University of Arizona c/o 2024?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also waitlisted here. Happy and sad at the same time but hoping for the best.

HUGE congrats to those who got in!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
OOS acceptance!!! Still doesn't feel real. So happy and excited to meet everyone this Fall :D

and for those still waiting to hear or are waitlisted, don't give up. It will all work out in the end.

Reactions: 7 users
Got an email that said I'm outside the top 20 on my list and that if they go over this they will email me again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Samsies
I felt really good about everything with my application and interview.

However, Im excited that Ross is giving me the opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Samsies
I felt really good about everything with my application and interview.

However, Im excited that Ross is giving me the opportunity!

Agreed! I felt really good after the interview. Such a bummer! Congrats on Ross! Definitely worse places to spend a few years than on a beautiful island!

Reactions: 1 user
As much as I loved Arizona, I am denying my seat for Michigan state. Wanted to let the waitlisted friends here know so hopefully that will help one of you out! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
As much as I loved Arizona, I am denying my seat for Michigan state. Wanted to let the waitlisted friends here know so hopefully that will help one of you out! Good luck everyone!
Do you mind sharing which factor (or factors) were most important in your decision? Just curious as to how people who have multiple offers are deciding between programs and determining which is the best fit for them.

Do you mind sharing which factor (or factors) were most important in your decision? Just curious as to how people who have multiple offers are deciding between programs and determining which is the best fit for them.
Sure! So, I am a nontraditional student. I am married and have two young kids so therefore my reasoning process is a little different than how most traditional students would decide but here are a few general factors my husband and I looked at:

1. Personal factors/family: We used to live in the midwest so we have a lot of friends just a few hours away from MSU. In AZ, we don’t know anyone. My husband also has a sister close to MSU and during periods of time where I am extremely occupied with school, he can take the kids and go stay with her for a weekend or so. Gives him a break from taking care of the kids all on his own. Its definitely important to think about all the stakeholders during the next four years. And I have to make sure my husband has some support. Now, the weather is BEAUTIFUL in AZ and my husband who is an avid motorcycle rider will be sacrificing his hobby a lot in Michigan unfortunately. So that was a huge aspect of AZ that we were really attracted to. My girls are also great swimmers and the thought of having a pool for all year round was nice but we know that being closer to family outweighs those hobbies...

2. Financial aspects: at first MSU OOS tuition was going to cost more than AZ tuition. But I got lucky and MSU announced a decent tuition reduction for their OOS students this year and that has made MSU tuition slightly cheaper than AZ. Also, Tucson will have a higher cost of living than Michigan.

3. The program and curriculum itself: MSU just went through a major curriculum modification in the past 2 years. Their curriculum is extremely hands on and similar to AZ, their deans are very committed in helping students learn better and retain the information for longer. They are dedicating quite a bit of time making sure that their students are day 1 ready! I was honestly very impressed with AZ’s student focused model as well but I do believe that 3 years vs. 4 years makes a difference. By no means I am saying that it can’t be done but I know for me personally, having a little extra time in the summers would be really valuable for my daughters. Basically, if I am at it for 3 years straight, so are my husband and kids. So they deserve a break as well and a 4 year program would provide that small relief time. Again, I think many people are capable of going through without any breaks but I do know that for a school like Ross, where the program is also accelerated, many students do end up failing a class or two at some point bringing their graduation time to that 4 yr mark, if not more. And given that AZ is a new program, I was a little concerned what the contingencies would look like in that scenario. However, I am sure they have thought this through but myself personally didn’t feel comfortable with that thought. Also, I did see a lot of advocacy for diversity and inclusion at MSU. As a person of color, that slightly matters to me as well (not that its an extremely big factor but it is something important for my core values personally).

4. Accreditation: honestly this is not a monumental factor but since I did have a choice between a fully accredited school with a teaching hospital and a brand new program without a teaching hospital, I just felt more comfortable in leaning towards a more established program. Again, I want to reiterate that this is really not a big deal because all students attending AZ this year will be able to sit for NAVLE when the time comes and nothing is differentiating them from other programs in regards to how AVMA treats that process.

Sorry about the lengthy response, but hopefully some of this thought process helps someone else if they need it. Again, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi yall! Is anyone else interested in specializing and therefore concerned about matching for an internship (3rd year is Aug-Aug, most internships start in June-July)? I asked Dean Funk and Dean Maciulla about this and this is the jist of what they advised:
  • You would have to use match for the following year so 2024, and find a way to fill your time from graduation in Aug 2023 to the following summer.
  • Look into internships that don’t use the match system.
  • Fill clinical year electives with places you’d want to intern so you can network and ask if they would allow a later start date.
  • They also believe Match is going to fade out, but I don’t want to rely on such a bold statement!
This is my only interview/acceptance in my 3rd cycle applying. I have no in-state school, and while this year’s application reviews were very optimistic there is no guarantee I’ll get in anywhere next cycle.
I was genuinely impressed by everything else at UofA and can very much see myself there, but this is weighing pretty heavy on my heart so maybe seeing how others are coping with this obstacle will help get me the clarity I need!

Last edited:
Hi yall! Is anyone else interested in specializing and therefore concerned about matching for an internship (3rd year is Aug-Aug, most internships start in June-July)? I asked Dean Funk and Dean Maciulla about this and this is the jist of what they advised:
  • You would have to use match for the following year so 2024, and find a way to fill your time from graduation in Aug 2023 to the following summer.
  • Look into internships that don’t use the match system.
  • Fill clinical year electives with places you’d want to intern so you can network and ask if they would allow a later start date.
  • They also believe Match is going to fade out, but I don’t want to rely on such a bold statement!
This is my only interview/acceptance in my 3rd cycle applying. I have no in-state school, and while this year’s application reviews were very optimistic there is no guarantee I’ll get in anywhere next cycle.
I was genuinely impressed by everything else at UofA and can very much see myself there, but this is weighing pretty heavy on my heart so maybe seeing how others are coping with this obstacle will help get me the clarity I need!

I’d advise getting advice from people that have been through this process before. My next thought would be that your last few blocks for rotations are elective blocks and graduation, if there is an internship you match to I wonder if it’s possible to have a bit of wiggle room to build that into your elective block or not? Obviously attending graduation is a personal decision. Pure speculation on my end. My last thought is that there Internships for those that don’t match, or decided after the fact that they wanted to do an internship, which it sounds like they mentioned. I’m not familiar with the timeline, do these start later? Would those be an option for you? It sounds like they gave you some good advice and it sounds like an internship is still very likely in the realm of possibility that year.
Edit: personally if I were in your shoes, I would take the acceptance and figure out the internship technicalities later. Even if you have to start your internship a year after graduation, you’ll still have the ability to practice in that time period, which allows you extra experience (and $). The internship plan you may have originally pictured might end up working out a bit differently than anticipated, but I’m confident that the school will help you in any capacity they can, and you will also advocate for yourself to start your internship in one way or another. The risk of reapplication would be too high, both financially and in general when it sounds like the biggest downside would be an extra year between when you’d graduate and before you could match. Which, again, at least you have the ability to practice as a DVM in the interim. Just my opinion, though. You obviously have to do what’s best for you and what you feel like is right.

Last edited:
Sure! So, I am a nontraditional student. I am married and have two young kids so therefore my reasoning process is a little different than how most traditional students would decide but here are a few general factors my husband and I looked at:

1. Personal factors/family: We used to live in the midwest so we have a lot of friends just a few hours away from MSU. In AZ, we don’t know anyone. My husband also has a sister close to MSU and during periods of time where I am extremely occupied with school, he can take the kids and go stay with her for a weekend or so. Gives him a break from taking care of the kids all on his own. Its definitely important to think about all the stakeholders during the next four years. And I have to make sure my husband has some support. Now, the weather is BEAUTIFUL in AZ and my husband who is an avid motorcycle rider will be sacrificing his hobby a lot in Michigan unfortunately. So that was a huge aspect of AZ that we were really attracted to. My girls are also great swimmers and the thought of having a pool for all year round was nice but we know that being closer to family outweighs those hobbies...

2. Financial aspects: at first MSU OOS tuition was going to cost more than AZ tuition. But I got lucky and MSU announced a decent tuition reduction for their OOS students this year and that has made MSU tuition slightly cheaper than AZ. Also, Tucson will have a higher cost of living than Michigan.

3. The program and curriculum itself: MSU just went through a major curriculum modification in the past 2 years. Their curriculum is extremely hands on and similar to AZ, their deans are very committed in helping students learn better and retain the information for longer. They are dedicating quite a bit of time making sure that their students are day 1 ready! I was honestly very impressed with AZ’s student focused model as well but I do believe that 3 years vs. 4 years makes a difference. By no means I am saying that it can’t be done but I know for me personally, having a little extra time in the summers would be really valuable for my daughters. Basically, if I am at it for 3 years straight, so are my husband and kids. So they deserve a break as well and a 4 year program would provide that small relief time. Again, I think many people are capable of going through without any breaks but I do know that for a school like Ross, where the program is also accelerated, many students do end up failing a class or two at some point bringing their graduation time to that 4 yr mark, if not more. And given that AZ is a new program, I was a little concerned what the contingencies would look like in that scenario. However, I am sure they have thought this through but myself personally didn’t feel comfortable with that thought. Also, I did see a lot of advocacy for diversity and inclusion at MSU. As a person of color, that slightly matters to me as well (not that its an extremely big factor but it is something important for my core values personally).

4. Accreditation: honestly this is not a monumental factor but since I did have a choice between a fully accredited school with a teaching hospital and a brand new program without a teaching hospital, I just felt more comfortable in leaning towards a more established program. Again, I want to reiterate that this is really not a big deal because all students attending AZ this year will be able to sit for NAVLE when the time comes and nothing is differentiating them from other programs in regards to how AVMA treats that process.

Sorry about the lengthy response, but hopefully some of this thought process helps someone else if they need it. Again, good luck to everyone!

I completely understand where you're coming from. My family is here in TN and my husband's family is in GA so I'm nervous about moving out to AZ with my toddler, but I have uncles that live in Phoenix so at least we have a bit of family nearby. He's not school aged yet, so we figured it would be a good time to move since he hasn't established any friendships yet and that atmosphere is a lot healthier and culturally diverse for my husband. I am a person of color as well and I actually had a long conversation with Dean Funk about Diversity and Inclusion and what steps they're taking to advocate and support that area and she had even asked me for advice in particular areas. I was really happy about what she was talking about and what they're in the process of doing right now and what they're planning on doing. Good luck at MSU!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I completely understand where you're coming from. My family is here in TN and my husband's family is in GA so I'm nervous about moving out to AZ with out toddler, but I have uncles that live in Phoenix so at least we have a bit of family nearby. He's not school aged yet, so we figured it would be a good time to move since he hasn't established any friendships yet and that atmosphere is a lot healthier and culturally diverse for my husband. I am a person of color as well and I actually had a long conversation with Dean Funk about Diversity and Inclusion and what steps they're taking to advocate and support that area and she had even asked me for advice in particular areas. I was really happy about what she was talking about and what they're in the process of doing right now and what they're planning on doing. Good luck at MSU!
Good luck to you at Arizona! Feel free to stay in touch as I know theres only a handful of student parents across different schools. Things are going to get tough but we can definitely support each other!

I haven't heard anything yet and I am #10 on the IS list.
Did they tell you your exact number or did you have to ask them? They didn't tell me in my email for OOS

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Did they tell you your exact number or did you have to ask them? They didn't tell me in my email for OOS

They emailed me the day after the wait list email with my number on the list. I believe it was Tara who sent the email!

They emailed me the day after the wait list email with my number on the list. I believe it was Tara who sent the email!
I read my email again. They only told the top 10 their exact number. My email just says I'm in the top 20, I just want to know if I'm #11 or #20.

I read my email again. They only told the top 10 their exact number. My email just says I'm in the top 20, I just want to know if I'm #11 or #20.

Waiting is driving me nuts ....
Has anyone received updates regarding the waitlists?

I’m #10 and haven’t heard anything yet
I am #5 on in state waitlist and have not received any updates regarding status. I know my personal page set up by them got a new tab added "admissions requirements." It has more info on required pre-requisites and deadlines if you don't have all your classes done.

GroupMe chat for accepted students:

Impatient 2.0. Curious as to how much the waitlist may move.

I have accepted my seat to Ross considering my position, but interested for my friends who are higher up on the list!

I am #5 on in state waitlist and have not received any updates regarding status. I know my personal page set up by them got a new tab added "admissions requirements." It has more info on required pre-requisites and deadlines if you don't have all your classes done.

I’m 11-21 on the OOS and have this same thing on my url. I’m guessing it doesn’t mean too much? I was going to remove them from my FAFSA soon (they went on before interviews) because I’m not expecting much movement.

I’m 11-21 on the OOS and have this same thing on my url. I’m guessing it doesn’t mean too much? I was going to remove them from my FAFSA soon (they went on before interviews) because I’m not expecting much movement.

Out of state wait lists usually move up faster than in state. So you never know:)

Can come confirm. The dean just told us the current demographics and there’s 47 IS and 40 OOS accepted seats so far. It may be a little more since these numbers were as of Friday

I think someone might have mentioned before, but I can't find it... How many IS and OOS spaces do they offer? Thanks!

I think someone might have mentioned before, but I can't find it... How many IS and OOS spaces do they offer? Thanks!
In my waitlist email they said 45 IS spots and they want a class of 110 so 65 OOS.. since 47 have accepted they probably offered more spots IS than they intended to have.

In my waitlist email they said 45 IS spots and they want a class of 110 so 65 OOS.. since 47 have accepted they probably offered more spots IS than they intended to have.

Keep in mind that virtually every school over accepts knowing that people will decline their acceptance to go elsewhere like their in state.

That's a crazy difference between in state and out of state!

Keep in mind that virtually every school over accepts knowing that people will decline their acceptance to go elsewhere like their in state.

I think with UAZ it’ll be different because a large portion of applicants were first time applicants. The application was free and some have never even been through VMCAS or applied to any other school, because if that i think the number of people accepting their seats will be higher.

I am fine going to Ross, nothing wrong with living on an island

I think with UAZ it’ll be different because a large portion of applicants were first time applicants. The application was free and some have never even been through VMCAS or applied to any other school, because if that i think the number of people accepting their seats will be higher.

I am fine going to Ross, nothing wrong with living on an island

I think a brand new school would have accounted for those factors though, particularly since it sounds that Arizona has had a smoother opening cycle compared to LIU. They appeal to the same demographic of student and LIU hasnt had nearly the same positive response in their thread. LMU and MU went through a lot of their wait list the year they opened, too. Historically, new schools have a very fluid first couple of classes. Having more out of state than in state for a state university is still pretty crazy town.

I think its absolutely worth it for anyone on the waitlist to keep Arizona on their FAFSA until the bitter end. You dont lose anything by keeping them there.

During the interview process the team leader I had said they only had 90 OOS applicants and all other applicants were IS. If 40 people already accepted their seats I doubt if they did much “over offering”. It was so late in the season and unique of an opportunity I think the usual rules just didn’t really apply. We shall see on the 16th. I’m also ok with Ross at this point as it is already accredited, and has lectures instead of all TBL.

During the interview process the team leader I had said they only had 90 OOS applicants and all other applicants were IS.

That definitely is outside the norm. :laugh: It would be interesting to see how that compares to LIU, LMU, MU, and UWestern.

That definitely is outside the norm. :laugh: It would be interesting to see how that compares to LIU, LMU, MU, and UWestern.

LMU offers spots to 3 people because the norm is that most people will flip flop or not pay on the 15th. It’s definitely not comparing to them. To be fair though AZ is so much more organized already...it feels like a reputable school in comparison to LMU. The disorganization here is bad. Really, really bad. They act like a for profit school essentially. I’m guessing it’s very similar to Ross (stories are all very relatable to here) so I’ll be prepared for that.

During the interview process the team leader I had said they only had 90 OOS applicants and all other applicants were IS. If 40 people already accepted their seats I doubt if they did much “over offering”. It was so late in the season and unique of an opportunity I think the usual rules just didn’t really apply. We shall see on the 16th. I’m also ok with Ross at this point as it is already accredited, and has lectures instead of all TBL.

During interview weekend the dean told us 90 IS and 160 OOS interviewed

Update to my previous post:

We are at 101 acceptances, 44 IS and 57 OOS

During interview weekend the dean told us 90 IS and 160 OOS interviewed

It seems like we were all given different numbers so none of us know the truth. Seems like a weird thing to be so vague about. So the original 47 accepted seats for IS is not right? Now the numbers make sense. Looks like no one is coming off the waitlist...

It seems like we were all given different numbers so none of us know the truth. Seems like a weird thing to be so vague about. So the original 47 accepted seats for IS is not right? Now the numbers make sense. Looks like no one is coming off the waitlist...

The dean always said there was way more OOS than IS applicants so that split makes sense. The IS seats were originally 47, but the drop I guess is due to people getting off the waitlist elsewhere and giving up the seat at UAZ

Why would someone pay their fees before the 15th if they had a chance to get into another school? I’m skeptical of any numbers they randomly give out to people now! Lol

The dean always said there was way more OOS than IS applicants so that split makes sense. The IS seats were originally 47, but the drop I guess is due to people getting off the waitlist elsewhere and giving up the seat at UAZ
Thank you for sharing the numbers with us. Much appreciated.

Why would someone pay their fees before the 15th if they had a chance to get into another school? I’m skeptical of any numbers they randomly give out to people now! Lol

Many people put a deposit down to ensure they have somewhere to go. It’s a common practice

Many people put a deposit down to ensure they have somewhere to go. It’s a common practice

I dont know. $1,000 is alot to just put down on one school to have a high chance to get off another waitlist that you would rather go to, That adds up. Atleast for me it does

I dont know. $1,000 is alot to just put down on one school to have a high chance to get off another waitlist that you would rather go to, That adds up. Atleast for me it does

The $1,000 fee was waived. So there’s no risk for UAZ. But even then, I know many people on Facebook that have said they put their deposit down but will forfeit it if they got into their dream school

The $1,000 fee was waived. So there’s no risk for UAZ. But even then, I know many people on Facebook that have said they put their deposit down but will forfeit it if they got into their dream school

Waived for IS? Most people definitely wait until the 15th if they’re waiting on another school. I am!

Waived for IS? Most people definitely wait until the 15th if they’re waiting on another school. I am!

Waived for OOS, IS didn't have to pay from the beginning. They waived it due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users