that road is called Route 20. About 3 miles down, route 20 East connects to I-91 South, Take I-91 south to I-84 west. On I-84 west go until the exit for FARMINGTON ROUTE 4 (I think it's exit 39), you will see signs directing you to the UConn Health Center, plus it's really huge and hard to miss. All in all the trip should take around 25-30 min. Good Luck! I'm going to second look also! :laugh:

I actually can't rent a car from the airport (don't have a driver's license yet, believe it or not). Do you know of any other way?

hi all,
i interviewed at UCONN in December and was put on the hold/alternate list in february. I corresponded a bit with dr. sanford and seem to just be in the wait and see place. anyone heard anything new? i'm thinking i'll check in with dr. sanford again in a couple weeks, but was wondering if anyone had gotten an update...the waiting stinks.
good luck everyone!

Don't take a taxi - it'll cost you a fortune. Take the bus. It'll take longer then the taxi, but just plan accordingly.

From airport (only one bus to worry about): #30 (sched, map) "Bradley Flyer" to downtown Hartford and then connect to the #66 (sched, map) Farmington Ave/UConn bus which goes directly to UCHC. The schedules are for weekday, so if you need the weekend sched - go here.

A 1-day fare is $3.25 (exact change required) or get a single bus fare for $2.25 which will get you from Bradley Airport to UCHC (ask for a transfer ticket once you pay for the fare) or buy online and they'll send the bus pass to you.

Hope this helps...

Got the email........Hold/Alternate list status. We'll see how it goes....my luck it will be mid/low with no chance of getting in :laugh:

Has anyone heard what their status on the hold/alternate list is yet??? If not, does anyone know about when we should find out?

I have not heard about my status on the hold/alternate list yet.

They said there should be a decision made in the March/April window, but UCONN doesn't seem to go by what they tell applicants. We should find out very soon (I assume March/April window ends in mid April). I am not counting on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.