University of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if Georgia offers the Health Professional Student Loan program? Couldn't find it on the website.
Thanks

I think you'd have to call and ask the student financial aid office about the HPSL program.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about a little distraction from references and acceptance letters?

Anyone planning on going to the vet school open house on April 3?

Anyone planning on going to the vet school open house on April 3?

I am :) Of course, we freshmen run the thing.

Might I remind everyone that it's FRIDAY, April 3! Be sure you take the day off. It's quite fun and there are activities at the two fraternities afterward as well. Make sure you pick up your car before you go over to the frats :) My mistake last year :oops:

Heck Ya Guys!

I just got my acceptance in the mail! It was a regular size envelope, so for those of you still waiting, don't freak out like I did. FYI. None of my references were called.

Best of luck!

PS. Letter was postmarked 3/12

Plain envelope? Must be one of the new cost-saving measures. They could save more money using e-mail, no?

Congratulations atlganon! Good luck to everyone else as the letters filter out! :luck:

Heyyyy... Just got my acceptance in the mail an hour ago!!! I almost freaked out when I saw the small, regular size, business envelope too, lol. I opened it expecting to see a rejection or waitlist, but it was an acceptance!!! And ya, I had one reference called...
Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Oh...this thread is making me nervous now! Congrats to those accepted and GOOD LUCK TO those waiting (ahem...LVT2DVM!!!) :luck: :xf: :xf:

Got my acceptance today, too! It was also in a standard envelope. None of my references were called that I know of but I didn't ask all of them if they'd been contacted.
Good luck everyone!!! :luck::luck::luck:

I was placed on the alternate list - not given a number though so who knows...

anyone have any info on wait listed applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
No mail here in SC today...I guess it takes a little longer for us OOS folks. Congrats to all you Georgians that got in today!! Hopefully tomorrow will be the day for the rest of us!:luck::xf::luck:

No mail here in DE either, last year it took 3 (very long) days to get letters after IS people got theirs. Ugh! OMG. I cant believe the decisions are made and I have to wait.......When will UGA discover email?

Of course my insider is on spring break and cant go by the deans door....boo whoo whoo.

Is there a list on the door??

I went by the admissions office today, and they said they wouldn't post the list until everyone had time to receive their letters.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Hope to see you here in the fall!

:soexcited:Congrats everybody!

atlganon: IS; ref not called; ACCEPTED
copticvet9: IS; one ref contacted; ACCEPTED
GACowgirl: IS; ref. contact unknown;
lenmaca: IS; ref contact unknown; ACCEPTED
Spyisis: IS; ref. called earlier this week;
turkeytalk: IS; ref contacted on Thursday 3/5;
Veridianbunny: IS; ref called on Thursday 2/26; WAIT-LIST
LVT2DVM: OSS DE Contract; ref called on Monday 3/09
BayleeVet2B: OOS, SC Contract, ref contact unknown
DemosthenesUSC: OOS, SC Contract, ref contact unknown
Yorkielover: OOS SC Contract, no refs called yet

Hey, where is gacowgirl, spyisis and turkeytalk?

Heyyyy... Just got my acceptance in the mail an hour ago!!! I almost freaked out when I saw the small, regular size, business envelope too, lol. I opened it expecting to see a rejection or waitlist, but it was an acceptance!!! And ya, I had one reference called...
Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Was it thick or thin?

When I was calling the vets I worked for to let them know the good news, they let me know that UGA had called them.

lenmaca: IS; one ref contacted; ACCEPTED
Spyisis: IS; ref. called earlier this week;

Yeah, where are ya turkeytalk?!!?

Spyisis: IS; ref. called earlier this week; Rejected

Ohhhh, Spyisis. Im soooo sorry. I know how you feel right now. Majorly sucks. Did you apply/get accepted anywhere else?

3 rejections so far and oddly enough Western called me today and told me my email bounced back, they are resending it, so I am anxiously refreshing my email to see what they say, they are my last school. So in other words it will all be over in a matter of hours.

I appreciate your sympathies, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Ohhhh, Spyisis. Im soooo sorry. I know how you feel right now. Majorly sucks. Did you apply/get accepted anywhere else?

I'm sorry as well Spyisis. Hopefully you will be getting some good news soon from Western!

I personally can't help but feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve. All of the excitement is there since tomorrow may be the day. Yet, on Christmas day we normally get cheerful and fun presents, which may not be the case when I open my own letter. However, I will just be glad when it is all over with so I can quit worrying about things, and discontinue running both acceptance and rejection scenarios in my mind.

Aquavet14: IS; ref contacted 2/26, WAIT-LISTED

I just got my acceptance letter to UGA today... Friday the 13th! I got my acceptance to VMRCVM last month on Friday the 13th ...and I always thought it was bad luck! I will definetely be going to UGA though... it's always been my dream.. but They called my references this year, but they also called them last year when I was rejected... so I'm not sure how much it means if they call or dont call... but it definetely freaked me out when it was in the small business envelope but don't worry even the small envelopes can carry good news!!! good luck to everyone!

Congratulations ugavet! Are you IS/OSS?

Oh...... LVT2DVM.... I am SOOOO hoping for some great news for you.

I don't expect to get in at UGA, but I'll post when I hear. I'm thinking I'll have mine by Monday.

congratulations to everyone who has gotten good news from UGA!

I am going to do a research project at UGA this summer and I was wondering if a current student (vet or undergrad, or anyone familiar with Athens & the location of the vet school) would be willing to PM me about good places to live. I am trying to find a sublet where I can easily get downtown (actually I would prefer to live downtown) and still easily get to work at the vet school and NOT bring a car with me down to Georgia. Any advice or help would be appreciated (and if you have a place for sublet...even better!)

Last edited:
Oh...... LVT2DVM.... I am SOOOO hoping for some great news for you.

I don't expect to get in at UGA, but I'll post when I hear. I'm thinking I'll have mine by Monday.

HO-HUM...looks like I wont get mine until Monday either. Where the heck is turkeytalk?

congrats fellow Dawgs! I am very, very happy and excited for you. I don't usually post but I wanted to just to say that and one other thing....

I saw one person posted about housing and I just want to let him/her know and anyone else that Athens is experiencing a lot of crime right now and you need to choose where you live wisely. If you can, get something with a security system. Do not by any means live off Talassee Road (west side), which is where I live now, I have been broken into twice in about 5 months, even with dogs, and also someone was letting air out of my tires and turning off our motion sensor lights. It's really a pain to deal with, not to mention scarey. robberies and break-ins are rampant right now, the detective on our case told us they get something like 100 break-ins, etc. every 2 weeks. Just be smart, leave lights/tv on when you leave, use your security system if you have one, and get renter's insurance, and you'll probably be fine. If you would like to ask me about an area, you can send me a PM, and I'll let you know if I have an opinion. Craigslist is a good place to look, and this is a very pet friendly town, too.
We have a website that we go to that will show you the crime in that area if you type in an address, I'll try to get it and share it with everyone.

Wow, congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Sorry I've been MIA... 11-hour workdays + friends visiting last night = zero time to even acknowledge the existence of the laptop. This is really scary... My mom didn't get any mail at home, and since I'm in Orlando right now, I guess I'll receive a letter about the same time as the OSS kids? I'll post when I hear back.

Spyisis, I'm very sad for you. I've heard good things about Western, though, so good luck there!

Veridianbunny and Aquavet, there's still hope! The Alternate List is a mixed blessing. It's kind of annoying because it simply prolongs the wait, but you're that much closer to getting in than you were before! They only put 20-30 people on the wait list at UGA, so congratulations! I knew at least two kids who made it in off the waitlist before April 15th (the day they started giving out numbers) last year, and I think they accepted maybe 5 applicants after that.

I was wait-listed at UGA last year, so I asked everyone about numbers. I met a student who was ninth on the waitlist and got in, but I also met a student who was first and ended up being the only student admitted from the waitlist. And other times they've gone into the 20s just before/during the first week of school because someone decided at the last minute to go to med school instead of vet school and UGA needed someone who could afford to fill that spot. So send in your FAFSA and secure your funding so you're ready if they call you on August 19th!

Got my letter today!!!! Don't worry LVT2DVM yours will come on Monday!

Thanks, Turkeytalk! Good luck to you, too! I am sure you have a great chance since you were wait-listed last year and I am sure they will see how much you improved your application from last year.

I am a first time applicant, so not where I was hoping to be, but at least not yet rejected. I have 2 friends who made it off of the wait-list in past years at UGA and they have been encouraging. I am hoping my dream can be realized this year. I have fought so hard to go back to school and make my passions for animals a reality! Hang in there, everyone, who is wait-listed. We should encourage each other as the days go by. This could be a long wait. Turkeytalk, what number did you end up being last year on the wait-list? Anyone know if they sent all of the acceptances out at the same time and the rejections later?

Thanks, Turkeytalk! Good luck to you, too! I am sure you have a great chance since you were wait-listed last year and I am sure they will see how much you improved your application from last year.

I am a first time applicant, so not where I was hoping to be, but at least not yet rejected. I have 2 friends who made it off of the wait-list in past years at UGA and they have been encouraging. I am hoping my dream can be realized this year. I have fought so hard to go back to school and make my passions for animals a reality! Hang in there, everyone, who is wait-listed. We should encourage each other as the days go by. This could be a long wait. Turkeytalk, what number did you end up being last year on the wait-list? Anyone know if they sent all of the acceptances out at the same time and the rejections later?

Thanks! I think I started at 8 (after April 15th... I must have been higher than that before April 15th) and may have ended at 4 or 5. (Yeah, UGA's list doesn't move much...)

BTW, I may be wrong, but I don't think that improving your application really gives you much of an edge the second time around. The admissions counselors told me that they don't look at your application from last year, so they really can't see how you've improved (unless they see that you've retaken courses recently, I guess). I hope that will work to my advantage because I completely changed the direction of my personal statement this year. lol. If not, maybe ISU will let me in off their waitlist. :xf:

Then again, maybe we'll all be classmates at UGA! :D Don't forget, the waitlist is kind of an honor. Sure, it's not as great as an acceptance at first, but maybe you'll appreciate it more when you do get in.

YAHOO..BAYLEEVET! I JUST KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO GET ACCEPTED...YOU TOTALLY ROCK!:highfive::clap::bow:

Forgot to mention...while I didnt get UGA mail today, I did get a nice cease and desist stalking order from my mail carrier.

"Dear Ms.LVT2DVM

We appreciate the excitement our customers express with their daily mail service and are happy to serve. However your routine mail carrier has expressed concern in regards to your recent behavior. For the emotional well being of our USPS carriers, we request that you please stop the following activities: 1) skipping behind the postal vehicles singing He's got the whole world in his hands, 2) flying a flag on your mailbox that reads all UGA mail must be delivered here first and 3) igniting fireworks each time the mail carrier places mail in your box. Thank you for your continued support and we sincerely hope you seek professional help with your mail fetish."

USA Postmaster General

:laugh::lol:Sorry couldn't resist

Last edited:
Thanks! I think I started at 8 (after April 15th... I must have been higher than that before April 15th) and may have ended at 4 or 5. (Yeah, UGA's list doesn't move much...)

BTW, I may be wrong, but I don't think that improving your application really gives you much of an edge the second time around. The admissions counselors told me that they don't look at your application from last year, so they really can't see how you've improved (unless they see that you've retaken courses recently, I guess). I hope that will work to my advantage because I completely changed the direction of my personal statement this year. lol. If not, maybe ISU will let me in off their waitlist. :xf:

Then again, maybe we'll all be classmates at UGA! :D Don't forget, the waitlist is kind of an honor. Sure, it's not as great as an acceptance at first, but maybe you'll appreciate it more when you do get in.

Yes, you're right it's an honor to be considered that far in the application process. I was very happy yesterday....just more waiting...which might solidify my stomach ulcer by the summer. :(

Anyway, one of my friends who got in last year had applied the year before. During the 2nd application year when her reference was called UGA mentioned to her reference that she had done "x amount of things to improve her application" which looked good to them. Who knows if they always look at that from year to year, but I know there was a place on the UGA paper application that asked if you had applied before so maybe some schools look at the recent things the applicant has done and they realize that the applicant has done that since the previous year. Am I over-analyzing?

Here's hoping we are classmates.

Congratulations BayleeVet! :love:

HI SPAYLADY--Dont forget to put your name on the UGA status list for the newbies. I really hope I get to meet you someday. Thanks for all the encouraging words. When do you finish your graduate work?

Thanks Spaylady and LVT2DVM and Lenmaca....I still can't believe I'M GOING TO VET SCHOOL!!!!! We were out shopping for weddng gowns for my older sister that is getting married and were in different cars coming home. I got the mail and ran in my apartment and no one was home yet. I called my mom and she didn't answer. I ran back out in the parking lot and they were coming around the corner of the complex in the car. My mom said she could see me jumping up and down waving my letter in my hand at the far end of the parking lot and they all knew it was good news!!!!! My mom cried...I cried...lots of hugging and tears....still can't believe it!

Good luck to you tomorrow LVT2DVM...lots of :luck::luck::luck::luck: for you!!!!!

Hey BayleeVet! Congratulations! I also received my letter yesterday, and I've been waitlisted. So, I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping we may be classmates in the fall. Also, LVT2DVM, I'm hoping for the best tomorrow when you get your letter. Good luck!

HI SPAYLADY--Dont forget to put your name on the UGA status list for the newbies. I really hope I get to meet you someday. Thanks for all the encouraging words. When do you finish your graduate work?

Hey, T! Here's hoping that your mail carrier will get that magic letter to you tomorrow! I can't wait to meet you at UGA in August. :luck::luck::luck::luck::xf:

Hey BayleeVet! Congratulations! I also received my letter yesterday, and I've been waitlisted. So, I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping we may be classmates in the fall. Also, LVT2DVM, I'm hoping for the best tomorrow when you get your letter. Good luck!
Thanks DemosthenesUSC!! I hope that the waitlist moves quickly and you know VERY SOON!!! GOOD LUCK:luck:

Aquavet14: IS; ref contacted 2/26, ALTERNATE
Veridianbunny: IS; ref called on Thursday 2/26; ALTERNATE
:welcome:abbie302:OSS DE Contract; ref contact unknown
BayleeVet2B: OOS, SC Contract, ref contact unknown;ACCEPTED
DemosthenesUSC: OOS, SC Contract, ref contact unknown;ALTERNATE

OK..so who's going to start the Facebook group....UGA CVM Class of 2013 !!

Last edited:
OK..so who's going to start OUR Facebook group....UGA CVM Class of 2013 !!

I vote for you! Go ahead do, do, do it. Woof, Woof, Woof, Go dawgs!

Last edited:
I got accepted! Woo hoo!!! :soexcited:

Aquavet14: IS; ref contacted 2/26, ALTERNATE
Veridianbunny: IS; ref called on Thursday 2/26; ALTERNATE
:welcome:abbie302:OSS DE Contract; ref contact unknown
BayleeVet2B: OOS, SC Contract, ref contact unknown;ACCEPTED
DemosthenesUSC: OOS, SC Contract, ref contact unknown;ALTERNATE
Yorkielover: OOS SC Contract, red contacted ACCEPTED

:highfive::clap::soexcited::hardy: CONGRATULATIONS YORKIELOVER87!

I saw you sign in and I was waiting with baited breathe. :D

rejected, OOS, but this was expected. Congrats to those who got in!