University of Illinois c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I just got the email about the GRE scores. Does anyone know if we are suppose to send it to their school code only, or to the vet medicine department as well? Just a little nervous...

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got the email about the GRE scores. Does anyone know if we are suppose to send it to their school code only, or to the vet medicine department as well? Just a little nervous...

The website just says 1836, which is the code for U of I (not vet med in particular): http://vetmed.illinois.edu/education/doctor-veterinary-medicine-degree/admissions/apply/ I sent it to both but I don't know if it matters.

What did the email say? I haven't submitted VMCAS yet so I didn't get one.

That they were extending the score deadline to 10/01 and to send it to that code... I think I'll send it again without the department code.

Members don't see this ad :)
That they were extending the score deadline to 10/01 and to send it to that code... I think I'll send it again without the department code.

Ah, thanks. I'd at least call first before spending an extra $27! There's plenty of time before 10/01 and I doubt the extra code would cause a problem.

I called earlier today and they said I would have to call ETS instead. They told me it was sent but apparently no One can tell me if it was received. At this point $27 isn't all that important. I already spent over 400 so... :/ as long as it gets there I will spend the extra money.

Hey guys, for the 'Questions' when entering past GRE scores, I cannot find my previous test registration numbers on the ETS website, and they were taken back in 2014. Can anyone help?
(Calling ETS when they open tomorrow)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, for the 'Questions' when entering past GRE scores, I cannot find my previous test registration numbers on the ETS website, and they were taken back in 2014. Can anyone help?
(Calling ETS when they open tomorrow)

Having trouble as well. If you find out please let me know!

Hello 2021 applicants!
I'm a member of the 2020 class. Just wanted to share a couple thoughts with you guys on the eve of your VMCAS deadline!
I couldn't tell you exactly how parts of the application are weighted (there is some info about that on the admissions webpage) but I would advise you guys to keep a bigger picture in mind of what Illinois is looking for when they accept you. To those of you who might be worried about your grades but consider yourself a well-rounded person, you're in luck! Illinois definitely values a variety of experience, even outside of vet med! (I had a below avg GPA and a good variety of experience but I didn't have an insane number of hours) Remember that they are going to be looking for people who can communicate well (don't go into vet medicine if you don't like people), work well on teams, and be able to function in high stress times! Once you're in vet school, you become part of a community, and you will depend on your classmates to support you and even teach you! So the point of all this is to be yourself throughout the application, and if you have these qualities, make sure they are coming across in your essay and interview. If you don't get in, don't be discouraged! No matter what, an extra year between undergrad and vet school can be super valuable for personal growth (and saving up). So hopefully that is helpful to some of you. Good luck guys! Everything will be great!

Reactions: 6 users
Hello 2021 applicants!
I'm a member of the 2020 class. Just wanted to share a couple thoughts with you guys on the eve of your VMCAS deadline!
I couldn't tell you exactly how parts of the application are weighted (there is some info about that on the admissions webpage) but I would advise you guys to keep a bigger picture in mind of what Illinois is looking for when they accept you. To those of you who might be worried about your grades but consider yourself a well-rounded person, you're in luck! Illinois definitely values a variety of experience, even outside of vet med! (I had a below avg GPA and a good variety of experience but I didn't have an insane number of hours) Remember that they are going to be looking for people who can communicate well (don't go into vet medicine if you don't like people), work well on teams, and be able to function in high stress times! Once you're in vet school, you become part of a community, and you will depend on your classmates to support you and even teach you! So the point of all this is to be yourself throughout the application, and if you have these qualities, make sure they are coming across in your essay and interview. If you don't get in, don't be discouraged! No matter what, an extra year between undergrad and vet school can be super valuable for personal growth (and saving up). So hopefully that is helpful to some of you. Good luck guys! Everything will be great!

Thanks for the encouragement! As a first time applicant, I can not be more thankful at the extra YEARS I have between schools. I have gained a lot of valuable experience both veterinary related and not related that has been huge in my decision to finally apply. Regardless of whether I get accepted or not, I think having that time has been nothing but beneficial for me. So kudos to you for bringing that up as I feel some people seem to think they can't take some time off for that personal growth.

Thanks for the encouragement! As a first time applicant, I can not be more thankful at the extra YEARS I have between schools. I have gained a lot of valuable experience both veterinary related and not related that has been huge in my decision to finally apply. Regardless of whether I get accepted or not, I think having that time has been nothing but beneficial for me. So kudos to you for bringing that up as I feel some people seem to think they can't take some time off for that personal growth.
Oh no, plenty of people in my class had years between undergrad and vet school. I myself had 3 before I was accepted. It really helped me understand better how to accept rejection as I went to a college prep high school and was accepted with scholarships to my undergrad. I've been around Type A people for a long, long time lol. I'm glad you've had that between time too and never feel alone about it if you get in this year. There will be plenty of people in the same boat. Good luck!

Hello all! :)

My name is Ashley and I'm an Illinois native applying to U of I this year! Can't wait to meet each of you; and best of luck to everyone! :luck:

How long were your actual essays not including the works cited portion?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long were your actual essays not including the works cited portion?

I didn't count just the essay separately, but including the works cited, it was pretty close to the limit.

Did your formatting show up okay (when you look at the PDF of your application)? I copied from a plain text file to avoid any problems, but it cut out my lines between paragraphs. Not sure what I did wrong.

I didn't count just the essay separately, but including the works cited, it was pretty close to the limit.

Did your formatting show up okay (when you look at the PDF of your application)? I copied from a plain text file to avoid any problems, but it cut out my lines between paragraphs. Not sure what I did wrong.

It did the same with mine!

Mine did the same thing!! I didn't realize you could check it on the PDF until after I submitted it of course.. Even in my experience descriptions I have formatting differences that I could not see.. I hope it's not a huge deal.. Boo.

Mine did the same thing!! I didn't realize you could check it on the PDF until after I submitted it of course.. Even in my experience descriptions I have formatting differences that I could not see.. I hope it's not a huge deal.. Boo.

Phew! I'm assuming that means it was the system's problem and not our fault. I double-checked my plain text file and I definitely had proper paragraph breaks. Someone from VMCAS said that the PDF is not the exact form schools receive our information, so U of I might be able to fix the issue. Otherwise, they're going to have fun reading my giant block of text!

Phew! I'm assuming that means it was the system's problem and not our fault. I double-checked my plain text file and I definitely had proper paragraph breaks. Someone from VMCAS said that the PDF is not the exact form schools receive our information, so U of I might be able to fix the issue. Otherwise, they're going to have fun reading my giant block of text!

So I was just told that it only shows up like this on the vmcas pdf, and that they way you enter the essay they will see it that way.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone get an email from them stating that your application was complete? Turned mine in a month and a half ago and haven't heard anything from them...

Did anyone get an email from them stating that your application was complete? Turned mine in a month and a half ago and haven't heard anything from them...

Noooooooope. Also I was worried that my GRE scores never made it (cause ETS did something wonky and send multiples to wrong schools) so I emailed admissions and they never replied..

I haven't received any sort of email/notification either... not sure if we were supposed to?....

I never got any sort of notification for UIUC and i turned in my app in late july :(

It's really frustrating that they don't let you know they received everything since there GRE scores don't show up on VMCAS :( I guess I'll just assume that no news is good news.

I just searched last year's thread, and it looks like a portal was supposed to go up sometime in October or November but there ended up being no portal at all. Applicants were notified via email if they made it past the GPA/GRE state of evaluation in December and were invited to interviews in January. The previous year, it looks like no one got notifications about making it past the first stage (only people rejected were notified).

So hang tight! U of I (along with every other public school in the state) is dealing with a massive budget problem and current students/past applicants say the school's a bit disorganized. No news is good news for now.

ASA is extremely short staffed at the moment. We've had multiple retire or moved out of the city since last spring to a month ago and they have desperately been trying to find people to replace them. Therefore, there's like 2-3 people doing all the work for scheduling and applications for the entire college. Give them some time and if you have any questions about things reaching them, please call them. They're way more likely to answer if you call rather than email.

Hi! Just wanted to chime in. I know I'm a bit late to the game. I was accepted OOS for the class of 2020 and going into it all I did not feel like I had an impressive amount of hours (700 vet (entirely small animal), 250 animal) but I had a good GPA (3.7) and GRE scores (163,163) and took a bit of my personal statement to explain why I didn't have that many hours.
Just wanted to let you/ everyone else know that it is still very much worth it! :)

I only did in-text citations and did NOT have a works cited at the end of my essay and they seemed to be fine with that (or at least I assume they were because they admitted me, hehe). For example I used stuff like "The American Association of Swine Veterinarians cites that..." or "According to the USDA...".

THANK YOU so much for this. I was reading about people adding a whole works cited and was freaking out because i only did the same as you (eg "According to X association...."). Thanks for putting my worries to rest!

Reactions: 1 users
How frustrating! I wish I would get an email confirmation saying that all my materials were in... I was particularly worried about my GRE scores because I had some difficulty getting them in. I called and admissions said that I should be fine so long as I sent them to 1836/ 0617. I really love the school T_T ... I wish I knew already.

How frustrating! I wish I would get an email confirmation saying that all my materials were in... I was particularly worried about my GRE scores because I had some difficulty getting them in. I called and admissions said that I should be fine so long as I sent them to 1836/ 0617. I really love the school T_T ... I wish I knew already.
I honestly don't remember if I ever got an email about stuff reaching them. I feel like I didn't and I had to keep an eye out for any problems through VMCAs since they do tell you if things reach the schools or not.

If you guys read the admissions website for the school, you would have found that the school does plan to use email as the main form of communication when they need to inform you of your status. So I would just be patient, it will come eventually. It will likely only go out once they are done looking over/organizing all of the apps they received.

You guys have to remember that you're 1/1000, and like clover said, our ASA office is operating with a fraction of the staff it has has for the last several years. Everyone is retiring. I get the frustration, but patience goes a long way. If they've told you to sit tight, take their word for it!

If you guys read the admissions website for the school, you would have found that the school does plan to use email as the main form of communication when they need to inform you of your status. So I would just be patient, it will come eventually. It will likely only go out once they are done looking over/organizing all of the apps they received.

You guys have to remember that you're 1/1000, and like clover said, our ASA office is operating with a fraction of the staff it has has for the last several years. Everyone is retiring. I get the frustration, but patience goes a long way. If they've told you to sit tight, take their word for it!
Oh they're doing that now? I guess that makes sense since they're not using the portal anymore. So yes, definitely be patients guys. It'll be ok.

Oh they're doing that now? I guess that makes sense since they're not using the portal anymore. So yes, definitely be patients guys. It'll be ok.
Yeah, I found it on the FAQ page. The portal seemed to have caused them more problems than not haha.

Hi everyone! I got my BFA from UIUC in 2001 (theatre) - so obviously non-traditional, 38 year old applicant. Have been away from school for a LONG time, went back in 2014 to take my prerequisites at Penn State where my husband and I currently live. I think it would be AMAZING if I got accepted here and got to do vet school where I went for my undergrad in a COMPLETELY unrelated field, lol. I'm currently a vet assistant/lab tech/receptionist at an animal hospital and worked for a year at the Austin Humane Society running the adoption program. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.

Reactions: 2 users
Can out of state students gain residency after a year? I saw on AAVMC's cost comparison tool that Illinois is listed as a state where you can gain residency but then I saw elsewhere people saying that's not true. Does anyone know for sure?

Can out of state students gain residency after a year? I saw on AAVMC's cost comparison tool that Illinois is listed as a state where you can gain residency but then I saw elsewhere people saying that's not true. Does anyone know for sure?
Not true, unfortunately. The only exception I know of is if you marry an Illinois resident.

That's frustrating. AAVMC's cost comparison tool should reflect that.
Do you mind showing me what you're looking at? I couldn't find anything that says they allow residency changes. FWIW, though, when I had the VMSAR book for the year I was applying, I found multiple errors throughout. Always best to confirm directly with the school when in doubt.

Edit: Nevermind, I see what you're looking at now....you can always contact AAVMC regarding the error.

Hey guys! I am a first time applicant. I left IL to come to FL for undergrad. Graduated in 3 years and kept my IL residency so that I had a fighting chance for UoI. I have a bio major and chem minor. I know it might be a little while, but I can't wait to see some interview invites being sent out!

Hey guys! I am a first time applicant. I left IL to come to FL for undergrad. Graduated in 3 years and kept my IL residency so that I had a fighting chance for UoI. I have a bio major and chem minor. I know it might be a little while, but I can't wait to see some interview invites being sent out!

Where did you go for undergrad, if you don't mind me asking? I'm from Florida originally and went to UCF for college and grad school.

FYI, I applied last year and the first I heard from the school was 12/18 to let me know I had advanced to phase 2 of the application process. Interview invitations went out the 2nd half of January.

I just noticed on the webpage describing the interview day, they finally updated it for this cycle. The interview day is listed as February 13th. Does anyone know if they do interviews on any other days if someone has a conflict? For example, if I am granted an interview, I won't be able to make it because of an interview the day before in NYC. Do they ever let someone reschedule for circumstances such as that or do they figure they can just replace you with another applicant?

Also, how do they get through everyone in one day? Seems very ambitious.

I just noticed on the webpage describing the interview day, they finally updated it for this cycle. The interview day is listed as February 13th. Does anyone know if they do interviews on any other days if someone has a conflict? For example, if I am granted an interview, I won't be able to make it because of an interview the day before in NYC. Do they ever let someone reschedule for circumstances such as that or do they figure they can just replace you with another applicant?

Also, how do they get through everyone in one day? Seems very ambitious.
I know they've granted alternate days to those affected by winter weather in the past (especially if it grounds a lot of flights), but I'm not sure they'll allow someone to reschedule due to another interview. Tbh, Illinois has had their interviews during the 2nd-ish week of February for as long as I can remember, but you won't know until you ask. You may want to talk to the other school with the interview and see if they'll reschedule in case Illinois says no. Just be cautious with your wording, as asking a school to make a special exception for you in this situation can be a little tricky. Our associate dean is a no nonsense kind of guy, and chances are that your rescheduled interview could be with him.

Also, there are several interview rooms. Like, 10+ (which is probably an underestimate). Interviews don't last more than 30 minutes usually, and they interview from 8-5.

I know they've granted alternate days to those affected by winter weather in the past (especially if it grounds a lot of flights), but I'm not sure they'll allow someone to reschedule due to another interview. Tbh, Illinois has had their interviews during the 2nd-ish week of February for as long as I can remember, but you won't know until you ask. You may want to talk to the other school with the interview and see if they'll reschedule in case Illinois says no. Just be cautious with your wording, as asking a school to make a special exception for you in this situation can be a little tricky. Our associate dean is a no nonsense kind of guy, and chances are that your rescheduled interview could be with him.

Also, there are several interview rooms. Like, 10+ (which is probably an underestimate). Interviews don't last more than 30 minutes usually, and they interview from 8-5.
Thanks for your reply! It's a bummer they didn't publish the interview date before application due dates so people could plan better. Oh well - such is life! I'm thinking I won't say anything unless I actually get an interview with Illinois and deal with it then. Perhaps this is just narrowing of the field for me.

Hey guys...I was just curious to see what you all wrote about for your essay for Illinois. Not your personal statement, but your essay you wrote for Illinois' essay question (zika virus and GMO's).

Thanks for your reply! It's a bummer they didn't publish the interview date before application due dates so people could plan better. Oh well - such is life! I'm thinking I won't say anything unless I actually get an interview with Illinois and deal with it then. Perhaps this is just narrowing of the field for me.
Good luck, I hope everything works out!

Hey guys...I was just curious to see what you all wrote about for your essay for Illinois. Not your personal statement, but your essay you wrote for Illinois' essay question (zika virus and GMO's).

Being an entomology nerd....I wrote about the historical use of insects as a means of combating parasitic/detrimental insects and likened it to the proposed use of GM mosquitos. I didn't go as deep into the GMO issue as I wanted to, but I basically spoke about the advantages of GMO's (like bt sweetcorn). Conversely, I touched on the potential concerns among the general public and possible unintended consequences of introducing GM insects.

Being an entomology nerd....I wrote about the historical use of insects as a means of combating parasitic/detrimental insects and likened it to the proposed use of GM mosquitos. I didn't go as deep into the GMO issue as I wanted to, but I basically spoke about the advantages of GMO's (like bt sweetcorn). Conversely, I touched on the potential concerns among the general public and possible unintended consequences of introducing GM insects.

Ok, thanks. I was just curious to see what others chose to write about. I wonder if anyone wrote about what I did!

does anyone know when they start sending the invites?

usually first week of January. They sent out a round of rejections mid december last year