University of Tennessee c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forks4spoons

Followin' the dream. UTCVM c/o 2023!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, y'all! I know it's forever away, but I thought I'd get this party started! :hardy:

Third application cycle's a charm - I hope!

Looking forward to meeting everyone. :)

:love::love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, y'all! I know it's forever away, but I thought I'd get this party started! :hardy:

:love::love:

This is your year! :biglove:

Yay! This thread makes me happy happy happy!

I'm rooting for you forks! :luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
You got this! Third time is a charm!

Third time is definitely a charm. :luck::luck::luck:

Yay yay! Thanks y'all! I certainly hope you're right! :D :D

Third time for me too!! And after 2 years of basically straight rejections, I'm 3 for 3 on interviews so far... I think 3rd time will be the charm fingers crossed!! Best of luck to you! (and makes me feel better that i'm not the only one whos been trying over and over!)

Reactions: 1 users
Third time for me too!! And after 2 years of basically straight rejections, I'm 3 for 3 on interviews so far... I think 3rd time will be the charm fingers crossed!! Best of luck to you! (and makes me feel better that i'm not the only one whos been trying over and over!)

I got in on my fourth try, so its totally possible!

They revamped the admissions process and points system, so it may be beneficial to several of you!

Reactions: 1 user
How did they revamp it??? Can you give specifics? I've been trying to strengthen my application based on what Dr. Brace told me last year. Went to admissions to talk to Deborah Shepherd and she just told me interview dates had changed!

How did they revamp it??? Can you give specifics? I've been trying to strengthen my application based on what Dr. Brace told me last year. Went to admissions to talk to Deborah Shepherd and she just told me interview dates had changed!

Well, they are doing packet reviews this year. GPA and GRE are only 33% instead of 67%. File/packet score is another 33%, and the remainder is interview score.

We are looking for people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and goals.

Well, they are doing packet reviews this year. GPA and GRE are only 33% instead of 67%. File/packet score is another 33%, and the remainder is interview score.

We are looking for people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and goals.

Oh this is the best news! That's just what I needed!!! :D Thanks so much!!!!

When are interview invites supposed to go out for them again...?

I think I got my interview invite in early March last year (for an interview in late march)...if I was on my computer instead of my phone, I'd check for sure. But UTK's are usually later that the other schools. They had the interview week posted on their website last year, but who knows with how much things change from year to year!

I think I got my interview invite in early March last year (for an interview in late march)...if I was on my computer instead of my phone, I'd check for sure. But UTK's are usually later that the other schools. They had the interview week posted on their website last year, but who knows with how much things change from year to year!

I'm pretty sure interviews will be earlier this year, but not sure.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm guessing things like study abroad, research experience, internships, volunteer jobs, other jobs, clubs etc will count towards more of the final decision then this year?

I spoke to Deborah Shepherd a month or so ago (had to ask her an admission-related question), and she informed me that interviews are around January 21st this year :heckyeah:

Reactions: 3 users
Who else had a heart attack after receiving the e-mail that was sent out earlier today?? At least they are informing us of their methods/timeline!

Who else had a heart attack after receiving the e-mail that was sent out earlier today?? At least they are informing us of their methods/timeline!
I did! haha. Although I wish interviews weren't QUITE so early, one reason I chose UT was so I could not have it conflict/bunch up with other interviews if I get them.

I definitely did. And it wouldn't even open up at first!

Are we sure it's really snail mail invites?

Last year they sent out e-mail invites. Even though interviews are a lot earlier this year, I believe they will still send out emails.

Does anyone know if it's just the gpa that decides the interview invite or is it gpa and packet review?? And also do this semester's grades get factored into decisions?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's just the gpa that decides the interview invite or is it gpa and packet review?? And also do this semester's grades get factored into decisions?

In the past it has been just the academics scores (overall GPA, phys sci GPA, GRE, etc.) that determined your interview invite. Then your personal statement, letters of rec, experience, etc. were included in your interview score. Now that they have changed things, I don't know if that is still the case.

As far as current semester grades, they will definitely factor into your final score, but I don't think they will affect your interview invite. I would probably check with Deborah Shepherd though.

Its packet scores and GPA that determine interview invites this year.

Also interesting--this year, the interview team will have a senior student participating as well!

Just gotta say ... I'm on pins and needles, y'all.

Just gotta say ... I'm on pins and needles, y'all.
I was just about to post, anyone else starting to freak out about this week?? I'll me at the mailbox waiting for the mailman daily!!!

Never been so excited for the weekend to be overrrrr!!!!!!

Is it snail mail or email?? Good luck to everyone :)

The email we got said they will mail out notifications this week so I'm assuming...snail mail :-(

The email we got said they will mail out notifications this week so I'm assuming...snail mail :-(
You know what they say about assuming things... ;)

Be optimistic. E-mail is the way to go these days!! :D

You know what they say about assuming things... ;)

Be optimistic. E-mail is the way to go these days!! :D
Haha!!! I keep refreshing my email anyways!:)

Since I'm a crazy person and obsessed, I called Deborah to ask if interview invites will be mailed or e-mailed. She said.... they are being sent both ways! So we can keep refreshing our e-mails AND stalking the mailman ;):thumbup::luck::luck::luck:

Grrrr i based a lot of decisions on the old interview process so now I'm nervous... Not sure what's going to happen now...

Refresh, refresh, refresh... :(

I was crazy. I called. She said probably Friday.

Reactions: 2 users
Well I'm trying to plan flight stuff too because I'm going to be in Ohio until the 19th, so if I could just go back via Tennessee (if I get an interview -fingers crossed-), it would be a lot easier.

Thank you for calling, Got my first rejection yesterday so I'm really hoping for this one, and it's good to know when to expect the final word!
Of course, glad to share the benefits of my crazy with everyone. Deborah didn't seem overly amused, oops. And I'm sorry about your news, but hopefully this one will be better!!! It'll all work out in the end for all of us somehow. :)

One day closer.....Friday is so far away!! Good luck to everyone!!

Why can't they just make the decisions right away?
:( :(

Check your emails gang ;):bow:

My interview is on the 21st!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!