-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UTCVM c/o 2024 cycle
Started by hopeful_vet2026
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I wonder if they send them out in chunks like they did decision letters and if I didn't get one today if that means I won't LOL. What day is yours for? What time?
It was time-stamped at 4:55pm!
My interview is 11:30am on Oct. 18.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations!! Good luck! (as if you need it)
My interview is 11:30am on Oct. 18.
I am sure this sounds crazy but do you remember what day you got your interview offer last year LOL?
My interview is 11:30am on Oct. 18.
I definitely DO need the luck... haha. In my meeting with Ms. Shepard a few months ago, she basically said my interview is what kept me from my acceptance. I botched it... too nervous, rambled incessantly (and uncharacteristically). I need lots of prep!
And mmm.... I honestly have no clue, but my story is very different since I was an OOS applicant last year.
And mmm.... I honestly have no clue, but my story is very different since I was an OOS applicant last year.
MollyMcK
New Member
Hey, Does anyone know what are the dorm's policy for dogs ?
Assistance Animals (service animals and emotional support animals) are allowed.
Here to answer any and all questions you guys might have! I'm hoping to be able to help with conducting interviews this cycle 🙂
Hi! Thank you for being willing to answer questions. I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect thread on which to post my inquiries. UTCVM is my dream school. I had some questions about the prerequisites. For instance, the UTCVM website lists course requirements, and there is number after the course (ie "English Composition 6"). Does the 6 refer to semester hours, or to total credits? If the number refers to semester hours, does this mean the total number of hours per week a course meets? (for example, if 6 semester hours are required, does this mean 2 classes, if each class meets 3 hours/week?).
Additionally, I could not locate (on the UTCVM website or in other searches) anything about UTCVM accepting previously accepted AP scores to fulfill requirements. I received my BA in Political Science from UC Berkeley, and having passed the AP English Composition exam I was not required to take ANY English classes at Cal. I assume that I will have to take English Composition for UTCVM requirements, as there is no mention of AP scores being accepted by UTCVM. Is that a correct assumption? I also received a huge number of credits in Social Sciences/Humanities while at Cal. I assume those Social Science/Humanites credits from Cal would count toward my pre-reqs for UTCVM, regardless of where I will be earning my science prereqs, but I want to verify that assumption is correct as well. Thank you so much!
Hey there and welcome! It means credit hours, so you would need to separate three credit hour courses to fulfill the English composition requirement. As far as the AP credit goes, there is an equivalency chart that you can find on utk.edu Hey there and welcome! It means credit hours, so you would need to separate three credit our courses 250 the English composition requirement. As far as the AP credit goes, there is an equivalency chart on the web site somewhere, if you go to utk.edu and click A-Z at the top, I believe admissions next (or advising) you will find the chart somewhere in there. But, you might just want to call Deborah at the admissions office and ask her about the AP credit thing. I know for some courses I took for nursing school that were technically listed as 200 level courses but would have been 300 and up at a 4 year school I had to send in syllabus and curriculum details for them to evaluate.
Hi! Thank you for being willing to answer questions. I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect thread on which to post my inquiries. UTCVM is my dream school. I had some questions about the prerequisites. For instance, the UTCVM website lists course requirements, and there is number after the course (ie "English Composition 6"). Does the 6 refer to semester hours, or to total credits? If the number refers to semester hours, does this mean the total number of hours per week a course meets? (for example, if 6 semester hours are required, does this mean 2 classes, if each class meets 3 hours/week?).
Additionally, I could not locate (on the UTCVM website or in other searches) anything about UTCVM accepting previously accepted AP scores to fulfill requirements. I received my BA in Political Science from UC Berkeley, and having passed the AP English Composition exam I was not required to take ANY English classes at Cal. I assume that I will have to take English Composition for UTCVM requirements, as there is no mention of AP scores being accepted by UTCVM. Is that a correct assumption? I also received a huge number of credits in Social Sciences/Humanities while at Cal. I assume those Social Science/Humanites credits from Cal would count toward my pre-reqs for UTCVM, regardless of where I will be earning my science prereqs, but I want to verify that assumption is correct as well. Thank you so much!
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reiterating, but yes it refers to credit hours.Hi! Thank you for being willing to answer questions. I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect thread on which to post my inquiries. UTCVM is my dream school. I had some questions about the prerequisites. For instance, the UTCVM website lists course requirements, and there is number after the course (ie "English Composition 6"). Does the 6 refer to semester hours, or to total credits? If the number refers to semester hours, does this mean the total number of hours per week a course meets? (for example, if 6 semester hours are required, does this mean 2 classes, if each class meets 3 hours/week?).
Additionally, I could not locate (on the UTCVM website or in other searches) anything about UTCVM accepting previously accepted AP scores to fulfill requirements. I received my BA in Political Science from UC Berkeley, and having passed the AP English Composition exam I was not required to take ANY English classes at Cal. I assume that I will have to take English Composition for UTCVM requirements, as there is no mention of AP scores being accepted by UTCVM. Is that a correct assumption? I also received a huge number of credits in Social Sciences/Humanities while at Cal. I assume those Social Science/Humanites credits from Cal would count toward my pre-reqs for UTCVM, regardless of where I will be earning my science prereqs, but I want to verify that assumption is correct as well. Thank you so much!
As far as AP courses, UT accepted everything that my undergrad counted towards my degree, as long as it was noted on my transcript. So I had about 35 credits between AP and IB classes, which covered multiple pre-reqs, and since my undergrad had counted them for requirements on my transcript, UT had no problem counting them. Keep in mind that was 5 years ago now though, so I second the recommendation to double check with Deborah 🙂
Has anybody else IS heard back about interviews? I'm shocked more people aren't posting about it? Rooting for y'all <3
I know of 1 girl who did yesterday as well. But that's it so far! That I know of, I mean. And I am shocked as well, but also relieved. If tons of people were posting about their offers and I was siting here with none I'd be freaking
Has anybody else IS heard back about interviews? I'm shocked more people aren't posting about it? Rooting for y'all QUOTE]
FOR REAL.... has no one else gotten an interview yet??? What is going on!
I'm sorry 🙁 I hope you guys hear back very soon.FOR REAL.... has no one else gotten an interview yet??? What is going on!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I know what's up. You have a pretty high GPA, don't you? The other folks I know that received their offer on the same day as you also have super high gpas so I'm wondering if can you guys were automatically placed in a category above everyone else and now they are going through the rest of us peons 2 evaluate grades and experience and whatnot to see if we passed that first phase and then they'll send out other offers. That makes the most sense anyway!
I'm sorry 🙁 I hope you guys hear back very soon.
🙁 maybe, I'm not sure. I had a 3.76, I believe (everything being smashed together, anyways).
I would believe the phase theory, though. That makes sense to think that the categorical progression that they clearly outline on their admissions website would be used to make 1st wave, 2nd wave, 3rd wave (etc.) decisions.
But if you got an interview last year, dear, I'm sure you'll get another one this year. I believe in you!
I would believe the phase theory, though. That makes sense to think that the categorical progression that they clearly outline on their admissions website would be used to make 1st wave, 2nd wave, 3rd wave (etc.) decisions.
But if you got an interview last year, dear, I'm sure you'll get another one this year. I believe in you!
That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! [emoji6] And my brain says the same thing but I've heard situations where people don't get interviews on repeat cycles so until the fat lady sings.... Well, you know.
🙁 maybe, I'm not sure. I had a 3.76, I believe (everything being smashed together, anyways).
I would believe the phase theory, though. That makes sense to think that the categorical progression that they clearly outline on their admissions website would be used to make 1st wave, 2nd wave, 3rd wave (etc.) decisions.
But if you got an interview last year, dear, I'm sure you'll get another one this year. I believe in you!
For those who have been notified, how are you preparing for your interview?
Make sure you're well versed on current events!
Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile
For those who have been notified, how are you preparing for your interview?
Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile
futuredogtor2024
New Member
Hi everyone! New poster. I also received an interview offer for the 18th at 2!
Congratulations!!! Did you get yours back at the beginning of October as well, or was this recently??Hi everyone! New poster. I also received an interview offer for the 18th at 2!
I talked to Deborah yesterday - she said "even though interviews are set for the 17th and 18th, you might not receive notice until Monday of that week! But, I am hoping they will have everything done by Friday!"
futuredogtor2024
New Member
Thank you! I received it Wednesday afternoon.Congratulations!!! Did you get yours back at the beginning of October as well, or was this recently??
I talked to Deborah yesterday - she said "even though interviews are set for the 17th and 18th, you might not receive notice until Monday of that week! But, I am hoping they will have everything done by Friday!"
Ah, okay, so with the first round of invites! What are you academic stats, if you don't mind sharing? Good luck!Thank you! I received it Wednesday afternoon.
futuredogtor2024
New Member
My GPA currently stands at a 3.45, but that will be raised after this last year of undergrad.Ah, okay, so with the first round of invites! What are you academic stats, if you don't mind sharing? Good luck!
My GPA currently stands at a 3.45, but that will be raised after this last year of undergrad.
Is that for overall? Or, last 45, combined math/science, etc? I have different values for all of those categories lol
futuredogtor2024
New Member
Overall.Is that for overall? Or, last 45, combined math/science, etc? I have different values for all of those categories lol
futuredogtor2024
New Member
But I attend an academically rigorous school so I feel like they take that into consideration too and look at the specific classes taken.Overall.
Ah, okay, thanks for sharing! If they have already invited you to interview, you passed the first benchmark and your GPA is acceptable!! Sounds like you are a pretty good candidate - you should be proud for making the first cut! Is this your first year applying? There are members in here that have applied before, interviewed before, etc, and some that are already in the program....so LOTS of awesome help and support.
futuredogtor2024
New Member
Thank you for the encouragement! This is my first year applying. I’m so excited and nervous all at the same time! Do you have any recommendations on how to prep for the interview?Ah, okay, thanks for sharing! If they have already invited you to interview, you passed the first benchmark and your GPA is acceptable!! Sounds like you are a pretty good candidate - you should be proud for making the first cut! Is this your first year applying? There are members in here that have applied before, interviewed before, etc, and some that are already in the program....so LOTS of awesome help and support.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the encouragement! This is my first year applying. I’m so excited and nervous all at the same time! Do you have any recommendations on how to prep for the interview?
Congratulations!! 🙂
I'm a reapplicant, was OOS last year. But this year I am IS. I agree with hopeful_vet2023 in that you should definitely know current events. Crack open some recent JAVMA articles, look into some new studies, listen to podcasts to become familiar with the "softer" issues of vet med (my absolute favorite is PodcastAVet; if you like exotics and Australian accents, the Vet Gurus is a good one, too).
Know the following terms: compassion fatigue, burnout, imposter syndrome.... understand the ethical implications of several procedures such as devocalization, declawing, cropping, docking etc.
Try to understand people... it's too easy for us to just get angry at clients for not providing appropriate care. Abuse of course is unacceptable, but understand there are always financial and emotional factors that may or may not be obvious.
Make sure you just try to be you... find YOUR reason for practicing medicine. There is no one true answer to any question they ask you, just make it be YOUR answer. Try to dig in deep this week and a half and find your heart. Why exactly do you want to go into vet med?
Also, pro tip, don't ramble 🙂 that got me last year. I was MUCH too excitable, and it came across the wrong way. Just be true to who you are and it'll all be alright.
Congratulations 🙂 mine is on Oct 18th, too! Mine is at 11:30am, but I'll probably get there before 8am to try to relax beforehand.
hopefulvet16
New Member
Hi! I am a first time poster and first time applicant and was wondering if anyone knew if UT was going to send out more in state interview letters out? I thought I read somewhere where interviews are on the 17th and 18th and have just seen people posting they got interviews for the 18th and I'm hopeful the 17th interviews are still up for grabs.
As far as I know, they should be before tomorrow or the beginning of next week... I know it seems like not a lot of time...Hi! I am a first time poster and first time applicant and was wondering if anyone knew if UT was going to send out more in state interview letters out? I thought I read somewhere where interviews are on the 17th and 18th and have just seen people posting they got interviews for the 18th and I'm hopeful the 17th interviews are still up for grabs.
At interviews last year they said they aim to interview every instate candidate unless you’re obviously missing a part of the app (ex gpa is below cutoff). Things tend to run a little behind with admin so sit tight and hopefully you’ll hear soon.Hi! I am a first time poster and first time applicant and was wondering if anyone knew if UT was going to send out more in state interview letters out? I thought I read somewhere where interviews are on the 17th and 18th and have just seen people posting they got interviews for the 18th and I'm hopeful the 17th interviews are still up for grabs.
On that note, when February/March rolls around and you have a date to hear about acceptances, add a couple weeks to that for a more accurate timeline.
Did anybody hear from UT today?
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I'll be helping with interviews on the 17th so maybe I'll end up interviewing some of you! 🙂
Hello!! I received an invite the first week of October from UT for an interview on the 17th of this month. I believe this is the first round of interviews this year but I could be completely wrong. That's just the earliest date I have seen!Okay, so interview offers could be anytime between I guess Sept 17th and right before fall break? Do you know if they've begun to offer interviews yet at all?
Hey y'all, interview offers and in state rejections went out today. I was part of the unfortunate group that was rejected. Good luck to all of you interviewees!
Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile
Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I'm so sorry 🙁Hey y'all, interview offers and in state rejections went out today. I was part of the unfortunate group that was rejected. Good luck to all of you interviewees!
Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile
[emoji2368] Eh, well, what can ya do. I will try again next year. I'm not going to follow this thread anymore this year tho bc its just disappointing... BUT, I am cheering everyone on from the sidelines! I am still super excited and hopeful for everyone else!
I'm so sorry 🙁
Good luck to everyone IS on their interviews tomorrow and Friday. Remember to relax and smile. Try to have fun and be fabulous. 🙂
I cannot wait to meet some of you!!
I cannot wait to meet some of you!!
SummerDaxe1997
New Member
I’ll be there bright and early tomorrow for my 11:00 interview!
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Good luck guys! Hope you enjoy yourselves as much as I did when I was interviewing almost 5 years ago 🙂 Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anybody knew exactly when in December the IS applicants should find out from UT? Do we think it is because
the VMCAS app cycle next year will begin some time in January?
the VMCAS app cycle next year will begin some time in January?
futuredogtor2024
New Member
In the information session the lady said it will be by January 1st. It could be sooner or later, but to not freak out if it was Christmas Eve and nothing had been sent out yet.
Hi I had a random question. I applied as an OOS applicant and I was looking at how UT does their admissions process. I saw how it is set up into 3 phases and it is calculated based on points. Well me being the psyco that I am, I calculated all of my points for phase 1 since it is academics and I know those stats, but I was wondering if anyone knew how many points in the academic phase is considered competitive for UT? I am just trying to get a feel for whether or not I might possibly receive an interview invite or if I absolutely have no chance.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
It is entirely dependent on the applicant pool for the particular cycle, so the cutoff changes year to year. It's also hard to say based on academics alone since they will review the rest of your packet as well.Hi I had a random question. I applied as an OOS applicant and I was looking at how UT does their admissions process. I saw how it is set up into 3 phases and it is calculated based on points. Well me being the psyco that I am, I calculated all of my points for phase 1 since it is academics and I know those stats, but I was wondering if anyone knew how many points in the academic phase is considered competitive for UT? I am just trying to get a feel for whether or not I might possibly receive an interview invite or if I absolutely have no chance.
Does anyone know when OOS students receive invites/rejections?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 32
- Views
- 5K