Utk C/o 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are lots of nice little houses with yards. Some are even currently owned by other vet students that are looking for roommates. They are relatively inexpensive and a great option. Just have to make sure all the pets mesh well together.

Thank you, this is great!! I think I remember someone said that the school will send out a list of students looking for roommate, is that right? Anybody know?

I just got off the phone with Helen Sellers, she is our fin aid person. I told her about Chase Medical Education Program

http://www.chasestudentloans.com/medical/index_chep.html

She thought this might be a good loan, but she is going to take it to UTK's loan people to have them look at it. The only thing is that Chase has been slower than other bank to transfer the money to them. Helen will email me when she heard back from the loan people. I got the impression that many students go with edamerica. Not many students in the past choice to go with Bank of America, but this year have no origination fee, so BOA might be the better choice if I don't choose Chase as my lender. The only problem with BOA is you have to paid back the loan in 10 years, which does not seem possible to me. Also, I would not consider Suntrust because they don't lend directly anymore, they go through another company.

Helen suggest that we pick a lender soon for Stafford loans and wait until end of June before we apply for GradPLUS loans because they have not figure out cost of attendance (COA) for 08/09 yet. The board of trustee will meet on June 26th. After that, they will let us know how much GradPLUS loan we have to take out. Also, we should have all our COA covered by these 2 loans and we should not have to take out a private loan, which is great!!

I also asked her about Perkins Loans and Health Professional Loans, but UTK does not participate in those loans, which is too bad because their interest rate is fixed at 5%. Correction: they have very little money for Perkins loan, and they used it already. I hope this helps. I will post Helen's reply when she email back.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you, this is great!! I think I remember someone said that the school will send out a list of students looking for roommate, is that right? Anybody know?

I just got off the phone with Helen Sellers, she is our fin aid person. I told her about Chase Medical Education Program

She thought this might be a good loan, but she is going to take it to UTK's loan people to have them look at it. The only thing is that Chase has been slower than other bank to transfer the money to them. Helen will email me when she heard back from the loan people. I got the impression that many students go with edamerica. Not many students in the past choice to go with Bank of America, but this year have no origination fee, so BOA might be the better choice if I don't choose Chase as my lender. The only problem with BOA is you have to paid back the loan in 10 years, which does not seem possible to me. Also, I would not consider Suntrust because they don't lend directly anymore, they go through another company.

Helen suggest that we pick a lender soon for Stafford loans and wait until end of June before we apply for GradPLUS loans because they have not figure out cost of attendance (COA) for 08/09 yet. The board of trustee will meet on June 26th. After that, they will let us know how much GradPLUS loan we have to take out. Also, we should have all our COA covered by these 2 loans and we should not have to take out a private loan, which is great!!

I also asked her about Perkins Loans and Health Professional Loans, but UTK does not participate in those loans, which is too bad because their interest rate is fixed at 5%. Correction: they have very little money for Perkins loan, and they used it already. I hope this helps. I will post Helen's reply when she email back.

Yes, you will receive a packet with people looking for roommates sometime this summer. It surprises me she said no to health professions loan because you can borrow up to 30,500 or something like that from Staffords and she told me that the additional 10K was from being a health professional.

Yes, you will receive a packet with people looking for roommates sometime this summer. It surprises me she said no to health professions loan because you can borrow up to 30,500 or something like that from Staffords and she told me that the additional 10K was from being a health professional.

The Health Professional Loan is a separate and different loan from the Stafford Loan. Some Schools have it (Like Iowa State), some don't. This loan have a interest rate fixed at 5% which is why it is a better loan than Stafford loan. The Iowa State Fin aid person said that their students take out this loan before stafford loans. Health students do get extra money for Stafford loan.

I can't wait for the roommate packet!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love to live in a house with a yard and animals! I'm not going to be able to tear my pets away from my family so I'd love to help spoil someone else's pets :love:. I'll be waiting as well for the room mates list to come out so I can see if there are any good options available. But it would be nice to room with someone in my class since we're going to be working together for the next 4 years...

I am considering Chase because they just started a program called "Chase Health Education Program" that have interest rate at 5.8%, which is lower than the rate set by the government (6.8%)

I am going to call the UTK's Financial Aid office to ask about it. Will report back. If not, I am going to go with Bank of America, but I am concerned that they don't do private loans anymore, so I will have to go to another lender if I need additional funds, but hoping, desperately, that I will not have to take out private loan at an interest rate of 9% :scared:.

Also, Anyone considering living in a house with a yard instead of an apartment? It would be nice to have a yard for my dog and a place to grow some vegetables:laugh:. Nothing beats homegrown tomatoes and summer squash. Last summer, I harvested and ate so much squash that I had squash coming out of my ears and I could not look at another squash for 3 months. The good thing is that I lost 6 lbs on the all squash diet. Maybe some of us can rent a house together. It might be cheaper too. Thoughts, anyone?

Naomi and I are going to drive to UTK in our cars at the same time, since we both live in Southern California. We think it is safer to drive across the country together than doing it alone. If anyone lives in Southern California and would like to join us, please let me know!! The more the merrier!!

I am considering Chase because they just started a program called "Chase Health Education Program" that have interest rate at 5.8%, which is lower than the rate set by the government (6.8%)

I know I'm not a UTKer (sorry!) but I just wanted to jump in here...I'm pretty sure government rates (at least for Staffords) are now 6.0, not 6.8. They were 6.8 fixed for the past few years (starting after July 2006, I think), but they're supposed to be back down to 6.0 this year.

Also, I'd read the fine print very carefully on private loans claiming to be better than the gov't loans. They might be great, or there might be additional things (like grace periods, etc.) that you might not get with the private loan. (Oh, and don't forget about subsidized Staffords!! You probably don't want to pass those up, if you can get them.)

[/2 cents]

Hey guys. I'm going to be visiting Knoxville and looking at apartments June 15th-19th. I have a list of about 10 places I'm going to go look at. Anyone have any suggestions about places I should look at/definitely avoid, etc?

I noticed some questions floating around the facebook board for your class and I figured I'd answer some of them here, so one of you could repost the answers. (I noticed someone had already quoted me on there!)

Rabies Pre-exposure:

There is a nationwide shortage going on right now that doesn't exclude Knoxville, so you may or may not be able to get one once you get here. Your class is the first class that has it required for entry, so those of us that are already here and haven't gotten one are also looking to get one. They were going to set up for us to get one at school but it was scrapped after the health department said there was too much of a shortage. I just met with the occupational health nurse for the vet school, and they only students working there that get one this summer are people in a high risk category--working directly with wildlife, etc. If you have a chance to get one where you live now, take it. Your insurance may pay for it if you get a doctor to write a prescription for it. This worked for a classmate.

Living Arrangements:

If you want a house (rent or buy), I'd go ahead and get on that right away. As far as apartments, I found that most in the North require a 30 day notice for residents vacating, so if you're considering up there it would be more advantageous to come up in June or July. If you are looking in the West, they require a 60 day notice (in general), so start looking around 2 months before your move in date. I came about 60 days before my move in date and the places up North looked really confused and said since they only require 30 days notice, that I was up too early.

Good luck everyone!!

I'm glad someone finally addressed the rabies vaccine issue. I called my doctor and he looked into it, called the Department of Health and even whatever place it is that he gets his vaccines from, and they all told him that he could only get it if someone's already been bitten. So I guess I'll be giving UTK a call soon to figure out what I'm supposed to do now.

Color me confused. Where is this big demand for prophylactic rabies vax coming from? Why is this a problem now if it hasn't been in the past? This can't be an unexpected demand this time of year, so why is it suddenly unavailable?

Color me confused. Where is this big demand for prophylactic rabies vax coming from? Why is this a problem now if it hasn't been in the past? This can't be an unexpected demand this time of year, so why is it suddenly unavailable?

FWIW, I haven't heard anything about shortages in the DC area anywhere I've inquired about getting the vaccine series (at my doctor's office and at both the VA and MD Depts of Health).

Hi everyone! Congrats on getting into UTK!! I am applying this fall and don't have Cell Bio but other upper division science courses. I've emailed Ms. Shepherd to ask if they will let that slide, but haven't heard back yet...was curious to see if any of you didn't hve cell bio but something else to replace it...thanks!

BuckleyGirl, I didn't take Cell Bio either. I majored in biology and had to take an upper level molecular biology, so I took Molecular Prokaryotic Genetics and I also took Endocrinology. Apparently, that wasn't a problem with the admissions office. They never even asked me about cell bio, only about my biochemistry class about 4 times.

As far as cell bio, Dean Brace stopped me before I left after interviews and told me I needed to take it over the summer. So I did. Fortunately it was offered in the summer in the city where I was living.

Anyway, it is NOT the norm to be able to get out of it, so I would talk to them and work on a way to take it before you come here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pressmom (and other class of 2011 members): how much money is normally spent on textbooks, and where/when can we find out which textbooks we need for our courses?

Shemari, you won't spend nearly as much first year as we apparently will 2nd year. Ouch!

I would recommend that other than your anatomy book, you might do well to wait on texts. Most of the first year material is covered in the notes, and it wasn't that hard to get the texts from the library, in any case. If you are really just wanting to buy everything, I don't think first year books were all that expensive, certainly under $500.

We have a student run veterinary text book store called VBOT that is non-profit, and once your class is finalized, the bookstore manager will send you out an order form. I doubt you will find your books cheaper than VBOT sells them. Also, you might have luck borrowing them from your Big Sib.

In other words, patience. ;)

When you get your book list, I can tell you which ones are absolutely necessary. Miller's Anatomy of the Dog is for sure. The physio book is important 2nd semester (have to use it to do the work for the class). Also, look online at Alibris and Amazon or other places like that. I found my physio book for about 50% of the cost from VBOT and it was a brand new book (paperback version, however).

My doctor, when asked about the shortage, told me that she heard the problem was that one of the major manufacturers of the vx recently decided to stop making it- now there's a shortage. I heard that at NCSU the students for the fall have already gotten their vx...lucky buggers.

My doctor, when asked about the shortage, told me that she heard the problem was that one of the major manufacturers of the vx recently decided to stop making it- now there's a shortage. I heard that at NCSU the students for the fall have already gotten their vx...lucky buggers.

Actually, we were informed there would not be rabies vax clinics for students this fall due to the shortage. So, we're in the same boat.

So a question to all you in Knoxville right now. How friendly is the city to those without a car?

That article was great, moonpaw! :)

I am still waiting for info - I assume everyone else is too... I thought that everyone last year had all their info by now. It's making me le sad.

So a question to all you in Knoxville right now. How friendly is the city to those without a car?

There are people in our class who bike to school a lot, but it does rain here a fair bit and a lot of the roads are narrow and there are many bad neighborhoods immediately near school. I would strongly recommend a car for trips to the grocery and wal-mart. A couple of my friends share a car with their SO, but they do have one for groceries and getting to school at night. It just isn't a very bike-friendly town. :(

I've got to beg to differ, pressmom. Knoxville has over 40 miles of paved greenways, and my husband and I bike all over the place. Unfortunately, we don't have one that links to the northwest, so I can't bike from home, but if you live somewhere near a greenway, you can get to most of Knoxville, including UTK, via bike or foot. Here is a map of the existing greenways:

http://www.cityofknoxville.org/map/parksrec.html

We also have the KAT to Greenway program, meaning our public transit buses have bike racks and can get you to the greenways from lots of places:

http://www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/kat/web pages/Schedules/GreenwaysMap.asp

http://www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/kat/web pages/Schedules/GreenwayInfo.asp

To be fair, this isn't well publicized. Plus, traffic is generally so light that it sometimes seems like a hassle to ride the bus when I could drive more easily, but for someone without a car, you could get where you need to go easily enough.

That is true, critter. I had forgotten about the greenways. And if you're used to riding public transit, then that certainly is a possibility. But each time I talk to someone about biking to school or each time I see someone biking on Westland Dr. or Middlebrook Pike or any of the other major Knoxville roads, I hold my breath because the roads just don't have great bike lanes and speed limits are so high here.

Here's the general link to Knoxville public transport. You can see if it runs near where you're thinking of living, moonpaw.

http://www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/kat/

Thanks for the help, guys! I'm probably going to have a car, but I wanted to see if it would be possible to live comfortably in Knoxville without one.

That is true, pressmom. In fact, I hate it when my husband insists on biking on the main roads, because the drivers here definitely need a course in manners and they don't seem to respect the 4 foot law. Fortunately we do have the greenways, and I hope they will massively expand them.

WOOT! I finally got my packet of info from UT. I love how they start out with "In order to keep you from forgetting us..." As though we've been thinking about anything else!

Anyways, the books that are required are Wheater's Functional Histology, 5th edition, Veterinary Microbiology, 2nd edition, and Guide to Dissection of the Dog, 6th ed. I wanted to know if a) they really are useful, and b) if we'd be better off getting them used from the internet.

Thanks in advance! I wish I could say I'm all excited now, but after reading about how they want us to learn about anatomical, histological, and physiological terms over the summer, I totally bummed out.

WOOT! I finally got my packet of info from UT. I love how they start out with "In order to keep you from forgetting us..." As though we've been thinking about anything else!

Anyways, the books that are required are Wheater's Functional Histology, 5th edition, Veterinary Microbiology, 2nd edition, and Guide to Dissection of the Dog, 6th ed. I wanted to know if a) they really are useful, and b) if we'd be better off getting them used from the internet.

Thanks in advance! I wish I could say I'm all excited now, but after reading about how they want us to learn about anatomical, histological, and physiological terms over the summer, I totally bummed out.

The terms are really a suggestion that will help you. Unless they say its required, I wouldn't stress too much about it. Wheater's functional histo is a good book to get. I'd get it used online though. Same for Microbiology. You should get it because its good to be able to use for the case studies that are due throughout the semester. Definitely get miller's guide to the dissection of the dog. And get it new. You'll want a copy YOU can mark up.

On another note, if anyone wants to buy a used copy of the Anatomy textbook (not the dissection guide) or the immunology book, let me know.

I never used Wheater's, but a lot of other people did. I'd say that you don't NEED it, as Charmi and Holland's notes are pretty decent. You can probably borrow from a friend you study with if you need it one night. I did, however, use Tizard for Immuno, but a lot of people didn't use it.

Guide to Dissection of the dog is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL and you'll want a new one so you can color and highlight it up.

Veterinary Microbiology is necessary for Bemis' assignments and paper, so you'll probably have to pick that one up, but if you can find it used, that's fine.

Duke's physiology you'll need next semester. I, personally, found it helpful in that I didn't like some of the physiology notes first semester, but it's entirely up to you whether you get it now or later.

Thanks for the help, guys! I'm actually back to being excited now. Oddly enough, it was the SDI that did it. I've never really been to a small school, and filling out the SDI reminded me why I loved UT to begin with.

I'm with you moonpaw, I was so happy to see that UT packet in my mailbox!

This is kind of a off topic/ random question but what is the dresscode for us at school? Is there a dresscode? I'm just wondering if I'll have to update my wardrobe with more 'professional' type clothes. I'm usually just a jeans and tshirt kind of lady for everyday wear :) So I'll have to pick some stuff up if i need to look more spiffy!

I'm with you moonpaw, I was so happy to see that UT packet in my mailbox!

This is kind of a off topic/ random question but what is the dresscode for us at school? Is there a dresscode? I'm just wondering if I'll have to update my wardrobe with more 'professional' type clothes. I'm usually just a jeans and tshirt kind of lady for everyday wear :) So I'll have to pick some stuff up if i need to look more spiffy!

Last year, in our packets, there was information about the dress code (not sure about this year). And then the associate dean talked to us about it during orientation. I'd say that for most people in the class, that lasted a whole two weeks. Now people wear jeans and t-shirts to class. The downside of wearing jeans is that in the clinics, you're really not supposed to since you are representing the school to the public, though I'm not sure how enforced that is, if it all. I'd still have a couple sets of professional type clothes if I were you since it does start off that way.

Last year, in our packets, there was information about the dress code (not sure about this year). And then the associate dean talked to us about it during orientation. I'd say that for most people in the class, that lasted a whole two weeks. Now people wear jeans and t-shirts to class. The downside of wearing jeans is that in the clinics, you're really not supposed to since you are representing the school to the public, though I'm not sure how enforced that is, if it all. I'd still have a couple sets of professional type clothes if I were you since it does start off that way.

Thanks dyachei :D they didn't mention anything in this packet they sent out, so its good to know what I'll have to pick up to wear.

I definitely agree with dyachei that you don't really have to dress up. I would, however, dress up for orientation (except for the day you go out to the ropes course in the forest) since your picture will be taken for your ID badge that you will wear in clinics. You want to look professional for this, since they won't retake your picture even if you lose it. (They do take a couple of pictures that day and pick the best one, though.) Also, if you're a lady, and you're inclined, you'll want to wear make up that day, too. A fair bit of our class (myself included) doesn't wear make up on normal class days, but I did for the pic so that I'd look extra nice. :)

I am starting to feel unloved by the USPS and UTK. No packet yet.

Waaaaaaaah. :p

Do you think the international version of the histo book could suffice? I'm all for saving some cash.

Is anyone familiar with the Commons at Knoxville Apt Complex on Grand Ave? I blindly signed a lease after alot of researching online (I wanted to save money instead of flying down there) The realtor Tracey was really convincing saying it was a great place to live, but one of my future classmates Alanna said to stay away from that area. any one else have suggestions? I usually can deal with places that aren't 100% safe (I live in a crappy town in NY, not alot of crime but enough) but ever since I went off to college, I have a huge concern about it. Now I'm rethinking about the apartment and I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

Silly Filly, yes, I think that version would be fine. I also know Dr. Charmi has an extra copy or two and she has made offers on a couple of occasions to loan out her book. And the library has MULTIPLE copies. Your big sib might also be willing to loan it out to you for the semester. Histology is one of the classes you will find the most internet resources for, too, so don't stress too much about the book.

Shemari, I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with any of the apartment complexes because I bought a house. I would STRONGLY recommend against taking anything sight unseen, though.

Has anyone gotten any more information about financial aid? I went online and followed the directions that the paper told us, and then emailed them the lender I chose but I have not received any more information and I am starting to get concerned! Also...I still haven't gotten my packet! Am I the only one?

I am looking at the VBOT book and supplies list. Do we need 2 white lab coats, and coveralls? Do we really need to buy these items? Advice? Advice?

It is breaking my heart to see how much books costs. :scared:

I am looking at the VBOT book and supplies list. Do we need 2 white lab coats, and coveralls? Do we really need to buy these items? Advice? Advice?

It is breaking my heart to see how much books costs. :scared:

Well, I guess you could get by with one lab coat, but you really should get two. They can get pretty jacked up in gross anatomy lab and you'll want one to have while you're washing the other. Plus you'll want to protect your clothes when you're in there.

Yes, you also need the coveralls. You have physical diagnosis first semester and when you start messing with that cow butt to get a tail stick for blood, you'll be REALLY glad you have them. I wish I had the picture of a classmate who forgot her coveralls one day and the cow kicked manure all over her new jeans!

Thanks, Pressmom, for the advice. I never deal with farm animals before, I did not realize how mess it can get. In this case, it seems that the money spent will be well worth it.

Hello fellow UTKers, I have a favor to ask to anyone willing :) My parents are helping me move down to Knoxville the 3rd week in July but I can't move into my apartment until July 31st. I was wondering if there is anyone who would let me and my friendly cat stay with them in their apartment from July 25-30. I am willing to pay some rent and would really appreciate a helping hand! Please let me know if you can lend me a spare room/couch/floor for a couple days so that I don't have to spend money on a hotel!
Thanks so much!
- Amanda

Last edited:
Does anyone know have to apply for GradPLUS loan? Do we apply through the school or we have to go to the bank ourselves? I have heard nothing from UT about GradPLUS loans. Please help.

Did you all have fun yesterday at the ropes course? I had a great time meeting your class, you seem like a really fun group!

I think Moonpaw was in my group (Go Tigers?)

OMG TIGERS!!

Lisa?

And yes, yesterday was sooooo much fun.

Yep, that was me. :) See you tomorrow for book distribution.