University of Illinois c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was that just for OOS or IS as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
dont' remember, I know it definitely was OOS not sure about IS

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!
Just got an email from from Illinois saying that I've advanced to phase II of the admissions process and that theyre sending out interview invites in mid-January for an interview date of February 13th.
Nice to get an update at least! I hadn't heard anything from them in awhile.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten an email yet. :/ I'm hoping they send them out in waves or something. I was really hoping to get something from them this year.

Reactions: 1 users
My inbox is still empty, are they also going to send the rejection letter today?

Got the same. Wonder if that means we just meet the minimum academic requirement, or if they look at all applications holistically and decide whether or not they advance?

Reactions: 1 user
Phase 2 for me too!

I visited the campus in September and loved it! It may be out in the boonies but that's almost more appealing to me as a prospective vet student hah

I have refreshed my email like 50 times, still nothing

Members don't see this ad :)
I have refreshed my email like 50 times, still nothing

Same here. :/ I'm just going to assume the worst and think that I didn't move on to phase II which really sucks cuz I feel that stuff (letters, experiences) are the best part of my app.

Phase 2! The email says it was sent out at 10:19 this morning. This is literally the first email I've received from Illinois - despite the multiple emails I've sent them for confirmation on things, glad they didn't lose my file or something

Same here. :/ I'm just going to assume the worst and think that I didn't move on to phase II which really sucks cuz I feel that stuff (letters, experiences) are the best part of my app.

In the past, they've let people know that they didn't move on. They won't just silently reject, so no need to drive yourself crazy! A lot of schools don't send emails to everyone all at once.

For anyone wondering, the email also said that fall transcripts should be sent now (except if you're doing it electronically, in which case you should wait until they're back from break) and that interviews will be February 13.

Phase 2! The email says it was sent out at 10:19 this morning. This is literally the first email I've received from Illinois - despite the multiple emails I've sent them for confirmation on things, glad they didn't lose my file or something

I'm guessing you're talking about eastern time? I got mine at 9:19 central.

Does anyone know admissions statistics for IS? They have average GPAs on their website, but I'm curious about how many IS apply (the website says 150 IS will be interviewed for 70 seats, and 200-250 OOS will be interviewed for 60 seats).

Does anyone know admissions statistics for IS? They have average GPAs on their website, but I'm curious about how many IS apply (the website says 150 IS will be interviewed for 70 seats, and 200-250 OOS will be interviewed for 60 seats).

Aha valid, it was Eastern time.

Idk about GPAs besides what they posted. It looks like once you've passed Phase 1 they don't look at it again. It's not even incorporated in the final decision! I am interested in knowing experience statistics though.

Yeah, that's true. It's 75% non-cognitive factors and 25% interview for the final score. They have GPAs on the site, I just want to know how many IS apply. (I.e., what's the chance I'll be accepted!)

Oh I see. That would be nice to know for both IS and OOS!

I've realized knowing those statistics has caused me much more stress than positivity. I have a 70% chance of getting into my IS which has been encouraging but if I don't get in, I'm going to feel like major poop haha
Ha I know what you mean. What's your IS?

Just got an email about advancing to Phase II of the admissions process. They said they will send out invites about a month from the interview (Feb 13th) so that should mean we will hear in a few weeks!

So last year Dean Foreman spoke to UIUC's Pre Vet Club, and he said about 200-250 people apply who are IS, then 150 interviewed and 70 taken. Granted the numbers probably change a bit year to year, but thats what he said last year was the avg number of IS applicants. So that puts you at around a 30% chance just based on those numbers.
Hope this helps!

Welp. No email. Such a bummer, UIUC was my last school and my IS. Le sigh.

I wonder what the acceptance rate is for people in Phase 2 vs. the overall applicant pool.

Don't give up hope just yet everyone. I think they'll be sending out more emails next week. 300ish emails is a lot to do all in one day. They usually send them out in bundles and rejections tend to be at the end.

This week was also finals week, so there was a lot going on.

Can anyone confirm how much bearing your fall grades have in your interview decision since they asked us to send those in the phase 2 email? I fell a few points short of an A in physics and my professor won't round it for me..
I know phase 1 is academics and after that it's supposed to be based on non-academic factors and your interview score, but I feel like if a person's gpa dropped after passing the academic portion they might still consider that?

Can anyone confirm how much bearing your fall grades have in your interview decision since they asked us to send those in the phase 2 email? I fell a few points short of an A in physics and my professor won't round it for me..
I know phase 1 is academics and after that it's supposed to be based on non-academic factors and your interview score, but I feel like if a person's gpa dropped after passing the academic portion they might still consider that?

I highly doubt that. The committee that scores the applications in phase II will have never even seen your file, so that would be a great deal of trouble on the universities end of it to pull someone out of that pool for not getting an A in a course. As long as you're satisfying any remaining pre-reqs I would think it's safe to assume you're okay. I made it to phase II with a B/C in physics 1 and 2 respectively lol, so I doubt not getting that A would lead them to pull your app.

Really hoping they will be sending out more emails tomorrow telling people they made it to Phase II. Trying to remain hopeful!

I highly doubt that. The committee that scores the applications in phase II will have never even seen your file, so that would be a great deal of trouble on the universities end of it to pull someone out of that pool for not getting an A in a course. As long as you're satisfying any remaining pre-reqs I would think it's safe to assume you're okay. I made it to phase II with a B/C in physics 1 and 2 respectively lol, so I doubt not getting that A would lead them to pull your app.

Thank you! I figured it was just to make sure we were making progress like it said in the email, but I'm glad it didn't affect your app- physics is not my strong suit :)
Good luck with phase II!

Thank you! I figured it was just to make sure we were making progress like it said in the email, but I'm glad it didn't affect your app- physics is not my strong suit :)
Good luck with phase II!

It could be that they want to make sure that you haven't failed a prerequisite or had a massive drop in the semester. The difference between an A and B right now probably isn't a make or break scenario.

Hope you guys get some info soon!

Thinking of calling them tomorrow to see if they will be sending out anymore phase II emails... I have to order my transcripts by Wednesday. I would just go ahead and order one for there, but my school charges $10 a transcript :( and I already am having to send 5 others.

Thinking of calling them tomorrow to see if they will be sending out anymore phase II emails... I have to order my transcripts by Wednesday. I would just go ahead and order one for there, but my school charges $10 a transcript :( and I already am having to send 5 others.

I hear you. I have to order mine as well and I don't want to order one for a school that is not even going consider me. /sigh

Just called Illinois, they told me to not expect any kind of email until the first week of January. That if we haven't heard from them yet, then they haven't needed our transcripts for anything ... so now I'm guessing I definitely didn't make it to phase II. I would assume they would let everyone in phaseII know this week so there's time to send in transcripts by the deadline.

Just called Illinois, they told me to not expect any kind of email until the first week of January. That if we haven't heard from them yet, then they haven't needed our transcripts for anything ... so now I'm guessing I definitely didn't make it to phase II. I would assume they would let everyone in phaseII know this week so there's time to send in transcripts by the deadline.

Soooo to send transcripts or not to send transcripts hmmm

When are fall transcripts due?

When are fall transcripts due?

"Mid-January" but I'm sure they'll work with you if you sent a transcript late because they told you too late to send it in time.

Don't forget that most applicants do not use SDN, so the adcom will not rely on you getting information from SDN. In other words, until they tell you to send your transcripts, you do not need to send your transcripts and they do not expect you to know that other people were told to send them.

You might also want to check previous years' threads to see if anyone who didn't get the phase II email initially ended up getting an interview- I'm not sure if they do waves or if no email = reject.

This is the text of the email, if you're curious:

You have advanced to Phase II of our admissions process. Your application is currently being reviewed and scored by our Admissions Advisory Committee. We hope to have another set of e-mails sent out by mid-January to notify those who will be offered interviews on February 13, 2017, to give you approximately a month to make travel plans before Interview Day.

Official fall transcripts may be sent to our office now. The mailing address for updated transcripts with fall grades is: University of Illinois, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Room 2271G, Urbana, Illinois, 61802 or [email protected] if you plan to send them electronically. Please wait until January 3, 2017 to send electronic transcripts so the link does not expire while our office is closed for the holidays. If we do not receive updated transcripts by mid-January we reserve the right to rescind interview offers or delete a candidate from the pool for failing to verify adequate academic progress in achieving all prerequisite requirements.

We do not need your transcript again if there have been no changes or updates since submitting it to VMCAS.

We wish each of you good luck and a great holiday break from your studies.​

"Mid-January" but I'm sure they'll work with you if you sent a transcript late because they told you too late to send it in time.

Don't forget that most applicants do not use SDN, so the adcom will not rely on you getting information from SDN. In other words, until they tell you to send your transcripts, you do not need to send your transcripts and they do not expect you to know that other people were told to send them.

You might also want to check previous years' threads to see if anyone who didn't get the phase II email initially ended up getting an interview- I'm not sure if they do waves or if no email = reject.

You have advanced to Phase II of our admissions process. Your application is currently being reviewed and scored by our Admissions Advisory Committee. We hope to have another set of e-mails sent out by mid-January to notify those who will be offered interviews on February 13, 2017, to give you approximately a month to make travel plans before Interview Day.

Official fall transcripts may be sent to our office now. The mailing address for updated transcripts with fall grades is: University of Illinois, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Room 2271G, Urbana, Illinois, 61802 or [email protected] if you plan to send them electronically. Please wait until January 3, 2017 to send electronic transcripts so the link does not expire while our office is closed for the holidays. If we do not receive updated transcripts by mid-January we reserve the right to rescind interview offers or delete a candidate from the pool for failing to verify adequate academic progress in achieving all prerequisite requirements.

We do not need your transcript again if there have been no changes or updates since submitting it to VMCAS.

I'm pretty sure they've done paper letters for all rejections historically (I got one when I didn't pass into phase II, no email whatsoever). When they had the portal, they didn't always update it, either. They may or may not follow the paper letter method this year due to the staffing issues in the office. I believe another person just retired.

I'm pretty sure they've done paper letters for all rejections historically (I got one when I didn't pass into phase II, no email whatsoever). When they had the portal, they didn't always update it, either. They may or may not follow the paper letter method this year due to the staffing issues in the office. I believe another person just retired.
They did about a week ago. She was in charge of our 4th year rotation schedule. Some day my class might get that together so we can figure out what we're doing.

They did about a week ago. She was in charge of our 4th year rotation schedule. Some day my class might get that together so we can figure out what we're doing.

You guys don't have your rotation schedule yet?

Thanks for this

So if we haven't heard anything from them yet, what does that mean? Maybe they assume everyone will send their transcripts in anyway.

The 4th years have yet to hear a single thing about professional development. Never mind the fact that people would want to schedule something off campus.

Patiently waiting for interview invites as I'm sure most of you are :) Since I'm still in it I thought I'd introduce myself a little more! My name is Ashley, im 24 and I'm a native of Illinois. I'm from northern Illinois (Peru, IL) and got my undergrad at Southern Illinois University, so any general Illinois questions I'm your gal! This is my second time applying for to vet school! I never wanted to go to U of I because I find the state boring but growing up some changed my mind :cat: After being declined my first application cycle I took 2 years off to travel and get experience, I'm so thankful for that!

Enough with the gibberish; I just wanted to let you all know that of you don't get accepted (U of I or anywhere) just know that's 100% okay! You're not worthless or unintelligent in the slightest. Fate is a fickle friend; and as cliche as it may be your time will come, just hang in there! Know that I, and many others on SDN, are here for you! Good luck everyone and know you're awesome no matter what! :love::luck:

You guys don't have your rotation schedule yet?
The 4th years have yet to hear a single thing about professional development. Never mind the fact that people would want to schedule something off campus.
They have no schedule yet, and the Dean and Associate Dean are telling everyone conflicting info regarding the changing tracks, new 4th year rotations, what that means for rotation scheduling etc. I feel bad for the third years, because many of them are worried about having to scramble when it comes to rescheduling assigned rotations since they've already got externships booked.

My class is currently waiting on our rotation schedules for this upcoming quarter, which I think is going to take precedence over the 3rd years due to timing.
So if we haven't heard anything from them yet, what does that mean? Maybe they assume everyone will send their transcripts in anyway.
I don't know what to tell you about transcripts, but none of you guys should start jumping to conclusions about what not getting an email means :) Just hang tight. These past two years have been very different from what Illinois has done historically, so it's tough to give you an idea of where you stand now.

They have no schedule yet, and the Dean and Associate Dean are telling everyone conflicting info regarding the changing tracks, new 4th year rotations, what that means for rotation scheduling etc. I feel bad for the third years, because many of them are worried about having to scramble when it comes to rescheduling assigned rotations since they've already got externships booked.

My class is currently waiting on our rotation schedules for this upcoming quarter, which I think is going to take precedence over the 3rd years due to timing.

I don't know what to tell you about transcripts, but none of you guys should start jumping to conclusions about what not getting an email means :) Just hang tight. These past two years have been very different from what Illinois has done historically, so it's tough to give you an idea of where you stand now.

I know they just had a meeting on the fourth year tracks last week. One of our clinicians was gone from the ER and the fourth years were debating on how the school was going to change things. As soon as she walked through the door, they asked how it went. Of course she didn't answer.

That's crazy you guys don't have your schedule. And they closed today through the third I think, so you guys won't have anything until the fourth at the earliest.

I know they just had a meeting on the fourth year tracks last week. One of our clinicians was gone from the ER and the fourth years were debating on how the school was going to change things. As soon as she walked through the door, they asked how it went. Of course she didn't answer.

That's crazy you guys don't have your schedule. And they closed today through the third I think, so you guys won't have anything until the fourth at the earliest.
I just don't think anyone can agree on anything. One person thinks a farrier is the most important thing since he wants our equine program to improve, another wants to better support wildlife/zoo med since it's probably the biggest program we have here now.

Frankly, I think the best thing they could do is offer a third track for the wildlife/zoo/exotics students. We're stuck using the large animal track solely because it has more off blocks for externships, and that makes the clinicians and admins mad because we're not 'interested' in large animal.

Ahh that sounds so stressful @pinkpuppy9 @batsenecal . Hoping it gets resolved soon!

A question about clinics though. I know they're typically 1 week rotations, is that true for 4th year too? Do/can they ever get lengthened?