UNECOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This was last year's. Does anyone know if we still need to list ALL of the schools we're applying to in this year's secondary? Thank youuuu.

UNECOM

List ALL the medical schools (osteopathic and allopathic) to which you have applied in the past and/or are applying to this admissions cycle. List each school/college on separate line and include month/year of application.

Describe your particular interest in attending UNECOM and what brought you to your decision to apply. Reflect on the type of physician you want to become, and how UNECOM can help you reach your potential.

Describe any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty members, or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?

Reflect on your involvement in healthcare, research, clubs, and community organizations. In light of all these experiences, how would you evaluate the strengths and weaknesses in your preparation to study and practice osteopathic medicine?

Please share any additions or changes since submitting your AACOMAS application. Include academic recognition, research achievements and/or publications, presentations, promotions or changes in employment, recent leadership or volunteer service, etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UNECOM as of today has a new Dean of the COM. Dr. Jacqueline Cawley has accepted the position. She had previously served as interim dean a couple of years ago, and the students were overall quite pleased with her. She has fostered open communication and is a supporter of open financial disclosure.

Her start date is September 1.

First interview invite! For those that have heard back already, when is your interview scheduled? I'm slated for Thurs, Sept. 17th. I live near Boston, so the ride shouldn't be too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
First interview invite! For those that have heard back already, when is your interview scheduled? I'm slated for Thurs, Sept. 17th. I live near Boston, so the ride shouldn't be too bad.

Congrats!! :D I'm hoping to hear back soon! UNECOM is at the top for me!:xf:

Congrats!! :D I'm hoping to hear back soon! UNECOM is at the top for me!:xf:

Good luck! :xf: Are you from new england originally, or do you have a particular interest in practicing in the area? I hope that you hear some good news from them soon.

Hey - Can someone please post the essay prompts for the 2010-2011 UNECOM secondary application? I just submitted my primary and would like to begin working on the secondary app ASAP.

Thanks SO much.

Hey - Can someone please post the essay prompts for the 2010-2011 UNECOM secondary application? I just submitted my primary and would like to begin working on the secondary app ASAP.

Thanks SO much.

1. Describe your particular interest in attending the UNE-COM and any contact you have had with UNE-COM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?

2.Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes/additions in education, employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS application.

3.Please explain any academic difficulties you encountered during your academic career. What insight or knowledge have you gained from these experiences that you will bring to your studies at UNE-COM?

4. Describe how you see the role of physicians in society (outside the direct practice of medicine). What experiences have you had that demonstrate your readiness to meet these future role expectations?

Our new dean who was supposed to start tomorrow withdrew her acceptance today. We are now still dean-less.

Our new dean who was supposed to start tomorrow withdrew her acceptance today. We are now still dean-less.

Wow.... strange! ....hmmm... so how do you think that will affect students/student-life? :eek:

Shy: (within the bounds of what you're willing to put out in the interverse) what's with that? Does this have anything to do with the stink that arose after Dr. Buser was not tapped for interim dean? (I remember getting an email linking to some site supporting him-which was fine except for how disgustingly (and unprofessionally) it came out against Dr. C). The second half of the most recent COMpass seemed a little "off" as well. Or is this something else? As an alum, I'd like some inside scuttlebutt. PM if you're inclined/rather. Thanks.

An FYI:

Portland Press Herald Article

Accreditation Standards

Still no dean. I an unaware of any link or problem with Dr. Buser, and understand he is quite happy with his current position.

There have been many many rumors floating around which I am not inclined to reiterate here without some kind of information directly from the horse's mouth so to speak. However, I believe the newspaper article is public knowledge and it directly refers to the upcoming accreditation visit so I have included the link to the accreditation standards for your information.

An FYI:

Accreditation Standards

Still no dean. I an unaware of any link or problem with Dr. Buser, and understand he is quite happy with his current position.

There have been many many rumors floating around which I am not inclined to reiterate here without some kind of information directly from the horse's mouth so to speak. However, I believe the newspaper article is public knowledge and it directly refers to the upcoming accreditation visit so I have included the link to the accreditation standards for your information.

Shy: Thank you for keeping us informed on this situation. That is really disconcerting to hear about the community health clinics--it's a big negative that we'll be unable to spend time practicing in this setting. I hope everything ultimately works out. In any case, I'm still looking forward to checking out UNECOM in September.

How long after your primary was verified did you receive your secondary? Its been less than a week since my application was verified, but I received secondaries from other schools immediately. Did anyone else have a lag between verification and receiving secondaries, or am I SOL?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
An FYI:

Accreditation Standards

http://blog.southportlandsentry.com...ver-moves-at-unecom-printed-june-23-2007.aspx
Might give a bullet overview of the initial controversy. There was a campus (e)mail missive with a link to a website that expressed some displeasure over the issues outlined. Unfortunately, in my mind, there was a lot of disrespectful ad hominem verbiage in that website, whether things went down in the right way or not.
Interestingly, tonight, when I Googled "UNECOM, Buser, Cawley" new to the internet scene was a blog-latest post 1Sep09. I'm perusing to further my viewpoint.

Shy: Thank you for keeping us informed on this situation. That is really disconcerting to hear about the community health clinics--it's a big negative that we'll be unable to spend time practicing in this setting. I hope everything ultimately works out. In any case, I'm still looking forward to checking out UNECOM in September.

While sad, especially for patients, I wonder how dramatically this will affect global clinical education at UNECOM. Only the Maine rotation tracks will be affected and those by only a few rotations. I don't remember too many people thinking/stating that UHC-specific rotations were the highlight of their 3rd/4th year except, maybe for OMM (which were quite good if you liked OMM)

So do you rotate at hospitals throughout the state or just in the Portland area. If you do go elsewhere, say EMMC in Bangor, how does that work as far as living arrangements?
Also, doesnt Dartmouth rotate through the Portland hospitals as well?

While sad, especially for patients, I wonder how dramatically this will affect global clinical education at UNECOM. Only the Maine rotation tracks will be affected and those by only a few rotations. I don't remember too many people thinking/stating that UHC-specific rotations were the highlight of their 3rd/4th year except, maybe for OMM (which were quite good if you liked OMM)

Before anyone hits me for being overly glib on this one: Upon further reading, I'm not sure what the significance of this may be. Just so there aren't unnecessary aspersions cast toward the Dean-Who-Wasn't-I'm not under the impression she had much to do with the current UHC situation and maybe the decision to withdraw acceptance (of the dean position) was an appropriate measure to not present the appearance of a conflict of interest. But I am reading things >3rd hand (I wish the alumni community was being kept more informed)

Dr. Cawley's withdrawal of her acceptance was based on factors outside of her purvue and had nothing to do with any conflict of interest issue to my knowledge. I do not know of nor have I heard of any contribution on her part to the current UHC situation.

The significance is little to the rotation schedule. The only rotations for medical students done at UHC are OMM at this time and none are being scheduled after October. There have been preceptorships in first and second year at UHC that would be impacted.

I submitted my secondary and LORs in the first week of August and have not heard from this school. What gives? How long do they take to give an applicant an answer?

I submitted my secondary and LORs in the first week of August and have not heard from this school. What gives? How long do they take to give an applicant an answer?

Beginning of the year is always very hectic. Don't worry, I am sure you will hear back from them soon!:)

An FYI:

Accreditation Standards

Oh boy. I got the news yesterday. What a surprise... actually it is not.
They took an OK school and drove down (many many notches).

Unfortunately the students will suffer. Not because of rotations.. but more for bad press to them in the community.

Is it really that hard to find a OK leader for UNECOM.

I am glad I got out and took my losses.

Interview invite this morning for Sept 22nd. My anniversary but my wife says this is an acceptable reason to miss it. Does anyone know if they only do interviews on Tuesdays? I would much rather do the Monday or Friday of that week but dont want to be picky.

Interview invite this morning for Sept 22nd. My anniversary but my wife says this is an acceptable reason to miss it. Does anyone know if they only do interviews on Tuesdays? I would much rather do the Monday or Friday of that week but dont want to be picky.

Mine is set for a Thursday, so I don't see why they wouldn't be flexible in changing the date.

Did everyone else with invites get the letter from the head of the SGA?
Either she's tougher than the whole UMaine XC team or Im going to have to say shes a liar if shes really claiming to run every day during the school year. Maine winters are beautiful but harsh. UNe does have an indoor track above the basketball courts for those days though.

Is anyone else having trouble loading up the secondary page from the Adobe Reader file they sent with the "fill out the secondary" email?! It keeps saying something like their server is down...

I have been complete with UNECOM since the end of July, how long does it take to get an answer from admissions?

Did everyone else with invites get the letter from the head of the SGA?
Either she's tougher than the whole UMaine XC team or Im going to have to say shes a liar if shes really claiming to run every day during the school year. Maine winters are beautiful but harsh. UNe does have an indoor track above the basketball courts for those days though.

She isnt a liar, many of us do run almost everyday with the indoor track, treadmills, and the roads are plowed for those die-hard outside runners. though many of us will snowshoe, xc ski, or downhill ski quite often. change the fun with your seasons

She isnt a liar, many of us do run almost everyday with the indoor track, treadmills, and the roads are plowed for those die-hard outside runners. though many of us will snowshoe, xc ski, or downhill ski quite often. change the fun with your seasons

Im not saying there is no way to run...I mentioned the indoor track. She just claimed to run on the road everyday. I lived in Maine until I was 22 and there were days I wouldnt even go snowboarding because it was so cold.

I just got off the phone from booking a night (Wed., 9/17) at the Hampton Inn in Saco. They had a special UNE rate of $79, which isn't too bad at all. I'll be driving to campus the next day, so if anyone else staying at the HI needs a ride let me know!

I have a lot of shadowing experience with D.Os but I am unable to get a Letter of Recommendation from any of them at this time...Is it better to send in my secondary to UNE without one or wait and try to shadow another one and then get a letter of recommendation. If the latter is better does anyone know any D.O.s I could Shadow in Southern Maine (as I am Local)??????

Just got an invite via e-mail for 10/1. There were no other options available and I have to confirm by tomorrow. Is this typical?

Just got an invite via e-mail for 10/1. There were no other options available and I have to confirm by tomorrow. Is this typical?

I dont believe mine said to confirm by the next day. If it did, well, I guess i am not interviewing there!!

I have a lot of shadowing experience with D.Os but I am unable to get a Letter of Recommendation from any of them at this time...Is it better to send in my secondary to UNE without one or wait and try to shadow another one and then get a letter of recommendation. If the latter is better does anyone know any D.O.s I could Shadow in Southern Maine (as I am Local)??????

As long as they dont require the DO letter I would get you secondary to them first.
Im sure every town has some DOs. Just make some phone calls.
If youre in really southern Maine, I know my old family practice doc in South Berwick, Great Works Family Practice, now has two new female docs that are DOs, one IM and one FM. Dr. Burke and Dr. Munroe. I never saw either of them but the people there were always great.

How long did they take to send you a secondary invite after your AACOMAS application was verified?

Have they sent you a confirmation that your app is complete yet? I think it is pretty variable for time line (some seem to receive it very quickly and for others it took a while).
Also, for the poster before you UNECOM does not require a DO letter. I did not have a letter from a DO when I applied here.

Interview invite received today for Oct. 6th! What's the typical mode of transportation from the airport --> hotel --> campus? Thanks in advance!

thank you, droogdoc!

What is the word maximum?

1. Describe your particular interest in attending the UNE-COM and any contact you have had with UNE-COM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?

2.Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes/additions in education, employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS application.

3.Please explain any academic difficulties you encountered during your academic career. What insight or knowledge have you gained from these experiences that you will bring to your studies at UNE-COM?

4. Describe how you see the role of physicians in society (outside the direct practice of medicine). What experiences have you had that demonstrate your readiness to meet these future role expectations?

Interview invite received today for Oct. 6th! What's the typical mode of transportation from the airport --> hotel --> campus? Thanks in advance!

In Maine? It's a car rental or a cab. A friend's car if you're lucky.

Its definitely rental car...a cab from Portland would be expensive. Also...from my experience flying into the area, it is almost always cheaper to fly into Boston, get a rental car for $50/day and drive north.

Anyone else interviewing on the 22nd? Ill be staying with family in Mass and driving north if anyone needs an early morning pick up getting to campus.

Its definitely rental car...a cab from Portland would be expensive. Also...from my experience flying into the area, it is almost always cheaper to fly into Boston, get a rental car for $50/day and drive north.

Anyone else interviewing on the 22nd? Ill be staying with family in Mass and driving north if anyone needs an early morning pick up getting to campus.

Logan Airport is definitely not always less expensive. Check Manchester and Portland before you purchase your ticket. You may save some $$.

This is the only school I have encountered thus far that gave a specific day to interview. I hate to be picky but it will definitely be difficult to make it up on a Tuesday. Has anyone attempted to change their interview date?

Logan Airport is definitely not always less expensive. Check Manchester and Portland before you purchase your ticket. You may save some $$.

Didnt say always...I said almost always. It depends on the airline and where youre coming from.

Anyone know what time can I expect to be done for the day with the interview on Tuesday? I am hoping to have some time to visit some friends in So. Maine before I fly out.

Didnt say always...I said almost always. It depends on the airline and where youre coming from.

Anyone know what time can I expect to be done for the day with the interview on Tuesday? I am hoping to have some time to visit some friends in So. Maine before I fly out.

What time did they ask you to be there in the morning? Our interview day began at 7:15, with everything concluding a bit before 12 unless you wanted to stay and chat a bit with current students.

So heres my interview feedback for those to come...

Its a beautiful campus and probably the most beautiful time of year in Maine...I think that, combined with being from the area and really feeling like I was "home" again helped boost UNE toward the top of my list.

Everyone met in the downstairs lobby of the Alfond building, a guy from recruitment and 4 first years were there to chat and answer questions. All very nice and very forward with any information we wondered about. While we chatted they let us know that the food and drinks at a cafe on that floor were free for us and to just let the cashier know we were interviewing. Im always a fan of more coffee. We waited till a bit after 7:30 for everyone to show up...I think they expected 5 or 6 interviewees...only 3 were there at 7:15 and another wandered in around 8. We had a quick informational session with some slides, got a name tag and folder with the names of our interviewers and the order we would be interviewed.

After that they began interviewing one at a time and while others were interviewing we took tours around the Alfond building and remainder of the surrounding buildings. It was a good tour...I like the fitness center and as a member of the UMaine's mens club vball team...I think it would be fun to play with UNE against my old team. Anyway...

The interview itself was very low stress...Dr. Vanderburgh and Dr. Cao both interviewed me. They were both very cordial and I never had the impression that they were trying to mess me up. Dr. Cao, a PhD asked me more of the why medicine and academic questions, while Dr. Vanderburgh asked more random questions, about my PS, transcripts (he didnt want to know about poor grades but was interested in knowing about my literature classes).

We were only the second group to interview...one group had interviewed the prior Tuesday...and it sounded like interviews would continue at least once a week.

Thats all ive got, let me know if you have any questions and goodluck to everyone waiting on interviews.

Its a beautiful campus and probably the most beautiful time of year in Maine...I think that, combined with being from the area and really feeling like I was "home" again helped boost UNE toward the top of my list.

Sounds like your a native, and so very true. The fall is amazing in Maine if you don't mind long sleeve shirts.

Also, club volleyball at Umaine? A buddy of mine from Bangor played for UMO club volleyball..

So heres my interview feedback for those to come...

I think they expected 5 or 6 interviewees...only 3 were there at 7:15 and another wandered in around 8.
hey give me a break it was more like 7:45. Haha no i was nervous they were going to just screen me out because i was so late but i hope not. I was the first to interview also so my nerves were running high before i even got into the interview. I got lost becasue i made a wrong turn on ME 111 and drove in the wrong direction for a few miles before i turned around. Those of you driving, make sure you pay attention and leave 15 min ahead of time.
I have to agree with teacherman about UNECOM, It was my favorit campus that i have interviewed at so far and the people there were very friendly and eager to answer any questions. They are very focused on graduating primary care physciains (close to about 70%). I got grilled on being an economics major but i felt i was able to give a decent reason for following a path in medicine. I had an undergradute incident that Dr. Vanderburgh grilled me on for a little while and didnt give me the greatest feeling comming out but it's expected every once in a while. OVerall great place and would be very happy to go if i got in.

Sounds like your a native, and so very true. The fall is amazing in Maine if you don't mind long sleeve shirts.

Also, club volleyball at Umaine? A buddy of mine from Bangor played for UMO club volleyball..
Yeah, I spent almost all of my childhood in southern Maine, though as Dr. Vanderburgh pointed out, everyone elsewhere in the state considers it NH or northers Mass.
After 3 years in FL I miss my long sleeves...
I played NECVL Vball with
Umaine from 2003-2006, PM me with his name...I might know him.

hey give me a break it was more like 7:45. Haha no i was nervous they were going to just screen me out because i was so late but i hope not. I was the first to interview also so my nerves were running high before i even got into the interview. I got lost becasue i made a wrong turn on ME 111 and drove in the wrong direction for a few miles before i turned around. Those of you driving, make sure you pay attention and leave 15 min ahead of time.
I have to agree with teacherman about UNECOM, It was my favorit campus that i have interviewed at so far and the people there were very friendly and eager to answer any questions. They are very focused on graduating primary care physciains (close to about 70%). I got grilled on being an economics major but i felt i was able to give a decent reason for following a path in medicine. I had an undergradute incident that Dr. Vanderburgh grilled me on for a little while and didnt give me the greatest feeling comming out but it's expected every once in a while. OVerall great place and would be very happy to go if i got in.

Sensei, sorry, it wasnt meant critically...I was watchless so I was just guessing, I didnt think my $15 dollar adidas watch went well with the suit. You handled yourself well coming in late...I wouldve been freaking out as the 1st interview almost right after I arrived.
Do you remember what day they said they were meeting? I know they said they were meeting later that week but it was too soon to discuss our files. Was it every two weeks?
I am also coming from an unrelated undergrad degree...Dr. Cao questioned me about it but Dr. Vanderburgh thought it was great and there were a lot of parallels with education.
Anyway...goodluck to those waiting