I appreciate the warning but I believe I know as much about AF medicine as possible without being active duty myself. My mom is currently an active duty nurse and I have spent the past two years working with current, former and retired AF docs both on base and off in a variety of specialties. I have made personal and professional relationships with residents and physicians who knew what they signed up for and those who didnt, those who love it and those numbering their days till their commitment is up.
I think the milimed forum can skew things negatively but its kinda a good thing, four years seems a small price to pay to be debt free but its hard to see the whole picture when you see only what the recruiter puts in front of you...the forum savesa lot of young docs from making a big mistake.
If you want to be in CA because you want to end up there then go to Touro...I was just stating the inaccuracy of your cost of living claim. New York does suck, in my opinion and thats not just because im a bitter sox fan, but UNE doesnt do clinicals in NY city that I was told, or anywhere in the state...NJ, PA, RI, MA, NH, and ME yes, but NY no.
Driving in snow is probably the best part of winter, next to snowboarding, though the latter usually requires the former.
CA winters are mild much like FL, but their summers equally suck...its just a dry heat. Weather will never be perfect wherever you go so go where you can most tolerate it...for you that seems to be CA...good luck.
edit: I stand corrected on the NY state part of it...my 4 day old son is occupying my other hand and one handed typing is markedly slower