UCONN News, Acceptances, and Waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IS or OOS?

Two months is pretty common for schools at this point. I'm still waiting to hear back from an interview I had in the middle of November. That said, UCONN seems to get back with IS applicants much faster than OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

I tried calling the office, but I keep getting Dr.Sanford's answering machine. I finally left him a message on Wednesday, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. This is definitely an abnormally long time to hear back post-interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried calling the office, but I keep getting Dr.Sanford's answering machine. I finally left him a message on Wednesday, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. This is definitely an abnormally long time to hear back post-interview.

I'm pretty sure the best way to contact Dr. Sanford is via email. He is really busy, but whenever I emailed him he got back to me within 48 hours.

IS or OOS?

Two months is pretty common for schools at this point. I'm still waiting to hear back from an interview I had in the middle of November. That said, UCONN seems to get back with IS applicants much faster than OOS.

I'm in state. They shouldn't promise decisions within 6 weeks and then say nothing after 8.

Acceptance or rejection (a.k.a the the list of alternates), I simply want to know.

Link to other thread w/Jan. 5th interview and a 9 day turnaround for acceptance. Its not looking good for us that interviewed way back in Dec.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=538112&page=2&highlight=uconn

This makes perfect sense, people. If you interview and they want to accept you, you find out within two weeks. Everything else (rejections, waitlists, holds, etc) takes longer.

Assuming that guy actually got accepted, we can forget the idea "oh, must be the holidays so they are a little behind." They are right on schedule, i.e. in no rush to inform the unlucky ones of the outcome.

Most people look at the forum and follow the threads, but do not contribute.

I'm sure UCONN still has some spots left and it proceeds with caution issuing acceptances only to select few. The official alternate list is established in March.
High alternate status == you might actually get in around June or July

Middle alternate status == don't count on anything; if you have no place to go, work on improving your application

Low alternate status == forget it; if you have no place to go, work on improving your application

I interviewed at UConn the first week of December (in-state) and am still waiting too. I think and hope that they're just really behind. It seems like there are quite a few of us...

anyone email keat sanford to get an update?

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Dr.Sanford to provide him with an update on my application. I'm too scared to ask him what's going on..

They already accepted enough people and probably still want to keep a few slots open for extraordinary applicants interviewing in Feb/March/April.

Notifications to those of us that interviewed late November - early January are not yet ready, unless you've been accepted and thus told of the decision.

I was put on post-interview hold.
Anyone know what this means in terms of chances?

I was accepted, but withdrew about a week or so ago. I am in-state. Hope it goes to one of you guys!

Has anyone who was place on "pre-interview hold" received an interview invite?

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd drop in on the conversation. I interviewed for the MD/PhD program in early October, and didn't hear back from them until 2 days before Christmas! I was biting my nails to bloody nubs for about 8 weeks there, because they told us 2-4 weeks, give or take a week. I'm 99.99% sure that I'm gonna go to UConn.

Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd drop in on the conversation. I interviewed for the MD/PhD program in early October, and didn't hear back from them until 2 days before Christmas! I was biting my nails to bloody nubs for about 8 weeks there, because they told us 2-4 weeks, give or take a week. I'm 99.99% sure that I'm gonna go to UConn.

If you are 99.99% sure about going to uconn you should go post in the uconn class of 2013 thread on sdn. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=589682&highlight=uconn

Best of luck to everyone out there!

What's a post-interview hold? Is that different from the alternate list?

Hi guys,

Congratulations on your acceptance. Wow, if they could only accept me, we could become classmates. More waiting for me!

Maybe they are changing the nomenclature.

I just want to get accepted already! This wait is so so so exciting.

I am in a good mood despite lack of any news from UCONN. A strange symptom... maybe I should see a doctor. I should be crying not smiling. Or at least be angry.

It probably means "don't get your hopes up." If you are on the list of alternates, you are allowed to hope only to have your hope crashed in the end. Such is life.

Edit: I don't want to sound harsh...
Keep you hopes up.

How did you find out? Snail mail? I wish I knew what that meant.

If I understand correctly, post interview hold notification comes via email. Right?
How long did UCONN take after the interview to send such email?

I'm going to UConn Health Center tomorrow for a conference for work.

Enjoy the conference. In the meantime, everybody keep posting!

I really hope many of the people on this board get in and go to uconn. It would be nice to put a face to the name. Good luck!

UConn Financial Aid sent me an email containing all the Fafsa and income forms. More student debt here I come.

For in state residents, UCONN really is a bargain even if everything has to be financed through loans.

hey all just thought I would actually post...........I interviewed at UCONN in the first week of December and found out that I was accepted a few days before Christmas (it was about a 3 week turnaround).....I will probably go but there, especially since its such a great school and a sweet deal for IS.

So UCONN sent out an email today detailing their strengths as a school. I was hoping for clarification on one point:
6. Clinical Scholar Programs exist in all the major clinical disciplines. Participants in the Scholars program are expected to engage in research as well as in additional clinical electives in the particular discipline. Literature in Medicine and History of Medicine Interest Groups provide opportunities for social and academic interactions among students and faculty.
The only scholar groups I could find on the website were: Family Medicine, Neurology, Ob/Gyn, Orthopaedics, Pediatrics, Sports Medicine, and Surgical. Are other specialties just not very well supported by the school, or is their absence a reflection on the interests of the student body? One thing that troubles me about UCONN is the feeling that they try to funnel their students toward primary care specialties, and I worry that applying to residencies outside of these popular disciplines (at UCONN, at least) might leave me disadvantaged versus other schools that embrace a wider distribution of specialties. Do you guys think I'm way off base with this concern?

hey all just thought I would actually post...........I interviewed at UCONN in the first week of December and found out that I was accepted a few days before Christmas (it was about a 3 week turnaround).....I will probably go but there, especially since its such a great school and a sweet deal for IS.

Congratulations and thank you for posting.

So UCONN sent out an email today detailing their strengths as a school. I was hoping for clarification on one point:
The only scholar groups I could find on the website were: Family Medicine, Neurology, Ob/Gyn, Orthopaedics, Pediatrics, Sports Medicine, and Surgical. Are other specialties just not very well supported by the school, or is their absence a reflection on the interests of the student body? One thing that troubles me about UCONN is the feeling that they try to funnel their students toward primary care specialties, and I worry that applying to residencies outside of these popular disciplines (at UCONN, at least) might leave me disadvantaged versus other schools that embrace a wider distribution of specialties. Do you guys think I'm way off base with this concern?

Dr. Sanford also sent me this email . I was excited to read about the impressive strengths about UConn Med. In regards to your question. I know this is really anecdotal but I knew a couple UConn med students that seemed to have no issue getting into non-primary care fields. I think the admissions office has the match list for the latest graduating class. You should have them email it to you. It might help clear some things up.

Just in case anyone else was interested, here's Dr. Sanford's reply:

*****, We do have Clinical Scholar/Interest groups for many of the specialities even though they may not be highlighted on the website. We do not consider ourselves a Primary Care school. Our academic program will provide you with the knowledge and skill base necessary to pursue your desired special interest. In fact, you will see that the current numbers suggest that other specialities have been favored selections for many of our recent graduates. I can forward you previous Match data that clearly show students placing in numerous disciplines and with very competitive residency programs. We do send out the most recent placement list to accepted students when this becomes available in March. Let me know if you want to wait for this, or if you would also like the record from the last couple of years. Additionally, I am copying our Dean of Students, Dr. Henderson, for his additional input to you. regards, Keat s

It's good to know that the website isn't an exhaustive listing of the groups available, but I'd still expect them to reflect relative popularity. Even so, I'll probably take a look at the Match data, as yellowtibby suggested (even though M0's are warned against this), and see what kind of spread UCONN has.

Just in case anyone else was interested, here's Dr. Sanford's reply:

*****, We do have Clinical Scholar/Interest groups for many of the specialities even though they may not be highlighted on the website. We do not consider ourselves a Primary Care school. Our academic program will provide you with the knowledge and skill base necessary to pursue your desired special interest. In fact, you will see that the current numbers suggest that other specialities have been favored selections for many of our recent graduates. I can forward you previous Match data that clearly show students placing in numerous disciplines and with very competitive residency programs. We do send out the most recent placement list to accepted students when this becomes available in March. Let me know if you want to wait for this, or if you would also like the record from the last couple of years. Additionally, I am copying our Dean of Students, Dr. Henderson, for his additional input to you. regards, Keat s

It's good to know that the website isn't an exhaustive listing of the groups available, but I'd still expect them to reflect relative popularity. Even so, I'll probably take a look at the Match data, as yellowtibby suggested (even though M0's are warned against this), and see what kind of spread UCONN has.

I'm curious to see the latest match list myself. I'm interested in Emergency Med. I hope UConn sends a lot of students into that field.

I'm curious to see the latest match list myself. I'm interested in Emergency Med. I hope UConn sends a lot of students into that field.
Since he offered, I've asked for previous Match lists. I imagine you could email Dr. Sanford and do the same. I don't know my ultimate aim in terms of specialty quite yet, I just don't want to effectively limit my options through choice of school.

Generally speaking, how well you match depends on your test scores and how well you do during your clinical rotations. Going to a less prestigious medical school won't hinder your chances much. Would Yale or University of Virginia offer you a better chance when it comes to matching? Probably, but it's not like you won't have opportunities if you go to UCONN. I wouldn't worry too much about this and would happily go to UCONN if they accepted me. Good luck whatever your final choice might be.

For those of us who haven't received word about post-interview hold or acceptance, is it safe to assume that we've been waitlisted? It has been 9 weeks since I interviewed and I have yet to hear anything from the office.

For those of us who haven't received word about post-interview hold or acceptance, is it safe to assume that we've been waitlisted? It has been 9 weeks since I interviewed and I have yet to hear anything from the office.

I think the only way to really know is to email Dr. Sanford and ask him.

I think the only way to really know is to email Dr. Sanford and ask him.

I just sent him an email asking about the status of my application. Hopefully I'll hear back from him soon. Karen, what makes you ask if the office is closed? Is it because of the holiday?

I just sent him an email asking about the status of my application. Hopefully I'll hear back from him soon. Karen, what makes you ask if the office is closed? Is it because of the holiday?

Absence of posts about status change/acceptance/hold/whatever made me think the office went out of business. ...

Seriously, though, I just want to keep this thread alive.

"We are still evaluating files. You should receive some notice by
March."

I guess they are still processing the applications. Only a couple of more weeks to go. Hang on guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.