2021-2022 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was hoping that I would never have to post this, but I will be withdrawing from the waitlist. Though I had every intention of attending USU, I will be attending a different institution through HPSP.

It has been a phenomenal two cycles with the USU cohort and I wish each and every one of you no less than the very best. You've all worked hard and I can't wait to work with you in the future.

Unfortunately, I was in contact with reputable sources who informed me that the incoming class is pretty much consolidated and that there is no expected waitlist movement left. With that being said, those still on the waitlist should not lose hope. You've already been recommended for admission, so there's always a next time. Plus, there is still a small chance that someone will disqualify during the officer trainings and a spot will open up. That's likely how I was accepted last cycle.

I declined my spot last year knowing the risks but I don't regret anything. It's not an optimal outcome for me, but it's helped me grow and I can still find a way to serve and raise my voice for those in need. I still have USU in my goals.

You guys rock. There's no other way to put it. You exemplify camaraderie and honor at an echelon of respect and responsibility that
I will strive to fulfill in my every pursuit and endeavor. (especially you, @Matthew9Thirtyfive i miss you and hope that you're doing well).

Until we meet again!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
I was hoping that I would never have to post this, but I will be withdrawing from the waitlist. Though I had every intention of attending USU, I will be attending a different institution through HPSP.

It has been a phenomenal two cycles with the USU cohort and I wish each and every one of you no less than the very best. You've all worked hard and I can't wait to work with you in the future.

Unfortunately, I was in contact with reputable sources who informed me that the incoming class is pretty much consolidated and that there is no expected waitlist movement left. With that being said, those still on the waitlist should not lose hope. You've already been recommended for admission, so there's always a next time. Plus, there is still a small chance that someone will disqualify during the officer trainings and a spot will open up. That's likely how I was accepted last cycle.

I declined my spot last year knowing the risks but I don't regret anything. It's not an optimal outcome for me, but it's helped me grow and I can still find a way to serve and raise my voice for those in need. I still have USU in my goals.

You guys rock. There's no other way to put it. You exemplify camaraderie and honor at an echelon of respect and responsibility that
I will strive to fulfill in my every pursuit and endeavor. (especially you, @Matthew9Thirtyfive i miss you and hope that you're doing well).

Until we meet again!
You are optimistic in a way I'm not sure I will ever be.
Best of luck to you, sincerely. Hopefully we'll cross paths in-person somewhere someday because I need some of that outlook in my life.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users

Until we meet again!

You have a HPSP therefore you will end up in a military residency like us anyway. It was truly wonderful getting to know you on this forum and I totally understand your decision and want nothing but the best for you. Going through this process has been a psychological battle which we all will be stronger after going through it. By the way, congratulations, you are finally going to be a doctor and truly serve others.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received the acceptance call yesterday for Army!!! I am thrilled to join many of you at USUHS soon. For those of you who haven’t been accepted, I reached out to Capt Liotta before I was accepted to ask for application feedback, and he was more than willing to provide it to me. He is very kind and helpful, so I’d encourage you all to get feedback from him if you intend to reapply this cycle. Best of luck to everyone.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Received the acceptance call yesterday for Army!!! I am thrilled to join many of you at USUHS soon. For those of you who haven’t been accepted, I reached out to Capt Liotta before I was accepted to ask for application feedback, and he was more than willing to provide it to me. He is very kind and helpful, so I’d encourage you all to get feedback from him if you intend to reapply this cycle. Best of luck to everyone.
Happy for you homie✌🏻

Same! Also got the call for Army just last night. I would second that Capt Liotta has been very kind and informative and would also highly recommend reaching out to him during the application process.
Thank you all for being so encouraging here! The wait is brutal sometimes. Best wishes to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations. I reached out to him a few times but no response haha. It said he’s on leaves until august.

Wondering what my chances here are as an ORM, disadvantaged reapplicant with 15,000+ hrs of clinical experience (EMT, ER tech, medical assistant, etc.).

Stats:

Undergrad science gpa 3.1
Undergrad non-science gpa 3.8
Undergrad overall gpa 3.4

Masters SMP/Science gpa 3.5

MCAT 504 :/

Research thesis graded A and received publication

Volunteer hours ~300

Both the initial GPA and MCAT are well on the low side of accepted candidates. The GPA is aided by the masters SMP GPA which strengthens application. Acceptance depends on competition, overall portfolio and interview.

Last edited:
I'm going to echo what Matthew9Thirtyfive has posted in the past and the USUHS admissions page.
It's been noted that USUHS considers any MCAT above 500 as worth a look.
GPA seems on the low side especially considering graduate work, but as it does include publication and research, I imagine it offsets some.
that much clinical experience, I'd say you're a strong contender.

How are you in terms of leadership experience?
As a reapplicant, what have you done since your previous application?
And I'm sure you've thought about it in previous cycles, but why military medicine?
I mean it costs you nothing to reapply so you might as well take your shot.

Last edited:
Just received the email saying we do not anticipate any future offerings. It's been a long wait but I appreciate the camaraderie here in this forum. Best of luck to all of you who have matriculated or are reapplying this coming year!

Reactions: 5 users
Was informed of my selection to AF HPSP this past Friday. Will see y’all in 4 years 🤟🏻

• Love
Reactions: 3 users