-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UW-Madison SVM c/o 2024
Started by Cobyology
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I am! First time OOS applicant!
I am as well! First time OOS, non-traditional
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am! First time OOS! I am curious about their supplemental.
I'm previous years, the supplemental is fairly simple. They have 1 (maybe 2, can't remember) essays, then you put down additional experiences gained. There's a bit more to it than that, but that's the most important stuff.I am! First time OOS! I am curious about their supplemental.
Im back OOS.
I'm glad to see that you decided to apply again! Best of luck to you!!Im back OOS.
I hope its worth it!
dogdoc2024
Full Member
Hey guys! First year applicant. Anyone only applying here?
Second time OOS applicant. So would like to go to this school! They send their decisions via mail and I didn’t hear until March of last year, so I’m expecting another 6 mo wait this year too >.<
Where do you live? I thought all schools had to give an answer by February 15thSecond time OOS applicant. So would like to go to this school! They send their decisions via mail and I didn’t hear until March of last year, so I’m expecting another 6 mo wait this year too >.<
Where do you live? I thought all schools had to give an answer by February 15th
That is incorrect. Schools are not required to give applicants an answer by February 15th. The national deadline for an applicant to accept or decline an offer from a veterinary school is April 15th. I believe most schools aim to give applicants an answer before that April 15th deadline if that makes sense.
Haven't heard anything! I'm pretty sure they're supposed to send out a supplemental in November and I think I saw in a thread from last year that decisions come out sometime in February.
Has anyone heard anything from UW Madison yet?? Emails of reviewing applications or rejections?
Haven't heard anything! I'm pretty sure they're supposed to send out a supplemental in November and I think I saw in a thread from last year that decisions come out sometime in February.
The supplemental will come through in November/December. Then in February/March you'll get your final decision letter.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the supplemental application email :0
Me too!! : )Just got the supplemental application email :0

dogdoc2024
Full Member
One of the questions asks what we listed as our first and second career choices in the VMCAS essay. Did we have to explicitly rank our career choices in any of the essays?
I thought the same thing!! I don't think so, I think we just chose what we were interested in pursuing. It's weird they don't have mixed practice as an option since that's what I am interested in, so I am just going to put what I want first (small) and second (large).One of the questions asks what we listed as our first and second career choices in the VMCAS essay. Did we have to explicitly rank our career choices in any of the essays?
I would maybe flip large so it's your first option - it may make you more attractive a candidate as many people want to do small animal.I thought the same thing!! I don't think so, I think we just chose what we were interested in pursuing. It's weird they don't have mixed practice as an option since that's what I am interested in, so I am just going to put what I want first (small) and second (large).
I wrote Mixed into the Other categoryI thought the same thing!! I don't think so, I think we just chose what we were interested in pursuing. It's weird they don't have mixed practice as an option since that's what I am interested in, so I am just going to put what I want first (small) and second (large).
I thought about that after I posted that and also did that!I wrote Mixed into the Other category
I am not sure about format. I just included the information they said they wanted. Keep in mind they only want new or continuing experience since you've submitted your VMCAS application. If you already described your experience on your VMCAS application, do not describe it again! Just update the number of hours you have completed since submission.Does anyone know In the experience section, if they are looking for similar format to the VMCAS experience type section?
kittywampus23
Full Member
Random questions about UW: Why is it called SVM instead of CVM? What are the focus areas offered at UW?
anyone have any information on how much importance UW puts on the GRE? I know of someone applying who is 9 points below the composite GRE as an IS. Also 1 point below the analytical writing.
I have been researching that vet schools don't put a lot of importance on the GRE, but UW seems to have higher scores.
edit: @Cobyology
I have been researching that vet schools don't put a lot of importance on the GRE, but UW seems to have higher scores.
edit: @Cobyology
Last edited:
SVM: It’s just whatever the founders preference was, to my knowledge. No significance.Random questions about UW: Why is it called SVM instead of CVM? What are the focus areas offered at UW?
Focus areas: “The final year of the curriculum includes 12 months in clinical practice including a rotation in ambulatory service. There are five option tracks: Food Animal, Large Animal, Mixed Animal, Small Animal, and Others” They seem best known for agriculture and biomedical research. I found out about them through research - they have a very good reputation.
Hopefully a current student can answer this better.
Future_DVM_2023
Full Member
anyone have any information on how much importance UW puts on the GRE? I know of someone applying who is 9 points below the composite GRE as an IS. Also 1 point below the analytical writing.
I have been researching that vet schools don't put a lot of importance on the GRE, but UW seems to have higher scores.
edit: @Cobyology
When I applied last year, I met with the admissions director before submitting my application. She seemed to put some importance on the GRE. She told me if there was any reason I didn’t get in, it would be because of my GRE score which was the average of the previous years incoming class. However, she told me she didn’t think I should retake it because it was at the average, but if I didn’t get in I should retake it before applying again. I was accepted though and am a first year. I am in state as well.
kittywampus23
Full Member
Are the GRE scores they provide on the applicant statistics for 2023 averages? Everything else on the stats report states if it's a mean but the GRE scores do not.
Future_DVM_2023
Full Member
Are the GRE scores they provide on the applicant statistics for 2023 averages? Everything else on the stats report states if it's a mean but the GRE scores do not.
Yes, the GRE scores listed are the average of the class of 2023
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure on that one. Just from personal experience from past applications, it seems that UW does put more emphasis on academics. However, I've heard from past vets that UW is moving towards a more holistic process.anyone have any information on how much importance UW puts on the GRE? I know of someone applying who is 9 points below the composite GRE as an IS. Also 1 point below the analytical writing.
I have been researching that vet schools don't put a lot of importance on the GRE, but UW seems to have higher scores.
edit: @Cobyology
I would recommend emailing [email protected] to see if they have a specific breakdown on the admissions process.
cowsarecool
Full Member
Random questions about UW: Why is it called SVM instead of CVM? What are the focus areas offered at UW?
Hiya! Current first year at UW-Madison procrastinating studying for finals. SVM vs CVM has to do with School of Veterinary Medicine vs College of Veterinary Medicine. I agree, I believe it had to do with the founders preference. Otherwise they are exactly the same!
In terms of focus here I can speak to my experience thus far (I've only been here since August). We have a lot of research opportunities here! Professors and Primary Investigators (usually the same) are always happy to try and involve a student in their research or help you attempt to set up your own research! Nearly all of the non-DVM faculty do their own research and additionally we have a diagnostic laboratory that is available for students to get involved in.
An additional thing that I find very awesome if you like small animals is something called "Spay Day" where anyone can sign up and help the process of completing a large volume spay and neuter cat clinic that is housed by the SVM. I'm more of large animal person myself, but again a great way for students to get involved - and first years have the possibility of completing their own cat neuter at the end of the first semester!
Students have a million opportunities here to get involved in nearly anything possible. The school is well known for their research, especially in large animal (read: cows, there are lots of cows here). Additionally, it sounds cliche but pretty much anything you want to do there's someone here that known how to get you involved with your interest or who to talk to. For example, I walked in to the SVM very confident knowing that I want to practice in a bovine practice, one of the professors and I were talking one day and he gave me some great resources to find internships and job shadowing opportunities for the summer that he had personally done as a student and told me to let him know if I found anything else that he could look at and see if it was what I was looking for. Sorry to get a bit off topic, I just feel like this school can really cater to anybody and I can't speak highly enough of it!
TL;DR: Focuses are Research (cow research is a big part!), and any species under the sun as long as you're passionate about it
Does anyone else feel awkward about leaving an entire question blank? Like, my veterinary experience has been a continuation (+440 hrs) of my full time job at a vet clinic, but that's all I've been doing since apps were due. And though this is also employment experience, I can't write the same thing for the second essay question asking for additional employment experience. So in total, my first question is very short and my second one is blank. Is this okay? They really strictly said not to repeat anything, but I'm feeling weird about the blank space and the 4,000 character allowance.
I felt the same way! It was just an odd way to get $60 for a supplemental application.Does anyone else feel awkward about leaving an entire question blank? Like, my veterinary experience has been a continuation (+440 hrs) of my full time job at a vet clinic, but that's all I've been doing since apps were due. And though this is also employment experience, I can't write the same thing for the second essay question asking for additional employment experience. So in total, my first question is very short and my second one is blank. Is this okay? They really strictly said not to repeat anything, but I'm feeling weird about the blank space and the 4,000 character allowance.
I basically put the first question in bullet form and also left the second one blank. I felt like it was too similar to the first questionDoes anyone else feel awkward about leaving an entire question blank? Like, my veterinary experience has been a continuation (+440 hrs) of my full time job at a vet clinic, but that's all I've been doing since apps were due. And though this is also employment experience, I can't write the same thing for the second essay question asking for additional employment experience. So in total, my first question is very short and my second one is blank. Is this okay? They really strictly said not to repeat anything, but I'm feeling weird about the blank space and the 4,000 character allowance.
honeybooboobear
Full Member
Hi, I thought I saw somewhere that official fall 2019 transcripts have to be sent to UW by Jan 13, but now I can't find where I saw that. Does anyone know specifics about that? Thank you!
Future_DVM_2023
Full Member
Hi, I thought I saw somewhere that official fall 2019 transcripts have to be sent to UW by Jan 13, but now I can't find where I saw that. Does anyone know specifics about that? Thank you!
They just reformatted the entire UW SVM website and I’ve noticed a lot of things have disappeared or been super difficult to find now. I would just email admissions (Jenna Henshue) and asked her to confirm the date!
I haven't tried to look online, but I had it wrote down and it was January 13!Hi, I thought I saw somewhere that official fall 2019 transcripts have to be sent to UW by Jan 13, but now I can't find where I saw that. Does anyone know specifics about that? Thank you!
I just emailed them and they said January 13th!Hi, I thought I saw somewhere that official fall 2019 transcripts have to be sent to UW by Jan 13, but now I can't find where I saw that. Does anyone know specifics about that? Thank you!
Good afternoon,
As soon as your grades are all posted, please send your Fall 2019 transcripts to either [email protected] for electronically copies, or hard copies can go to:
University of Wisconsin-Madison
School of Veterinary Medicine
Office of Academic Affairs
2015 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706
We ask students to have the transcripts delivered no later than January 13, 2020. Please note that the transcripts have to be sent directly from your school. They cannot be mailed by you to us.
Best wishes-
Mary Fahey
Nope! Only if you have changes since your transcript was first submitted to VMCAS.If we already graduated and have no courses listed as planned for fall on our VMCAS, do they expect to hear something still?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
RegalRaptor
New Member
Does anyone know when they usually send out the acceptance/denial emails?
For all decisions?They snail mail in February/march
For all decisions?
Yes, at least that is what happened last year. They do not email and are very clear that they only snail mail with decisions, so make sure the address you gave them is the one you will be when they post out the letters
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess I’ll keep checking my mailboxYes, at least that is what happened last year. They do not email and are very clear that they only snail mail with decisions, so make sure the address you gave them is the one you will be when they post out the letters
I know we still have a while off yet but do you know what address they will send it to?Yes, at least that is what happened last year. They do not email and are very clear that they only snail mail with decisions, so make sure the address you gave them is the one you will be when they post out the letters
I know we still have a while off yet but do you know what address they will send it to?
whichever address you submitted as your mailing address
kittywampus23
Full Member
Has anyone sent their transcript yet? I just sent my official transcript through the clearing house electronically. Should I expect a confirmation email from the the SVM saying they received my transcript?
I can't send mine until January 2nd when my school's admissions office opens again... They don't do electronic yet, so I'm very worried it won't arrive on time.Has anyone sent their transcript yet? I just sent my official transcript through the clearing house electronically. Should I expect a confirmation email from the the SVM saying they received my transcript?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 628