UPenn c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
http://www.vinfoundation.org/apputil/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=5327182&said=-1

This website says that out-of-state tuition is 250k but at the interview, we were told 53k per year, which is more like 212k. Does anyone know if the 38k comes from tuition increases or something? Also, the technology fee-thats buying a certain kind of laptop i'm guessing? So, we were told that's mandatory?--even if we already have a laptop?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I'm an OOS applicant planning to track equine. My interview is on Feb. 5th in the morning. I heard that Penn tries to interview the large animal applicants on the same day so we can go to New Bolton. Anyone else interviewing on the 5th?

Wahoo!!! Apparently, cell service was an issue in delivering my acceptance :D

In other words, don't let speculative "bad news" on the forums get you down, because I'm in!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone that has been accepted! I'm interviewing this weekend and hope to have the same good news by this time next week!

Hi everyone! I'm an OOS applicant planning to track equine. My interview is on Feb. 5th in the morning. I heard that Penn tries to interview the large animal applicants on the same day so we can go to New Bolton. Anyone else interviewing on the 5th?

Me!! :hello: And I'm interested in equine as well!

Hi everyone! I got an email last Friday that I am interviewing on the 12th! I was going to email potential PhD advisors to set up appointments for the PhD-VMD program but thankfully I waited until I got home because I found a PhD-VMD rejection letter in the mail. That would have been awkward. There goes my dreams and quite a bit of my confidence. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's so hard not to think about how great an acceptance would be.

Hi everyone! I got an email last Friday that I am interviewing on the 12th! I was going to email potential PhD advisors to set up appointments for the PhD-VMD program but thankfully I waited until I got home because I found a PhD-VMD rejection letter in the mail. That would have been awkward. There goes my dreams and quite a bit of my confidence. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's so hard not to think about how great an acceptance would be.

You can still get into the VMD program and unless things have changed, you can be accepted in the PhD program during first year and possibly second year.

any word on rejection letters yet?? this waiting is getting to me…

Reactions: 4 users
At what time did people start receiving calls if they were accepted?

Has anyone heard anything yet from Friday's interviews? Freaking out juuuust a little over here

Has anyone heard anything yet from Friday's interviews? Freaking out juuuust a little over here
I was just notified that I was put on hold :(. I guess us hold folks don't find out until mid-February if we're accepted or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm interviewing next week as part of the last group of candidates. Can anyone who has already done the interview process give me a quick idea of the tone and type of questions? Is it casual or more intense?

So I'm interviewing next week as part of the last group of candidates. Can anyone who has already done the interview process give me a quick idea of the tone and type of questions? Is it casual or more intense?
mine was really casual and laid back. We both talked a lot and I enjoyed it a lot!

Hey, just curious, how do you know you were part of the last group of candidates to get an interview?

Someone relayed on here earlier that admissions said Feb 12th was the last interview day I believe

Oh, okay. I know last year they went a bit later, so I was curious.
I called admissions yesterday and they told me interviews would be going on "through February" and that if I was selected for an inteview i would be contacted shortly because they try to give at least two weeks. But someone above said admissions told them February 12th was the last interview date. We'll see I guess!

I spoke to Rob DiMeo on the phone the day before I even got my invite and asked what the last interview day was and he told me it was February 12th. I don't know about anyone else, but he's the one that sent me my invite, so I believe him.

He did say that people would be contacted up until that day for interviews though since people are accepted to other schools and cancel their interview, or never accept the interview in the first place.

He did say that people would be contacted up until that day for interviews though since people are accepted to other schools and cancel their interview, or never accept the interview in the first place.

He told me the same thing. I am going to cancel my interview tomorrow so maybe someone will get good news. Good luck everyone!

I know they say they'll send out interview invite up until the day of, but I was just wondering if anyone else still hasn't heard anything. I emailed Rob today just to make sure I didn't somehow miss an email but I haven't heard back yet...

I know they say they'll send out interview invite up until the day of, but I was just wondering if anyone else still hasn't heard anything. I emailed Rob today just to make sure I didn't somehow miss an email but I haven't heard back yet...
Let me know if you hear back. I called the admission office before and they said the last interview is expecting to be the last Friday of Feb. I am not sure how trustworthy that is. I did not hear back at all but I am assuming I got rejected.

Let me know if you hear back. I called the admission office before and they said the last interview is expecting to be the last Friday of Feb. I am not sure how trustworthy that is. I did not hear back at all but I am assuming I got rejected.

I called on Friday to check on the status of my application because I have not heard from them yet, and the person on the phone said that my file was still under review and that they will still be sending out invites throughout February, but that they try to give as much notice as possible. It's just a little frustrating because I feel like they haven't really rejected very many people at this point and are just keeping a huge chunk of us on standby just in case interviewees cancel. I appreciate still being considered and Penn was my dream school but I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I have already received an acceptance to one of my top choices that I would like to commit to as soon as possible to get things like housing sorted out for next year, but I still feel like I want to hear back from all of my schools (Penn is the last one) before I send in that deposit. Anyone else in the same boat?

I called on Friday to check on the status of my application because I have not heard from them yet, and the person on the phone said that my file was still under review and that they will still be sending out invites throughout February, but that they try to give as much notice as possible. It's just a little frustrating because I feel like they haven't really rejected very many people at this point and are just keeping a huge chunk of us on standby just in case interviewees cancel. I appreciate still being considered and Penn was my dream school but I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I have already received an acceptance to one of my top choices that I would like to commit to as soon as possible to get things like housing sorted out for next year, but I still feel like I want to hear back from all of my schools (Penn is the last one) before I send in that deposit. Anyone else in the same boat?

I totally understand the frustration, but if I recall correctly, Penn is fairly upfront about the length of their interviewing process. We've been telling this to people each year, so it's something to consider when applying. I promise Penn has a method to their madness and you will hear when you're supposed to hear from them.

Also, I promise you will have enough time to figure out housing. People get accepted off wait lists all the time and have plenty of time to figure everything out. Heck, I applied for all my loans in the middle of the summer and got all the funding I needed, including institutional aid.

I know exactly how you feel... except for he being accepted part. I applied to 8 school and have been rejected from 5 so far. I'm really really hoping I get into my instate school but it would be nice to hear something from Penn, like if I'm on the waiting list for an interview or if they just plan on rejecting me

I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!! Rob emailed me back and said it was funny that I was emailing him because a spot just became available for me! Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard, there's still hope and this proves it!

Reactions: 2 users
I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!! Rob emailed me back and said it was funny that I was emailing him because a spot just became available for me! Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard, there's still hope and this proves it!
Are they only offering for feb 12th though? When was your interview for?

Are they only offering for feb 12th though? When was your interview for?
My interview is for the 12th and in Rob's response he asked if I was interest in attending that day. So I don't know if that means they have are more days or not. The email says you need to accept or deny by the 4th so if there isn't another day, people waiting should know soon.

Just got my denial from UPenn :/ gotta hope that my instate and Illinois want me now after these interviews! Goodluck everyone!

Just got my denial from UPenn :/ gotta hope that my instate and Illinois want me now after these interviews! Goodluck everyone!

I was denied as well. I also have an interview at Illinois and already interviewed at OSU. Good luck!

Sorry to hear that :( Did they email you or was it through snail mail? I still haven't heard anything from penn and am assuming I've also been rejected

You as well maybe we will be classmates :)
I was denied as well. I also have an interview at Illinois and already interviewed at OSU. Good luck!

Through email
Sorry to hear that :( Did they email you or was it through snail mail? I still haven't heard anything from penn and am assuming I've also been rejected

Hey so I'm sure most people interviewing on the 12th already have hotels but if not, my room has a pull out sofa I won't be using so I'd be down to split the room if anyone is interest!

Officially rejected by email, but at least that means I can make an official decision now!

I have a few questions about penn and was hoping if there are any current students out there if they could help me out :)

One thing I would like to learn about how much exposure you are given to animals during 1st and 2nd year because I have had a hard time finding information about this! Also it sounds like there are a lot of clubs available to join, are some of those options to gain more hands on experience?

I got my acceptance call yesterday! Woohoo! Excited to meet my future classmates!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a few questions about penn and was hoping if there are any current students out there if they could help me out :)

One thing I would like to learn about how much exposure you are given to animals during 1st and 2nd year because I have had a hard time finding information about this! Also it sounds like there are a lot of clubs available to join, are some of those options to gain more hands on experience?

Here's a message I sent to someone else earlier about hands on experience:
So, the school is constantly working on trying to improve the hands-on aspect of the curriculum. Compared to some other schools, there is probably less hands on experience directly built into the curriculum but it is SO easy to get.
  1. The course we have built in to provide hands-on experience is call Intro to Clinical Vet Med. First year it teaches you the basics of how to write a SOAP, PE patients, etc but isn't super hands on. In second year, you are required to do treatment shifts in the hospital and out at New Bolton. This is probably where you'll get the bulk of your hands on time through the school. At the end of second year, you have a required practical exam doing a PE on a horse and cow. I think there should be a dog and cat one too, honestly, but there isn't yet.
  2. Several of the services (ES, Exotics are probably the big two) allow students to shadow at various times. It might not be super hands on because the 4th years will be working up their cases, but depending on need, it can be more hands on at times. At the very least, you get exposed to other cases and how the hospital works. Other services, including exotics, hire students to help out. I've seen like one student working in the fluids wards as a nurse at night, but I'm not sure how that all worked since all our nurses are CVTs and many are specialized. I just worked a shift though last night to cover for a nurse who couldn't get in due to the snow.
  3. ******* VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE ON THIS********: There is a new class/elective if you want to participate at the shelters. I think it will still get you the same great experience, if not even improve the surgical experience. That being said, I've heard it costs $99 to take the course. I do not know if this is a one time fee and you have to keep enrolling in the course or what. The price wasn't stated upfront so people are a little annoyed, but I'd honestly pay that for the experience.There are a ton of outside school opportunities to provide experience. We have many shelters in the area that allow you to get involved from day one. Things might change a little with this as a new vet is in charge of the Shelter Medicine Club, but I think she'll only make it better. Through this club, I've been doing cat neuters since first year, spays since second year and went into 4th year with probably 100 if not more surgeries under my belt. This was great for me because when I went on my shelter/low cost spay neuters externships because I was given more leeway as to what I was allowed to do. There are also several vaccine clinics throughout the year that provide experience.
  4. They recently just sent out an email, but there is talk (I think it's happening just not sure exactly when) of them building a Clinical Skills Lab for students to use as well. I don't know much more than that except that it sounds like it's going to happen and will probably be helpful for technical skills.
  5. During the summers, a lot of students do research. Some work in exotics over the summer if they'll be around. I did the Banfield Student Job Program summer after first year and it was a great experience. I loved my location and the vets I worked with and I learned a lot. Since then, I've worked there on breaks and if I don't match, I'm like 95% sure I have a job there already. Others do the trips, such as going to the Galapagos, Thailand or there is an awesome exotics/wildlife one in Brazil that people have done. Others just go back to where they worked prior to vet school. It's up to you and what experiences you want to gain.

As for clubs in general, there are ton and some are more active than others. Most hold at least one major wet lab a year. I also didn't mention that we alternate hosting the Special Species Symposium with Cornell. We're hosting it this year and it's a weekend of exotic/wildlife/zoo filled lectures and wet labs.

ETA: We also have a number of new clinicians who from the sounds of it are trying to incorporate more hands on stuff into lectures.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Here's a message I sent to someone else earlier about hands on experience:
So, the school is constantly working on trying to improve the hands-on aspect of the curriculum. Compared to some other schools, there is probably less hands on experience directly built into the curriculum but it is SO easy to get.
  1. The course we have built in to provide hands-on experience is call Intro to Clinical Vet Med. First year it teaches you the basics of how to write a SOAP, PE patients, etc but isn't super hands on. In second year, you are required to do treatment shifts in the hospital and out at New Bolton. This is probably where you'll get the bulk of your hands on time through the school. At the end of second year, you have a required practical exam doing a PE on a horse and cow. I think there should be a dog and cat one too, honestly, but there isn't yet.
  2. Several of the services (ES, Exotics are probably the big two) allow students to shadow at various times. It might not be super hands on because the 4th years will be working up their cases, but depending on need, it can be more hands on at times. At the very least, you get exposed to other cases and how the hospital works. Other services, including exotics, hire students to help out. I've seen like one student working in the fluids wards as a nurse at night, but I'm not sure how that all worked since all our nurses are CVTs and many are specialized. I just worked a shift though last night to cover for a nurse who couldn't get in due to the snow.
  3. ******* VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE ON THIS: There is a new class/elective if you want to participate at the shelters. I think it will still get you the same great experience, if not even improve the surgical experience. That being said, I've heard it costs $99 to take the course. I do not know if this is a one time fee and you have to keep enrolling in the course or what. The price wasn't stated upfront so people are a little annoyed, but I'd honestly pay that for the experience. ********There are a ton of outside school opportunities to provide experience. We have many shelters in the area that allow you to get involved from day one. Things might change a little with this as a new vet is in charge of the Shelter Medicine Club, but I think she'll only make it better. Through this club, I've been doing cat neuters since first year, spays since second year and went into 4th year with probably 100 if not more surgeries under my belt. This was great for me because when I went on my shelter/low cost spay neuters externships because I was given more leeway as to what I was allowed to do. There are also several vaccine clinics throughout the year that provide experience.
  4. They recently just sent out an email, but there is talk (I think it's happening just not sure exactly when) of them building a Clinical Skills Lab for students to use as well. I don't know much more than that except that it sounds like it's going to happen and will probably be helpful for technical skills.
  5. During the summers, a lot of students do research. Some work in exotics over the summer if they'll be around. I did the Banfield Student Job Program summer after first year and it was a great experience. I loved my location and the vets I worked with and I learned a lot. Since then, I've worked their on breaks and if I don't match, I'm like 95% sure I have a job there already. Others do the trips, such as going to the Galapagos, Thailand or there is an awesome exotics/wildlife one in Brazil that people have done. Others just go back to where they worked prior to vet school. It's up to you and what experiences you want to gain.

As for clubs in general, there are ton and some are more active than others. Most hold at least one major wet lab a year. I also didn't mention that we alternate hosting the Special Species Symposium with Cornell. We're hosting it this year and it's a weekend of exotic/wildlife/zoo filled lectures and wet labs.

ETA: We also have a number of new clinicians who from the sounds of it are trying to incorporate more hands on stuff into lectures.

Wow definitely answered my question haha thank you so much!!

I leave tomorrow for my interview Friday!!! So so so excited, I literally can't wait! Does anyone know if large animal people are selected differently than small animals? Like do they save a certain amount for each field, or does it not work that way? Anyways.. good luck to everyone coming this weekend as well, maybe I'll see you there!

I'm glad for you! Here's hoping the rest of us get that same luck!

I'm in the same boat... Haven't heard anything since the initial timeline email

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone think large animal people will hear back as quickly as everyone else has?

in that case it could be tomorrow right?? I honestly think it could be especially because it was such a small group