This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cataraway

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I currently got accepted by UDM and Touro (2+2 program and NM for clinical) and really hesitated to make a decision here. I am an international student on F-1 visa, so both programs cost same amounts. I am not considering any specialty for now, so I value most about the quality of clinical education, like how prepared I am after the four-year edu.

School 1 (TCDM NY>NM):
Pros:​
1) fairly new facilities and instruments;​
2) really friendly staff based on my interview impressions;​
3) great focus on digital dentistry;​
4) heard that students get to take their boarding exam early when memory is all fresh.​
Cons:​
1) a pain to relocate from NY to NM by the end of D2 year;​
2) NM is a really new program, so I am not sure if there will be enough cases or faculties for the D3/4 students;​
3) the admin requires international students to deposit all four-year tuition by this June;​
4) expanded class size makes me concerned on how they are gonna fit ~200 people into the campus in the first two years;​
5) heard of the drug crisis in Albuquerque, NM. Though it may be safer than Detroit?​
​
School 2 (UDM):
Pros:​
1) more experienced staff;​
2) also great focus on digital dentistry;​
Cons:​
1) the location is my biggest concern. Ive never been to Detroit, but I heard about the high crime rate, etc. Also, Im so used to the sunshine in Southern CA and Taiwan, so I dont know how I may bear with the rain and snow in Detroit ://​
2) the comments on UDM I heard are sorta extreme. There are students highly recommending and highly discouraging.​
​
Thank you for reading through. Any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated!!​
​
 
Hello, I currently got accepted by UDM and Touro (2+2 program and NM for clinical) and really hesitated to make a decision here. I am an international student on F-1 visa, so both programs cost same amounts. I am not considering any specialty for now, so I value most about the quality of clinical education, like how prepared I am after the four-year edu.

School 1 (TCDM NY>NM):
Pros:​
1) fairly new facilities and instruments;​
2) really friendly staff based on my interview impressions;​
3) great focus on digital dentistry;​
4) heard that students get to take their boarding exam early when memory is all fresh.​
Cons:​
1) a pain to relocate from NY to NM by the end of D2 year;​
2) NM is a really new program, so I am not sure if there will be enough cases or faculties for the D3/4 students;​
3) the admin requires international students to deposit all four-year tuition by this June;​
4) expanded class size makes me concerned on how they are gonna fit ~200 people into the campus in the first two years;​
5) heard of the drug crisis in Albuquerque, NM. Though it may be safer than Detroit?​
​
School 2 (UDM):
Pros:​
1) more experienced staff;​
2) also great focus on digital dentistry;​
Cons:​
1) the location is my biggest concern. Ive never been to Detroit, but I heard about the high crime rate, etc. Also, Im so used to the sunshine in Southern CA and Taiwan, so I dont know how I may bear with the rain and snow in Detroit ://​
2) the comments on UDM I heard are sorta extreme. There are students highly recommending and highly discouraging.​
​
Thank you for reading through. Any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated!!​
​
Hello, which one did you choose at the end cause I am in your shoes right now and between those two. I would appreciate it if you could share where did you ended up going and your experience so far.