UCONN News, Acceptances, and Waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an e-mail I got today:

We have not seen much movement at all in the non-resident list. Feel free to check back in early August. regards, Keat s @ U Connecticut SoM

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
and then it will be never.... the class will always be full

yeah i remember dealing with that crap last year.. hence the reason i have not even kept in contact with Dr. Sanford this year after i got the 'check back mid june' message the first time this year.

IF i sent an email today id get a reply back saying check back mid august

It's quite likely they won't even get through the top of the list this year.
Forget it if you're in the middle or below. :(

i called today and found out i was accepted. i was on the high alternate list and out-of-state. i hope that's useful information... good luck to you all!

I was invited for an interview for the class of 2013. The interview is scheduled in December. Did anyone get theirs earlier. December is really far away. I can't sleep at night. :scared:

I got that last year.

Yay, Dr. Sanford moved my interview up from December to November 14th!!! I must prepare. It is exactly a week away. Anyone else interviewing on the 14th? Wish me luck!

So, did you get your decision, yellowtibby?

Edit: probably too soon still

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So, did you get your decision, yellowtibby?

Edit: probably too soon still

Hey Karen,

Thanks for your concern! My interview went amazingly well and I really loved UConn. I did not get my decision yet, most likely due to the Thanksgiving holiday. I hope to get something next week! Do you know how long it takes for them to give you a decision? I interviewed on November 14th.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else on this thread! I wish everyone the best of luck during this year's application process. =)

Hey Karen,

Thanks for your concern! My interview went amazingly well and I really loved UConn. I did not get my decision yet, most likely due to the Thanksgiving holiday. I hope to get something next week! Do you know how long it takes for them to give you a decision? I interviewed on November 14th.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else on this thread! I wish everyone the best of luck during this year's application process. =)

In the previous years, they said 4-6 weeks, but then "due to a variety of factors the reviewed process took more than expected" (part of an email message). The good thing about your case is that you're early in the process so you likely interviewed for a seat in class. Many people invited to interview later just get placed on the alternate list and they stay there. You seem to have a decent chance to hear something positive, but give them time. They operate like a state institution in terms of giving out decisions and staying on schedule.

I'm IS, but go to school in Ohio, and received an email in August for an interview in January: any idea what that means?

It's kind of a late interview, but obviously not as bad as March. People still get in after January interviews.

AHHHHHHHHHH I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO UCONN SCHOOL OF MEDICINE!!! Dr. Sanford emailed me today to inform me of their acceptance decision. I'm so happy and excited that I got in! Good luck to everyone applying this year! :)

AHHHHHHHHHH I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO UCONN SCHOOL OF MEDICINE!!! Dr. Sanford emailed me today to inform me of their acceptance decision. I'm so happy and excited that I got in! Good luck to everyone applying this year! :)

So, you interviewed November 14th and got accepted December 3rd. That is absolutely amazing! Congratulations.

The committee met on Tuesday Dec 2nd. If it meets once a month, then this is probably its last meeting this year so whoever interviews between now and the end of December most likely will not hear until after New Year's. Someone correct me if my guess seems off. The ADCOM meets once a month, right?

Congratulations!! I actually interviewed on the 14th too. I hope it's not a bad sign I didn't hear anything today. I asked Dr. Sanford that day how long it would take, and without blinking he said six weeks. Now I'm gonna be back in desperate waiting constant email checking mode. I really hope I get in!:xf:

I received my official letter from UCONN the other day. It came in a small envelope so it scared the crap out of me but, turns out that their acceptance letters come in small envelopes. Good luck to everyone though! I hope everyone gets small envelopes!

:)

Pre interview hold as good as a rejection for an OOS?

I wish I knew. I'm in state and I just got the pre-interview hold email as well (on a Sunday?!). I would love to go to UConn. It's a reach with my stats, but it's my #1.

Anybody ever hear anything after the pre-interview hold email?

I wish I knew. I'm in state and I just got the pre-interview hold email as well (on a Sunday?!). I would love to go to UConn. It's a reach with my stats, but it's my #1.

Anybody ever hear anything after the pre-interview hold email?

Yeah I am OoS and on the same boat...:confused:

Accepted at UConn med today by snail mail!!! My first acceptance!!! Interview on 11/21/08. Good luck everyone!

Nice outcome!

You interviewed 11/21 and got acceptance via snail mail 12/13.

So the decision was made the week of 12/8

3 weeks decision time. Wow.

Congratulations!

Nice outcome!

You interviewed 11/21 and got acceptance via snail mail 12/13.

So the decision was made the week of 12/8

3 weeks decision time. Wow.

Congratulations!

Speaking of record acceptance times. I interviewed on November 14th and the signed acceptance letter that I received after the thanksgiving break was actually dated November 25th! I couldn't believe that they accepted me in 11 days!

It seems unusual for so many people to get acceptances so quickly post interview. Perhaps the school is interviewing fewer applicants this year.

Hey Karen are you an MS I at UConn? You seem to know a lot about the school.

No, I am a third time applicant. Still waiting for a decision.

Wow, quickest response ever! Good luck! Have you applied elsewhere also?

If only UCONN issued its decisions just as quickly...

Yes, I applied broadly and will attend somewhere in the fall. Hoping for UCONN, though. The wait shouldn't take much longer, but if I get a nice rejection (the so called alternate list), I will probably accept the outcome and move on once and for all. Good luck to me. Good luck to everyone still waiting. Congratulations to all those holding acceptances.

any acceptances recently? if so, please, let us know the interview date. thanks.

I wonder how much delay we should expect due to the holidays.

Sorry to bother you all, but does anyone know the relative difficulty of getting into UCMS as an OOSer? I am currently going to Uconn main campus but living in MA. I just wanted to know if its even worth applying.

I assume by UCMS you mean UCONN medical school.

Strong preference is given to instate residents. The school's mission statement says, "Competitive OOS are considered to get a diverse class." (something like that). I think that no more than 10 students can be OOS. It's a long shot unless you are exceptionally well qualified.

It seems as though most qualified OOS get placed on hold for several months. Slim chances of getting in, but not impossible.

I assume by UCMS you mean UCONN medical school.

Strong preference is given to instate residents. The school's mission statement says, "Competitive OOS are considered to get a diverse class." (something like that). I think that no more than 10 students can be OOS. It's a long shot unless you are exceptionally well qualified.

It seems as though most qualified OOS get placed on hold for several months. Slim chances of getting in, but not impossible.

Probably true. Based on what you've said, I'm guessing that my February interview is an auto-waitlist. :eek:

I am OOS and am supposed to be interviewing sometime in January, but haven't heard back sine the initial interview invitation email. anybody know when i should be expecting some news? (next week since vaca this week?) or if i should call and get things rolling

Probably true. Based on what you've said, I'm guessing that my February interview is an auto-waitlist. :eek:

Perhaps if you can truly impress them, acceptance is possible. It's hard to know what the school is really looking for. Good luck.

I am OOS and am supposed to be interviewing sometime in January, but haven't heard back sine the initial interview invitation email. anybody know when i should be expecting some news? (next week since vaca this week?) or if i should call and get things rolling

They will most likely call you the week of January 5th. If they don't, I would then contact them to make sure they have the right phone number on file. Good luck.

For the out of staters, two of the things that UCONN SoM really look for is a dedication to serving the underserved and a willinging to stay in the state of CT to practice after residency. During the interview you should defintely express an interest to stay in CT and help it's citizens (if this is true).

There are people accepted to UCONN from OOS, but many have some sort of connection to the area. Preference is given to those with ties to CT and New England, but there were OOS students from Canada, Alaska, and Arizona (among others) in my class.

For the out of staters, two of the things that UCONN SoM really look for is a dedication to serving the underserved and a willinging to stay in the state of CT to practice after residency. During the interview you should defintely express an interest to stay in CT and help it's citizens (if this is true).

I'm an in-stater wanting to practice in CT and it looks as though I will be pushed out of state to study medicine despite of my strong interest to stay and eventually practice here. There are many applicants already living in CT, not wanting to move elsewhere to practice, but they still get rejected. What is the point of looking for OOS wanting to stay in CT while kicking those already here out?

I'm an in-stater wanting to practice in CT and it looks as though I will be pushed out of state to study medicine despite of my strong interest to stay and eventually practice here. There are many applicants already living in CT, not wanting to move elsewhere to practice, but they still get rejected. What is the point of looking for OOS wanting to stay in CT while kicking those already here out?

While your experience is frustrating and unfortunate, every year UConn picks a handful of OOS students (don't know why they do, but they do nonetheless). Therefore, an OOS student who expresses interest in practicing in CT, especially working with the underserved in this state would be considered more desirable than an OOS student who fails to mention such plans. Goodluck everyone! :luck:

According to their mission statement, they accept OOS to get a highly diverse class.

I interviewed at UConn on 12/8 and still haven't heard back from them. Should I send Dr.Sanford an email or wait a couple of more weeks? I'm so anxious to hear back!

I interviewed on 12/1 and haven't heard. They mentioned it would take 6 weeks for a decision so I would sit tight for now if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.