University of Illinois-CVM - Application C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted IS at U of I. Wait listed OOS at CSU and UW.

CSU has been my dream since I realized I wanted to go to vet school. Feeling much more torn about it after letting the crushing weight of an additional $100,000 in debt sink in. Now I wish I'd moved to Colorado last year.

That said, the way U of I structures their curriculum feels implicitly attractive to me. I don't think I'll be disappointed at all if I'm not even given the option of choosing between them and CSU after all.

Edit: Going with the obvious choice. U of I it is.
Yet another Coloradan dropping by to suggest to go to U of I even if pulled off the waitlist, listen to bats. I got accepted IS to CSU. I'm going OSS to Washington. Saving 60K plus interest by the time it's all said and done.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yet another Coloradan dropping by to suggest to go to U of I even if pulled off the waitlist, listen to bats. I got accepted IS to CSU. I'm going OSS to Washington. Saving 60K plus interest by the time it's all said and done.

Sidebar: Its totally outrageous that CSU is so expensive even IS. I'd probably drop dead if I saw what some people pay CSU OOS...
To each their own I guess!

Congrats to everyone who received acceptances, and good luck to those waiting on alternate seats. I loved the school and the curriculum structure at my interview, I was really pleasantly surprised. I received an OOS acceptance and currently this is looking like my top choice school... but I wondered if any current students knew how changing to IS tuition works? I know it's not cut and dry but I am getting married next year and my husband will then be moving to my location with me. Any knowledge would be greatly welcomed.
Illinois is VERY difficult to get IS tuition. Not a current student but I've lived here my whole life. You may not have it granted until your spouse has worked in Illinois for a year (the marriage status definitely helps most students don't ever get IS status). In short the sooner he can move to Illinois and start working the better your chances. Some even have their marriages in their desired state (legally they don't care where your ceremony is) to better their chances of IS. If current students want to chime in please do! @batsenecal, @pinkpuppy9 But my top recommendation would be calling and/or emailing the residency office. Good luck and congrats on acceptance :)
The only people I know who had done it came as OOS students, then had both their own and their SO's residency changed to IL, then they married their SO (or came married). I believe SO has to have a job in the state. With that being said, the people who have tried have been successful, so I don't know that it's all that hard. I think it's the only way to change your tuition status.

University Academic Programs and Services I'd call the registrar since the vet school isn't involved in residency changes! this link has some q+a too.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sidebar: Its totally outrageous that CSU is so expensive even IS. I'd probably drop dead if I saw what some people pay CSU OOS...

I actually don't understand the near obsession with CSU in vet med. They had 14 applicants per seat for the class of 2022, by far the most of any school (with 5 applicants per IS seat). Maybe it's cause I grew up in colorado, so I don't see the "specialness" of it. But I honestly wanted an acceptance there purely for the money aspect.

Reactions: 1 user
You're telling me plus when I went to their mixer they were like yes we are expensive and we acknowledge that yet in the same talk they don't seem imo to be trying to do very much about it. They're like yeah we're trying to get more scholarship money but that was it (a great solution if everyone gets =scholarship but we all know that's pry not the case) . No -we are talking to legislature, no mention of the state just starting a repayment plan etc.

The only people I know who had done it came as OOS students, then had both their own and their SO's residency changed to IL, then they married their SO (or came married). I believe SO has to have a job in the state. With that being said, the people who have tried have been successful, so I don't know that it's all that hard. I think it's the only way to change your tuition status.

University Academic Programs and Services I'd call the registrar since the vet school isn't involved in residency changes! this link has some q+a too.
Thanks so much for the info! Having a specific office to contact with my questions will help save me time moving forward.

ASA will let you know! ISCAVMA sets up the "public" page and then peeps in your class set up a "private" page

Edit: Ninja'd by PP

Yay!! Another Coloradoan!! There's only two that I know of in my class (including myself) and 1.5 in 2020; granted, I also claim Nebraska more than Colorado at this point. You get accepted to CSU?
No I didn't, but I'm okay with that lol.

Has anyone started looking for apartments or have recommendations for housing?

Has anyone started looking for apartments or have recommendations for housing?

A lot of people live at the Village or the Place. I lived at the Place last year and did not love it. I found my current place on Zillow.

A lot of people live at the Village or the Place. I lived at the Place last year and did not love it. I found my current place on Zillow.

Where are you currently staying?? Im starting to look for apartments myself and don't want to live somewhere that other people aren't super happy about. Also looking to get a dog down the road so I want a place that is medium dog size friendly

Where are you currently staying?? Im starting to look for apartments myself and don't want to live somewhere that other people aren't super happy about. Also looking to get a dog down the road so I want a place that is medium dog size friendly

I'm currently living in a house in Tolono (which is about 5 miles south of campus). I would say a majority of people actually live in houses within about 2-3 miles of the vet school with 2 or 3 roommates. I would honestly recommend a house over the more cramped apartment complexes if you can swing it. I do not recommend main campus as it seems to be 2 to 3 times more expensive than living off campus.

I'm by myself in Fairlawn Village in Urbana. I have 5 animals in a two bedroom and I'm pretty comfortable. The yards aren't fenced, but they're really pet friendly. 5 minute drive to school and near downtown urbana.

Downside is that it's a little pricey.

Is it going to be a hard sell that I have a 14lb dog and 2 cats to bring with me? I imagine plenty of places are pet-friendly, but I'm concerned more so about the ease of finding a roommate who ideally doesn't have any pets of their own and doesn't mind mine. My pets have all lived with other animals, and 2/3 of them are very easygoing. But one of them is generally terrified of other animals and hides about 95% of the time. It would be nice to get to hang out with him more. I digress...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask why you didn't like the Place? (that's one of the complexes I was considering...)

Can I ask why you didn't like the Place? (that's one of the complexes I was considering...)
I lived there first year and for me, it was loud. There were some grad students there, but I think the majority of the population is undergrads. It wasn't the cleanest, the main office wasn't great about dealing with issues, etc. Typical crappy college apartment complex. It's convenient since it's furnished, on the cheaper side if you have roommates, etc. Also pretty close to school, but it's also kitty corner from a field where they dump pig manure.

The Village is a similar deal to The Place, but their apartments are by far better from what I've seen at friends' places (I never lived there myself). I hear their main office sucks too, but I think that's standard for these college complexes owned by national companies. I think the floor plans are more spacious, especially the townhouses. I wanted to live there first year actually, but they do not allow rabbits so it wasn't gonna work.
Is it going to be a hard sell that I have a 14lb dog and 2 cats to bring with me? I imagine plenty of places are pet-friendly, but I'm concerned more so about the ease of finding a roommate who ideally doesn't have any pets of their own and doesn't mind mine. My pets have all lived with other animals, and 2/3 of them are very easygoing. But one of them is generally terrified of other animals and hides about 95% of the time. It would be nice to get to hang out with him more. I digress...
Most apartments (in general, not even just here) have a two pet limit. Your dog is small so you may be able to sweet talk some rental companies, but probably not The Place or The Village.

Once a FB page/group gets set up, you can try looking for someone with no other pets/just caged pets and go from there. In my experience, most vet students at least want the option to get a pet of their own at some point so it may be harder for you. You always have the option of not even mentioning you have a third cat, since one hides. I did that for two years with my hiding cat and never had a problem, but there is always the risk of getting caught.

Not that I advocate sneaking around with pets, but a good number of vet students have to since so few places around here are pet friend with no limit. My current place allowed my two cats and doesn't care about my turtle or rabbit (who ironically just destroyed my carpet, yay), but now I'm sneaking my dog :rofl:If you clean up after your animals, your dog doesn't bark nonstop, etc, no one is going to tip off your landlord regarding the pet situation.

I live at the Village currently and can say that I really haven't had too much to complain about. It's been really great. Main office people know me by first name (but I'm also rather... distinctive), 3 of the 4 apartments in my "square" are all completely vet students. Only complaint I really have is that our upstairs neighbors are probably undergrad boys and were super loud at the beginning of the year. We called the office on them a few times and they seem to be better for the most part.

You'll also hear people complaining about the train that goes behind the apartments, but I'm a super light sleeper and have never had an issue with it. I got used to it super fast. There ARE pet fees, and you can only (per the lease, at least) have dogs, cats, and caged birds. We currently have two dogs in our three-bed apartment and it's working out just fine. But I know plenty of people that have kind of "smuggled" in extra animals without an issue. Not suggesting it, because there is a $500 fee if you get caught with an unlisted animal, BUT it's definitely been done.

I will also be looking for at least one (maybe two) roommates for the fall, so feel free to message me if you're interested in learning more about The Village! I'm also more than willing to meet with people and show them around in person if they're ever down here looking at housing. :)

Reactions: 3 users

Loud. I was in one of the buildings by the pool and called the cops at least once a month to break up parties at two or three in the morning. It wasn't the nicest place as a general rule. My first goal was the Village, but waited too long.

Does anyone know of any nice and affordable studio apartments? I have a dog and I just think it will be easier for me to have my own place.

Does anyone know of any nice and affordable studio apartments? I have a dog and I just think it will be easier for me to have my own place.
Most of the unfurnished studios/1 beds around here are well under $1000/month so I think you'll just need to do some Googling. I current pay just under $800 for a two bedroom at Fairlawn Village (before they tack on internet and pet fees).

Most of the unfurnished studios/1 beds around here are well under $1000/month so I think you'll just need to do some Googling. I current pay just under $800 for a two bedroom at Fairlawn Village (before they tack on internet and pet fees).

Wow that's not bad for a two bedroom. I did see a few studios for around $650 but they were not available....so I guess I will keep googling.

Wow that's not bad for a two bedroom. I did see a few studios for around $650 but they were not available....so I guess I will keep googling.
COL is pretty cheap here imo! You may also find some small houses for $1000 or less too, but you'd probably end up in a not so nice neighborhood or really far from campus. I recommend people looking in Urbana don't go past Philo or don't go directly north of campus in Champaign. West Champaign is fine.

Fairlawn Village (where I am) is right on the border of where Urbana gets a little iffy, and I haven't had any problems yet. Overall Chambana is a safe place, just certain areas experience car break ins a lot. A classmate's apartment also got broken into over winter break but I didn't catch where he lived.

I'm by myself in Fairlawn Village in Urbana. I have 5 animals in a two bedroom and I'm pretty comfortable. The yards aren't fenced, but they're really pet friendly. 5 minute drive to school and near downtown urbana.

Downside is that it's a little pricey.

I was looking at their website and they look really nice! Are any amenities included? Or do you pay additionally for heating/water/etc. I LOVE that they are pet friendly and have NO restrictions! :) That made me a happy camper.

I was looking at their website and they look really nice! Are any amenities included? Or do you pay additionally for heating/water/etc. I LOVE that they are pet friendly and have NO restrictions! :) That made me a happy camper.
Everything but gas/electric, water, and internet is included. Wifi is built into the apartment, but you still pay $35/month for it on top of the base rent. Pet rent is $30/each/month.

The burnout was real this morning.

Not sure I'm emotionally ready for Day 2 of the exam. Very ready for tomorrow at 4 PM. Very not ready for tomorrow at 1 PM.
Things will feel a little better next year when exams start at 9 instead of 1. I hated waking up and realizing I still had like 4-5 more hours until I started the exam.

I just called a clinic to set up appointments for the rabies series. Bye, money.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who needs a place to live next year, my roommate and I are looking for one more person! We would love to have a first year to mentor through vet school :)

Reactions: 2 users
Do we only need the RV vax or do we need others as well such as tetanus? Do you know??
You should be up to date on all of the standard immunizations anyways. I remember having to send my vax records in somewhere prior to matriculating.

Immunization Information | McKinley Health Center | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

You should get more info in a packet at some point.

If for whatever reason, you don't have certain vaccines but you can get them (aka, there is no legit reason why you couldn't), please get them.

You should be up to date on all of the standard immunizations anyways. I remember having to send my vax records in somewhere prior to matriculating.

Immunization Information | McKinley Health Center | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

You should get more info in a packet at some point.

If for whatever reason, you don't have certain vaccines but you can get them (aka, there is no legit reason why you couldn't), please get them.

Thank you!! I'm totally down for getting vacations, I just wanna know what I need need. So I can compare to my old records.

Anyone who needs a place to live next year, my roommate and I are looking for one more person! We would love to have a first year to mentor through vet school :)
interested!!

I've made my decision and I'm sending in my deposit to hold my seat here at University of Illinois. However I'm a bit nervous about sending everything through snail mail. Do they let you know when they have received the letter and check? I just want to ensure everything goes smoothly and I'm clearly an over worrier. Thanks in advance!

I've made my decision and I'm sending in my deposit to hold my seat here at University of Illinois. However I'm a bit nervous about sending everything through snail mail. Do they let you know when they have received the letter and check? I just want to ensure everything goes smoothly and I'm clearly an over worrier. Thanks in advance!
You’ll definitely be able to see when they cash the check, if nothing else.

You’ll definitely be able to see when they cash the check, if nothing else.

So I'm kind of curious/worried as well as to when they receive everything. I sent my acceptance form and check via ups and made it so they had to sign for it and they got it, however I had to send transcripts through the 2 schools I attended companies. Does the school send you and email or an information packet after a certain point to give you like book lists, class log ins, what you need and don't need, big sib form, etc? I just want to prepare enough in advanced that I'm not rushing for things. :)

So I'm kind of curious/worried as well as to when they receive everything. I sent my acceptance form and check via ups and made it so they had to sign for it and they got it, however I had to send transcripts through the 2 schools I attended companies. Does the school send you and email or an information packet after a certain point to give you like book lists, class log ins, what you need and don't need, big sib form, etc? I just want to prepare enough in advanced that I'm not rushing for things. :)
It's not updated yet because it isn't even past this year's acceptance deadline, but: http://vetmed.illinois.edu/education/doctor-veterinary-medicine-degree/admitted-student-info/ lots of info on the website as usual. The info they require from you shouldn't change, so you can start getting an idea of what they need from you.

They did send my class packets via snail mail as well but idk if that has changed since. The school will give you info in time, most likely once the new class roster is more solidified. I don't think I heard anything until May/June maybe. I know it's a confusing time but you will all start hearing more info soon!

Reactions: 1 users
It's not updated yet because it isn't even past this year's acceptance deadline, but: http://vetmed.illinois.edu/education/doctor-veterinary-medicine-degree/admitted-student-info/ lots of info on the website as usual. The info they require from you shouldn't change, so you can start getting an idea of what they need from you.

They did send my class packets via snail mail as well but idk if that has changed since. The school will give you info in time, most likely once the new class roster is more solidified. I don't think I heard anything until May/June maybe. I know it's a confusing time but you will all start hearing more info soon!

I'm just so impatient and anxious and nervous I won't have enough time to get everything ready.

I'm just so impatient and anxious and nervous I won't have enough time to get everything ready.

You'll have more than enough time. Signing day is April 15, so you'll start having more info after that date.

If anything, you can start figuring out where/when to get your rabies series. Some people have a really hard time getting it at home. The campus health center can do it once you get to campus, but that's just another thing on your plate when you're already going to be thoroughly overwhelmed during your first few weeks of school!

if we were waitlisted and were going to get a call/email for the spot would it be after April 15? or do they start contacting people as people decline?

if we were waitlisted and were going to get a call/email for the spot would it be after April 15? or do they start contacting people as people decline?
Dr foreman said that if they know they won’t fill the class based on how many have declined before the deadline, they may start calling people before the deadline.

If anything, you can start figuring out where/when to get your rabies series. Some people have a really hard time getting it at home. The campus health center can do it once you get to campus, but that's just another thing on your plate when you're already going to be thoroughly overwhelmed during your first few weeks of school!

Is there any chance you happen to know how much the shots cost at the campus health center? I'm in Chicago, so I suspect it's as expensive as unethically possible here. It'll be $1200 total if I get them through the organization my physician suggested. And like, I mean. I'll pay that I guess. But it would be nice if it was literally any cheaper than that at all.

Is there any chance you happen to know how much the shots cost at the campus health center? I'm in Chicago, so I suspect it's as expensive as unethically possible here. It'll be $1200 total if I get them through the organization my physician suggested. And like, I mean. I'll pay that I guess. But it would be nice if it was literally any cheaper than that at all.
I'm sorry, I don't know for sure. @batsenecal may know? For some reason, $800 is coming to mind but don't quote me on that. You could probably call McKinley and ask.