2021-2022 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe that’s incorrect , USU is restricted to giving only as many acceptances as the class size, so the total number of acceptances given could be multiples of the class size depending on how many candidates reject the acceptanc.
USU hands out about 265-280 acceptances/offers every cycle to fill a class size of around 165-175. They will never have more than 165-175 acceptances at a time, but they will accept more when applicants choose other schools, medically DQ, defer themselves, etc. They have the statistics on their website. Medschool, Admissions, Application Process

------------------------

Profile of the Class of 2025

3,300 applicants
289 offers to fill 173 spaces
Acceptance rate 9%

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

ftrdr2021, but you said that 289 are offered but again you say they don`t over accept. 289 is more than 175. I think 289 should include the waitlist to make sense of that idea. Meaning that 114 are from the waitlist. People move from the waitlist to fill up spots as vacancies become available. Correct mean if I am confused.​

ftrdr2021, but you said that 289 are offered but again you say they don`t over accept. 289 is more than 175. I think 289 should include the waitlist to make sense of that idea. Meaning that 114 are from the waitlist. People move from the waitlist to fill up spots as vacancies become available. Correct mean if I am confused.​

So 289 are not offered at once. They can only offer 173 or whatever at once and then when people decline they send more offers. So that’s why it’s 289 offers to fill less spots bc that’s how many offers it took to fill the class

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah but don’t they also convert people from the alternate list to wait list? Idk I feel like I e seen everyone that on the wait list get in eventually but it takes time. Not sure if this is true tho.

Yeah but don’t they also convert people from the alternate list to wait list? Idk I feel like I e seen everyone that on the wait list get in eventually but it takes time. Not sure if this is true tho.
In a typical cycle, USU will only make it through a portion of the waitlist and won't have the opportunity to pull many/any applicants from the alt list. However, there were a few cycles in the past where they've exhausted the WL. Statistically speaking, you have a 50-70% chance of getting a spot if you're on the waitlist (100-120ish A's from the WL, 175-200ish WL spots).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
A lot of it is also highly dependent on your selection of the branches (More Army spots than say Air Force). Definitely more complicated, but I expect April 30th for acceptances to start going out as people have to commit to one school.

Do I have to let them know that I’m willing to go to any branch of service, whatever spot becomes available ?

That was on your branch preference sheet.
Yes but would someone be stuck on the waitlist longer if the #1choice isn’t available? Or will USU reach out and offer the #2 choice and the option to stay on waitlist until #1 choice become available.

Yes but would someone be stuck on the waitlist longer if the #1choice isn’t available? Or will USU reach out and offer the #2 choice and the option to stay on waitlist until #1 choice become available.
I might be wrong but I believe your decision ultimately boils down to your board score. If you're next up in line for an A but your branch isn't available, you get offered a spot albeit in another branch. However, USU also tries to match applicants with their desired branch as much as possible. You could certainly change your branch preference but there's no way of knowing which branch(es) will experience the most waitlist movement. Last cycle, I ranked Navy > Army = AF and was given the opportunity to take an Army spot.

Historically, it's been Army > AF > Navy but it varies from year-to-year.

Yeah I bet there is also an element of being cleared medically which determines if you get a spot off the waitlist right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I bet there is also an element of being cleared medically which determines if you get a spot off the waitlist right?
Yeah, after 3/15 you can't be offered a conditional spot w/o medicals.

Yeah, after 3/15 you can't be offered a conditional spot w/o medicals.
yeah so essentially if you're completely healthy fully cleared for security purposes, your chances of acceptance off the waitlist are probably significant right?

yeah so essentially if you're completely healthy fully cleared for security purposes, your chances of acceptance off the waitlist are probably significant right?
I would assume so.

I know we’re all antsy to hear something definitive soon. Just hang in there, we made it to April 15 so just 2 more weeks of waiting and we can expect to be seeing significant movement starting May 2nd 🤞

Reactions: 5 users
Also, last year’s data (289 offers to fill 175 seats) offers a lot of hope. It means that of the current first year students, 114 were waitlisted and just 61 were accepted directly. So most people who ended up matriculating were once waitlisted. Good news for all of us waiting. Keep the faith and try to stay busy 😅

They offered me a conditional even though DoDMERB has shown me qualified since Nov
I think you misread what I said. If you were qualified before 3/15, that's why you were conditionally accepted. However, as was in my case, I was pending still on 3/15 and not qualified.

Someone earlier in the thread posted correspondence that stated if not medically qualified by 3/15 then a conditional acceptance was not an option.

Edit: conditional comes first, then unconditional

Last edited:
I think you misread what I said. If you were qualified before 3/15, that's why you were conditionally accepted. However, as was in my case, I was pending still on 3/15 and not qualified.

Someone earlier in the thread posted correspondence that stated if not medically qualified by 3/15 then a conditional acceptance was not an option.

Edit: conditional comes first, then unconditional
That makes sense!

WL yesterday. Interviewed Nov. 8th. I've talked with the Dean of Admissions before about waitlist status. He told me that WL is essentially a delayed acceptance. Virtually all WL's will be offered acceptances later on once accepted applicants start committing elsewhere. Additionally, if you are not medically cleared, they will hold you on WL then accept you upon medical clearance confirmation. Lastly, some acceptance spots are reserved for late round interviews in case an applicant blows the committee away. Once they get through interviews, I am sure that more spots will open. Congrats to those accepted or WL recently.
seeing this now, was wait listed very recently and interviewed back in January. USUHS is my top choice and my only choice. I understand that at this point of the year the waitlist is essentially the best case scenario but I am still concerned with the numbers since MSAR says 175-200 waitlists for 100 spots. How did you have the conversation with the admissions person? Did they tell you point blank that most people on the waitlist get off of it?

The wait-list is not a guaranteed acceptance. In best case scenario, it is around 55 to 65 percent. Every one is ranked based on a 15 scale. Candidates are selected based on the highest rankings. The selection process can go through both May and June so be patient.

Reactions: 2 users
seeing this now, was wait listed very recently and interviewed back in January. USUHS is my top choice and my only choice. I understand that at this point of the year the waitlist is essentially the best case scenario but I am still concerned with the numbers since MSAR says 175-200 waitlists for 100 spots. How did you have the conversation with the admissions person? Did they tell you point blank that most people on the waitlist get off of it?
Many of the waitlisted people could have withdrawn after getting into other schools

Reactions: 4 users
If I'm putting this together right. You can get chose army/AF/navy but they have no spots so you get put on the waitlist at say position #37. Other people can be "better candidates" so you transparently get bumped down to say #52.

Then there are 3 drivers of WL movement.
1) Completion of interviews releasing withheld slots.
2) Commit to enroll dates on April 15 and May 2.
3) DQs/failures to convert from conditional.

All of this can theoretically go out to two points in time. First day of officer training for each branch. First day of medical school for those prior commissioned therefore already completed that particular requirement.

Finally, at the 11th hour the day before class starts you could be offered a Navy spot...

If I'm putting this together right. You can get chose army/AF/navy but they have no spots so you get put on the waitlist at say position #37. Other people can be "better candidates" so you transparently get bumped down to say #52.

Then there are 3 drivers of WL movement.
1) Completion of interviews releasing withheld slots.
2) Commit to enroll dates on April 15 and May 2.
3) DQs/failures to convert from conditional.

All of this can theoretically go out to two points in time. First day of officer training for each branch. First day of medical school for those prior commissioned therefore already completed that particular requirement.

Finally, at the 11th hour the day before class starts you could be offered a Navy spot...
For people that haven't commissioned before, I believe they can complete officer training the following summer between M1/M2.

For people that haven't commissioned before, I believe they can complete officer training the following summer between M1/M2.
Wow! So if you could make the move overnight you could could literally make it in by the skin of your teeth if someone dropped out at the last minute.

With enough determination and flexibility there is still hope!

Wow! So if you could make the move overnight you could could literally make it in by the skin of your teeth if someone dropped out at the last minute.

With enough determination and flexibility there is still hope!
Assuming you haven’t already started school somewhere else since many schools start in July….

Is there like no movement this year??
Again, SDN is not a fair representation of the applicant pool. May 2nd is also a potential date for more waitlist movement because accepted students can commit to enroll and should only hold one acceptance.

The only things that are certain are (1) there is certainly waitlist movement and (2) movement will continue into Julyish.

Again, SDN is not a fair representation of the applicant pool. May 2nd is also a potential date for more waitlist movement because accepted students can commit to enroll and should only hold one acceptance.

The only things that are certain are (1) there is certainly waitlist movement and (2) movement will continue into Julyish.
Given how many people have reported a WL status, it just seems odd that more activity hasn't occurred on here. Then again, maybe we're all on the bottom half of the WL. Who knows. Let the waiting continue!

Given how many people have reported a WL status, it just seems odd that more activity hasn't occurred on here. Then again, maybe we're all on the bottom half of the WL. Who knows. Let the waiting continue!

I am manifesting being in the top half of the waitlist for my own sanity

• Love
Yeah we experienced a similar trend on last year's thread. Very few people reported moving off the waitlist as compared to previous years. We shall wait and see! Maybe we'll find out that some of us are next in line come May 2nd 🤔

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah we experienced a similar trend on last year's thread. Very few people reported moving off the waitlist as compared to previous years. We shall wait and see! Maybe we'll find out that some of us are next in line come May 2nd

I need more positivity out of you sir or ma’am!! We’re all getting in. It’ll be the biggest incoming class of all time!!!!!

• Love
I need more positivity out of you sir or ma’am!! We’re all getting in. It’ll be the biggest incoming class of all time!!!!!
I'm trying to find the fine line between positivity and delusion lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
USUHS aside, it seems that other schools misuse the waiting list. They use it, instead of giving rejections outright, to give illusion of hope when there is none. I don't believe USUHS does this intentionally, but in most cases, USUHS overall has a max of 50% pull from the waitlist when they state openly that their wait-list is a deferred acceptance. There must be a better way.

Last edited:
If you look at the threads from the last few years, there was significant WL movement at the end of April/beginning of May, so let’s be patient and continue to practice our running and push-ups lol. 🥵

If you look at the threads from the last few years, there was significant WL movement at the end of April/beginning of May, so let’s be patient and continue to practice our running and push-ups lol. 🥵
Did 11 miles this morning :1geek:

Did 11 miles this morning :1geek:
Jeez. Part of me thinks the Runner's High is a myth but then it seems like a form of meditating to relax and clear the mind. I get the same "high" from long-range shooting and squats.

Plus I have short legs so me and running are not friends :p

Still, definitely need to work on patience. Hurry up and wait will very much be a big part of our lives if/when we get in.

Jeez. Part of me thinks the Runner's High is a myth but then it seems like a form of meditating to relax and clear the mind. I get the same "high" from long-range shooting and squats.

Still, definitely need to work on patience. Hurry up and wait will very much be a big part of our lives if/when we get in.
Lifting weights is definitely not my thing. I'd much rather run for a couple of hours instead. Everyone has their niche, that's for sure!

If you're going Army, you should definitely check out the new ACFT events and standards, as well. It's a lot more than just running and push-ups!

I’m a rower lol so I’m hoping that I’ll be in shape regardless of what happens

Haha I spent a few years with the "more than 5 reps is cardio" mindset. Tried running and it's amazing when the weather, scenery, and pace are just right. It's far from my favorite form of cardio but I couldn't complain once I got used to it.

USUHS aside, it seems that other schools misuse the waiting list. They use it, instead of giving rejections outright, to give illusion of hope when there is none. I don't believe USUHS does this intentionally, but in most cases, USUHS overall has a max of 50% pull from the waitlist when they state openly that their wait-list is a deferred acceptance. There must be a better way.
I think they gotta put fewer people on the wait list and focus on using the whole wait list and growing the alternate list usage if the wait list is used. That way even though fewer people are on the WL it basically is a guaranteed acceptance and people can start planning accordingly.

If you're going Army, you should definitely check out the new ACFT events and standards, as well. It's a lot more than just running and push-ups!
Yes, haha I am aware. We just have to be inclusively motivational for the Air Force/Navy hopefuls with (*cough* easier *cough*) PT tests 😏

• Haha
Lifting weights is definitely not my thing. I'd much rather run for a couple of hours instead. Everyone has their niche, that's for sure!
I can max the deadlift but barely slide in under time for the run lol