Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjz0001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to be in the military or sign up to be in the military to go here?

Their secondary application is really confusing because it seems like there are some really bizarre requirements here.

Anyone know anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have to be in the military or sign up to be in the military to go here?

Their secondary application is really confusing because it seems like there are some really bizarre requirements here.

Anyone know anything?

USUHS is not just a school, but a military program. It is obvious that you haven't looked into this enough. I suggest not applying.

Essentially, they give you a medical education in return for not less than seven years of military service and six years ready reserve. You become a commissioned officer (O-1) during training and get promoted to O-3 once you get the MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you go for free but then they require like 8 years of service at a military hospital. Also, military doesn't offer the residency choices that civilian programs do, so you'll be likely forced into a primary care residency...

Yeah, you go for free but then they require like 8 years of service at a military hospital. Also, military doesn't offer the residency choices that civilian programs do, so you'll be likely forced into a primary care residency...
the military has any residency you could think of, there are just limits on how many doctors they'll send in to each specialty, meaning you may or may not end up with the specialty you really want.

This school gives you tons of money while you attend because they give you your O-1 salary. The problem is that you need to serve 7 years AFTER finishing your residency or as a GMO (which is a wierd primary care doc with only one year of internship). Right now the military is always making drastic changes yearly affecting the residency choices that people can go into. I beleive that this year almost everyone is going to be forced to go into a specialty called flight surgeon, where you are in control of the health and well being of a squadron of pilots. I went to the Air Force Academy, and can tell you that if you sign up for this university, or a HPSP scholarship, you might have some serious headaches in the end.

The important thing to consider while applying here is that you have to want to be a military physician. This is very important because there are many differences from the typical path.

You will be used how the military needs you and you have to be ready to serve at any given time. More importantly, you are a commisioned officer in the military (you have your choice of branches to go into service with). do not take this desicion lightly because it is a huge commitment (basic training, field training, military medicine classes).

Lastly, this is not a good choice to recieve a full scholarship if that is all you are interested in. This is a great program for anybody who wants to definitely become a military doctor, but it is not for everybody. My suggestion would be to wait for acceptances at other schools and then apply for a military scholarship through the individual branch, where you will get an additional opportunity to see if the military is right for you.

Check out the military medicine forums on this site. Lots of info here on USUHS, HPSP, FAP.

Also consider the Air National Guard (ANG). I'm in what's called the Early Appointment for Physicians program. Doesn't give you as much money off the bat as USUHS or HPSP but your committment is only 4 years as a reservist after you graduate. This means that you can get a normal civilian residency/practice after school--with the caveat that you could get called up for fun in the sandbox at some point (though not during school). You also get tuition assistance during school and stipends and bonuses after you graduate. In my case it means the difference between coming out of school with $200K+ in loans vs. ~$100K.

There are lots of differing viewpoints on the military and active duty vs. reserves out there. The point that most people don't get when they are initially considering these programs is that you are signing up for military service and all of the fun that entails. I've been in the military since 1998 and I happen to like the Air Force and Air National Guard (which is different from the Army National Guard by the way)

Check out the military medicine forums on this site. Lots of info here on USUHS, HPSP, FAP.

Also consider the Air National Guard (ANG). I'm in what's called the Early Appointment for Physicians program. Doesn't give you as much money off the bat as USUHS or HPSP but your committment is only 4 years as a reservist after you graduate. This means that you can get a normal civilian residency/practice after school--with the caveat that you could get called up for fun in the sandbox at some point (though not during school). You also get tuition assistance during school and stipends and bonuses after you graduate. In my case it means the difference between coming out of school with $200K+ in loans vs. ~$100K.

There are lots of differing viewpoints on the military and active duty vs. reserves out there. The point that most people don't get when they are initially considering these programs is that you are signing up for military service and all of the fun that entails. I've been in the military since 1998 and I happen to like the Air Force and Air National Guard (which is different from the Army National Guard by the way)
how's the EAP handle residency? do you get all of your education out of the way before your service or do they impact your specialty selection?

how's the EAP handle residency? do you get all of your education out of the way before your service or do they impact your specialty selection?

Sorry I don't know what EAP is...I assume you are talking about the committment they want...as I understand it, your service starts after you graduate from school. They cannot tell you what to do for residency but they will throw a lot more bonuses and stipends at an internal medicine/ER/primary care/surgery type of residency then say dermatology.

Here's a link to the reg:

http://www.ngbpdc.ngb.army.mil/pubs/41/angi41_102.pdf

I'm not a recruiter or anything but I can tell anyone as much as I know if you PM me. I actually posted on the military forums about this program a few months back and didn't get any response...

Also if you are a vet, the state of TX has something called the Hazelwood Act which basically means school is free for you. Talk to Pemberley about it--she's starting at UTSW and I am very jealous. You can tell her I said that.