UNTHSC/TCOM M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! So I'm also interested in the program and I'm working on getting rec letters right now. I'm actually emailing a couple of my past science professors, in hopes that they would write me one, but could anyone tell me what's important to be included in the letters? Thanks!

Typically what you would put on a premed or predental letter.

Members don't see this ad.

This might be a silly question but for anyone who has been to the UNTHSC, is there a cafeteria on campus and is it open throughout the day? How's the food? Also, are there any research jobs available and if so, do you even have time to work during the program?

This might be a silly question but for anyone who has been to the UNTHSC, is there a cafeteria on campus and is it open throughout the day? How's the food? Also, are there any research jobs available and if so, do you even have time to work during the program?
My sister was there for an internship one summer. She told me the food there was good and there were a lot of healthy options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where we have our references send our LOR's to? And also our official transcripts? Please help!

Has anyone been accepted to this program yet? Thanks!

Nope! Not yet. At the open house, the coordinator said we should start hearing back in early February :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
Just called them to see if they received all my materials. Also asked them when they will start reviewing applications and sending out acceptances...they said they will start next week and it will be on a rolling admissions basis:)

Just called them to see if they received all my materials. Also asked them when they will start reviewing applications and sending out acceptances...they said they will start next week and it will be on a rolling admissions basis:)
Awesome thanks a bunch for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can UNT use your AACOMAS Transcripts for admissions purposes? I'm considering applying soon.

Hopefully someone hears back this week! I just submitted on the 25th so I assume it will be a while

Submitted 11/18. I'll let everyone know when I hear back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Hello - Is anyone familiar with UNTHSC "pre-admission" advising? Do they have anyone to speak to about the program and what they look for in an applicant? I reached out to the admissions office after reading on their website that you can schedule a campus tour and a one-on-one with an admissions counselor only to be told that this is only an option for accepted students. Seems somewhat backwards to me. How is anyone supposed to learn more about the program if no one is available/willing to answer a potential student's questions? Just looking for suggestions.

From my online research, UNTHSC seems to be an excellent "stepping stone" for those looking to move onto medical school. I wish all of you the best of luck on your applications!

Hello - Is anyone familiar with UNTHSC "pre-admission" advising? Do they have anyone to speak to about the program and what they look for in an applicant? I reached out to the admissions office after reading on their website that you can schedule a campus tour and a one-on-one with an admissions counselor only to be told that this is only an option for accepted students. Seems somewhat backwards to me. How is anyone supposed to learn more about the program if no one is available/willing to answer a potential student's questions? Just looking for suggestions.

From my online research, UNTHSC seems to be an excellent "stepping stone" for those looking to move onto medical school. I wish all of you the best of luck on your applications!

Hey, so the first thing I did was call them to try to schedule an appointment, then they told me that I had to send an email request. After 2 weeks of no response to my email I just went up to the admissions office and asked to speak to someone so that I could schedule an appointment. Some lady invited me into the office and answered my questions and apologized, saying that they had been busy orienting new students to the other programs. I get that maybe isn't an option if you don't live in DFW, but if you do you might want to just try scheduling an appointment in person. Good luck!

Also: The appointment was more of a 15 minute discussion of general requirements, they didn't really give me any more information than what was provided online :/

Hello everyone!

I'm a senior pre-dental at Texas A&M applying for dental school for Fall 2018. Im also currently applying for the Medical Sciences program at UNT HSC. I have a relatively low gap (3.39) but got a 21 on the DAT. I just submitted my application a few weeks ago and I'm waiting on my professors to send my letters of recommendation. I'm worried about my chances for getting in because my file is not complete :bucktooth: I'm actually concerned that my file won't be complete by March 15th. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Hello everyone!

I'm a senior pre-dental at Texas A&M applying for dental school for Fall 2018. Im also currently applying for the Medical Sciences program at UNT HSC. I have a relatively low gap (3.39) but got a 21 on the DAT. I just submitted my application a few weeks ago and I'm waiting on my professors to send my letters of recommendation. I'm worried about my chances for getting in because my file is not complete :bucktooth: I'm actually concerned that my file won't be complete by March 15th. Is anyone else in the same boat?

I believe last cycle they were willing to wait for essential documents a week or two past the application deadline. However, they will not review the application until all of the requirements for completion have been met. Additionally, I cannot say with absolute certainty how long they would wait this year. I suggest calling or e-mailing the program directly to find out more information. Hope this helps! :)

My shortest essay question was around 100 words, and my longest was around 400. Is there anyone that thinks responding to all questions with 800 words important? I feel that I get my point across well with what I have, but looking at the length of my responses makes me feel uncertain.

My shortest essay question was around 100 words, and my longest was around 400. Is there anyone that thinks responding to all questions with 800 words important? I feel that I get my point across well with what I have, but looking at the length of my responses makes me feel uncertain.
Not sure what to say about 100 words, but if you get the point across in 400 words then that's sufficient. I found myself elaborating on one of the essays just to get to a certain word count and it was just extra fluff so I deleted it all.

Honestly, I wouldn't try for 800 words for most of them. When I applied to the program last year, my longest essay was somewhere around 600 words, but that was only for one question. If you can get your point across in 300-400 words, that is much better than trying to drag out an answer for 800 words. Be thorough and concise.

Reactions: 1 users
It's been a minute for any posts in here haha I check EVERYDAY, anybody hear anything yet or contact the school recently with any update whatsoever????

It's been a minute for any posts in here haha I check EVERYDAY, anybody hear anything yet or contact the school recently with any update whatsoever????
I do, too! This site and the myHSC tab every single day. Still says complete and received. It's sad. I'm hoping with the application closing this week we'll start hearing back.

Nope :( at the open house, they said that they would start sending out acceptances in early February, but I guess it's taking them longer to go through our applications

Just stopping in to say hello! When searching through last year's thread, the acceptances didn't start until the end of March so looks like we will need to keep ourselves busy with other things for a few weeks! Have a great week and I'll be sure to update the thread if I get any news!

Last edited:
I'm new to SDN and admit I have been checking the app portal daily! I feel like we need a support group JUST to combat our constant checking of the application status. We will be ok guys we just have to occupy our time with something else because it looks like we have at least 5 weeks before notices could go out. Prepare for the worst but expect the best. Good luck to you all!

What do you guys plan on doing if you don't get into this program? Have y'all applied to other SMPs?

Just stopping in to say hello! When searching through last year's thread, the acceptances didn't start until the end of March so looks like we will need to keep ourselves busy with other things for a few weeks! Have a great week and I'll be sure to update the thread if I get any news!

Yeah that was the case last year. After the end of March, people started getting accepted every week. I submitted my app mid February and I heard back during the last week of April.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What do you guys plan on doing if you don't get into this program? Have y'all applied to other SMPs?

I've been trying to get some information on the University of Incarnate Word, but it's been a little difficult. They have a brand new DO program and their M.S. in Biomedical Sciences only had their first class this past year. It's a 1 year specialized program, so I'm calling them today to get some info. I think their apps close April 1.
I'm also going to apply to Texas A&M M.S program, but it's a 2 year program unfortunately and it starts Fall 2017.

Yeah that was the case last year. After the end of March, people started getting accepted every week. I submitted my app mid February and I heard back during the last week of April.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Wow, end of April? That cuts it pretty close for those who are out of state.

Hey guys. Check yall's email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys. Check yall's email. I just got accepted at 6:24 Central time

Whaaa?! Congrats!!
Please share the date you submitted, stats and what your portal said prior to acceptance.

Wow, I wasn't expecting them to send out any acceptances until the end of March. Congrats though! Nervously waiting for an answer from admissions. I submitted 1/17. I'll let you guys know if I receive an update!

Thanks!
Submitted on 12/30. LizzyM ~65. It said something about my app being received on the top, and "This application is Complete." on the bottom. I'm pretty sure I didn't get an "Under Review" update or anything because I checked my portal this morning after I saw that a couple of you posted on this thread after like a week of silence and it had those same statuses. It changed directly to the congrats status, and after I accepted it, it now says "We have received your intent to matriculate."

Anyone know of any good apartments that are walking distance to campus? I've never been in to that area.

Anyone know of any good apartments that are walking distance to campus? I've never been in to that area.

Well congrats again and thanks for the info! I'm personally living in West Dallas and am not super familiar with the area, but had a lot of friends that lived near UNTHSC campus and loved it!

I'm kind of sad because I submitted 12/13 and didn't get any email. Do you think that means I got rejected? btw congrats!!

Thanks!
Submitted on 12/30. LizzyM ~65. It said something about my app being received on the top, and "This application is Complete." on the bottom. I'm pretty sure I didn't get an "Under Review" update or anything because I checked my portal this morning after I saw that a couple of you posted on this thread after like a week of silence and it had those same statuses. It changed directly to the congrats status, and after I accepted it, it now says "We have received your intent to matriculate."

Wow that's amazing!!! Congratulations to you :) :) :) I'm happy the acceptances are going out earlier than last year! Good luck everyone!

Well congrats again and thanks for the info! I'm personally living in West Dallas and am not super familiar with the area, but had a lot of friends that lived near UNTHSC campus and loved it!

Thanks, and no problem! I see. I live in Houston, and my sister goes to Southwestern, but I don't think she's gone to the UNT area. I'm probably gonna just have to go there and see for myself.

I'm kind of sad because I submitted 12/13 and didn't get any email. Do you think that means I got rejected? btw congrats!!

Don't be discouraged. I think they literally just started sending out acceptances. When I emailed them at the beginning of February, they said that they would only start reviewing apps starting mid-February. I'm pretty sure you have until sometime in April to get an acceptance. Also, I had some unique things in my app that they probably really liked. And don't listen to the people who say you need to have an upward GPA trend or a really good GPA for the last 60 hours. I basically failed a class during my last semester. lol. Good luck!!

Wow that's amazing!!! Congratulations to you :) :) :) I'm happy the acceptances are going out earlier than last year! Good luck everyone!

Thank you! :):):)

Last edited:
EDIT: I just fully read my email and it says "You must accept the offer before 8:00 a.m. CST on March 14, 2017."
I'm not sure if that date is different for everyone or what.
:):):)
From what I read on many of the other threads, I think they give you ~2 weeks to accept the offer.

Congratulations on your acceptance! If you don't mind me asking, what would you say was particularly unique about your app?

Thanks for the word of encouragement! I'm just worried that because I applied before you, they probably already went through my application and since I'm not hearing anything back but you did, then that means I'm either wait-listed or rejected. Just wish they'd let me know now lol oh welllll