UW-Madison SVM c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent my transcript via mail do they accept that...?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone sent their transcript yet? I just sent my official transcript through the clearing house electronically. Should I expect a confirmation email from the the SVM saying they received my transcript?
You won't get a confirmation from UW.
I can't send mine until January 2nd when my school's admissions office opens again... They don't do electronic yet, so I'm very worried it won't arrive on time.
Email the School and let them know about this.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Is anyone familiar with the process for becoming an in state resident after one year in Wisconsin? I’ve heard it’s possible but I was wondering if anyone had experience with it or knew if those requests are approved.

I’m looking on their residency website and it says you need to prove you’re a “bona fide” resident and not appealing for tuition purposes only. So do vet students have luck in establishing this?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Is anyone familiar with the process for becoming an in state resident after one year in Wisconsin? I’ve heard it’s possible but I was wondering if anyone had experience with it or knew if those requests are approved.

I’m looking on their residency website and it says you need to prove you’re a “bona fide” resident and not appealing for tuition purposes only. So do vet students have luck in establishing this?

Thanks!!
On a similar subject, marrying a resident? Is it possible to become a resident if you are already married and your SO becomes a resident?

Thanks!!
I was from Illinois and recieved my bachelor's degree from Wisconsin. I applied for residency after my 2nd year and it was a questionnaire about family, belongings, property, and future endeavors in your former state. Luckily for me all of my family relocated to Wisconsin prior to my arrival, and all of my belongings were in my possession now in Wisconsin. I do not know if it is different for veterinary students, and mind you I gained residency in 2011, so things may have changed since then. Hope this helps!

Has anyone gotten anything in the mail yet? Trying to be patient but the wait is killing me!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gotten anything in the mail yet? Trying to be patient but the wait is killing me!
Last year most people didn’t receive their decisions in the mail until mid-February

Last year most people didn’t receive their decisions in the mail until mid-February
I spoke with a recent graduate who got his before spring classes started (late January) so I was just curious. Thanks for the reply

I would guess you guys will hear within the next couple of weeks. Last year, our open house for admitted applicants was March 1. I believe that the open house will be February 28th this year (although don't quote me on that).

Reactions: 3 users
Out of curiosity has anyone gotten anything in the mail yet?

I know last year I hear back late January (was rejected), and many of my classmates heard back then too. I’m IS and went to UW so I’m wondering if that’s the reason I heard so early. The wait is killing me especially since I heard back earlier last year, but I’m trying to be patient!

Out of curiosity has anyone gotten anything in the mail yet?

I know last year I hear back late January (was rejected), and many of my classmates heard back then too. I’m IS and went to UW so I’m wondering if that’s the reason I heard so early. The wait is killing me especially since I heard back earlier last year, but I’m trying to be patient!

I haven't gotten anything yet, I'm also IS. Can I ask what your stats are?

Last edited:
The wait is killing me too. I just called the admissions department and asked. I was told that they don't have the details yet about when letters will be sent out but we can expect them around the middle of February.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I called the admissions office and i didnt say if i was instate or not but they said i would hear back around mid february. :(

I haven't gotten anything yet, I'm also IS. Can I ask what your stats are?
The wait is killing me too. I just called the admissions department and asked. I was told that they don't have the details yet about when letters will be sent out but we can expect them around the middle of February.

Ok! I guess I will just have to be more patient. Thanks for finding out!

Sure! I can share my stats.
IN STATE
Cumulative 3.50
Science @ UW: 3.40
Last 30 credits: 3.9

GRE: Q 154, V 158, W 4 ( I don't remember the percentages)

Vet hours:

-2,000+ mixed practice clinic vet assistant
-with supplemental application hours ~ 700 hours equine vet assistant
-20 hrs shadowing at a small animal practice clinic

animal hours:

At least 8,000 hours in equine related things. I've been riding since I was 8 and have done a lot of work as a stable hand and helped with riding camps and such. Also volunteered at my universities horse barn.
~ 100 hours of pet sitting

Non animal employment and research: None

Extracurricular:

pre-vet club for 1 year
lots of hours with my high school band I did marching band, jazz ensemble, and wind ensemble.

My application has drastically improved since last year. When I met with the Office of Academic Affairs to discuss how to improve my application, I was told I was a really strong applicant and it just wasn't my year last year. I was told my grades and GRE were fine. I was also told I needed to get more varied experiences, which I have some now, and also to put everything down on my application no matter how small it seems. I already got an acceptance this year from an OOS school, so I'm hopeful for an acceptance at UW this year!

First time IS applicant - very nervous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reading on last years forum and I saw that people were getting calls from the faculty on acceptance this week around thursday or friday. I wonder if they will do that again?

When Jenna (director of admissions) came and visited our pre-vet club in the fall, she asked us if we'd like to hear via snail mail or email about the decision because they have done snail mail but are thinking to switching to emails. She never mentioned anything about calls though. And I know someone in the class of 2023 that got it snail mail last year from them, so I am expecting snail mail in about 2-3 weeks

I was reading on last years forum and I saw that people were getting calls from the faculty on acceptance this week around thursday or friday. I wonder if they will do that again?
I am pretty sure the confirmation email after the supplemental app stated they will be sending snail mail and to verify your address. I am almost certain (99.99%) they NEVER call. Perhaps those calls were for other schools they applied to. Or they are exaggerating the story. Or someone was scamming them (which is an awful thought).

I am pretty sure the confirmation email after the supplemental app stated they will be sending snail mail and to verify your address. I am almost certain (99.99%) they NEVER call. Perhaps those calls were for other schools they applied to. Or they are exaggerating the story. Or someone was scamming them (which is an awful thought).
I think the only people who got calls last year were those who were invited to attend. Most standard applicants sounded like they got mail around the second week of February so I'm expecting next week sometime. I got this from reading threads from years prior so I could be incorrect.

They call OOS applicants

do you know when they call OOS is it usually the same week they send out acceptances? Sorry im asking so many question im just so anxious

Last year they called OOS a week or two before I got my IS letter (which was around this week). They called before they had sent the OOS letters.

Does anyone know if there are separate in state and out of state wait lists?? Or are they commingled and they just pull spots off the wait list of what type of student they need

Does anyone know if there are separate in state and out of state wait lists?? Or are they commingled and they just pull spots off the wait list of what type of student they need

They have separate wait lists for both, they keep a constant ratio with OOS to IS

Current first year here, for those of you in-states, you'll likely hear early next week or middle of the week. Look for a manilla envelope, if it's a regular envelope then its bad news (or you were waitlisted). Out of staters, its going to vary depending on where you live (snail mail and all) I also have heard from out of state classmates that they received a call before their letter came. But for those of you freaking out about the wait, it's almost at an end and good luck to you all.

Reactions: 6 users
Current first year here, for those of you in-states, you'll likely hear early next week or middle of the week. Look for a manilla envelope, if it's a regular envelope then its bad news (or you were waitlisted). Out of staters, its going to vary depending on where you live (snail mail and all) I also have heard from out of state classmates that they received a call before their letter came. But for those of you freaking out about the wait, it's almost at an end and good luck to you all.
Do you remember/know if they send it to your current address or permanent address?

Hi y'all! Class of 2023 OOS here, I got a call about a week and a half before my acceptance letter came in the mail. If I remember correctly my call came in the first week of February. To my knowledge they called all of the OOS people they accepted and snail mailed everyone IS. Best of luck to you all!!! Also if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you know what happens if your out of state and you dont get accepted? do you wait for the snail mail rejection?

Do you know what happens if your out of state and you dont get accepted? do you wait for the snail mail rejection?

Yes you have to wait for the mail to come for all rejections unfortunately, but you also have to wait for snail mail if you’re waitlisted. So if you don’t get a call you could still be on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
I saw someone asked this already, but I didn't see a reply, does anyone know if we should expect the letter being sent to our permanent or current address? I'm pretty sure I listed both but now I'm worried because I can't check it

I saw someone asked this already, but I didn't see a reply, does anyone know if we should expect the letter being sent to our permanent or current address? I'm pretty sure I listed both but now I'm worried because I can't check it

They will send it to your current address!

I called a few days ago to confirm my address since we can’t check it! She was really nice and wrote down my current mailing address-so if you’re worried just call!

I called a few days ago to confirm my address since we can’t check it! She was really nice and wrote down my current mailing address-so if you’re worried just call!

Oh thats great thank you! Which number did you use to get in contact with the right person?

I know I’m a little late to the party, but 2nd time IS applicant here. I’m sharing in all of your anxiety!

maybe we will hear back this week for OOS. Heres hoping!!

I'm IS 1st-time applicant and impatiently waiting haha. Has any other IS applicant heard or gotten a letter yet?

I'm IS 1st-time applicant and impatiently waiting haha. Has any other IS applicant heard or gotten a letter yet?
Havent heard anything yet. Waiting impatiently.

Nothing here. I am expecting a letter sometime this week though, based on when I received my letter the last time I applied.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nothing here. I am expecting a letter sometime this week though, based on when I received my letter the last time I applied.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Let's hope so! Was it just a letter or did they send an email too?

First time IS applicant here! I'm almost 2 years out of undergrad already, but I am soo excited for this potential opportunity to work towards my dream career!!! ❤ I just want to know already!!!!!

I have informed daily digest from the post office and I'm getting a small envelope from Wisconsin today, OOS. Looks like a rejection letter lol. But it looks like today will be the day many will find out!

Reactions: 9 users
I have informed daily digest from the post office and I'm getting a small envelope from Wisconsin today, OOS. Looks like a rejection letter lol. But it looks like today will be the day many will find out!
Same here. OOS (I think). And it looks like small envelope too. Maybe a waitlist? Fingers crossed!