University of Tennessee c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where else are you considering?

So far I've gotten in at Ohio State, Missouri, and Tennessee. Still waiting on Iowa State, Illinois, and Wisconsin (the last of which feels like a long shot, but I thought I'd try anyway)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in and will be accepting. I can't wait to meet you all! :)

Feel free to bombard me with questions as well!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! Is anyone else still waiting? I figure they have gone home by now, but I didn't get a decision one way or the other. I thought they would have sent them all out the same day...Probably means I didn't get in I guess :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone that got good news! Were the acceptances all IS or a mix?

CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!! Feel so proud of yourselves right now! You are accomplishing something VERY difficult!!

If anyone has any questions or would like some advice on choosing between schools, I would love to help if I can! I am an OOS student so I totally understand the debt worry. I was accepted at Auburn as well and can tell you my thought process through my decision if you need help..although everyone's decision is different and should be made to fit YOUR needs!

I wish you all the best!

Those of you that are still waiting or that have unfortunately received the bad news, HANG IN THERE! If it's meant to be, it will happen ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if all invites went out today don't loose hope!
I agree, don't lose hope, not many of us posted today. I feel like SDN generally sees more action when a school sends out all acceptances at once....then again I really don't know what UT has done in past years. But don't give up hope! I'm crossing my fingers for you all still waiting! :xf::luck:

I didn't hear anything today either...keeping my head up and just waiting

CONGRATS, UT c/o 2018 :):happy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's hoping Day 2 has more good news...

Got word just now. I was waitlisted. Again. However, there are only 10 people on the in-state waitlist this year, which is a lot less than last year. So there's still hope! But more waiting...

Wait listed as well for OOS! The email said 50 OOS were wait listed for the 25 OOS spots. Wondering if they would let us know what our rank is on the list...

Rejected and I'm okay with that. Tennessee was not one of my top choice schools. Good luck to all you guys on the waitlist!!

Rejected y'all. Time to reconsider my career path...

I'll more than likely decline my spot. I haven't decided for sure yet, I'm waiting to hear from my in state -- but it's very likely, because I think even if I didn't get into my IS, I'd chose Ohio over Tennessee due to finances (residency after a year). But know that the OOS wait lists always move a whole lot, so keep the faith.

Rejected y'all. Time to reconsider my career path...
Forks I'm so sorry! But if this is your passion, do not give up on it! You can make it happen. Did you only apply to UT? Can you apply to other schools to broaden your chances? Not sure if you only applied to your instate..but I applied to 4 schools last year and was accepted at out of state schools while being rejected at my instate..so you could get in somewhere else..you just never know! I definitely recommend applying to out of state schools as well if this is your passion. You can do this! I have faith in you! If you want to talk specifics or need to rant, feel free to message me :) If it is meant to be, you will get there! I'm so sorry you're having a rough ride but it will make your accomplishment in the end so much sweeter!

Did anyone else get a call from the school asking for your social security number? Did anyone else find this a little strange?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I did too, it wasn't until after I gave it to them and hung up that I thought for a moment that I should have probably thought about it for a second before I blabbed it away.

Yeah same here. Whoops, lets just all give away our identities. Whatever, if anyone steals my identity, they can steal the massive amount of debt I'm about to take on.

It was legit. No worries I called the school!

Are there any instate-acceptances who are turning down their spot??

Does anyone know how we're supposed to let the office know we're accepting? I sent an email to Deborah. Also does anyone know about potential roommate situations? I'd like to live with another first year. I have no clue how to go about finding someone at the moment. Are they going to maybe give us info? :-/

Does anyone know how we're supposed to let the office know we're accepting? I sent an email to Deborah. Also does anyone know about potential roommate situations? I'd like to live with another first year. I have no clue how to go about finding someone at the moment. Are they going to maybe give us info? :-/

You need to send a letter addressed to Dr. Kirk accepting your admission.

If I go to UTK we could room together. I'll let you know!

Anyone know if UTK will have an open house for accepted students and families?

@katheryno - Last year, a SDNer made a closed Facebook group and put a link on here. Thats where I found my roommate, and a lot of second years posted about places to live. It was around the April 15th deadline though, when everyone had made their final decisions.

@MEA3885 - There is an open house April 12th, but it includes the general public. I went last year and had a great time, pretty much the entire teaching hospital is open for the public to see with stations of students and clinicians hosting demo procedures. Also, next fall, there are plans to have an open house just for students and their family. Oh, and during orientation week, there is a welcome day where parents and family get to meet some of our professors and get a hospital tour while the students are in orientation meetings. My parents really enjoyed it.

Can a current student give me an overview of what a typical week is like as far as classes, labs, exams, days or hours off etc is like please and thank you! Starting the decision making process and as of right now tuition doesn't get to be my deciding factor since UTK and Auburn will basically cost the same for me as an OOS student.

Sure! So, generally, lectures are in the morning from 8-11:50 (each lecture is 50 mins long with a 10 min break between). We have until 1pm for lunch and usually there are club meetings or free lunches put on by the different drug and food companies during this time. In the afternoon, you are usually in lab from 1 to 3 or 4pm depending on what lab it is. Occasionally there is a lecture at 1 and lab starts at 2, and very rarely there are morning labs. Last semester we usually only had 2 to 3 labs per week, so you'd have quite a few days where you were done at noon. This semester, it is more like 3 to 4 labs a week. As far as tests go, they are always on a Monday or Friday, and you never have more than one test per day (so a max of 2 tests per week). I personally really like this because I feel like I have enough time to focus on each test, however, it can be hard when you have 6 weeks in a row of tests every Monday and Friday. Tests are scheduled for 8am-10am and you have lectures at 11am afterwards (except Anatomy tests - they are always at 1pm and are the only thing scheduled for the day).

Hope that helps! :)

Can a current student give me an overview of what a typical week is like as far as classes, labs, exams, days or hours off etc is like please and thank you! Starting the decision making process and as of right now tuition doesn't get to be my deciding factor since UTK and Auburn will basically cost the same for me as an OOS student.

Classes are all Monday-Friday. The schedule varies quite a bit from day to day, but your shortest day is 8-12 and the longest is 8-5. You always have lunch from 12-1. Most weeks you will have one or two days that go until 5, and the others finish early afternoon. Labs tend to be in the afternoon. The hours get a little heavier in the later semesters. The majority of the exams are scheduled on either Mondays or Fridays at 8am.

If you have other questions let me know.

Sure! So, generally, lectures are in the morning from 8-11:50 (each lecture is 50 mins long with a 10 min break between). We have until 1pm for lunch and usually there are club meetings or free lunches put on by the different drug and food companies during this time. In the afternoon, you are usually in lab from 1 to 3 or 4pm depending on what lab it is. Occasionally there is a lecture at 1 and lab starts at 2, and very rarely there are morning labs. Last semester we usually only had 2 to 3 labs per week, so you'd have quite a few days where you were done at noon. This semester, it is more like 3 to 4 labs a week. As far as tests go, they are always on a Monday or Friday, and you never have more than one test per day (so a max of 2 tests per week). I personally really like this because I feel like I have enough time to focus on each test, however, it can be hard when you have 6 weeks in a row of tests every Monday and Friday. Tests are scheduled for 8am-10am and you have lectures at 11am afterwards (except Anatomy tests - they are always at 1pm and are the only thing scheduled for the day).

Hope that helps! :)
Thank you! That helps tremendously! Love that there is only 1 test a day!! That's fantastic! :)
Why did you pick UTK if you don't mind me asking. If you could change something about the school what would it be?

Thank you! That helps tremendously! Love that there is only 1 test a day!! That's fantastic! :)
Why did you pick UTK if you don't mind me asking. If you could change something about the school what would it be?

I should probably mention that finals break the 2 per week rule… Finals week is a test every day. But still just one test per day lol.

UTK is instate for me, so that was a big factor, but I love the smaller class size, the new large animal hospital is really amazing (and I'm primarily small animal lol), there isn't a dress code (per say, but many of us dress business casual in case there is a tiger or lion or something cool in the exotics department, plus you never know when you'll run into a future employer…), and Knoxville is really pretty with the mountains and the Tennessee river and it is very dog friendly. That was a pretty random list lol.

As far as what I would change, maybe a couple of professors? I think that is probably the case at any school though.

Edit: I wrote a pros/cons list here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/factors-when-picking-a-school.580221/page-8#post-14832279

Wait listed as well for OOS! The email said 50 OOS were wait listed for the 25 OOS spots. Wondering if they would let us know what our rank is on the list...
I was waitlisted too and called Dr. Kirk. She spent 25 mins on the phone with me reviewing my application and although she didn't tell me my exact position, she shared enough that I got a decent idea of where I stand. I'd encourage you to call if you really want to know :)

Hey guys has anyone made a Facebook group for the class of 2018?

Congratulations to everyone who got in!! Can't wait to meet you and be classmates :)
I live in Knoxville and work in the large animal department currently so if you OOS people have any questions please let me know!
As far as a facebook group, the presidents of the class above usually make a page after the list is nailed down in April (my boyfriend is president of c/o 2017), but maybe we could make one early to start getting to know each other and switch over later or incorporate it. Thoughts?

I say make one! I want to find a roommate! ;)

Okay everyone! Presidents of c/o 2017 have approved and a Facebook group has been made. It's called UTCVM c/o 2018. Should be able to search for it. If not, PM me and I'll add you :) Please join only after you have officially accepted your seat. Can't wait to meet everyone!