University of Tennessee c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why did you pick UTK if you don't mind me asking. If you could change something about the school what would it be?
Hi MEA!
I was in your position this time last year with the Auburn/UT decision as an OOS student. If you would like to talk more feel free to message me! but for me, it comes down to where you feel comfortable and what your interests are.
My passion is exotic felines (although I love small animal too and have many interests). We get big cats at UTCVM very often and I have had wonderful exposure in this field. The exotics department is wonderful and I love the doctors.
I felt very welcomed at UT and it felt more "home-y" to me.
Location also played a large role..I'm from NC and honestly the drive through Atlanta was almost enough to push me away from Auburn by itself lol. And UT is only 2 hrs from home for me.
The dress code was also a huge deciding factor as well...Auburn has a very strict dress code and I personally don't find this necessary. Although I usually dress decently professional every day at UT (professional dress is required if you walk through the clinics which I do almost daily), Auburn had much stricter standards and I just don't find it necessary to wear ties, skirts, heals, etc. to school when your aiming towards a career in which you will be wearing scrubs and will be covered in poop all day.
I enjoyed the city of Auburn but I like Knoxville pretty well too (still not completely used to how big it is though!)
Auburn is cheaper for OOS...but with this amount of debt a few thousand doesn't seem to be that big of a difference. I decided all the other factors played a much larger role since I was already going to be in debt for life :p
These were major deciding factors for me personally..they may not matter for you! That's why this decision can only be made by you and based on your interests, your experiences and your personal preferences.
Sorry for the lonnng answer but I hope it was helpful :)

Members don't see this ad.

Also looks like I might be looking for a roommate in my house! Let me know if anyone's interested :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@MEA3885 you should go to Tennessee... ;)
I'm thinking I'll be going to FL. checking out housing and horse farms tomorrow and Wednesday and based on what I find I will decide. But I'm really liking the option of in state tuition....but I love UTK!!! So hard to decide!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 1 user
I say make one! I want to find a roommate! ;)

Oftentimes, current first and second years will also be a part of the Facebook group to help you guys out with any questions and I even know some of them will be looking for roommates which is an awesome opportunity as they will become an awesome resource! (and understand your crazy schedule)

I am declining my acceptance, and I so hope it goes to one of y'all! Good luck!!!

I am taking myself off the waitlist for OOS. Hopefully this gives someone else a better chance of getting accepted! Good luck! :)

In case anyone was still still on waitlist - I got accepted today to UTK! I don't if anybody else was still waiting but I was and now am super happy to be able to choose where I go! :D Hopefully nobody forgot about this thread.

Reactions: 2 users
In case anyone was still still on waitlist - I got accepted today to UTK! I don't if anybody else was still waiting but I was and now am super happy to be able to choose where I go! :D Hopefully nobody forgot about this thread.

I got off the waitlist last week. UTK CVM is a wonderful school, but I sadly decided to decline my offer. Hopefully more waitlisters will be hearing good news soon!!

Just declined my IS acceptance because I chose to go to NCSU, hope that helps out someone on the IS waitlist!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted off the OOS wait list this morning but I will most likely be declining! Good luck to the rest!

So...does this sound right? I know I was in the top 5 on the waitlist (they told me so). It looks like at least 2 people on here were moved off the waitlist. One of those people turned down his spot. So that means someone has gotten/will get off the waitlist soon. Then an in-stater is turning down his spot to go somewhere else. One more person. That's 4 people, right? So does that mean I could be...next???? :) Definitely not a guarantee I will get in of course, but I am soooooo close!!!!!

I got pulled off the waitlist this morning as well!

Anybody know about loans? When well hear the final decision?

I think I was mistaken about the waitlist....I think everyone who has been called off it as of yet is OOS. Is that correct? Anyone been called off of it IS? I called the other day to change my address with the school, and Ms. Shepherd said they had not called anyone off the IS waitlist.

If anyone is looking for (cheap) housing options, the room I've been renting for the past 2 years will be available around June. PM me if interested for more details.

Congrats everyone!

Just thought some of you would be interested that my daughter was rejected after her interview at Tennesee ( no offer of being on the wait list) and today got a call offering admission. ( OOS). She has already accepted at another school so will be declining.

Just thought some of you would be interested that my daughter was rejected after her interview at Tennesee ( no offer of being on the wait list) and today got a call offering admission. ( OOS). She has already accepted at another school so will be declining.

That just happened to me too! I declined as well, already accepted to The OSU.

Wow just got accepted after my rejection!

Last edited:
I think in the future Tennessee should have a larger wait list or not sent rejections so soon so that this doesn't happen again.

Even more mad I didn't apply to Tennessee than I already was right now :p

Congrats to everyone who is getting accepted! I am a little confused, they have not exhausted the waitlist...unless you guys are OOS...because I am on the IS waitlist and have not been called, and what's more, Ms. Shepherd said the waitlist hadn't moved at all. Not that I am not excited for you guys, it's totally great news, but why would they be pulling rejected applicants before waitlisted applicants?

Congrats to everyone who is getting accepted! I am a little confused, they have not exhausted the waitlist...unless you guys are OOS...because I am on the IS waitlist and have not been called, and what's more, Ms. Shepherd said the waitlist hadn't moved at all. Not that I am not excited for you guys, it's totally great news, but why would they be pulling rejected applicants before waitlisted applicants?

Most schools have separate IS and OOS waitlist. It seems that Tennessee has already gone through the OOS waitlist, and is now calling off the rejected OOSers to fill the class. The IS waitlist may not be moving if the IS spots are currently full, which would explain why you haven't heard anything.

Tennessee has separate IS and OOS wait lists. Tennessee has also committed to not over-accepting so the class is the appropriate size (85). So, they sent exactly 85 acceptance letters and a small number of wait list letters. As they go through the waitlist, they will go through the top rejected people for OOS. They can't not send rejection letters and keep people in limbo... That's not fair.

Sorry to the IS people. I hope if they keep getting declined from OOS students,, they may pull more off the IS waitlist, but I wouldn't count on it.

If they increased the waitlist size it wouldn't hurt their commitment to not over-accepting. I think it is more unfair to send a rejection letter, and then a few months later an acceptance letter. I declined my spot, I hope they start accepting the instates that are still on the waitlist! Good luck to all of you.

Tennessee just did a major overhaul of their admissions process, and while it is much improved, it obviously isn't perfect yet. Also, last year, only a small handful of people got called off the wait list (both IS and OOS), so it is really hard to predict how many people should go on the wait list from year to year.

Personally, I think UT is doing a really good job listening to it's students and trying to make improvements to benefit as many as possible. Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those still on the wait list!

Don't know if any of you are close enough to make it, but Tuesday next week the seniors are having a "yard sale" to sell off crap at the vet school, late morning to early afternoon.

Does anyone know what Tennessee does for orientation?

Does anyone know what Tennessee does for orientation?
There is a 2 day /1 night "camp" for team building, then a few days of orientation lectures where your family is involved for certain things and you have a white coat ceremony.

I got called off the IS waitlist this morning!!!! I am sooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats Pennylover, that is awesome. It must have been terrible waiting. See you in the fall.

Hey all! I'm still searching for a place to live. Any suggestions?

Have you looked at the Facebook page? I know of a few of my classmates that are still looking for roommates which would be a great option! :)

I'm in!!!!! :) omg!!! I can't believe it!!!!!!

I know this is way late (and maybe even creepy...?), but I noticed you got accepted despite having previously thought you bombed the interview. This is reassuring because I have my own interview this Saturday (January 9th) and am beyond nervous. Any tips or advice?

I know this is way late (and maybe even creepy...?), but I noticed you got accepted despite having previously thought you bombed the interview. This is reassuring because I have my own interview this Saturday (January 9th) and am beyond nervous. Any tips or advice?

Did you hop into the thread about UTK c/o 2020 applications? A few of us posted in there about the interviews over the past few days.

Did you hop into the thread about UTK c/o 2020 applications? A few of us posted in there about the interviews over the past few days.

Thank you! No, I haven't visited in over a week or so, but I'll check it out. :)

I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask on but here goes..

Any current UTK students have any info on the summer anesthesia crew? It sounded so cool and no other schools seem to do it. What year do you have to be, how hard is it to get into, etc...

Thank you in advance!