UPenn c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, this made me feel a lot better!
No problem! But definitely take every student’s experience into account. Only being in vet school will determine what you need to do to get through. For some it’s studying every day for 4 hours after class. For others it’s studying a few days just before an exam. Hell, I have a friend who is able to get an average score (so around an 85) by just going through the notes once a day before an exam. Everyone is so different, so your mileage will definitely vary. But one big piece of advice: don’t push off getting involved in things for fear of not having time to do it. You’ll probably find the time. Whether it’s student government, club boards, student employment, research, whatever. Find what interests you and get involved.

Disclaimer: if you’re always the kind of person who needs to bury their head in a book and isolate themselves in a corner of the library to study and never has free time, maybe disregard that last part. That probably won’t change in vet school. But if studying usually comes easily, and you’re currently good and finding time to do things you enjoy, then you’ll probably be alright taking on some other things. They don’t require much time outside of class and it can be good to foster new relationships in different settings.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when the NBC interview day is likely to be this cycle? I know they don’t interview 100% of the large animal interest applicants that day but I don’t want to start getting excited or stressed about hearing/not hearing anything until closer to that time since I indicated exclusively LA interest on my application.

The NBC interview day is January 31st, and all interview days are Fridays, if people are wondering about that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@staff_wielder do you think this helped your acceptance into Penn? Most of my experience is rodent research with 5 published papers and I'm hoping Penn will like that

Yo yo, I'm a very non-trad student. Some schools like to see a heavy research background. I think with the one health push, we're seeing less of the "rode my pony since I was 6, and I love animals" types and instead, we're seeing people from all walks of life. What with the world food shortage etc -- there are some sweet one health scholarships for people interested in food animal or policy work and all sorts of different things.

Depending on how you phrase your story, yes, the research will help a lot! I talked about wanting to use a vet degree to change how we use animals -- think 3D printing and organ-on-a-chip tech type stuff as I saw so much that animal models weren't great indicators of pathophysiology of human disease etc.

I linked my stats post here, check it out and if you want to talk about how to word your story for interviews, hit me up in the DMs :) Did you already put in applications or going to this upcoming cycle?

28 year old Male, Maryland resident, 1st time applicant

Nice to post here even if I wasn’t like many others who have been wanting to post here for years. Best of luck to everyone else in their decisions and choices. To echo a post above -- a special congratulations to those who have applied more than once -- you guys are amazing and have demonstrated true grit to have stayed the course.

Looking forward to making some really good, solid friends over the next few years, and meeting more of you guys in person :)

Applied: Colorado, Tufts, Penn, Minnesota, Virginia Tech, Washington State, Oregon
Interview Invites: ALL (except Oregon as no interview)
Accepted Interviews: Colorado, Tufts, Penn, Virginia Tech
Accepted for Admission: Colorado, Tufts, Penn (with 25k/year for 4 years scholarship), Virginia Tech, Oregon
Attending: Not yet committed, but most likely Penn unless I can get $ from another school. Colorado was the “dream” (mostly for my 2 y/o choc lab child -- she needs wide open green spaces! :lol:), but how can I say no to Penn’s $ offer?

Overall GPA: 3.62
Science GPA: 3.57
Last 45: 3.94

GRE (Q/V/W) -- (158/161/4)

Degree: B.S. in Biology (w/ Honors); Minors in Chemistry and Economics (c/o 2011)

Veterinary Experience
Shadowing small animal vet clinic: -- 160 hrs -- Oops! A little late to the realization vet med was for me -- but hey, goes to show you can get in with less than 200 hours ;)

Work Experience/Research
7 years
working at the NIH -- 4 years basic science and animal behavioral model work as a research scientist, followed by 3 years working at a Genetic Engineering Core -- genetically designing and producing mice for science research via microinjection/CRISPR technologies, and practicing cryopreservation/rederivation techniques. 4 publications during my tenure.

Animal Experience
Volunteer for a Labrador Rescue as an adoption coordinator (interview families & match with suitable dogs) -- 150 hrs
Coral Aquaculture/saltwater fish farm -- 320 hrs
Honey Bee Research Lab -- 300 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards
Oh, this and that, you know...
NIH 2016 Director’s Award for Service
Several semesters Dean’s List; Bachelor’s with Honors awarded
Martial Arts Black Belt
Volunteer at Medical Hospital in the Child Life Unit
Bilingual upbringing + learned 2 additional languages during schooling
Summer Volunteer in various places -- Kenya, Bahrain, Habitat for Humanity in the US
Avid Hiker/Backpacker with my 4 legged child -- climbed the highest peak in West VA, Bahrain, and the UK... (dreamed of Colorado 14'ers during application cycle and hopefully Kilimanjaro during summer 2019)
Swimmer -- high school, college (club team), and now master’s group -- my Penn interviewer was an Australian/swimmer -- maybe that’s why I got into Penn? :thinking:

LOR Evaluators
Family Veterinarian (where I also shadowed; have known for 15 years)
Director of the Engineering Core
University Professor (Head of the Biology Department)

Essays
Explanation Statement

Moved to the US at the age of 15 with my little sister (7 at the time) after being orphaned (one parent passed away, and the other abandoned us). Got shuttled around the world living in different countries with different relatives, until my dad’s sister (university professor) was able to organize our adoption and carved out a space in her heart and home for us -- gave us a second chance at life, created our little family of 3, and gave us an education. Something not many kids get a chance (let alone a second chance) to have. Extremely fortunate to find myself being able to apply to veterinary school, and in the position where I realize that [research] animals have less of a voice than others and that is something I want to change after having spent several years out in the field. Combining a veterinary medical degree with my research background puts me in a unique position to further the health and welfare of animals while also contributing to both human and animal medicine.

Note to future applicants: Be humble; be nice. Give a damn about living creatures -- both animals AND humans. Show that you are a kind, caring, and compassionate human being that can think about something other than yourself/grades/school/shadowing and have spent some time thinking not only about why you want to be a veterinarian, but also, what you want to do with the degree/how you want to make an impact/contribution to society -- that seemed to an underlying theme that all my interviewers were assessing on some level in my interviews whether stated or not (or at least, I thought so.) Talk slowly, articulate yourself, and don't be afraid to crack a joke and make your interviewers laugh :)

Ok, I’m done now!

Does anyone know when we will know if we got an interview or not... I applied to 13 schools and got interviews to 10 so now there are a lot of conflicts ! :(

Does anyone know when we will know if we got an interview or not... I applied to 13 schools and got interviews to 10 so now there are a lot of conflicts ! :(
I think last year they started sending invites again this Friday and then every week after that until the end of January.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a good problem to have :)

How did you feel about this first semester at Penn? Would you say the workload was extremely difficult but you were still able to handle it? Just curious what to expect out of first semester hypothetically.
Hi! I know you've gotten a couple replies to this. But I just wanted to mention they are redesigning the curriculum, so just be aware of that. The goal is of course to make it better, but the experiences of current first years and second years might not be 100% reflective of what it will be like for you guys and it might be something worth asking about at the interview. :)

How did you feel about this first semester at Penn? Would you say the workload was extremely difficult but you were still able to handle it? Just curious what to expect out of first semester hypothetically.

So for me the hardest part wasn’t the difficulty of any one class or even time management, but there literally never being enough time to manage and having to make conscious choices between my own well being and my grades, as well as adjusting to not being at the top of my class.
In undergrad I took 18 credits at a time, worked 30 hours a week, took care of 5 horses between my boyfriend and I, and took care of my younger brother when my mom decided to peace out of the country for a few months, and got a 3.88.

We don’t have our grades back yet (!!!) but I’m pretty sure I’m pulling straight B’s and I had to give up a lot of the things that kept me sane in undergrad I go to the gym less, see my boyfriend less, work 4 hours per week (yes my job loves me sane tbh there’s nothing I love more than placing catheters), and ride my horse less (see less as in not with a saddle in months) But all of this varies, because our exams were very clumped and midterms and finals were absolute hell with some relatively blissful periods in between, so hopefully things are better for you guys!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when the absolute last interview invites will be sent? I just registered for calculus at a community college (Penn is the only place I applied that requires it). I’m able to get a full refund up to 1/29/20 & would drop it if I was not offered an interview. Should all interview invites be sent by this date? TIA

Does anyone know when the absolute last interview invites will be sent? I just registered for calculus at a community college (Penn is the only place I applied that requires it). I’m able to get a full refund up to 1/29/20 & would drop it if I was not offered an interview. Should all interview invites be sent by this date? TIA

They do their best to get invites out at least two weeks in advance of the interview date, but it doesn't always work out that way. If it were me, I would probably wait a couple of weeks, and then email Rob Dimeo and explain the situation to him.

:p *constantly refreshes e-mail*

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they will be sending any more today??

Does anyone know if they will be sending any more today??
I think they all go out at once? But there are still three more weeks left to be sent out.

Just received an OOS interview invite!!!! But it’s for the same day that I interview at Michigan State. I’m so overwhelmed!

Reactions: 5 users
Nothin’ for me yet! Oh well

Have they sent out any rejections yet?

Yep, they sent out some in November & December, haven’t seen anything about this week.

Okay, thanks! Guess that means there is still a chance!

Does anyone know how many OOS are interviewed & how many OOS are accepted?

I got the same rejection email too today. I’d be interested to see their stats as they claim to not value gpa as much as experience ‍♀
Apparently I’m still in the running and my GPA is pretty low (3.4), and especially my last 45 hour GPA (id say maybe 3.1 if I’m lucky honestly). So you never know!

damn son. that's some rough ****.
I know :( I emailed Michigan to see if they can move me to another interview day. Just hoping they respond before the deadline to respond to Penn (1/8)

I know :( I emailed Michigan to see if they can move me to another interview day. Just hoping they respond before the deadline to respond to Penn (1/8)

Definitely ask Penn too! It can’t hurt to ask, the worst thing they can say is no! When I asked them about it a few months ago they said they can probably be flexible if needed.

IIRC, they’ll tell you if you want to reschedule that they will essentially put you back on the interview waitlist and if another spot opens up they’ll let you know but there is no guarantee and, anecdotally, I have never met anyone here who successfully rescheduled an interview, but I DO know someone who was told to choose between joining their athletics team at a national competition and their interview.
Food for thought re: rescheduling

Definitely ask Penn too! It can’t hurt to ask, the worst thing they can say is no! When I asked them about it a few months ago they said they can probably be flexible if needed.
IIRC, they’ll tell you if you want to reschedule that they will essentially put you back on the interview waitlist and if another spot opens up they’ll let you know but there is no guarantee and, anecdotally, I have never met anyone here who successfully rescheduled an interview, but I DO know someone who was told to choose between joining their athletics team at a national competition and their interview.
Their invite says “Your interview has been scheduled for Friday, January 24th and we cannot accommodate any rescheduling requests”, which is why I opted to email Michigan. MSU’s email says they can sometimes accommodate reschedules so I’m trying to be optimistic! If not, I’ll probably have to choose MSU because it’ll be cheaper with the GI bill :cryi:
(I’m excited about MSU too though! Just so no one interprets my post as me thinking less of MSU!)

Their invite says “Your interview has been scheduled for Friday, January 24th and we cannot accommodate any rescheduling requests”, which is why I opted to email Michigan. MSU’s email says they can sometimes accommodate reschedules so I’m trying to be optimistic! If not, I’ll probably have to choose MSU because it’ll be cheaper with the GI bill :cryi:
(I’m excited about MSU too though! Just so no one interprets my post as me thinking less of MSU!)
I hope everything works out for you! At the very least, it sounds like you have options and a competitive application, so congratulations regardless!!! :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I hope everything works out for you! At the very least, it sounds like you have options and a competitive application, so congratulations regardless!!! :)
Thank you!
Hoping you’re invited to interview as well!

Current students - what’s the COL like in Philly? Do most students live close to the school or do people commute? Does Penn offer much in the way of financial aid or scholarships? Are there many pet friendly places to live nearby?

Thanks! :)

Current students - what’s the COL like in Philly? Do most students live close to the school or do people commute? Does Penn offer much in the way of financial aid or scholarships? Are there many pet friendly places to live nearby?

COL is definitely higher than a lot of areas. But there are ways to keep it down. If you live with housemates and don’t have your own apartment it can be in the range of like $600-$700 a month. Definitely more than somewhere like Mississippi, but not horrible. If you live on your own it can be around $1100-$1200 depending on the apartment. Groceries are a little more expensive than other places, but doable. If you mostly cook at home you can probably get by with spending $300-$400 a month on groceries. That also depends on what kinds of things you eat. Travel is fairly cheap and if you want to get around the city it’s $2.00 each way with a SEPTA Key. Unless you live outside of University City you don’t need to spend any money on transportation to or from school.

Most students live in the city, and most live in University City near the school. I would say the majority live within 15 minutes walking distance. Some live in Center City which is around 25-30 minutes, but Philly is fairly bike-friendly so you can cut that in half with a bike. (Philly is also theft-friendly, so lock your bike up). A smaller percentage commute from out of the city. One of my friends commutes from South Jersey, which is obviously more time and less convenient but it’s doable. Another commutes from Manayunk which is a neighborhood of philly and farther than most people live. However, there are busses, trains, and trolleys that take you to and from most places in the greater Philly area and it’s not too bad.

Scholarships depend on a lot of factors, and I have no idea what they are given that I didn’t get any lol. I also wasn’t expecting any so it’s probably based off of GPA and other academic factors. I’ve heard of students getting around $25,000 a year l, and I think one student is offered a full ride.

Philly is extremely pet friendly. Especially around the vet school, most landlords are aware that the vet school is there and don’t have a problem with allowing pets in the apartment. I live in a fairly upscale apartment complex and even here is pet friendly. There is often a size limit on dogs, meaning nothing like a Great Dane or something like that. However some classmates have larger dogs (including one with a Great Dane) so you can absolutely find somewhere if you really want a large dog.

I won’t sugar coat this though: Philly isn’t a cheap city, and Penn is an expensive school. If you can’t move your Michigan State interview to avoid a conflict with Penn’s, then I’d likely go for the MSU one. The cost for you just seems like it would make too much of a difference. It sounds like you’re a very good applicant, so if you were to get a large scholarship then that plus the GI Bill could make attendance at Penn cheaper than MSU if MSU didn’t offer you as much as Penn. However, it wouldn’t be a good idea to bank on that since I don’t know that there’s really a formula to determine if you’d get a scholarship. Unless your life goal is to do laminitis research or canine mammary cancer research or do feline kidney transplants, I don’t think the benefits of Penn outweigh the cost compared to MSU.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for such a thorough response @ajs513!!

I’m really hoping I can swing both interviews because I’m interested in seeing what Penn has to offer. One of my letter writers is a Penn grad and she’s phenomenal - which, I’m sure some of that is just her but also giving some credit to Penn. She loved her time there, felt prepared to enter the profession after graduation, and has no regrets despite her student loans.

I don’t think I’m great enough to be offered a crazy scholarship but I won’t know if I don’t interview! But you are correct, MSU would be significantly less expensive with the GI Bill so if I can’t swing both, it would be the most logical to turn down Penn (though that would be heartbreaking).

One last question - if you have a car, is it ridiculously expensive to find a place to park it long term in the city??

Thank you for such a thorough response @ajs513!!

I’m really hoping I can swing both interviews because I’m interested in seeing what Penn has to offer. One of my letter writers is a Penn grad and she’s phenomenal - which, I’m sure some of that is just her but also giving some credit to Penn. She loved her time there, felt prepared to enter the profession after graduation, and has no regrets despite her student loans.

I don’t think I’m great enough to be offered a crazy scholarship but I won’t know if I don’t interview! But you are correct, MSU would be significantly less expensive with the GI Bill so if I can’t swing both, it would be the most logical to turn down Penn (though that would be heartbreaking).

One last question - if you have a car, is it ridiculously expensive to find a place to park it long term in the city??
Penn is an amazing school. The majority of Penn grads I’ve worked with have been fantastic doctors. But I’m sure that’s true for basically anywhere. One downside of Penn’s current curriculum is that many 4th years feel like they forget a lot of important stuff by the time they get to clinics. However, the NAVLE pass rate is consistently between 98 and 100% so obviously it’s not as much of an issue as is perceived, and the curriculum is being entirely overhauled as of next year to focus more on clinically important things and give students more clinical experience.

To answer your last question, it’s actually really cheap. It’s $35 per year for the first vehicle in the household. If you live in an apartment with 5 people I’m not sure how that works though. Either way, it’s not like in undergrad where you might spend $300 for the year to park in a parking lot that might be filled up when you go to park (*cough cough* my undergrad). It’s all street parking but is very accessible. Many areas have free street parking so you don’t even need a permit. But if you want to be able to park almost anywhere on the street that isn’t 2 hour parking, a permit is cheap and lets you do that.

I’m obviously not a PennVet student, but I did 3 years of undergrad classes there, so I can speak a bit to COL. My first and last year I lived in South Jersey, and the COL of living in a place like Collingswood or Cherry Hill is very doable. I managed to find an apartment in Collingswood that, when split between 3 of us, I paid about $450 total between rent/utilities a month. I took the PATCO and SEPTA train systems to commute to campus, it usually took between 45-60 min one way. So, you’ll likely save money living in NJ, but you sacrifice the convenience. Parking on campus is easy but expensive, public transit is cheap but inconvenient. You could, theoretically, save even more money living in Camden, but not advisable as it has a horribly high crime rate & I wouldn’t suggest walking anywhere after dark.

The year I lived in Philly, I was in a 2-bed with one other person in Center City, and i would say rent/utilities ran about $900 total each per month (and we were in a 4th floor wall up shoebox lol). I was able to walk to PennVet campus in about 30 min, and the bus got me there in about 15. Could also take SEPTA train if you live close to Market St, drops you off 4 blocks north of campus. I didn’t find groceries prohibitively expensive, and my only convenience complaint was that parking was an absolute nightmare. Strongly recommend getting an apartment with a garage or other off-street parking! Friends in Powelton Village paid a bit less on living expenses, friend around 43rd & Spruce paid way more (both University City). Parking is easier in University City than in Center City, but still no picnic on weeknights.

Honestly, I’d highly recommend people looking at Penn consider living in South Jersey - it really is not a bad commute either by car or train, and it saves you an INCREDIBLE amount of money. I am in a bit of a different situation if I end up at Penn, as I have access to free housing in NJ, which lowers my cost of living incredibly much. But there’s a lot of fun stuff in NJ, and you get a bit more space & greenery on properties. Definitely a good idea to have a car if you do, though.

That person and someone else in my year also tried and was told the same thing. I didn't realize they started saying you'd get put on the waitlist. Nifty.

Penn is an amazing school. The majority of Penn grads I’ve worked with have been fantastic doctors. But I’m sure that’s true for basically anywhere. One downside of Penn’s current curriculum is that many 4th years feel like they forget a lot of important stuff by the time they get to clinics. However, the NAVLE pass rate is consistently between 98 and 100% so obviously it’s not as much of an issue as is perceived, and the curriculum is being entirely overhauled as of next year to focus more on clinically important things and give students more clinical experience.

To answer your last question, it’s actually really cheap. It’s $35 per year for the first vehicle in the household. If you live in an apartment with 5 people I’m not sure how that works though. Either way, it’s not like in undergrad where you might spend $300 for the year to park in a parking lot that might be filled up when you go to park (*cough cough* my undergrad). It’s all street parking but is very accessible. Many areas have free street parking so you don’t even need a permit. But if you want to be able to park almost anywhere on the street that isn’t 2 hour parking, a permit is cheap and lets you do that.
@EngrSC

To get that parking permit, you need to change your registration and license over to PA ($3-500). Pine and most of Baltimore are examples of the free streets that ajs mentioned, so you can find parking. 7am-5pm, forget finding parking close by, you'll have to park 3-5 blocks away. Off hours, you'll be gucci. If you commute and want to park in the school parking lot, expect to drop 1k/semester on parking. It's not cheap at all. But it's worth it for the couple folk who live at home and don't pay rent. YMMV.

A couple of housing companies have studios and 1 bedrooms that are in the $900 range, just gotta be on the ball and get them early. Philly is weird and people re-up their leases 6 months in advance. It's not what I was used to (30-60 days notice of intent to re-sign or peace out) so keep that in mind. If you pick Penn, work on housing as quickly as you can.

There are several named scholarships, ranging in a bunch of amounts, the highest one is 37k a year, that I know of. Someone that's a non-science major but worked in an animal hospital for 5 years, while doing the science classes got that one. I know someone who never teched a day in their life and got one, so it all varies. Don't discount it. Penn has a big endowment so the chances are pretty decent that you can get some cash money. Penn has it's own internal scholarships, several 10k/year, around three 25k/year, and then the one health full ride. I think that's all the ones I fond out about from my digging at the time. There are a lot of other smaller scholarships to apply to that can help defray the cost. You just have to be brilliant like ajs who's chilling in his PJs killing it on the daily ;) to have the time and the GPA to apply/get them.

I’m obviously not a PennVet student, but I did 3 years of undergrad classes there, so I can speak a bit to COL. My first and last year I lived in South Jersey, and the COL of living in a place like Collingswood or Cherry Hill is very doable. I managed to find an apartment in Collingswood that, when split between 3 of us, I paid about $450 total between rent/utilities a month. I took the PATCO and SEPTA train systems to commute to campus, it usually took between 45-60 min one way. So, you’ll likely save money living in NJ, but you sacrifice the convenience. Parking on campus is easy but expensive, public transit is cheap but inconvenient. You could, theoretically, save even more money living in Camden, but not advisable as it has a horribly high crime rate & I wouldn’t suggest walking anywhere after dark.

The year I lived in Philly, I was in a 2-bed with one other person in Center City, and i would say rent/utilities ran about $900 total each per month (and we were in a 4th floor wall up shoebox lol). I was able to walk to PennVet campus in about 30 min, and the bus got me there in about 15. Could also take SEPTA train if you live close to Market St, drops you off 4 blocks north of campus. I didn’t find groceries prohibitively expensive, and my only convenience complaint was that parking was an absolute nightmare. Strongly recommend getting an apartment with a garage or other off-street parking! Friends in Powelton Village paid a bit less on living expenses, friend around 43rd & Spruce paid way more (both University City). Parking is easier in University City than in Center City, but still no picnic on weeknights.

Honestly, I’d highly recommend people looking at Penn consider living in South Jersey - it really is not a bad commute either by car or train, and it saves you an INCREDIBLE amount of money. I am in a bit of a different situation if I end up at Penn, as I have access to free housing in NJ, which lowers my cost of living incredibly much. But there’s a lot of fun stuff in NJ, and you get a bit more space & greenery on properties. Definitely a good idea to have a car if you do, though.
Just want to add real quick specifically about philly: seriously don’t live by yourself if you’re concerned about cost of living. My apartment is $1450 a month before utilities but I split it with my girlfriend. $725 isn’t bad at all for the apartment I have, but still not cheap. Other friends live closer to school and spend around $600 a month by splitting a large apartment with 5 people. But South Jersey is much cheaper even if it’s expensive in comparison to other parts of the country.

I grew up in South Jersey and spent break in Cherry Hill, and my god you forget how great the suburbs are. Quiet, peaceful, cheaper, guaranteed parking, bigger space for the price, etc. It’s just so much more convenient to do anything in the suburbs when it comes to things like going shopping or buying groceries. And South Jersey is really great. Not like other parts of Jersey (sorry for the shade people from other parts of Jersey). The only thing I would say is you have to decide what your time is worth. If you’re the kind of person who has trouble waking up, gets upset at 8:30 to brush your teeth and get dressed and run to get to school on time, living farther from school isn’t a good idea. But if you’re up at 6 on the morning, like to spend time making breakfast and going for a run before heading to class, commuting won’t be constrictive. One downside though is that it makes it more difficult to stay after class because you’ll then have a long commute. If you had to get up early to get to class on time and finished class at 5, it’s tough to want to stay out when you know you’ll be getting home at 9 o’clock. But aside from that there are a lot of positives.

That person and someone else in my year also tried and was told the same thing. I didn't realize they started saying you'd get put on the waitlist. Nifty.

@EngrSC

To get that parking permit, you need to change your registration and license over to PA ($3-500). Pine and most of Baltimore are examples of the free streets that ajs mentioned, so you can find parking. 7am-5pm, forget finding parking close by, you'll have to park 3-5 blocks away. Off hours, you'll be gucci. If you commute and want to park in the school parking lot, expect to drop 1k/semester on parking. It's not cheap at all. But it's worth it for the couple folk who live at home and don't pay rent. YMMV.

A couple of housing companies have studios and 1 bedrooms that are in the $900 range, just gotta be on the ball and get them early. Philly is weird and people re-up their leases 6 months in advance. It's not what I was used to (30-60 days notice of intent to re-sign or peace out) so keep that in mind. If you pick Penn, work on housing as quickly as you can.

There are several named scholarships, ranging in a bunch of amounts, the highest one is 37k a year, that I know of. Someone that's a non-science major but worked in an animal hospital for 5 years, while doing the science classes got that one. I know someone who never teched a day in their life and got one, so it all varies. Don't discount it. Penn has a big endowment so the chances are pretty decent that you can get some cash money. Penn has it's own internal scholarships, several 10k/year, around three 25k/year, and then the one health full ride. I think that's all the ones I fond out about from my digging at the time. There are a lot of other smaller scholarships to apply to that can help defray the cost. You just have to be brilliant like ajs who's chilling in his PJs killing it on the daily ;) to have the time and the GPA to apply/get them.
Do they notify you in your acceptance letter if you get a scholarship?