USUHS Psych Applicants Out There?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PtHopeful2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any USUHS applicants out there? The interview invites are due to come out in a couple of weeks. I'd like to link up and compare notes.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied but I'm afraid my chances are slim. Do you by any chance know when the interviews might be? I am trying by best to keep my commander informed. We have an inspection starting late Feb and I'm afraid they might conflict slightly.

Did you apply for the military or civilian track?

I applied but I'm afraid my chances are slim. Do you by any chance know when the interviews might be? I am trying by best to keep my commander informed. We have an inspection starting late Feb and I'm afraid they might conflict slightly.

I applied to the Air Force military track. I've been researching on this site and it appears that invites go out on the first week of Feb and the interviews occur in the middle to end of Feb.

Members don't see this ad :)

What branch are you in?

Air Force, well technically I am full time air national guard. I was previously active duty air force but switched a few years back.
Is this your first time applying?

Please drop a line here is you are contacted for an interview!

Is this your first time applying?

Please drop a line here is you are contacted for an interview!
It is! Have you applied before? I'm anxious to see what the interview is like. I've been in front of military boards before but I've never done a school interview before.

Last edited:
Looks like some received interview invites today according to thegradcafe. I however did not. Maybe tomorrow otherwise I guess I try again next year.

Hey guys!

I'm an applicant for the military track as well, still active duty in the Navy, and most interested in AF but would consider the other branches. :) To quell your fears, KaBo, the invites that went out are for the civilian track (to my knowledge) and the military invites are typically sent out a few weeks after. Don't lose hope yet! We all still have a shot, and could potentially be meeting one another soon!

Reactions: 1 user
I just received and email stating that it is unlikely I would receive am invite. So much for that. I didn't think my package was that bad that I wouldn't even get an interview.

I'm really sorry to hear that. The whole process is incredibly stressful. If you don't mind my asking, did you email them requesting the status of your application or did they just volunteer the information?

I'm really sorry to hear that. The whole process is incredibly stressful. If you don't mind my asking, did you email them requesting the status of your application or did they just volunteer the information?
I asked for the status. Hopefully you all have much better luck than I did

Thanks for the update. I know many people apply multiple times trying to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear that :( we're you the one that posted on grad cafe, koba? You were military track?
I was. It was unofficial, but I figured it was close enough. Now I can focus on this upcoming inspection and finishing my master's degree

Thanks for the update. I know many people apply multiple times trying to get in.
Time isn't on my side age wise being that I'm already 29. Plus I already have 12 years time in service. Such if life, just wasn't meant to be.

Time isn't on my side age wise being that I'm already 29. Plus I already have 12 years time in service. Such if life, just wasn't meant to be.

If you are planning on making a career out of it, I would apply again next year! Maybe volunteer in a research lab? I find that's the area we can most influence, if our undergrad GPA is already done with. That, and study more for the GRE and get bangin' SOPs.

If you are planning on making a career out of it, I would apply again next year! Maybe volunteer in a research lab? I find that's the area we can most influence, if our undergrad GPA is already done with. That, and study more for the GRE and get bangin' SOPs.
I might try to do that. Until then I'll keep focused on the mission. Can't do the whole fly fight win thing without someone to keep that cash flow in line. Finance might not be a glamorous job, but somebody has to do it.

Good morning!

I just called the graduate office, and they informed me that they haven't even gotten a list of names from the faculty for those who would be invited for interviews....so perhaps there is still hope? Names should be released in a couple days, and we will then hear one way or the other. Stay the course!

Reactions: 1 users
That's interesting... I wonder if that means my package was THAT bad? Are my stats completely horrible?

Undergrade in social psychology: 3.85 overall 3.93 major
Graduate in IO psychology: 4.0 still enrolled (graduate in may)
GRE: 152/152 (lessen learned do not take test while studying for NCOA, full time masters program, after working 12 days in a row, and did I mention I'm a mom of 2) probably need to retake that one.

Military awards: Civ of the Year for the Air Force (FM career field)
NCO of the year for my wing (all career field)
Employee of the year for Arkansas (all career fields)

Victim advocate for the SAPR program
SAPR training facilitator
Letters of recommendations showing strong leadership skills.

That's interesting... I wonder if that means my package was THAT bad? Are my stats completely horrible?

Undergrade in social psychology: 3.85 overall 3.93 major
Graduate in IO psychology: 4.0 still enrolled (graduate in may)
GRE: 152/152 (lessen learned do not take test while studying for NCOA, full time masters program, after working 12 days in a row, and did I mention I'm a mom of 2) probably need to retake that one.

Military awards: Civ of the Year for the Air Force (FM career field)
NCO of the year for my wing (all career field)
Employee of the year for Arkansas (all career fields)

Victim advocate for the SAPR program
SAPR training facilitator
Letters of recommendations showing strong leadership skills.
I think you have a good package! The only thing I see is lacking research experience....have you done any research?

Agreed. Research plays a pretty big role in getting into clinical psych programs. It's not unusual to take a year or two just to focus on doing research either as an employee or volunteer. There are a lot of opportunities with the VA to get research experience.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll have to look into that once I graduate this May.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in Arkansas too! Small world.

Aaaaaand I just called Miss Crum, who's another administrator for the PhD Programs, and I was informed (in sharp contrast to my prior post) that all invites had been extended. Obviously, I'm pretty heartbroken! My list of prospective programs is waning, as is my hope. I hope you heard better news, folks. Good luck to all.

Aaaaaand I just called Miss Crum, who's another administrator for the PhD Programs, and I was informed (in sharp contrast to my prior post) that all invites had been extended. Obviously, I'm pretty heartbroken! My list of prospective programs is waning, as is my hope. I hope you heard better news, folks. Good luck to all.
She was the one who told me it was unlikely I would receive an invite as well. I want to see the packages of those who were invited! They must be **** hot if you didn't get an invite either. I'm really sorry. I wonder why nobody posted to thegradcafe. I emailed the person she directed me to in order to ask what I can do to improve my package for next time.

She was the one who told me it was unlikely I would receive an invite as well. I want to see the packages of those who were invited! They must be **** hot if you didn't get an invite either. I'm really sorry. I wonder why nobody posted to thegradcafe. I emailed the person she directed me to in order to ask what I can do to improve my package for next time.

That's so odd...I don't know how I got such conflicting information. The gal I called yesterday was certain the interviews hadn't gone out yet due to bad weather slowing down the process. I don't want to hold on to any hope though and feel let down again. I am also confused as to why nothing's been posted on GC. Regardless, I emailed Dr. Waters to also get insight as to what I can do to improve. I'm sorry for both of us! I wish someone who DID get an invite would chime in here so we can get a little more information.

Miss Crum is the admin person for the Medical Psychology Program, which was supposedly a separate program all together from the Clinical Psychology program. I'm secretly hoping she was confused with both of us, and that she just doesn't know we meant the Clinical Track. Like I said though, don't want to reinflate my hopes. I'm going to see if I can contact the gal I spoke to yesterday...

Last edited:
I emailed him as well... No response yet but I imagine he is very busy. I hope we hear something concrete soon!

I haven't heard anything either. :(

For anyone who attended an interview, have you received an acceptance/rejection email, phone call, etc., yet?

Hey guys! Did anyone apply for 2017 or does anyone plan on applying for 2018? I don't know how active duty members get research experience, especially since pretty much everyone is forced to do online schooling. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hey guys! Did anyone apply for 2017 or does anyone plan on applying for 2018? I don't know how active duty members get research experience, especially since pretty much everyone is forced to do online schooling. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Hey all! I'm applying for 2018 but going for the civilian track. I hear it's much more competitive than the military track, though this varies by year. I think it's important to remember it's not make or break.

Heres USUHS take on research experience:
Coursework in statistics, chemistry, and biology, as well as clinical and/or research experience is encouraged.
Although grad schools really like research experience, if you note other relevant experiences (leadership, military, clinical, etc.) in the brief biosketch, this may also exemplify your personal strengths. Also, essay responses and personal statements can be worth a lot. Grad schools want you to prove that you have struggled and overcome challenges and will continue to do so with passion. USUHS seems to want applicants that are very passionate about serving and providing for service members. I would focus on this as well as strong letters of recommendation. Theres also the interview!
ALSO! Making contact/emailing with a faculty member may help you if your research interests match theirs (they will want you there!).
Best of luck!!!
Hope anyone else is applying for 2018?

Hey all! I'm applying for 2018 but going for the civilian track. I hear it's much more competitive than the military track, though this varies by year. I think it's important to remember it's not make or break.

Heres USUHS take on research experience:
Coursework in statistics, chemistry, and biology, as well as clinical and/or research experience is encouraged.
Although grad schools really like research experience, if you note other relevant experiences (leadership, military, clinical, etc.) in the brief biosketch, this may also exemplify your personal strengths. Also, essay responses and personal statements can be worth a lot. Grad schools want you to prove that you have struggled and overcome challenges and will continue to do so with passion. USUHS seems to want applicants that are very passionate about serving and providing for service members. I would focus on this as well as strong letters of recommendation. Theres also the interview!
ALSO! Making contact/emailing with a faculty member may help you if your research interests match theirs (they will want you there!).
Best of luck!!!
Hope anyone else is applying for 2018?

Hey, I am applying for Fall 2018 as well!

I applied as well. All I have heard is they were looking at apps last week and this week but no indication of when they are extending invites.

I applied as well. All I have heard is they were looking at apps last week and this week but no indication of when they are extending invites.
I heard that all invites "should" be extended before 1 February. Is this your first time applying? Are you military?

Yes, this in my first time applying. No, I am not military.

My first time, as well. No military experience

I applied too, first time. I applied for the military track but I am not military. I am a prior Air Force spouse.

Received an invite! Military track

Reactions: 2 users
I just got an email I am unlikely to receive an interview. Oh well. At least I know.